Lila

School/University/College

I went to a private Catholic school for twelve years, had to switch highschools half way through since my original one closed sleep.gif I hated gradeschool and high school mostly because of people.

Now I am a geoscience major in a big state college and its darn nice, even with the obnoxious gen-eds.

We also have a quidditch team so its makes everything better.

I often feel like I'm one of the few people who love school; I feel kind of at home there. And education is so, so important. It makes the world a better place. One of my mentors actually said I have a passion for education; it was a nice way to describe what I felt for education. laugh.gif And I cannot wait until college. I have two more years. I'll probably apply to Stanford and various other colleges in my state. c:

Yay, a place to vent about school!

So I seriously hate film class. It has nothing to do with my degree, it's stupid, and it's a huge waste of an hour! What does a criminal justice major need in a freaking FILM class?!?!? It's the only class I'm failing in and it's not the main reason I'm gonna lose my scholarship but it's not helping! God it's so stupid!!!!

I often feel like I'm one of the few people who love school; I feel kind of at home there. And education is so, so important. It makes the world a better place. One of my mentors actually said I have a passion for education; it was a nice way to describe what I felt for education. laugh.gif And I cannot wait until college. I have two more years. I'll probably apply to Stanford and various other colleges in my state. c:

Well, education is indeed important, but some have trouble loving school, let's not forget the bullies, teachers and etc. There's ups and downs which make people sometimes even hate about school. For example: I, myself think education is important and everyday I'd love to learn more and more (I do really.), but the way they teach at my school is not my style and thus makes me stressed and then comes classmates/bullies and well worsen the situation.

You know those are the kind of stuff which makes people not like school at all, but hey, I'm glad you actually enjoy and appreciate school/education. There's just some other people that don't because of issues or problems they are having with the people in it and many other reasons too.

I also can't wait to college, problem is the stuff I want to study isn't where I live. xd.png

Ever since I've started college, I've been kind of a nomad. I was in a private art school my first year, moved to a public university for this year, and will be moving to a smaller public university next year.

Needless to say, I haven't found a college that feels like home yet. I'm hoping third time's the charm...I'm pleased with my choice of major though, I'm enjoying zoology.

Not pleased with the ridiculous costs of college though. I fear for the future and how much debt I'll be in.

Well, education is indeed important, but some have trouble loving school, let's not forget the bullies, teachers and etc. There's ups and downs which make people sometimes even hate about school. For example: I, myself think education is important and everyday I'd love to learn more and more (I do really.), but the way they teach at my school is not my style and thus makes me stressed and then comes classmates/bullies and well worsen the situation.

You know those are the kind of stuff which makes people not like school at all, but hey, I'm glad you actually enjoy and appreciate school/education. There's just some other people that don't because of issues or problems they are having with the people in it and many other reasons too.

Oh, yes. I totally get that. I can play the game of school fairly well, to quote my history teacher, but others can't cope with this style of learning. It's also very true that social aspects of school and its environment can be difficult to deal with, and I've thought about this before too. I do ponder it a lot, but I can't really find an ideal solution for this. Oh well, maybe one day the education system will evolve and everyone can get their education and knowledge without being tormented by bullies and stress. One can only hope.

Oh, yes. I totally get that. I can play the game of school fairly well, to quote my history teacher, but others can't cope with this style of learning. It's also very true that social aspects of school and its environment can be difficult to deal with, and I've thought about this before too. I do ponder it a lot, but I can't really find an ideal solution for this. Oh well, maybe one day the education system will evolve and everyone can get their education and knowledge without being tormented by bullies and stress. One can only hope.

Same here, but as always society will still have issues even if we try making it better. Since well, things don't get better they get worse. But I do hope they do something about it, yeah know, it could maybe enlighten people to study and etc. But well one can only dream.

School is the biggest headache for me. No really, it actually gives me headaches. Ever since I transfered to my new school (where everything is super competitive) I've gotten so stressed out that I get ill every other week. And it doesn't help that my mother is constantly hanging over my head and increasing the levels of stress I have by trying to make me do other things. Even during spring break I can't get a break!

