lamoxlamae

Abandoning lowers fertility and drop rates

Vhale, the rares you cited are unnamed, but do belong to players: Two belong to Leusia, the third to kaemen.

Still, maybe make dragons that have their eggs abandoned (and not raised/frozen by players) too often lose part of their fertility? Because, whether or not there is some evil intent behind it, if someone breeds 100+ blockers every week, this is a problem for the AP. (Yeah, this is kind of an order to spam-breed your scroll now... /sarcasm Has happened before that my comments caused this kind of reaction, and it was even publicly announced on these boards.)

olympe, click on the user name-- the scrolls have been burned

But we have a lot of players who might honestly not realize what they're doing is hurting other players.
and some who DO do it intentionally

I don't hunt very often but reducing my breeding ability- to facilitate rare hunting is a big NO.

Unless the fertility reduction is user specific

Ideas like this always have unintended consequences.

The real issue is that most players do not frequent the forums and don't really care what effect their actions may have. and there are not enough of the "Ap blocker keeper types" to make a real difference.

right now the AP isn't blocking the cave

Ultimately only TJ can program the game to change ratios.

"You can please some of the people some of the time , but you can't please all of the people all of the time"

Edited by dragonpuck

Vhale, the commons you linked are even-gen or even PB. If I pick up a even-gen non inbred albino/mint/dorsal in AP I will keep it, take good care of it and even breed it.

(I can't promise naming, but that's only because I've been away from DC for too long, I have 200-300 dragons unnamed now)

But long,messy lineaged common eggs - few people want them except for new users who randomly click on any eggs in AP. sad.gif

Commenting only on the OP's suggestion: Oh HECK freakin' no.

WHY is it that nearly all of the "clear the AP" suggestions are aimed at punishing breeders? Can someone explain that to me? Because I look at the AP at any random time and there are *plenty* of CB eggs being tossed in their. It's NOT all breeder's faults, and breeders should NOT be uniformly punished for what OTHER users do.

What if some CAVE-hunter shoves 7 mints into the AP when that 5-hour wait is up? Combine that with just a few random breedings, and suddenly you are saying that NO ONE can successfully breed mints until those are gone? How is that fair in any way at all?

I support ideas like AP eggs losing time, and more AP-grabber-incentive threads... I support things that do NOT target breeders for things that aren't under their control. (And yes, I realize some people mass-breed. But this suggestion isn't about mass-breeders, it's about limiting all breeders).

But then, you CAN find lots of CB stuff in the AP--just not usually the really good stuff.

You have no idea how much I hate CBs in the AP. I'd rather see an inbred mint than a CB stone that I can get from the cave any damn time I please.

Commenting only on the OP's suggestion: Oh HECK freakin' no.

WHY is it that nearly all of the "clear the AP" suggestions are aimed at punishing breeders? Can someone explain that to me? Because I look at the AP at any random time and there are *plenty* of CB eggs being tossed in their. It's NOT all breeder's faults, and breeders should NOT be uniformly punished for what OTHER users do.

Why is it that all the "breeders rights" crap is aimed at punishing cave hunters? In this game, breeders have all the power.

It looks like the core "people would mass breed commons to force pure rare CB drops" issue still hasn't been addressed (and probably can't be addressed with this suggestion, really), so as far as I'm concerned this idea is invalid.

There are still much better suggestions in other threads that would help the AP stay clear without hurting either breeders or the ratios in any way.

And... has anyone noticed that at the moment, even when the AP is full, the cave is staying open? TJ's messing around with things to make cave hunting better. As such, between TJ's efforts and the more game-friendly suggestions for fixing the AP, this idea really isn't necessary.

I am new here, and still learning with a mentor. So I may not fully understand the concept, but if it makes the eggs on the AP, including the common ones, less likely to breed, then I would be less likely to pick them up.

I did not run this comment by my mentor, though. laugh.gifninja.gif

Why is it that all the "breeders rights" crap is aimed at punishing cave hunters? In this game, breeders have all the power.

