OrbiterSpore

PETA Attacks StarCraft; Zerglings are Friends

tl;dr: Whoever is in charge of PETA's resources has officially gone completely insane.

Gaming and PETA go together like peanut butter and some really ****ing stupid bugs that keep swarming over the peanut butter trying to get your attention. In their long and storied history, they have protested Pokemon glamorizing cockfighting, Mario glamorizing the fur industry, Cooking Mama glamorizing Thanksgiving, and recently, Assassins Creed glamorizing whaling. Not content to just sit back and look like a bunch of ***hats once a year, PETA are now planning to protest Starcraft II, for cruelty against the Zerg. I am dead serious.

"PETA—or, as we are renaming ourselves in honor of the expansion pack's launch, "Terrans for the Ethical Treatment of Zerglings"—will attend tonight's launch event in Irvine, California, and distribute copies of our new "Zerglings Have Feelings, Too" leaflets as a reminder that gamers and nongamers alike should have compassion for all beings—even those who are very different from us."

If this is a joke, it's a ****ing terrible one. It has all the sincerity of PETAs older videogame "parodies", just without the self defeating shock value.

"So remember, while Zerglings are not real, there are many equally "strange" and exotic animals we share this planet with who deserve our empathy. Just because crocodiles and snakes look alien to us, that doesn't make it OK to skin them alive for a handbag, shoes, or a belt."

Well, that's not completely accurate, as the Zerg are not reptilian, so much as insectoid, making them *SLAPS SELF* WHY AM I DEBATING PETA?!!?

PETA appears to be using this event to try and stir up discussion among gamers about animal equality, linking to a summary of the book Animal Liberation. I hardly feel I need to explain the problem with this, but for those of you who want to hear me rant: Attempting to promote compassion towards non-friendly looking animals by comparing them to videogame aliens doesn't work if the aliens are a race of hive minded killing machines who mindlessly serve the will of a malevolent consciousness. You god**mn hippy morons.

At this point, I would ask how any of you think PETA could possibly make a bigger jack*** of themselves, but I honestly can't see it. Still, if you wanna try. leave me a note in the comments. The most creative (stupidest) suggestion will be left on PETA's forums, just to see if they actually do it.

» Source: http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive...elings-too.aspx

» Tagged In: #community showcase, #PC, #PETA, #Publicity, #StarCraft II

user posted image

So let me get this straight; first you try to protect nonexistant creatures, now you want to protect nonexistant omnicidal maniacs? What next; Daleks? Metarex? Cy-Bugs? Seriously, this has the stench of laser-guided trolling from miles away. Sometimes I mention Facepunch as the lowest tier, but every now and then someone breaks that rock bottom and goes to the infernal ferrous core. Really: Facepunch is just LOLRANDUMB 9-year-olds and crapheads that can't cause even a A of reaction from people with a bit of brains. Now PETA, PETA is getting seriously ridiculous. Using of the videogames market as a backfire shotgun to their argument?

"-OH I CAN NEW IDEA. WE GO POST RANDOM SO WE FUNNY AND GET SAVE NATURE. THEN EVERYTHING PUPPIES."

Someone needs to put these guys down. Like, now. Before they implode the core and appeal to Really Bad Stuff "for the cause of animal rights" which seems to have been forgotten ages ago.

Also, live feed from PETA's fund management and general campaigning office.

PETA....I'm not even going to bother ranting about them too much, they're doing a pretty good job ruining themselves. They've been messed up for quite awhile, and their newest trend of targeting video games is doing a good job of making a mockery of themselves. Hopefully soon absolutely no one will take them seriously and maybe some actually GOOD animal rights groups (that don't kill animals) can emerge from PETA's filthy shadow.

PETA you are a laughing stock anymore. Why anyone puts any money into them anymore baffles me. They are not doing what they are supposed to be doing they just seem to be condemning everything instead of saving animals.

First Pokemon and now StarCraft? Do they not get that they are getting no where with this kind of thing at all and are wasting time and effort they could put into a better more productive project?

