Lila

School/University/College

I'm a freshman, so I'm definitely expecting things to pick up in at least my junior year, but I've just been going "lolwut" this semester because every at every single orientation meeting I went to before coming they went on and on about how much harder it would be, and how your freshman year was the hardest one, etc etc.

Edited by JOTB

Hahaha yes. In my junior and senior years of high school I was constantly stressed and sleep deprived, studied for hours when I had a test, and had so much homework. And here. . .I hardly have any work and tests are so freaking easy.

For example in my AP bio class, we had to learn photosynthesis and cellular respiration - every stage, reaction, intermediate, and final products. In my bio class here (for science majors) we have maybe four bullets from each part to learn, and only the overall reactions plus one more from photosynthesis. Plus my high school bio tests were primarily essay based and my bio tests here are multiple choice.

And this is supposed to be a pretty good college. :/

Feelin' you. We're going over Mendel. MENDEL. With the peas.

I mean... seriously?

Feelin' you. We're going over Mendel. MENDEL. With the peas.

I mean... seriously?

Because Mendel is the forefather of genetics.

It may be easy, laughable work now but the truth is he was super important and at the time it was ground-breaking never before seen work.

So you have to learn (or re-learn, or just remember) it, seriously.

You have to have a good concept of core ideas otherwise higher level classes are a nightmare.

It's just that I've gone over it so many times in the past that the class has become painfully slow. I wanna cover new stuff @_@

Just think of it as easy points for now.

I don't know that basic biology classes cover more than simple dominance/recessive traits though. You'd have to take a genetics class to get into more genetics things.

I apparently cannot read and I keep getting cos and csc mixed up. When I go to do my derivatives I get those ones wrong because I misread them.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

I sat with my hand in the air for an HOUR today (3:30 to about 4:30) waiting for my teacher to come and take 30 seconds for me to demo my project for him so I could go. But he decided to answer the questions/help people nearest to him who were raising their hands. So instead of being able to do something useful for an hour, I had to sit in the computer lab playing Highborn on my ipod while waiting for him to work his way to the front of the room. >_< Raising your hand gets old after ten minutes. Ridiculous at 30 minutes. An hour... I was pretty ticked off. I had gone to ask him at one point if he could come, but he just said "wait, I'm helping this person."

Edited by Dawnwing

I love having to prep for an in-class handwritten essay that I have no idea where to start with or how to write. >__>

Latin test tomorrow too, eep. I feel a sense of impending doom about both of these things.

I always get real impatient or forget to raise my hand and end up blurting out a question.

Or in the case of a lab or something I just stand next to the teacher and stare at them until they answer me.

Apparently being stared at is unsettling so I get answers pretty quickly through that method.

This is the first time I'm going to go argue with a teacher (of all time) about a grade. He said I didn't cover something in my answer but I definitely did.

I'm going to highlight up my answer and everything.

It's a matter of 4 points, but those are very important 4 points.

Aaaand I think I just bombed my first chem exam. Dammit.

You wouldn't be the first. sad.gif Chemistry is hard!

(I'm still kind of happy dancing because I got my organic test back about a week ago and I did very well - aced it biggrin.gif. Heck, I'm just happy that I'm still passing the course.)

Oh, and in regards to the Mendel stuff: Mendel rocks my socks, man (you'd be surprised how many people answer "Mendelian" when asked who the father of genetics is tongue.gif). Sure, it might seem easy, but when you think about it, a lot of the people in your class probably don't have the same background as you, they might not have gone to a high school that even touched on that kind of thing (some high schools are really not very good these days; it's sad because more and more unprepared people are going to college, too).

Managed to scratch by with a B+. Sigh.

True, odddude; doesn't make it any less frustrating. I'll just take the easy A, I guess.

On another note, I'm wondering whether I've done this lab report wrong because, well... it took me only an hour or two to finish. I mean, wat.

I'm in my first year of university. You know, nothing is giving me probems about the classes...

It's the people.

I despise crowds. I despise humans. I despise noise.

My school has over 35,000 kids.

Some days I swear I want to put a kitchen knife to my brain and stab and stab.

Managed to scratch by with a B+. Sigh.

True, odddude; doesn't make it any less frustrating. I'll just take the easy A, I guess.

On another note, I'm wondering whether I've done this lab report wrong because, well... it took me only an hour or two to finish. I mean, wat.