It's not. Look through the suggestions that people who disagree with this are putting forward and they're aiming for a balanced fix. Why on earth should we go from one broken system to another?

Also, as people have pointed out, the AP isn't full just because of breeders. I hunt Tinselkins in the AP, and the amount of CBs I pick up that have been grabbed and dumped to speed up the cave drops is huge and quite frustrating.

Frankly, lineage work has been what's kept a very large segment of players in this game, long after they collected all the CBs they needed for their scrolls. That doesn't mean that breeding is more important than cave hunting, but it does mean that it's a crucial element of the game and so fixing the issues with the cave by stalling breeding projects is a bad plan on many levels.

Also, breeders have taken hits in the efforts to fix this, too. That's why we don't have multi-clutches anymore, which many people miss and made lineage projects easier by giving people more chances to get the breed they needed.

Edited by skauble

I breed, I hunt the Cave and I am a fan of the AP, since at least half of my CBs have come out of there, as well as most of my Tinselkins and many of my beautiful lineaged dragons.

I do sometimes breed 2nd gen BSAs, (Reds, Pinks and Magis) pretty lineages and clean Tinsels for the AP, to give back what I have received from this amazing hunting ground. I usually do that when the AP gets low, although I don't think I've seen it empty completely since late January or early February now.

It always spikes with a new release or a holiday release, then settles back down in a couple of weeks. I assume it will start emptying at least once a day again, sometime soon.

BTW, it is frustrating when I've gone to the AP to hunt to find it completely empty. (I know, not lately! lol) But it does always balance out.

I see no reason why one should hurt people who aren't breeding just to abandon stuff.

Personally, I would suggest that you shouldn't even be able to attempt to breed while egglocked. It seems like there's nothing good that comes of this. Either people breed something they meant to keep/trade/gift and it got AP'd by accident, or people are spam-breeding just to fill the AP. If people want to intentionally abandon something, let them take the few extra clicks to do so from the action screen.

I see no reason why one should hurt people who aren't breeding just to abandon stuff.

Personally, I would suggest that you shouldn't even be able to attempt to breed while egglocked. It seems like there's nothing good that comes of this. Either people breed something they meant to keep/trade/gift and it got AP'd by accident, or people are spam-breeding just to fill the AP. If people want to intentionally abandon something, let them take the few extra clicks to do so from the action screen.

Gifting is a slow process. I'm too impatient to use gifting threads, and most of the people in IRC have been around for a while and already have all the stuff they want. Accordingly, I often breed 2nd gen Trios directly to the AP when I'm locked. I know they're valuable, because they get picked up--and much faster than they would if I'm manually gifting. Plus it saves me the time of having to go and abandon them one-by-one.

Honestly though, and I've said this before, will say it again, and probably will say it several more times--there are much, much better ways to go about finding a way to balance the breeders and the cave hunter's needs then this, which would screw with ratios for both breeders and cave-hunters alike.

Plus, again, cave isn't even blocking right now when the AP is full, suggesting TJ is changing thingsss

I oppose this, I breed to the AP all the time to spread my eggs around. Giving back to everyone else, as some of my favorite dragons were picked up in the AP. It would be unfair to decrease my dragon's fertility even temporarily just because I wanted to give people some nice-lineaged eggs for free.

And yeah the cave doesn't seem to get blocked by the AP now anyways.

Edited by TVTD

I don't breed for the AP unless I AM egg-locked, as I don't want to risk accidentally abandoning something I want to keep. This way my keepers, which may be the same breed, are not in the way.

How about this: you can only breed X percent of your dragons when you're egg locked.

Very few people (if any) have all their scrolls full of rares AND breed because they want to gift the AP.

So this does not affect people who just want to breed a few rares to AP, and stops those who breed every single messily lineaged stone/dorsal/albino they have, just to block the AP for whatever reason.