I think the people behind PETA just lost there minds. Do they not understand that video games are just codes and pixels and unless you are really messed up it is nothing but a simulation to people? *sighs* PETA please leave us gamers alone already. We've had enough. :/

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

I'm pretty sure most of them know it's a farce and are in it for attention/money.

PETA you are a laughing stock anymore. Why anyone puts any money into them anymore baffles me. They are not doing what they are supposed to be doing they just seem to be condemning everything instead of saving animals.

First Pokemon and now StarCraft? Do they not get that they are getting no where with this kind of thing at all and are wasting time and effort they could put into a better more productive project?

I think the people behind PETA just lost there minds. Do they not understand that video games are just codes and pixels and unless you are really messed up it is nothing but a simulation to people? *sighs* PETA please leave us gamers alone already. We've had enough. :/

Why did anyone put money into PETA in the first place, let alone now?

So I'm sitting here wondering if anyone from PETA put in as much effort as to read a wiki page...

Y'know, since zerg are a mindless hive mind species completely dependent on one dominant psychic omniconsciousness...

Considering the tactics they are fond of using, perhaps them focusing on video games is a good thing. At least for us and the animals.

Next PETA will probably target Dragon Cave, because it's possible to "kill" your dragons xd.png

I have never played StarCraft and know little about it, but I find this latest stunt of PETA's to be just as disturbing and as pathetic as the rest.

From my 10 second Google search I learned that the Zerg are a race of alien monsters that the protagonist must defeat for the player to win the game. Rather like many other video games out there.

For me, video games are another form of narritive, like films, music and books. In many stories enjoyed by the general populace, the hero defeats the evil force (symbolised by monsters, the villian, a plague, etc) in order to save the day. These stories have been teaching us since we were children that evil can be overcome and the monster/villian can be beaten, bringing peace and happiness and in the wake of their defeat (this doesn't always hold true in real life, but I think that is a different conversation).

Stories have power. They teach us about the world and how it works. They can inspire us and help us learn lessons we may never be able to otherwise. The best stories have a 'threat' to show that no matter how bad things get we can always hope, and fight for, a better future.

What PETA are doing here is trying dissuade us that the 'monster' of this story is a threat, even when it so blatantly is (like I said I have't played the game, so if the Zerg have any good features I'm sorry). If we learn not to treat danger with the respect and attitude it deserves or recognise it when it appears, we're screwed.

The Zerg aren't interested in being our friends or living peacefully side by side with us. They want to kill us. If they were real and I bumped into one, I'd have at it with a kitchen knife myself. Screw their feelings. I want to live.

Next PETA will probably target Dragon Cave, because it's possible to "kill" your dragons xd.png

Dragoncave isn't well know enough to warrant their attention.

Dragoncave isn't well know enough to warrant their attention.

It was a joke....

Why did anyone put money into PETA in the first place, let alone now?

I have no clue. I really don't.

@Nectaris

True they do wind up giving the games a promotion during that process. Hmm I guess let them continue then since it's just giving the games more attention.

I have no clue. I really don't.

@Nectaris

True they do wind up giving the games a promotion during that process. Hmm I guess let them continue then since it's just giving the games more attention.

I was actually referring to the harm they do when they focus on "saving" animals, like releasing non-native and unprepared animals into the wild, either causing a problem with them being invasive or killing them off because they don't know how to live in the wild. As long as they are focusing on harmless things like video games, they aren't harming animals as much in their attempt to "help" them.

If you stop taking them seriously (which I've done), then their campaigns have great entertainment value xd.png

I was actually referring to the harm they do when they focus on "saving" animals, like releasing non-native and unprepared animals into the wild, either causing a problem with them being invasive or killing them off because they don't know how to live in the wild. As long as they are focusing on harmless things like video games, they aren't harming animals as much in their attempt to "help" them.

I did not know they was THAT bad about things. >_<

I hope PETA will realize how much they're making a fool of themselves. And soon.

I hope PETA will realize how much they're making a fool of themselves. And soon.

Personally, I hope they don't. If they keep acting like this they'll become a total laughing stock and gradually lose the people who falsely believe they're doing any good.

