Vhale

Remote Biomes

What about people who play DC but who aren't on the forums? If you do the "X breeds are only in the no-trophy biome, Y breeds only in the bronze biome, etc" how will they get them?

I'm not talking about newbies, but about people who have been playing for years.

And what happens when there is a new release? Is TJ forced to release 4 new breeds each time (one for no-trophy, one for bronze, silver, gold?)? They'd all have to have the exact same rarity and yet still people would be complaining because they couldn't get an x dragon because there aren't as many upper level people trading them or whatever. It just seems very exclusive, in a bad way.

The same way they get holiday releases. It's impossible I gather, due to ratios to guarantee that any dragon has the same rarity. But that doesn't stop releases in the current biomes so I'm not sure I understand how that would be an issue.

I'm getting the impression that people are very snakebit over shimmers and their train of thought is starting and ending with that, rather than considering the op sad.gif

In my head, I was thinking no more than 5 dragons each. Because the biomes probably would move slow. And the rarity would be no worse a new release. As far as blocker possibilities, well seeing all the low time CB eggs in the ap, I think it's safe to guess people would toss the cb they don't want to the ap. Which only helps spread the love around.

Those of you complaining about DC elitism: It's already here. See: Prize dragons.

This also wouldn't force people to collect dragons they don't like, unless they dislike all the blocker dragons. Like, for me, if I were doing this, I'd collect Grays, Guardians, Waterhorses, Waterwalkers, and Neotropicals. Albinos, Balloons, Whiptails, Dorsals... I still wouldn't collect them. And if you like Dorsals but not Waterhorses, you're free to collect an army of those, instead.

I think for all of us, there's a breed that's relatively easy to amass in large numbers that we can tolerate in large numbers on our scrolls. I think limits like 1000 are a little too high. If it were me, I'd have five hidden biomes, unlocked at 100, 300, 500, 700, and 900 dragons respectively. This is really not asking very much of people in exchange for access to exclusive breeds. Access to these "veteran" biomes would be easier than getting CB metals.

Another question I didn't see addressed (although I might have missed it) was the issue of grandfathering in older dragons. While I think it would be a little unfair, considering the demographics of DC and the low growth rate of the userbase, I think it would be much more effective if dragons that are already caught were not counted, and everyone had to start fresh at 0 when the secret biomes were implemented. (For convenience, older players could get a badge of some kind that keeps track of how many of your dragons count toward unlocking these biomes.)

Those of you complaining about DC elitism: It's already here. See: Prize dragons.

For that matter, there are already 'dragons everybody can't get' without having to gather other dragons first: the Guardian of Nature.

Though nobody seems to mind collecting Trios. smile.gif

Exclusive? Exlusive to a couple of hundred (or thousand) users for the first veteran biome, and in endless supply. Especially if the very first veteran biome starts at 500 - but even with 1000, there will be a lot of players willing to trade after they get their quota. It's not like with tinsels or shimmerscales where you have less than 100 players with exactly one CB each. Not to mention that they would be breedable...

To be honest, I think that the veteran eggs would soon (after 2 months?) go for no more than a couple of common hatchies, or one bred uncommon with a good lineage, or one CB desirable common egg like nebula or pink or red. Me? I'd probably trade CB eggs of them for two or three 2nd gen daydream eggs/hatchies with one holiday parent... Or 2nd gen purple ridgewings/sunsongs from sunsong/purple ridgewing crosses.

Exclusive in the same way that Prize Dragons are exclusive--a smaller portion of the entire active userbase, unless they've got nice shiny things to trade or are very lucky.

It's like having an exclusive store--only select members can shop there, but they're allowed to share what they buy.

The basic idea of it, though, that people can't try to catch it themselves and have to rely on trading or gifting to be lucky enough to get them is what annoys me. Prize Dragons are special because they're part of a special event.

The thing, though, is we don't know what the rarity of such eggs would be--would they be mixed in with normal eggs and be rare? Or would they be the only thing dropping and be common as mints?

If, indeed, they're common, then yes they'll be spread soon enough--but the idea is still a special dragon that only some players have the ability to catch for themselves. With the Prize Dragons, ever user has the same chance to enter the raffle and attempt to win. With these, if you don't have enough dragons then you don't get to try and catch them on your own. Which I don't like.

