Pixxelation

Separate the Completed Dragons Progress List

Should the Completed Dragons Progress List be separated into a few different topics?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like my completed list as one post. =( If I've been looking at the list, whenever I go to it afterwards, it usually doesn't take too long to load.

I like it as one post as well. It loads fine for me (so a little biased I suppose) and it's easier/more fun to scroll through that way.

Maybe have a full completed list as well, for those who like to view it as one topic?

I don't really have a problem with the completed list and it's loading, since for me the list doesn't cause any lag, and I don't mind that I have to (im)patiently wait a few minutes for the images to finish loading. But splitting the topic might cause inconvenience as that's more threads to have to look at and keep track of. I know if I was the owner of a site with as many submissions as DC, I'd rather have them all in one spot, as that would mean less trouble picking out dragons. (Like, if I wanted four, it'd be easier to pick them from one spot then having to pick from multiple, because then if you have to go back and debate, there isn't a whole lot of back tracking to do.)

I like it as one post as well. But then it only "hung-up" my computer for a couple of seconds before it started to load.

Maybe have a full completed list as well, for those who like to view it as one topic?

Then that's seven sticky's, though. x3

Removed poll for you. o3o

Thanks for removing the poll!

It's not 7 if there are only 2 splits wink.gif Then it's 5.

i can open it... loads a while... dont care if its slow. I am used to slow internet. tongue.gif

I am against the idea of filling sections with tons of pinned topics, which is exactly what this would do.

TJ, maybe it could help if you have one pinned topic with links to the various lists, but the lists themselves either aren't pinned?

Another idea would be to create one sub-forum where nobody but you and the mods can post, but that anyone can view. This sub-forum would contain 26 topics: Completed List A, Completed List B and so on.

I personally have no trouble loading the list and I don't see the point in having many topics. I mean, it's the same amount of sprites you'd have to load anyway, plus you have to go back and click on a different topic to see the rest, wait for those to load as well and so on.

My 2 cents is that things will get more complicated this way. ^^;

On any other forum, I could agree with being against a lot of stickies, but the completed list? That forum is like no other in that there are very strict posting rules. I am not sure why having lots of pinned stickies is a bad thing, other than the most recent completed topics, most threads are brought up through the completed list.

I am neutral on it, to be honest. On one hand, it really doesn't cause me any problems, on the other, it is so long it is really easy to miss a great dragon because of the shear numbers on that page.

Edited by Nectaris

Since TJ's given a 'No' already, I guess it's not going to happen.

Which is a shame since I can't even open the completed list thread half of the time without it crashing my browser due to how much stuff needs to load. ): Oh well. I'd have liked this idea.

I am against the idea of filling sections with tons of pinned topics, which is exactly what this would do.

Judging by his post, he might be open to only 2 split topics and the full list. Anyway, he kept the thread open, which means he might consider it if it gains enough support.

I support this idea. Sure, it will add some stickied threads at the top, but that's just ONE downside.

The upshots are:

1. No lag, no choking your brower.

2. Easier to update for one, since I'd imagine it takes forever to load just to add a new breed.

2a. Because it'd be easier to update, the list would be maintained much easier and no breeds are lost/forgotten.

2b. If breeds aren't lost/forgotten, then all the hard work of spriters, writers, and artists doesn't go to waste!

So yes. For the sake of organization if nothing else, let's split it up.

^ I agree with Dragon Mage. Plus, it'd be easier for Mods to go through and add dragons to the list if it was separated at least into two separate halves.

I'm not really understanding the "negatives" to this suggestion? The pros really do out weigh the cons in this, especially if it's just in two topics.

o_O

I'll just point out that list editors don't deal with any image load lag. Splitting the topic might actually make it a little more difficult to edit the topics, but I'll let TJ worry about the intricacies of that.

I'll just point out that list editors don't deal with any image load lag. Splitting the topic might actually make it a little more difficult to edit the topics, but I'll let TJ worry about the intricacies of that.

It's not necessarily lag that I was referring to, but if the lists were split in half at least, that leaves less amount of dragons to scroll/sort through when adding the codes for a new breed.

Splitting the lists is either going to (briefly) put more work on TJ for editing or it's going to otherwise have absolutely no effect on list editors. I'm not saying you can't support this, but it's not going to make list editing easier (it will likely be exactly the same), so that shouldn't be on your pro list. ^^

I think this was suggested before and shot down but eh, worth asking again.

Can the completed list please be split up into a couple of extra topics? I realize it'll take a few extra seconds to look for similar concepts to one's own, but I think the lag reduction will be worth it. Right now trying to load the page to look at all often gives my computer a death sentence, and my computer's fairly good.

Not a bad idea. But how would you like to split it?

Letters A-F, G-L, M-R, S-Z? (Yes, I know that the last group has the most letters. But, seriously, how many concepts start with U, V, X, Y or even Z?)

Breeding categories? Unbreedables, regular dragons (by far the largest group), drakes, multi-headed dragons, pygmies?

Yes, I was the one who originally suggested it. Sadly, it was shot down because some people don't have problems loading it, and a few mods voiced concern over having problems updating the list because of it; the list is not a normal thread, but rather some sort of program/semi-automated thing, to my understanding.

I still support keeping a full list, as well as a few versions split alphabetically. This is the best compromise, IMO, and would make it much easier to view the list.

Not a bad idea. But how would you like to split it?

Letters A-F, G-L, M-R, S-Z? (Yes, I know that the last group has the most letters. But, seriously, how many concepts start with U, V, X, Y or even Z?)

Breeding categories? Unbreedables, regular dragons (by far the largest group), drakes, multi-headed dragons, pygmies?

I think an alphabetical sort like that would be best.

Maybe it is better having it hard to see for some people -- then less dragons are "remembered" and as a result can be released quicker.

Would you also think so if you were one of those people unable to view the Completed List?