Lila

School/University/College

Thankfully I don't start till next week, but I'm still nervous about it.

D:

Oh, and here's a fairly big tip that I kinda forgot about, and 2 more for the road:

12. First day of class, always AT LEAST have something to take notes. In high school, first day of each class was usually "sylabus discussion and getting to know classmates and/or discuss the subject without needing supplies since you likely wouldn't have the supplies needed to start.

Some of you college classes (especially Freshman classes and University Seminar (biggest waste of time ever, even if I got an awesome prof.)) will STILL do this... especially if it's a small class... However, not taking notes or being prepared to take notes doesn't help get you off to a good start, whether that means the prof. is upset when you're asking for someone to loan you paper (and maybe a pen), or the fact that you just sat there and have no notes to help you (since you likely won't have your textbooks before the first day of class or have read ahead (or knew how far to read ahead).

13. Try not to buy your textbooks or other expensive stuff until after you have your first class. The bookstore's directory of stuff that you need may end up not being what the prof personally suggests (usually, most profs HAVE to have an assigned textbook, but many don't even use them and will tell you that buying them is a waste of time (since they don't get paid anything to convince you to buy them). You can technically (for the most part) return books AFTER you bought them if the prof says you don't need them, but that's tying up money... and there's always the chance that you'll lose a receipt or they'll find something wrong with the book and not give you a refund... so be patient and see what you need first.

14. Tailor your supplies to you needs and be organized. Your prof suggests a binder (that won't be turned in for evaluation and a grade) but you prefer folders? Use folders. You like using one binder with dividers for each class? Do it. You like spiral notebooks for notes instead of loose-leaf paper? go ahead. This may seem like a trivial thing, but pick supplies in your comfort zone. For some reason, college kids get wound up in the idea that "My prof suggests a 2 in" binder, but I already have 4 of those and my backpack is getting full!" Instead of solving the solution in an easier and more managable way. Do things the way you feel would keep you best organized, because above all else, organization is going to keep your stress down around testing time (you do NOT want to dig through a backpack full of loose papers for notes/test review/your sylabus to see what the test is over or to ask your prof a question/etc.)

I may have more as I think about it the next few days... good luck to you guys... And make me proud. tongue.gif

-K-

To all the people who get federal aide, you're pretty darn lucky. I'm in that difficult spot where I'm not poor enough to get any aide and not rich enough enough to actually pay for it. I think I'll be a good 60k in debt or more when I'm all through. I don't really have extra money left over for anything.

Also, wrote my first essay for college today! 8D!

Hmm. I get a tad confused, because 'college' is what we use to refer to high school in Australia... And then there's university o.O';;

To all the people who get federal aide, you're pretty darn lucky. I'm in that difficult spot where I'm not poor enough to get any aide and not rich enough enough to actually pay for it. I think I'll be a good 60k in debt or more when I'm all through. I don't really have extra money left over for anything.

This is me. My parents ended up ~$1,000 over the federal aid cap last year. Although this year he might make even less because he was out of work and sick for nearly 6 weeks this year. Without him having worked overtime we might qualify, but it depends on how much my mom makes too with her job with the school. She's getting more hours. So we all have our fingers crossed that I get a bunch of scholarships, and that my employment at a local store doesn't effect it either.

I'm already in college, I'm going for my second year at Volunteer State Community college in Gallatin, Tennessee.

More advice, if any of you have an email address through the college, check it. Check it every day, as many times as you can. Teachers can be sneaky sending things via email.

I've gotten "surprise test" notices, homework assignments, change of dates, ect.

I found out via email I have a homework assignment due that first week (next week). It gives me the rest of this week to work on it because I checked, where a lot of people won't find out until Monday and only have a few days to work on it.

@DarkEternity, in the states university and college are the same thing. I think the designation status has to do with the amount of accreditation the programs have/the level of degrees they offer.

My college changed to unversity status in 2005 I think. We have big letters on the lawn facing the highway and they had to turn the "C" to make a "U".

You can see the letters from satellite.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

first day of college aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Tip: RECORDING DEVICE. Lifesaver.

Many profs have BIG issues with recording devices, and sometimes people rely on them too much (like setting a recording device out and spends the lecture time fooling around because they can watch/listen to the lecture at any time).

According to most colleges (in their bylaws and fine print), you CANNOT record a professor or their lectures without their knowledge or consent. If a prof finds out you were recording them without their knowledge or consent, the punishments can be anywhere from being kicked out of the class to being expelled from the college. And god help you if you upload those lectures to youtube or share the sound files with other students.