That, IMHO, would be worse. Because new releases are always in high demand, and people are willing to pay a lot for them. Plus, it would probably mess with the release in the regular cave, giving newer players a much harder time at catching them.

Yeah, that's probably true.

Less competition also means that the biome is unlikely to move pretty quickly/

Unless it's exclusives that they can then trade CB to people who want them. If there's more desirable eggs there, I'd imagine they'd move faster--because honestly, it's not much of a reward if you're allowed access to a special place and the only thing there are caveblockers.

So, someone who raised 4 dragons in 2008 and just came back would be allowed in any new biome? That doesn't sound right. Maybe if the number of viewing your own scroll while logged in could be counted for this, I don't know.

I did mention in an earlier post (or coulda sworn that I did) that there could be some sort of "activity restriction", too--like you have to be active for a month in addition to having met the time/dragon number requirements. If you go inactive, you'll have to be active for a month again to regain access. If you're a returning player, you'll need to be active (logging in at least once a weak, maybe something more) to gain access.

Well, if we're talking exclusive breeds, there's always the option of trading/gifting the eggs away, or just plain abandoning them after 5 hours. Newer players sure would love this!

But they'd be forced to sacrifice their eggslots--and if they're looking for nice things, odds are they're not going to fill all their eggslots with eggs they don't care just to gift/dump. Trade maybe, unless like you predicted they'd quickly become worth nothing more than commons.

Ahem, I suggested this only for a biome without rares, and probably even "real" uncommons to avoid this very scenario. Plus, the commons in there would be the same commons as in every other biome, the only benefit is that you could pick your commons without waiting for other players to pick up what's currently blocking the biome.

I actually rather liked your idea of the dragons changing with each refresh--if there's only commons (and no exclusives), then it doesn't really give any kind of advantage when it comes to getting the nice stuff, but makes it easier to get the ones you like. Great for lineages with commons if the commons are stuck behind blockers.

I would vastly prefer that over some kind of exclusive dragon(s).

It's not that much elitism if a large part of the player base can access them.

How can we be sure what the % of players is that are newbies vs vets? Are there more active vets than newbies? Or is it that active newbies still significantly outnumber active vets?

Honestly, the whole "you can work for it" thing to me smacks of the "you don't have to stay poor, you can be rich like me if you get off your lazy butt and actually work for it!" attitude...

Those of you complaining about DC elitism:  It's already here.  See: Prize dragons.

And I would like to not see more elitism thrown into the mix just because "hey, it's already here, some more won't hurt!"

Re: Biomes accessible ONLY at certain trophy levels:

I hate this idea with a burning passion. Enough so that I would seriously consider quitting DC if it were implemented.

I want to be able to hunt for the dragons I want, when I want (prizes as the exception, obviously). I don't want to not be punished for having too many dragons by not having access to the dragons I want. What if my favorite sprite was a bronze dragon? I would never be able to catch CBs of it on my own again. I'd have to rely on trading/gifting/stalking the AP. I just...

No. Absolutely not. I would despise that beyond words.

If I were a less honest person, I'd seriously just make new scrolls so I could catch the dragons available to users with less and send them over to my main scroll. And I can imagine a number of people wouldn't have enough qualms about it to not do it.

Oh gosh, no. No, no, no...

No worries, I was playing around with the idea of how to make it fairer at assorted trophy levels, to avoid the elitism issue. Problem is, I don't think we can.

Once there's a restricted biome to hunt, folks with access will be in that biome--not picking up 'blocker breeds'. And many will be taking those new eggs to the trading section to swap for rares, which folks without access to the new biome will be hunting in earnest, since a CB metal is already valuable even if they can't trade it for a CB trophy-dome egg.

Ultimately I don't see this suggesting incentivizing more common-hunting, but more rare-hunting, and possibly causing more breeds to fall into that 'can't swap 'em for spit' category.

No worries, I was playing around with the idea of how to make it fairer at assorted trophy levels, to avoid the elitism issue. Problem is, I don't think we can.

Once there's a restricted biome to hunt, folks with access will be in that biome--not picking up 'blocker breeds'. And many will be taking those new eggs to the trading section to swap for rares, which folks without access to the new biome will be hunting in earnest, since a CB metal is already valuable even if they can't trade it for a CB trophy-dome egg.

Ultimately I don't see this suggesting incentivizing more common-hunting, but more rare-hunting, and possibly causing more breeds to fall into that 'can't swap 'em for spit' category.