That being said, I love learning. I just can't deal with all this stress that is put on me from it.

^You know there's been an interesting research lately. Can't find it right now, but here's what I remember.

For the last couple of years, Danish tested right at the top along with countries like China, Korea etc. when it comes to school knowledge. The thing is, Danish aren't competitive at all. They school system is basically "learn for the knowledge". Not grades or some prestigious college. As a result, kids test right at the top while having much more time for themselves then other overachievers.

I'm trying to go to Scandinavia for my senior year. I just wish America wasn't so flawed with its schooling. I mean, why does it matter if I horseback ride when I want to be a doctor? We don't need dancing doctors, we need doctors who are good at their jobs! Its so stupid that you have to do all this extra stuff to impress colleges when all you want to do is go into medicine!

Its so stupid that you have to do all this extra stuff to impress colleges when all you want to do is go into medicine!

But with top colleges - or any colleges, for that matter - everyone's going to have good grades and good knowledge, etc. They want to see what you do outside of school and how you get involved with other things. It's being open-minded, active and showing that you're not just biased towards working with a single thing.

(By "extra stuff", I'm assuming you meant extra-curricular clubs/volunteering/the like).

I hate spring break. I hate it more than finals week. You get to sit there as your grades roll in cringing at each ones. I swear, I do worse in the classes I expect to do good in than the classes I expected to do not so good in. Grr. I hate grades.

At least I only have a couple more years before I go to grad school. :-/

Other than that, college is awesome. My university is located in a fantastic place and the physics classes are really good. The math classes are a joke though.

@Question: Have you tried doing stuff that is relevant to medicine? If you're wanting to go into medicine then I would suggest getting your EMT. If you know how to ski, join the ski patrol and learn about emergency medical skills. Otherwise perhaps volunteer with a search and rescue team? Or as a lifeguard? Things that will teach you useful skills and will impress a medical school. You don't need to horseback ride, but you do need to have something to impress them. Perhaps an internship at a hospital? I don't even know if that is possible.

I'm trying to go to Scandinavia for my senior year. I just wish America wasn't so flawed with its schooling. I mean, why does it matter if I horseback ride when I want to be a doctor? We don't need dancing doctors, we need doctors who are good at their jobs! Its so stupid that you have to do all this extra stuff to impress colleges when all you want to do is go into medicine!

Well, the thing is, you don't have to go horseback riding if you want to be a doctor. If you want to learn about medicine apply to programs that have to do with medicine and health sciences, or volunteer at a hospital. You can delve deeper into your interests, gain more experience in the outside world and in the field you want to work in, while still proving that you do things outside of school. Win/win?

Edit: I wrote this before looking at kiffren's post. But yeah, we have the same idea. smile.gif

Edited by Dauntingale

cocurris are pretty irritating because a lot of very competent people have narrow interests. they are just a filter to cut down admissions with.

This is an interesting thread.

I am also one of the few who love to learn... although school isn't my favorite place to be. Having no friends is a lonely existence, but I feel it's actually for the best. I focus much more on my school work because I've got my future in mind rather than friends. Teachers love me because I'm quiet and attentive in class, which is lovely because they soften whenever I need to ask for something. xd.png

I've decided to pursue a history major, so the next few summers I am planning to do some traveling to different historical sites, battlefields, monuments, etc. Does anyone have any ideas as to other extra curricular activities involving history? I've been trying to think of some but my school just doesn't seem to have any.

Edited by HollyTheColliegirl

Ever since I've started college, I've been kind of a nomad. I was in a private art school my first year, moved to a public university for this year, and will be moving to a smaller public university next year.

Needless to say, I haven't found a college that feels like home yet. I'm hoping third time's the charm...I'm pleased with my choice of major though, I'm enjoying zoology.

Not pleased with the ridiculous costs of college though. I fear for the future and how much debt I'll be in.