Personally, I would say no to this idea. I breed for the AP often, and I do my best to only breed things that would be picked up and appreciated.

For instance, I have a large horde of BSA reds that I breed every few weeks specifically for the AP. The AP is where I got my first BSA's back when my internet was far too slow to catch any from the main cave, and I try to help out those who might be in that same position.

Lowering the fertility and drop rates for stuff that's already hard to get (BSA, rares) doesn't make sense to me, and neither does lowering it for commons. I think it would just end up breaking the ratios between commons and rares.

Lol, actually, just leaving the Cave unblocked by the AP would fix things, as anything that goes ER or close to it in there will be picked up, if only for Freezing.

Yeah, it's too bad that nice dragons would likely languish in the AP until they reached that point, but somebody would eventually get them, hopefully while they could still be Influenced.

Maybe this is TJ's answer?

Because why does it really matter how many eggs are in the AP at any point, as long as there's something for people to pick through and as long as the lowest-time eggs predominately show first?

And, of course, Holidays!

I am curious if it is his answer. I am drooling over the ap eggies and did pick up some. I'm having to be very careful about not locking myself so I can still trade a bit.

Unfortunately, I am unable to pick up AP eggs anymore because I like my eggs to have the full seven days. So now I can only get them from the cave or from breeding. And no, i do not trade, either.

I strongly disagree with this. It sounds like it would make the current situation even worse, and punish users for other users' playing style.

Plus, I'm pretty sure TJ is tweaking things at the moment (full AP doesn't seem to block the cave any more), so let's see if it gets better from here before suggesting more changes.

Personally, I would say no to this idea. I breed for the AP often, and I do my best to only breed things that would be picked up and appreciated.

For instance, I have a large horde of BSA reds that I breed every few weeks specifically for the AP. The AP is where I got my first BSA's back when my internet was far too slow to catch any from the main cave, and I try to help out those who might be in that same position.

Lowering the fertility and drop rates for stuff that's already hard to get (BSA, rares) doesn't make sense to me, and neither does lowering it for commons. I think it would just end up breaking the ratios between commons and rares.

Well, I'm fine seeing that TJ is making the AP (by whatever system he set up, I don't know) full of eggs with only 5d~ left.

But see here. Yes there are people who intentionally breed to block the AP, although I can't understand why they would do it.

That was the point of my idea: Say you can only breed half of your dragons in a day. Are 50% of your dragons rare&BSA&uncommon? Few people have that ratio. And so, if in the past it takes 10 people mass-breeding with intentions to block the AP, now it takes 20. Which means the chances are less.

I am pretty sure the AP does not delete. If anything the worst that could happen is death due to time if an egg gets to that point

which considering people's natures, it likely will not.

I do not think for a moment TJ would do that, at all, ever.

In regards to lythe's comment about deleting AP

Considering the AP no longer blocks the cave, I don't think this suggestion is needed. smile.gif

With all eggs rolling up as low time now, the only consequence of a very full AP is that you likely won't see many high time eggs and that a few very unpopular ER things might die, but the former is hardly a bad thing and the latter case is very rare.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Well, I'm fine seeing that TJ is making the AP (by whatever system he set up, I don't know) full of eggs with only 5d~ left.

But see here. Yes there are people who intentionally breed to block the AP, although I can't understand why they would do it.

That was the point of my idea: Say you can only breed half of your dragons in a day. Are 50% of your dragons rare&BSA&uncommon? Few people have that ratio. And so, if in the past it takes 10 people mass-breeding with intentions to block the AP, now it takes 20. Which means the chances are less.

I'm one of the people who likes to occasionally breed rares (including tinsels, metallics, second gen trios, etc) into the AP. (Or nicely lineaged checkers/etc) and will purposely scroll lock myself before doing so to make it quicker.

I do not support this.

This would be seriously useful. I keep seeing the same eggs in the AP, and it's getting a little annoying. And the instant a rare one comes up, it's gone in a split-second. ~Myra