QFT. sad.gif

I hate this idea with a burning passion. Enough so that I would seriously consider quitting DC if it were implemented.

I want to be able to hunt for the dragons I want, when I want (prizes as the exception, obviously). I don't want to not be punished for having too many dragons by not having access to the dragons I want. What if my favorite sprite was a bronze dragon? I would never be able to catch CBs of it on my own again. I'd have to rely on trading/gifting/stalking the AP. I just...

Well I think I speak for most of General Discussion when I say, you aren't allowed to quit. And now Fuzzy is making sad faces sad.gif

So let's think. My first thought on reading your reply was that we can't really hunt anywhere we want all the time. We have to choose one biome or the ap. And we can't hunt when locked or when someone refuses to pick up blocker breeds. That doesn't really address the issue though.

So second thought was, what if there were these 4 trophy biomes. At each trophy, you get access to a new one. However, you can only HAVE access to one at a time. You can switch that, but only once a week(s). So people both have the choice, but also have to make a choice. In a way, it would be the same mechanic as seasonal dragons. Except the user would have more control over which they had access to.

I don't think there can be any more rare-hunting. I think rares are snapped up as quickly as the cave can stand, at this point.

I suppose what we really need to know is: How active are DC players? If we've already got our eggslots mostly filled all the time, an incentive to pick up more eggs won't help anything because we're already picking up all the eggs we can handle.

But, assuming the average user only has a few egg slots filled at a time, this could really help things. Give people an incentive to pick up blockers rather than wait around hoping for a rare. (I think extra slots that could only be filled by AP eggs, or eggs that had sat in the AP/cave for a certain amount of time would be helpful too.)

Plus, any elitism can be (I think?) eliminated if everybody starts their counter at 0 when the feature is implemented, and only dragons caught afterwards count toward unlocking the biomes. It's a little unfair to people who have helped clear the biomes/AP in the past, but it'll level the playing field for the future. Then it would just come down to who can raise dragons faster, and with such a large supply of eggs, and fansites, it's pretty much equal.

that's a very negative outlook, and one i can't share. there are so many old-time users who mainly collect rather unwanted or common dragons. most people hunt what they like the sprites of, and if that happens to be balloons, waters, guardians or a new egg is ultimately spread over the whole spectrum within the userbase.

Hunting for rares only? That's a rather newbie attitude. Yes, many people will take rares on their scrolls, but an additional biome with dragons that can be found there more often will not qualify for long as "rare"

The basic idea of it, though, that people can't try to catch it themselves and have to rely on trading or gifting to be lucky enough to get them is what annoys me. Prize Dragons are special because they're part of a special event.
But they can - once they "find" the biome. And everybody will find it, if only they put the effort into it. But even in 400 years, not every player can get a CB prize dragon.

The thing, though, is we don't know what the rarity of such eggs would be--would they be mixed in with normal eggs and be rare? Or would they be the only thing dropping and be common as mints?
Definitely very common, and probably not mixed in with "normal" eggs. Because that's the only way to ensure that people will abandon, trade and gift them without demanding a fortune in CB metals in exchange. (At least that's what I'd opt for.)

If, indeed, they're common, then yes they'll be spread soon enough--but the idea is still a special dragon that only some players have the ability to catch for themselves. With the Prize Dragons, ever user has the same chance to enter the raffle and attempt to win. With these, if you don't have enough dragons then you don't get to try and catch them on your own. Which I don't like.
Well, there's nothing stopping you from amassing the dragons you need for this. Everyone can do it.

I did mention in an earlier post (or coulda sworn that I did) that there could be some sort of "activity restriction", too--like you have to be active for a month in addition to having met the time/dragon number requirements. If you go inactive, you'll have to be active for a month again to regain access. If you're a returning player, you'll need to be active (logging in at least once a weak, maybe something more) to gain access.
You did - but others insisted on using either time since registration or number of dragons, whichever came first.

Honestly, the whole "you can work for it" thing to me smacks of the "you don't have to stay poor, you can be rich like me if you get off your lazy butt and actually work for it!" attitude...
Since there is no luck or good opportunities or connections needed, but just some dedication to the game it is possible to reach that goal - for each and every player. Even with a guarantee for success (unless they get burned). Raffles or contests, however, are a very, very different set of shoes.

