Lila

School/University/College

Next semester? This is the first semester of the year and the 2nd week of school

Most colleges haven't started yet, ergo, "next semester" hasn't begun.

Next semester? This is the first semester of the year and the 2nd week of school

You've already started school? I around the middle of summer vacation. tongue.gif

Yeah but I got out the 20th of May. I wish I had a few more days at least because then I could get rid of this cold.

School? Sucks. University? Sucks. College? Sucks.

Secondary just happens to suck less than primary.

Starting my second year as a Animal Husbandry student. Actually kinda looking forward to going; everything is very different from high school and I like it.

Well that's a rather depressing attitude towards education.

Well I really like school because I find everything relatively easy but I don't like learning about History. All the people are dead anyway so why'd we have to learn about them? And even worse than History is algebra. I seriously don't get WHY wee need to learn about that. Why do we need to substitute numbers for letters? The whole concept is just really stupid if you ask me.

But other than that everything else is ok.

Well I really like school because I find everything relatively easy but I don't like learning about History. All the people are dead anyway so why'd we have to learn about them? And even worse than History is algebra. I seriously don't get WHY wee need to learn about that. Why do we need to substitute numbers for letters? The whole concept is just really stupid if you ask me.

Because historic situations led to what we're dealing with today. And algebra is a lot more than that, and a lot more than just substituting numbers for letters.

History can definitely be boring to study, but we would continue to make the same mistakes if we didn't have our history to teach us what's the right way and the wrong way! Like starting a war probably isn't the best idea >.>

And algebra is awesome! Okay, I'm a total nerd, but still, really, algebra is great. It really helps the way you think and learn, in my opinion. Plus it's always handy to know what 2+2 is. biggrin.gif

I still don't like them even if they do help us dry.gif

It's one thing to not like a subject and another to whine about why it should be studied or not. One is preference, the other is ignorance. I don't really like math but obviously it should be studied, for a great many reasons.

For one, it's a great blessing to be able to learn about history with the freedom we're afforded in the modern era. We lowly everyday non-historians have access to source documents and original records like never before thanks to the internet. Academic history is like a big detective novel. Historians are taking the best extant evidence, personal accounts, secondhand accounts, art, tombs, literature, and they're piecing together what happened before our time. If that's not cool, I don't know what is.

Besides the fact that historical discovery is exciting and rewarding, the culture you live in doesn't exist in a vacuum. If you live in a western nation, your culture is probably strongly influenced by the philosophy of the Enlightenment, so it's pretty handy to learn about the Enlightenment and what the philosophes thought and taught so that you can better understand your own culture. That's just a tiny, broad example really, because there's a million things other than the Enlightenment that play into why your culture is the way it is. Have you never looked around at what people in your community are doing and wondered "why do we do X," or "why is X the way it is?" On a small scale, it can be as simple as wondering why your city was located where it currently sits, or as big as why the USA South as a whole is economically deficient when compared to the North. I suppose I can understand that some people just aren't all that interested in history, but it certainly seems like you should understand why there's value in teaching it and learning it.

Well I really like school because I find everything relatively easy but I don't like learning about History. All the people are dead anyway so why'd we have to learn about them?

History is constantly repeating itself. If you don't learn about the mistakes of the past, how would you know how to avoid them in the future?

And even worse than History is algebra. I seriously don't get WHY we need to learn about that. Why do we need to substitute numbers for letters? The whole concept is just really stupid if you ask me.

Oh ho ho. The simple answer is that it is impossible or very difficult to describe many mathematical concepts using numbers or words alone, so we use algebra express them.

A simple example: Say you have a repeating pattern of numbers.

Numbers in pattern 'a': 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...

Numbers in pattern 'b': 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12...

How would you describe the relationship between the two patterns? Well, you could write a sentence, saying that "each number in pattern b is just double the number from pattern a".

Or, you could express it with an equation that describes the relationship:

b = 2a

...Which is shorter and much clearer than the written explanation. And that is the simplest equation I could come up with, so you can imagine that it's essential for anything more complex.

----

And the wordy answer is that you learn algebra because it's essential to mathematics, which is in turn essential to science, engineering, economics and a whole load of other things. If people had never come up with algebra, the internet would not exist, computers would not exist, vast swathes of technology would not exist in the way they do today. Even simple stuff, like basic utilities - water networks, power networks, food distribution - or even things like how we produce fertiliser (which relies on an understanding of Chemistry, where equations are described with algebra!) could not have happened.

Edited by Zaxian

I enjoyed high school. I am glad to say that I can look back and say that I had a great four years, especially senior year :3

I'm commuting and it kind of (okay it REALLY) sucks seeing everyone going away to all parts of the country while I'm stuck in my hometown with not much to do. I'm actually excited for classes to start which probably seems bizarre. But I am looking forward to have something to do other then work and stay at home.

earlier toda y when i gto home from school I was wokring on a powerpoint thing for science and then I got all the wya done with it and realized taht it was due next Wednesday

This comment makes it appear that uni is different from college. So how are they different. I'm thinking uni is a school with elementary, high school and college. So it's a group of schools in essence.

This is my last year at elementary school. My sister went to elementary school through 6th grade but that wasin a different state.

This comment makes it appear that uni is different from college. So how are they different. I'm thinking uni is a school with elementary, high school and college. So it's a group of schools in essence.

Different countries use different terms. In America, University and College are the same type of thing.

Here in Belgium, university and college are different. Well, they both give studies, both for people that graduated from high school, but they're on different levels. College gives three year studies, which gives a bachelor degree, while university is generally five years, and you end up with a bachelor and master degree. I think generally speaking university is somewhat more theoretical than college as well.

The American school system really confuses me whenever I hear it. xd.png

^ smile.gif Ah, I see. Thank you 7Deadly$ins and Sany.

Apparently, there is also differences with terms in different culture. I know that there is confusion about public and private school

tongue.gif For US, private school. For UK, public school.

For US, public school. For UK, state school.

We follow the US here in the Phil.

Edited by georgexu94

I just got a 13/20 on my older sisters high school computer systems pretest and Im not even in high school. I mean 13/20 isnt all that good but that test was way above my level

School can force you to see what talents you have. It's nice albeit being annoying.

Started classes again last week. This Spanish class is going to kill me.

It's been over a year since my last Spanish class, so I've forgotten quite a bit. What's worse is it's one of those classes where the teacher only speaks Spanish, and students are only supposed to speak Spanish.

I've never been good at learning other languages. That + my inability to speak English well to other people + 3 oral presentation things = misery. T-T

Just FYI, more information about the UK school terminology than you probably want to know:

For the main school years (age 4-16) you have generally follow one of two systems (depending on where you live):

• Three tier - Lower (~ages 4-10), Middle (~ages 10-12) and Upper (~ages 12-16) schools.
  • Two tier - Primary (ages 4-11), and Secondary (ages 11-16) schools. This is more common.
After 16 you can leave compulsory education, but you may continue into sixth form (ages 16-18) either as part of a Secondary or Upper school, or as part of a Sixth Form College. Some Colleges also provide vocational courses.

And then after that, you might go a University (often shortened to 'uni'). And just to add to the confusion, certain UK universities, like Oxford, Cambridge and Durham, are composed of 'colleges' which manage their own admissions or student's accommodation.

Schools in the US separate into different colleges like that, too. At my university, we have eight different colleges that handle different things.