For many professors, their lectures are their intellectual properties, and many won't even release their powerpoints for people for this reason.

So yeah, be sure to make sure your professors are aware that you're recording them. Some may not mind, others may have issue with it, but don't get caught without their permission, you can get in deep censorkip.gif for that.

And fair warning, most people who record the lectures either end up not having time to use them and abandon the idea halfway through the semester, or they do about as well as the average student. It can help, but it doesn't seem to help make your grades higher than not using them and just taking good notes the first time. Plus, you got to hope your recording method isn't crappy and unusable.

-K-

Edited by Kamak

Starting second year in... two weeks, I think? I have to go buy my textbooks tomorrow; goodbye money D: Luckily most of them actually aren't that expensive. Thank goodness for being an arts major.

I start classes tomorrow, but I've been living at the dorm since Friday. Roommate still hasn't shown up, which is perfectly fine with me. :V

I changed around my schedule on Friday in order to be apart of a program at the university. This program gave us free iPad 2s to use in our classes, which I thought was pretty cool. :V Unfortunately my program advisor accidentally completely removed my math class from my schedule, which put my account on hold. We're fixing it today, so YEAH.

One of my classes I think is actually taught by my old high school teacher.. if it is, I'm going to freak out. That would just be so funny to me. x3

Edited by MellaBella

Just had to comment on this:

9. Make buddies with your profs. No, don't be a brown noser (profs REALLY hate that), but asking them questions often, thanking them for their work, and asking them in advance to either meet during their office hours for help/telling them you'll be gone for some reason (going out of town for some reason, going to need to skip class to babysit, etc.) really helps, to the point where some profs will fudge your grades if you had trouble during the semester/were trying really hard (your 89 turns into an A, your 69 into a C). Don't rely on this help, but being a name in the mind of a prof will mean they're more likely to help you than the person that first talks to them at the end of the semester upset because their grade is low.

Srsly, doing this can help save your grade. I decided to speak up in chem last year and answer all the profs questions and such, for a couple of reasons. Speaking up in class helps you learn the material better and the professor will recognize and appreciate you. For reasons that I believe all boil down to racism, nobody liked the chem prof - except me. He was a great prof. Tried to get the class involved (not an easy task for a class of 100), was always willing to answer questions and talk about chem, was very accessible, encouraged people to come to him for homework help, was even around for labs, etc. For whatever reason, I flopped a test and got a 60 on it. For my scholarships, I need to keep my grades up, and considering how hard I had been trying and had studied for the test, it was sooooo disappointed.

Well, I talked to the prof, and thanks to speaking up in class, he allowed me to do corrections to boost my score a bit. (Corrections being "pick a few problems in the book about things that you stumbled over on the test and do them and show me the work".) He actually raised my grade to a 98 after that.

/third year of college this year

While it definitely sucks to be in that position, all of the people I know getting federal aide wouldn't be able to go to school otherwise, are already in debt for other things and going deeper thanks to college expenses not paid by aide, and are having to make some big sacrifices to go to college, even with that federal aide money. And that's all considering that I live in a state that basically pays for our first four years of college if you go to college directly after high school.

Maybe I just know some people that really aren't well off at all, though. o.o

Starting second year in... two weeks, I think? I have to go buy my textbooks tomorrow; goodbye money D: Luckily most of them actually aren't that expensive. Thank goodness for being an arts major.

I always felt that being an art major was one of the most expensive majors you could possibly be in.

Cost of supplies add up so fast. And it doesn't help when professors get all picky about the things you have to buy.

That was another reason I switched majors, didn't have the money to keep up on projects.

I'm not in debt at all, and otherwise probably COULD pay college, if I got several jobs and only studied part-time. Granted, it would go extremely slowly, but I *could* do it.

As it is, I'm going to giving up a lot, but I'm certainly not going to go into debt (which is a huge relief for me).

I always make friends with my teachers in some capacity. I'm the kid who naturally gravitates to the front of the room and asks questions, so I think I'll do fine in that aspect (I hope).

See, I have this enormous fear that I'll do terribly, although I know from experience that I WILL do better than most of the other students. It's... silly of me, but I can't get over it. :\

I like art, and can be quite good at it, but never quite saw the point in being an art major.

Is there some benefit to getting an art degree that I'm not aware of?