I have to agree on the "biome per trophy level" issue, though. Somehow, this would make things pretty strange, and probably encourage multi-scrolling - one scroll for every biome... At least that's what I'd want to do if it was allowed.

Plus, any elitism can be (I think?) eliminated if everybody starts their counter at 0 when the feature is implemented, and only dragons caught afterwards count toward unlocking the biomes. It's a little unfair to people who have helped clear the biomes/AP in the past, but it'll level the playing field for the future. Then it would just come down to who can raise dragons faster, and with such a large supply of eggs, and fansites, it's pretty much equal.
Quite true. Gold trophy owners still would have an advantage, and players with their full quota of reds for incubating will have another one - but it's still the best compromise thus far.

Quite true. Gold trophy owners still would have an advantage, and players with their full quota of reds for incubating will have another one - but it's still the best compromise thus far.

That assumes that a change is needed at all.

that's a very negative outlook, and one i can't share. there are so many old-time users who mainly collect rather unwanted or common dragons. most people hunt what they like the sprites of, and if that happens to be balloons, waters, guardians or a new egg is ultimately spread over the whole spectrum within the userbase.

Hunting for rares only? That's a rather newbie attitude. Yes, many people will take rares on their scrolls, but an additional biome with dragons that can be found there more often will not qualify for long as "rare"

I have a gold trophy, a mint army, and a habit of random gifting if I've picked up something I don't really need and see someone else is having trouble catching it. I'm neither a newbie, an anti-common snob, nor a greedy antiglomper.

What I am is realistic.

A lot of people collect sprites they love--but that has nothing to do with new dragon releases, or hard-to-catch dragons. A balloon hunter in the biomes isn't going to skip the gold that pops up.

What I'm saying is that a lot of folks without access to a restricted biome will concentrate on trying to get things that trade well, so they can try to trade for one of the eggs they can't get. This isn't a newbie or a negative attitude--it's what's happening right now in the trading threads over Shimmers and Tinsels. People love their favorite commons, but they also love having a complete set.

I don't think there can be any more rare-hunting. I think rares are snapped up as quickly as the cave can stand, at this point.

Not more rares being hunted (can't do that one ourselves), but more people putting aside their regular missions and trying to catch rares, because they're perceived (right now) to be the only things tradeable, and more drama and hostility over that conception. More focus on finding rares to trade, instead of more focus on picking up commons. That's what I meant.

Edited by schmupti

I just have to say this; as far as scroll goals go, I intended at first to obtain 5 of every gender/colour for each breed (as adults, except unbreedables). As time went by, I found myself having uneven numbers of several breeds (most of which are actually commons), so while I myself am pretty flexible when it comes to scroll goals, most dragons "lose" value to me, once I have obtained what I consider to be my goals. I have a couple trios "over" the limit, but that's because I haven't been able to trade them away before they grew (sure, I could have gifted them, but I was after something specific.)

As for biomes? What I would like is to see a separate biome for Pygmies. I like Pygmies, but not everyone does, and they sometimes tend to sit and block for the rest of the eggs in queue. It's not like pygmies are rare, so I don't think putting those in a single biome would throw things too much out of what? It could be "Pygmyland". I'd also love to see unbreedables (dinoes, chickens, cheese, papers etc) in a separate biome, but that would defeat the purpose of those being classified as rare, I understand that.

Overall, I am pretty content with how the site is run, and I don't think there has been a single change I've not liked. I'm one of those not too hard to please. smile.gif

Edit: Sure, I'd like to see something extra implemented for each trophy level you achieve, but that wouldn't affect my playstyle (unless it included opening up more egg/hatchling slots. It's mostly the eggslots I fill anyway, not the hatchieslots.)

Edited by Miyon

This would actually only delay elitism. Current Gold Trophy users would have to play along with everyone else, yes, but in the future new players would be well behind those who'd been playing longer and the problem would still persist, so I don't think there's a point in delaying it. Plus, when trophy limits were implemented, people were immediately bumped up and it didn't cause that huge a fuss.

Still neutral on this idea, just pointing out my thoughts on that particular thought, ha ;w;

Since there is no luck or good opportunities or connections needed, but just some dedication to the game it is possible to reach that goal - for each and every player. Even with a guarantee for success (unless they get burned). Raffles or contests, however, are a very, very different set of shoes.

This times a thousand. Especially if older dragons don't count, so long as all dragons count equally, there's no reason for getting a lot of dragons to be harder for one player than for another. Maybe you don't want to do it, but that's exactly the point--to get people who don't want to pick up common eggs to pick them up.