That is an awesome grade for chemistry. A lot of people would kill for that grade on their first exam. tongue.gif

I dunno, chemistry is hard for me because I'm not really interested in it, and I can't see it. I think it's the molecules and bonds and stuff that really throw me off. Eh. I pretty much spent all of today working on homework for reaction mechanisms for alkanes, and I feel as though I'm doing it right, but it's hard to know for sure. Sometimes, I'll be working on something and it'll seem right, but then my professor will point out something else sneaky and I'll be like, oh, man, did I just do all of this wrong? It's very stressful, I think.

What kind of labs are you working on right now? Some of my lab reports didn't take too long in the first series for chemistry. Now, they all take forever though, because my organic lab professor is notorious for assigning lengthy lab reports. *sigh*

soulless - I've heard that higher-level/honors classes have less people, so maybe see if you can get yourself into some of those?

Eh, I wish I could've done better... plus, mother is disappoint, and I don't want her to kick me out.

It can be hard to see how things connect. One interesting thing I've tried is making maps - basically, getting a large surface (paper, posterboard, whatnot) and writing down main points, then other points, drawing arrows and notes as to how they connect, etc.

It was just a qualitative analysis for metal cations. Not looking forward to this upcoming "ferrion" lab since I have no idea as to what that is @_@

soulless - I've heard that higher-level/honors classes have less people, so maybe see if you can get yourself into some of those?

Unfortunately, I am used to impossibly small classes of maybe 7 or 8 kids maximum. Even if it is a 'small' class, it will always be too large for my tastes.

Hmm...should I really keep helping my rival with his college application? :~P

I have a friend trying to get back into the same university as me, originally on the same course too (although I'm now heavily considering Nursing while he's continuing to apply for Paramedic). Been helping him with his job application (to the same job as me no less; we both got a job and he says it's my fault he got throught his time) so I'm hoping my advice will help him this time too.

It was just a qualitative analysis for metal cations. Not looking forward to this upcoming "ferrion" lab since I have no idea as to what that is @_@

Sounds like iron. You know, ferric = iron.

I was all dying and intimidated over having to write an entire lab procedure making up my own steps and quantities of liquids and all that.

Then I just read the lab and it turned out to not be very hard at all. I made an awesome little flow sheet of when to separate things and what chemicals to use and what it makes.

I feel pretty professional now.

We have a lab exam this week though, and that is a terrifying idea.

Yeah, I know about ferric/ferrous, but I've never heard of ferroin. Plus, the paper he linked to doesn't work unless we have a paid subscription to the site >_> wat.

Lab exam?

Wikipedia it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferroin

I answer the majority of my lab questions via wikipedia. Science wiki stuff is pretty accurate, especially since they have to cite sources.

Yah, lab exam. It's an exam, in lab. It'll be like the end of lab questions we get. The use of the information we learn.

Lab practicals are worse though, generally it'll be like "do a titration. Figure it out on your own. You only get this amount of chemical to work with, no more"

I've got a lab exam this week, too, along with a full lab report that I'm working on about column chromatography/TLC with spinach pigments.

I hate having to spend hours on lab reports with the lab is only worth one credit hour. I mean, it weighs the same amount towards my GPA as my safety/first aid course and that was a joke.

Yeah, I managed to access the article they wanted is to read on ferroin. It's just... it rhymes with heroin xd.png

/needs more sleep

Lab practical D: That sounds nervewracking.

Definitely drove up to the university today and parked illegally just so I could retrieve my books I forgot to bring home so I could read them for Tuesday. (It's the Thanksgiving long weekend, so it'll be closed tomorrow.)

Holy man, lab practicals do sound nerve-wracking. I was klutzy enough in the lab before, I can't imagine having to do one of those >.<

I hate lab practicals. I don't have any this semester (sigh of relief) but I've had them in the past and they're incredibly stressful. The ones that I've had historically have basically been set up where you have to rotate stations, and you only get 5 minutes or so at each station set up. You might have two questions or so to answer at each station, and they can be really specific questions, not just general questions. That's what we had for my comparative vertebrate anatomy lab, and wow, it was quite nerve-wracking when you had to identify a random muscle in a dissected cat or a random skull bone (and for those of you who've had anatomy, you know that there is a TON of skull bones).