I know being a graphic designer can be profitable, but that's all I could conjure up...

Edited by Pink

I learned quite a bit about technique and style and such that I don't think I would have learned on my own.

The teachers push you outside your normal comfort zone to learn.

That includes the graphic arts area.

I'm lucky, in a sense, that with my seizure disorder I absolutely have to introduce myself to professors by the first day of class.

I think, I've made some good bonds with professors this way.

Many profs have BIG issues with recording devices, and sometimes people rely on them too much (like setting a recording device out and spends the lecture time fooling around because they can watch/listen to the lecture at any time).

According to most colleges (in their bylaws and fine print), you CANNOT record a professor or their lectures without their knowledge or consent. If a prof finds out you were recording them without their knowledge or consent, the punishments can be anywhere from being kicked out of the class to being expelled from the college. And god help you if you upload those lectures to youtube or share the sound files with other students.

For many professors, their lectures are their intellectual properties, and many won't even release their powerpoints for people for this reason.

So yeah, be sure to make sure your professors are aware that you're recording them. Some may not mind, others may have issue with it, but don't get caught without their permission, you can get in deep censorkip.gif for that.

And fair warning, most people who record the lectures either end up not having time to use them and abandon the idea halfway through the semester, or they do about as well as the average student. It can help, but it doesn't seem to help make your grades higher than not using them and just taking good notes the first time. Plus, you got to hope your recording method isn't crappy and unusable.

-K-

O_o Thanks for the headsup, then.

I find that I write slower than the profs talk, so I do need it. I still take notes in class, I just want to be doubly sure. Seems like that plan's scratched out now...

You could write down just the key points of what they're saying, if you're confident you can decipher it later.

I always would sit down, write the key things down, and then expound on my quick notes after class and speed no longer was an issue (although I always did that before I forgot what the lecture was about).

Of course, those weren't college classes, but my teachers were still pretty fast talkers.

Edited by Pink

O_o Thanks for the headsup, then.

I find that I write slower than the profs talk, so I do need it. I still take notes in class, I just want to be doubly sure. Seems like that plan's scratched out now...

I know a couple people who record - just be sure to ask the prof first. If you can get names and e-mail them in time, you can ask before you even show up to class. :3

A lot of my professors do lectures on slides and will either e-mail the slides out, or you could ask them if that's a possibility. I also had a prof last year who used moodle and put up all her slides that way. :3

Most of my professors do slides for lower level classes.

The only thing I suggest if you print out slides is to still take notes. I found people who depend on slides often miss out on certain details.

I think it just takes practice to learn what kind of notes will help you the most.

I think it just takes practice to learn what kind of notes will help you the most.

Hopefully, that's something one had been learning in high school. I don't think college is the time to start learning this, though it will likely need perfecting there, and in college there will be more chances to perfect it.

I was fortunate that one of my high school teachers encouraged me in unorthodox note-taking. Mine would be completely useless to anyone else, but they were very useful to me. So...if you're still in high school and plan to go to college, and haven't found a good way to take notes yet, start finding one now.

Edited by Princess Artemis

Hopefully, that's something one had been learning in high school. I don't think college is the time to start learning this, though it will likely need perfecting there, and in college there will be more chances to perfect it.

Very true.

Lecture style can also depend on the professor. (Take more with one teacher than another, for example.)

I know I had trouble in high school because my teachers gave fast lectures with lots of information. Lots of times they'd put up projector slides, say half of it, and move on. I've had a much easier time keeping up with the lectures in college, as profs tend to put up a slide and linger over it for half the class while they lecture and do examples for it.

/kind of related to the post I quoted

I don't think high school prepared me at all for the kind of note-taking that would occur in college classes.

Or any college related for that matter...

Maybe it was just the school I went to?

I don't think high school prepared me at all for the kind of note-taking that would occur in college classes.

Or any college related for that matter...

Maybe it was just the school I went to?

I learned to do my notes in anger. Thankfully I have quick (if messy) handwriting and I quickly invented a system of short-hand for common words/phrases in Maths. Most students do for their subjects, especially the lecture-heavy sciences.

Laptops are lifesavers in university classes, especially for people who type really fast like I do. I can actually keep up with my professors if I type out all of my notes in class tongue.gif

I'm thinking of that too.

Of using my laptop because I'm a fast typer, and then copying it onto regular notes after classes.

I guess I'll have to try both, see which works better.