What I'm saying is that a lot of folks without access to a restricted biome will concentrate on trying to get things that trade well, so they can try to trade for one of the eggs they can't get. This isn't a newbie or a negative attitude--it's what's happening right now in the trading threads over Shimmers and Tinsels. People love their favorite commons, but they also love having a complete set.

shimmers and tinsel mania? that's a minority issue, limited to the forums traders.

also, why are people so crazy about them? it has been pointed out in this thread time and again, that it's because they are super-rare. anything that would drop in a special biome would be a lot less so, because wild dragons would lay more eggs. even if it was only 2 cb each week, that would be 5 times the amount of cb gold tinsels ever given out that drop in a year.

I just don't want any more 'exclusives' stuff, even if the new exclusives would be commons. I don't want the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' to get any bigger than it is...as we know a lot of those that get these exclusives will charge an arm and a leg. I want things to be as fair as can be since this IS a game.

I also don't want to be forced to change my playstyle, just to access something. Heck, I'm kind of forced to change it in the first place just to even have a 'chance' at more valuable trade stuff...and I hate it. I may just give up on trading completely because of how bad things are right now because of the prize dragons and metal boom.

As I said before in this topic, I am picky on what goes on my scroll and there are a couple of breeds I refuse to have on my scroll at all (both of which are blocker breeds, in fact). There are certain other breeds I don't mind collecting more of, but the vast majority of those are not blockers, so I wouldn't be helping the blocker problem anyway. I'm not into making lineages either, so that 'incentive' doesn't work on me.

And having a counter that starts at 0 for everyone would put me at a disadvantage, as I have just about all my goals complete save for a few things. I hunt for what I need and I don't like having to pick up what amounts to 'excess, useless baggage' on my scroll. Unless, we get a tab feature or some way to hide the stuff we don't want to be visible, as someone else mentioned.

Of course this all goes right back to my belief that we would be better off just getting rid of ratios completely, as the blocker problem is only going to get worse the more breeds are added to the game. Just have everything have a set chance to show up/be bred....

The beauty of the thing is, it's not a pay-only biome, and it's not a prize biome. It's a biome that anyone can access if they play for long enough. Maybe it'll take you four months of steady playing to amass enough dragons to access the secret biome, but it's not like the biome is going to go away before you get to it. You have all the time you want to get there.

I think the key is to make the dragon quotas low enough that it's easier for someone to just gain access to the biomes themselves than to trade for them, and the only reason you'd trade for them is if you were really serious about keeping your scroll population low.

I just don't want any more 'exclusives' stuff, even if the new exclusives would be commons. I don't want the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' to get any bigger than it is...as we know a lot of those that get these exclusives will charge an arm and a leg. I want things to be as fair as can be since this IS a game.

Most games are about winning, outdoing others. (just saying)

Also, if ratios would be scrapped, then you'd need no hunting. Just make a shop to choose. Sounds boring? Yes, it is. You need a leetle variety.

Also, if you scroll goals are already so much complete, what will you do then? quit the game? thats not a good point to argue from.

This times a thousand.  Especially if older dragons don't count, so long as all dragons count equally, there's no reason for getting a lot of dragons to be harder for one player than for another.  Maybe you don't want to do it, but that's exactly the point--to get people who don't want to pick up common eggs to pick them up.

Well then, let's just ostracized people who don't like laggy, over filled scrolls. That's totally the spirit of the game.

Edited by Kirbyburn

I just don't want any more 'exclusives' stuff, even if the new exclusives would be commons.  I don't want the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' to get any bigger than it is...as we know a lot of those that get these exclusives will charge an arm and a leg.  I want things to be as fair as can be since this IS a game.

What are you talking about, "haves" and "have nots?" This isn't about who has more rares, it's about who has more dragons, including the dragons that have been sitting out in the cave and the AP for ten minutes now with nobody touching them. It's not about "haves" and "have nots," it's about "wills" and "won'ts." It's about who'll deign to clutter up their scroll with the dragons nobody wants to raise, and who will sacrifice egg slots to get eggs off the AP and out of the cave.

I also don't want to be forced to change my playstyle, just to access something.  Heck, I'm kind of forced to change it in the first place just to even have a 'chance' at more valuable trade stuff...and I hate it.  I may just give up on trading completely because of how bad things are right now because of the prize dragons and metal boom.