To continue off this: PETA is also adamantly against no-kill shelters, and they have a history of taking perfectly healthy, adoptable, animals out of shelters and killing them rather than allow the pets the possibility of adoption. They have also in the past used scared tactics aimed at young children with some pretty messed up pamphlets. (ie: "Daddy is a Murderer" and showing a man gutting a fish with some graphic detail). Their tactics also have a way of putting a bad reputation on all animal rights groups because they tend to be the most vocal (and the most insane).

They're also known to invade people's homes, forcibly take their (often healthy and happy) pets under the pretense of "saving" them, and then kill them right in the van as they pull away. Remember a lot of PETA shock material is made in-house, as well. Or taken from photos of places that were already about to be shut down for their practice.

Back on the video game topic though, I'm actually kind of surprised that PETA targeted Blizzard for gaming based "activism" a second time. They held a big ingame demonstration against WoW one time as well because there were attackable seals in some of the zones. They gathered in large numbers on the shores and incited every troll on those servers in doing so.

They weren't on my server, but from what I heard, people had leveled their cooking just for that event and covered the beach with roast pigs as a massive counter-trolling tactic.

Edited by Lythiaren

They're also known to invade people's homes, forcibly take their (often healthy and happy) pets under the pretense of "saving" them, and then kill them right in the van as they pull away. Remember a lot of PETA shock material is made in-house, as well. Or taken from photos of places that were already about to be shut down for their practice.

Yeah, if anyone ever tried that in my area they'd likely get some buckshot to the face... We don't tend to wait for the police because they take their dear sweet time getting here... Heh. Several years ago we had two men yelling at each other with guns out threatening to shoot and it took them almost an hour to show up, so we kind of stopped relying on them after that.

The closest thing I can even think to compare the zerglings to as far as animals go would be ants... and even that isn't a very accurate comparison. Seriously, PETA.

Back on the video game topic though, I'm actually kind of surprised that PETA targeted Blizzard for gaming based "activism" a second time. They held a big ingame demonstration against WoW one time as well because there were attackable seals in some of the zones. They gathered in large numbers on the shores and incited every troll on those servers in doing so.

They weren't on my server, but from what I heard, people had leveled their cooking just for that event and covered the beach with roast pigs as a massive counter-trolling tactic.

I remember that incident....

I did see some Alliance and Horde members put aside their usual PvP shenanigans just to tag team up against the PETA 'hippies'.

The fun part - PETA couldn't complain that they were being killed, because 'hey - at least we're not killing the seals!'

And why Zergs? It seems like there are many games out there with an enemy race, why pick this one out? You could have gone for Skyrim(dragons are big and reptilian, even closer to their mark), Halo, Resistance, or any number of other games with similar themes.

Edited by Nectaris

Yeah if I remember right PETA was a part in Fable 2 Gameplay. I don't remember much about it because I only looked at the artical once. I remember something about if you ate meat in the game you would get bad points to something. As I said I can't remember much from it really wish I could but I can't.

Anyways I work and show at dog shows. I remember one year when someone from PETA came in and let dogs out of their kennels because it was 'inhuman' to have them in there. The dogs ran out into the buisy highway not far from the show and got hit by cars. Most of them died or became lost and never seen again. I never liked PETA I am just happy that they are shooting themselves in the foot more everytime I hear about them.

Yeah if I remember right PETA was a part in Fable 2 Gameplay. I don't remember much about it because I only looked at the artical once. I remember something about if you ate meat in the game you would get bad points to something. As I said I can't remember much from it really wish I could but I can't.

Anyways I work and show at dog shows. I remember one year when someone from PETA came in and let dogs out of their kennels because it was 'inhuman' to have them in there. The dogs ran out into the buisy highway not far from the show and got hit by cars. Most of them died or became lost and never seen again. I never liked PETA I am just happy that they are shooting themselves in the foot more everytime I hear about them.

Did that idiot get arrested or charged for any of it? I'd hoped they would have been forced to replace any and all dogs lost. All those owners without dogs and that person getting away with it is wrong on all levels.

They've actually poisoned dogs at dog shows too claiming it was more 'humane' for them to die then being paraded around a ring. rolleyes.gif