Lila

School/University/College

I'm starting my sophomore at Michigan State, and people say it's a fairly big party school. Most of the people I've seen/met, though, seem to be pretty heavy about studying and focusing on academics.

They did point out that people have tried to buy alcohol with their meal plan money. Including students that are not old enough to drink, and their information shows on the screen when they swipe their meal plan card. How stupid people can be.

That's another thing as well - remember in the UK the legal drinking age is 18yrs, so that means the entirety of the university population are legally allowed to go out for a drink - and many exercise that right.

I would love to skip a year before I go to college, but I can't do that, sadly. I have to go right to the community college, otherwise it won't be free. I guess the benefit though would be getting it out of the way.

Add in another that doesn't see the point in drinking away your college life. And I'm sorry, could someone explain to me why wild parties in small apartments are apparently a fun thing? I really don't get it.

I'm the sort of person who focuses only on the task at hand. If I'm at school or near school (or HAVE to be at school because free wifi), I'm probably going to be only working on schoolwork. If I'm at work, my school issues don't even cross my mind because I'm trying to make money. But I guess not everyone can be that way.

-Studying/working

-Partying

^^They're not an "either-or" situation. There's room for both in college and life in general. Just use your time wisely. <--This will come with maturity and (bad) experience. laugh.gif

SOURCE: Years of first-hand experience back when I was working on my bachelors, then masters, and then doctorate degree.

Furthermore, alcohol =/= party and party =/= alcohol. I had some amazing nights out in the pub without ever once having more than Coke.

That's another thing as well - remember in the UK the legal drinking age is 18yrs, so that means the entirety of the university population are legally allowed to go out for a drink - and many exercise that right.

Yes yes, I know. owo

But I just find it silly how these underage kids are trying to buy alcohol with their cards. They try and do this at bars, where they don't even TAKE the cards.. they try and do this at restaurants, after they've already shown their fake IDs. I mean.. dang. Come on.

Yes I plan on going to college as soon as I can get financial help. Right now I have a few other things I need to deal with first.

I never really understood how people did have the time to go drinking while in school.

Never had the time myself. Then again, when I turned 21 I had a major lab exam/final, so it wasn't like "yay party", it was "why isn't my microscope working D:"

Dragon Tamer Akira (and any one else going into school and don't have the money)

Make sure you fill out your FAFSA (US students) http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Apply for any scholarship and aid that you need. The worst that can happen is you don't get the money.

And apply every year, scholarships aren't just for high school students.

I have plenty of time before I reach college (eighth grader here!) but I have put some consideration into where I want to go. I took the high school SATs last year (for some Duke University program) and while I didn't do stupendous, I didn't do terrible. i got 1500 something, being a 7th grader then. I was going to go to some really prestigious summer camp (Duke TIP) but we were in a tough financial spot then (my dad had just lost his job, due to a jealous boss...) and couldn't afford the trip :/

Make sure you fill out your FAFSA (US students) http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/

Apply for any scholarship and aid that you need. The worst that can happen is you don't get the money.

And apply every year, scholarships aren't just for high school students.

You can get transfer scholarships for doing well at community colleges, so going to a local college for a year or two helps.

You can get transfer scholarships for doing well at community colleges, so going to a local college for a year or two helps.

Ooh, really?

Do tell more.

Ooh, really?

Do tell more.

Mmm, well my sister is going to community college because she isn't quite ready to leave yet (grrrr). She gets a year free because our school district actually pays for a year at community college, but since community colleges tend to be smaller, they're also a lot cheaper. They give you an idea of what college is like, and you can take classes which you would have had to take for your major at a university there (me thinks. My sister said something like this). Going there for two years & getting excellent grades is especially good if you don't know what to major in, and once you get accepted into a university/private college, you can get transfer scholarships for doing well :3

I may be off a bit, but if you go to your preferred university's website you can check to see if they have transfer scholarships. Just check out your local colleges and stuff, really looking around helps a lot.

Yes yes, I know. owo

But I just find it silly how these underage kids are trying to buy alcohol with their cards. They try and do this at bars, where they don't even TAKE the cards.. they try and do this at restaurants, after they've already shown their fake IDs. I mean.. dang. Come on.

Sorry, what I mean is there's a higher prevalence of drinking in UK culture because of the lower age. Not inferring you didn't know that ;~)

Hoo more college stuff today. And more tomorrow. And Sunday. But it's fun so it's okay. Get to meet people. Draw on them.

Speaking of college I just got the Pell Grant.

Hell yes 5500 bucks, this pays my entire goddamn year.

I am freaking elated, i get all that money I paid back.

Congrats!

That's fantastic - congrats!

I'm in elelmentry school, so I didn't think about college yet!

Oh.. I'm aplanning to go college... exually my mother went me to go college.. dry.gif

I don't went to study.. sad.gif

I got that too.

wink.gif

It's nice, isn't it?

I didn't pay anything as of yet though, so it means I don't have to use all the money I saved up for college, and I can use it for a car instead.

*flails*

The nice thing is you get the extra money that you didn't spend on courses/books back, and you can use it on school supplies (like a computer. ohmy.gif) and day-to-day school expenses (like food).

I'm in elelmentry school, so I didn't think about college yet!

Oh.. I'm aplanning to go college... exually my mother went me to go college.. dry.gif

I don't went to study.. sad.gif

You don't now.

6-7 years from now, you may have something planned that you want to do and then find you can't do it without at least some college.

So... at my college, teachers union is striking. Tomorrow's supposed to be the first day of class. So we all get to go to our classes and wait and see if our profs show up at all.

This is gonna be a fun week.