As I said before in this topic,  I am picky on what goes on my scroll and there are a couple of breeds I refuse to have on my scroll at all (both of which are blocker breeds, in fact).  There are certain other breeds I don't mind collecting more of, but the vast majority of those are not blockers, so I wouldn't be helping the blocker problem anyway.  I'm not into making lineages either, so that 'incentive' doesn't work on me.

And having a counter that starts at 0 for everyone would put me at a disadvantage, as I have just about all my goals complete save for a few things.  I hunt for what I need and I don't like having to pick up what amounts to 'excess, useless baggage' on my scroll.

As much as I hate to say it, this playstyle is exactly what is causing the problem with DC. Right now, everything about the site - the ratios, the AP blocking the cave, anything that influences what eggs people pick up - is based around the philosophy that people's scrolls should reflect the rarity of the dragons concerned. If I were to try and determine which dragons were rare and which were common from a given scroll, I ought to be able to see that.

As such, the cave tries to get people to play this way - to pick up more of each common breed than of each rare breed. However, it does a really bad job of this. It allows people to play in such a way that is detrimental to the entire site. It's passive-aggressive.

I'm not saying your playstyle is bad, or that I disagree with it, and I wish the cave was set up in a way that we didn't have to force people to collect lots of common dragons to "balance out" their rares, but I'm not TJ. The way the site is run currently, though, it causes nothing but trouble for everybody. If the cave is going to generate 10 Grays for every Gold, your best bet is to have 10 Grays for every Gold you have on your scroll - otherwise someone else out there has to pick up your slack, because the cave certainly isn't going to change just because people want equal numbers of every dragon.

Unless, we get a tab feature or some way to hide the stuff we don't want to be visible, as someone else mentioned.

This does seem like a feature that would have to be implemented before anybody goes demanding that people raise dragons they don't want.

Of course this all goes right back to my belief that we would be better off just getting rid of ratios completely, as the blocker problem is only going to get worse the more breeds are added to the game.  Just have everything have a set chance to show up/be bred....

This would also make the problem disappear entirely. Why TJ doesn't do it is beyond me.

Edited by ~!~

Most games are about winning, outdoing others. (just saying)

Perhaps, but there's no 'win' factor here is there, aside from personal goals? It's a bit like an MMO: there's no real end game unless you 'make' it an end game.

Also, if ratios would be scrapped, then you'd need no hunting. Just make a shop to choose. Sounds boring? Yes, it is. You need a leetle variety.

Not really, if it is set up right. You'd still have variety, just a set chance of what particular dragon shows up/is bred. Something like 60/30/10 for common/uncommon/rares (example only: I suck at figuring ratios out). Of those, then you'd have to have another dice roll on which breed in those slots would show up, maybe just make it random to save on headaches figuring out. Granted, my suggestion is still a ratio, but it's a set ratio that is determined by rarity not population.

Also, if you scroll goals are already so much complete, what will you do then? quit the game? thats not a good point to argue from.

I have yet to actually 'quit' this game: at worse I go on semi-hiatus/lurker while waiting for new releases to come out. My goals do change over time, but 'wanting' to collect a bunch of blockers is not likely to ever come about, as I collect things based on how much I 'like' the sprite, or how useful it is (e.g. I only have as many reds I do because of their BSA, otherwise I would have stuck to 1m, 1f, 2 frozen hatchlings).

Right how I still have a bit to do, like getting shimmers, lower gen tinsels, CBs and frozen of Seasonals I don't have yet...and of course an ND. Unfortunately, those are 'hard' things to do, since the market is a mess right now.

What are you talking about, "haves" and "have nots?"

I was talking mainly about Prize dragons here, which I have been in against the existence of since the beginning. The general populous will never have access to CB versions of those dragons, unless the 'In-Cave' variant proposed in one of the other threads goes through.

I like the rest of your post, btw.

Reading through this thread, I see people asking for all these rules and restrictions and for MAKING people collect types of dragon whether they like them or not - why not just ask TJ to open a 'Boot Camp for Dragon Tenders' as a separate thing, lol?

People play DC because it's fun, because they collect the dragons they want, even if they CHOOSE to help clear the AP taking dragons they otherwise wouldn't.

Families, older people, kids, all ages play here, to relax - not to be separated into groups or forced in their off-time gaming to do things they don't want to do.