I know how you feel being like a nomad. I was one of those shy people who stay in their classrooms. Now that I'm in my First Year college, I feel like a nomad too when going to different rooms for classes. Anyhow, may I ask how or where you spend your breaks? I spend a lot in our organisation room. My sister kept on telling me that I'm not outgoing and kept on staying there. sad.gif

I despise school. You get racists to and fro, a math teacher who simply cannot teach, and so on....

Same here @.@ My math teacher is...just ugh –.–

Math classes are a complete joke ._. Sometimes, but not all the time, I kind of wish that our school was kind of like the ones in China or Korea >.<"

Edited by XiaoChibi

so like, impoverished, 1 teacher per village, no hope of university etc?

Hmm I pretty much like my school so far, but I am starting to dislike the teachers .-.

I mostly work with my laptop so that's a good thing.

But recently teachers only gave me 'bad criticism' which I can't use.

Or get angry at me for no reason at all.. just suddenly last month.

I go to an art college down in Illinois. Love the school, but some of the teachers suck there. xP Had one a few weeks back that just completely gave up in helping me with homework on the finals week. Talk about uncaring. >P

Currently I'm still barely on summer vacation but I go back to school on Wednesdayof this week for 2 hours and then I don't go at all on Thursday and then on Friday I go for the first full day.

Edited by Spottedleaf

HollyTheColliegirl

I've decided to pursue a history major, so the next few summers I am planning to do some traveling to different historical sites, battlefields, monuments, etc. Does anyone have any ideas as to other extra curricular activities involving history? I've been trying to think of some but my school just doesn't seem to have any.

Have you considered trying to get a volunteer job at an historical park site? Take the class and learn to be a guide at a Historical home. Charleston, SC has tons of this type of site and the Various parks also hire volunteers throughout the year to work at the site in various capacities. Just a thought.

Niagara Colleget (Niagara-on-the-lake) campus. Canadian Food and Wine Institute (CFWI)

I just finished college last april. I took Culinary Management - I theoretically understand the operation of a restaurant.

Math course we had first term, was okay but the professor really could not teach it in a manner I could understand. I took a peer tutor for it. That worked a charm

Event Management I could have lived with out. I have a number of unkind words that cannot be repeated in here to describe what I think of the professor who taught that one other than. Highly unprofessional, unethical and Deceiver. I could not drink his Kool-aid.

Other than those two courses that were Meh, the rest were fantastic. The Chef/professors I had were amazing.

My favourites were Chefs Demers and Blakeman. Chef Blakeman taught food and wine dynamics, and a couple of the hands on cooking courses.

Chef Demers used to teach cooking until he broke his back several years ago, now he teaches food theory. Fun thing about these two adorable chefs are that Chef Blakeman is easily described as the Mad Food Scientist. He made things like Halal bacon (out of beef or lamb) Cheeses and he has prosciutto in a temperature controlled "fridge" to cure for nearly two years. Phenomenal Man. Chef Demers is the Absent minded Professor. Absolutely brilliant and very knowledgeable about food, ingredients, history. I consider these two my inspiration.

I think all the chefs were a bit strange in their ways. Chef McClean made me laugh far too often. Chef Storm Swore like a sailor and would be riding my aft about calling him Chef. Chef Olson was fun loving adorable and his wife is Anna Olson (canadian celebrity chef) Chef Marr was one of the few Female Chefs. Short and insanely Powerful personality. Chef Corbiere - French Pastry chef, who was sort of scary but impish at times. Chef Picone - again Impish and he had the tendency to scare me to the pit. Chefs Sam, Dan and Kyle often worked in the production kitchen. They are genuinely wonderful people. Chef Gibson - sweet man who owns several birds of prey: bald eagle, hawks, and owls. He often gave me interesting things to try cooking at home, like Canada Goose meat or venison.

The wonderful thing about these guys at this college, was that they were there for me when my Stepfather died at the end of term. (the event management professor was colder than a iced salmon in regards to this). There were a number of wonderful people who also taught various subjects and were more than helpful.

We had fun with most of our classes, wine class had hilarity hit on more than one occasion. I never expected a cooking school to be such total fun :3

Edited by Starscream