Personally, I'm not going to let anyone FORCE me into picking up dragons I don't want, whether a carrot or a stick is built into the game to demand it - what kind of a collection *game* does that?

How is that fun?

Well I think I speak for most of General Discussion when I say, you aren't allowed to quit. And now Fuzzy is making sad faces sad.gif

So let's think. My first thought on reading your reply was that we can't really hunt anywhere we want all the time. We have to choose one biome or the ap. And we can't hunt when locked or when someone refuses to pick up blocker breeds. That doesn't really address the issue though.

So second thought was, what if there were these 4 trophy biomes. At each trophy, you get access to a new one. However, you can only HAVE access to one at a time. You can switch that, but only once a week(s). So people both have the choice, but also have to make a choice. In a way, it would be the same mechanic as seasonal dragons. Except the user would have more control over which they had access to.

I'd probably stick with the forums a bit, but I'd probably just abandon the main game unless things changed drastically to make up for it.

Yeah, I know we have to pick one location and we can't hunt when locked, but being locked is a choice--you can either lock yourself, or keep a slot or two open in case something good comes along.

It's the idea of not even being able to choose to hunt there that I really, really, really don't like. If I want to switch biomes, I can do that. If there are blockers, it's all a matter of being patient or opting to use some of my egg slots to move things along in the hope something better will come along--but I still have the choice of hunting in that area, even if it's moving slowly.

But with the idea of trophy-restricted areas, I wouldn't even have that option of lurking to see if there's anything good or deciding to grab-and-dump or code hunt blockers of a certain species. I would simply be banned from being able to look for certain species of dragons.

That's what I really do not like.

I'm not terribly fond of the idea of having to wait a week before switching biomes, but if a trophy-restricted biome-thing was considered something like that would make it infinitely more tolerable. At the very least we could still hunt for whatever dragons we wanted, just in a more restricted timeframe, like you said it's like seasonals.

I wouldn't be fond of something like it, but I would adore it compared to the idea of permanently blocking members from accessing dragons they want through means other than trades/gifts/AP finds.

But they can - once they "find" the biome. And everybody will find it, if only they put the effort into it. But even in 400 years, not every player can get a CB prize dragon.

Yep. everybody can! Some people just have to chuck their playstyle out the window and conform to a playstyle they don't like. That's why I'd be in favor of making it open up in time (with an activity requirement) as an option to the X number of dragons thing.

Definitely very common, and probably not mixed in with "normal" eggs. Because that's the only way to ensure that people will abandon, trade and gift them without demanding a fortune in CB metals in exchange. (At least that's what I'd opt for.)

It would be better that way, but I'm still not happy with the idea. I'd really rather see them almost blocker-level common to ensure that nobody tries to demand obscene prices for them. I mean, even dragons that are technically common can command some decent prices if they're CB or low-enough gen.

Well, there's nothing stopping you from amassing the dragons you need for this. Everyone can do it.

Yes, indeed--except, again, breaking playstyle for some players. Mostly, it just seems to me that it'd be making a certain playstyle the "right" way to play the game.

You did - but others insisted on using either time since registration or number of dragons, whichever came first.

I do think it should be "whichever comes first", as long as it has that activity restriction--it should be a reward for sticking with the game, after all. And there are different ways to stick with the game.

I have to agree on the "biome per trophy level" issue, though. Somehow, this would make things pretty strange, and probably encourage multi-scrolling - one scroll for every biome... At least that's what I'd want to do if it was allowed

Like I said, though, it'd be making the "hoard lots of dragons" the "right" way to play. It would officially make a "correct" playstyle, IMO. But maybe that's just me.

And yeah. I would want alt accounts. I wouldn't actually do that, but if even I would be tempted (and I cannot stand multiscrolling), then I can only imagine that plenty of players wouldn't really have the aversion I do and would do it--and I can even see how they'd feel justified. They put in all this time and effort--why shouldn't they be able to access the dragons they want?

This times a thousand. Especially if older dragons don't count, so long as all dragons count equally, there's no reason for getting a lot of dragons to be harder for one player than for another. Maybe you don't want to do it, but that's exactly the point--to get people who don't want to pick up common eggs to pick them up.

Personally, I see there being a difference between enticing somebody who doesn't love a common breed but doesn't really have any issues with it, either, into picking it up and forcing people to break their playstyle.