Fortune86

CLOSED

Despite their intitial shock over Maria's and Andromeda's assault the soldiers recovered quickly. They were trained professionals after all. Those that had fallen to the attack were ignored and their comrades continued to fire.

Eli had had little option but to duck back into the cell for cover. The bullets were tearing up the corridor and it was a sheer miracle no one had actually been shot yet. Eli hoped the girls would be able to defeat the soldiers quickly, before much stronger reinforcements arrived.

Kanya was still standing in the cell as the two other girls took the lead on attacking the soldiers. She felt slightly useless at that point but as she peered out she saw some of the men regaining structure. Their weapons took aim once again and bullets were flying towards them.

Instantly Kanya stepped out summoning her barrier between them and the soldiers. The bullets that were still heading towards them and ricoshade of the barrier back to some of the men. Some were wounded and some missed it. It was then that they ceased fire and started pushing against the barrier, hammering with the back of their rifles. Kanya’s barrier was just to strong for them and as the girl stepped closer her barrier started to push them back into the common room.

“I can keep them there until you guys have a plan to get us out. Don't try to attack while the barrier is up. It will just hit you back.” she shouted over her shoulder.

Eli wondered why the soliders were even bothering to hammer at Kanya's barrier. They knew enough to not try and fire through it, but why try this? It made no sense. Unless they were just keeping up the assault to buy time...

Eli wracked his brains for an idea. They couldn't stay here. The corridor was too narrow to fight properly and they were trapped like rats in a barrel. Given Andromeda's track record of killing by mistake it probably wasn't a good idea to keep her penned up with them anyway.

What about the arena? There wasn't a sheduled fight so the barrier would be down. It cost the Sorceress a lot of energy to maintain it so she always dropped it between fights. If they could force their way through the doors, they could get into the arena and make a clean get away.

"Guys" he said peeking round the door at the three of them. "The barrier in the arena is down. If you can get out there you can fly or whatever right over the walls and escape."

((You all have two choices. Either follow Eli's suggestion and escape, or insist on going after Zygard.))

Maria looked toward Eli as he suggested this. They could escape. They could make it.

She ran to him, and gave him a one-armed, gruff hug. "Thank you," she murmured. Then, she let go and turned tail. A strong gust of water forced down the doors outside, and then she sprinted. Legs coming fast after one another, she let out a wild laugh of delight as her water followed her. It was a large amount already, but it grew and grew in size.

When she reached the edge, it came up from underneath her and lifted the girl high into the sky. The element roiled around her as it carried her over, out of the arena, and into freedom beyond...

Andromeda blinked. Freedom? After so long? Maria immediately took the option, fleeing into the sky, never to be seen again. It was oh so tempting to follow.

She turned back to Eli. She had no reason to trust him. Nor Kanya for that matter. But they wouldn't stand a chance on their own.

She faced Eli and bowed her head, putting her fist to her chest in a sign of respect. "I will follow under your direction. Zygard must be stopped."

Kanya heard Eli’s options but she was too busy holding up her barrier. Thou the thought have come across on whether she should just run and leave this place or continue to fight and hope to stop this evil monster that caught them. The only thing was she wasn’t sure if she on which to choose now that the moment is laid before her. Grinding her teeth she gave another step and pushed the guards even more backwards. Some fell over one another from the push other continued to bang against the barrier.

“I’m not going anywhere until we finish this.” She called back at the pair standing in the hall.

Eli smiled a little when Maria took the opportunity to flee. He watched as she raced out into the arena and used her water manipulation to lift her over the far wall. He just hoped she would be alright.

He turned to look at Andromeda and Kanya, expecting them to follow suit, but neither of them had moved. When Andromeda said she wanted to stop his father Eli felt panickedm but before he could say anything, Kanya voiced the same thing.

"What? No!" he exclaimed looking stricken. "He's far too powerful! He'll kill you both in a heartbeat!"

As he spoke he became aware that the soldiers had stopped firing at Kanya's barrier and were starting to move away. Back up had arrived.

Eli looked down the corridor towards the arena doors, wondering if he could just grab both girls and drag them out, but suddenly the way was blocked by a dark shadow. It was Giva, one of his father's generals, and one of the most powerful metahumans in his employ.

"Run!" said Eli quickly. "You'll have to force your way through the castle. There is no way you can beat this guy. I'll hold him off. Run!"

((Since Kanya and Andromeda have elected to go after Zygard, they will have to enter the main part of the castle. Don't try to fight Giva, since he is just a way to block the exit.))

Kanya quickly forced her barrier harder causing the guards before her to be push tightly against the walls or the common room. With the barrier holding them in place a gap through the door they came in opened up.

“Come on guys move it. I’ll follow and cover you along the way.” Kanya called out as her barrier still surrounded them.

As Kanya and Andromeda set off down the corridor and towards the exit in the Solitary Room Eli turned to face Giva. The metahuman was much larger than the young necromancer, and much stronger too.

Taking a deep breath Eli started to focus his powers and let the darkness rise up and swarm around them. It was only a few moments before the two of them were lost in the shadows.

~~~

Zygard watched out of his window as a lone female ran away across the scrubland of the mountain. She wasn't a great loss to his plans, but he had to admit he was dissapointed. Left her so-called-friends behind without a care. Not exactly very heroic, but he knew they'd meet again one day.

He couldn't dwell on it for long though, he had other matters to attended to. He had already been informed that the others were attempting to make their way through the castle. Since they had not taken this chance to flee, he had to assume they were coming to face him. How quaint.

Well, he should go and prepare to meet his guests.

((I think if Rarek doesn't post it will have to be a show down between Kanya and Zygard.))

Andromeda watched for a minute longer as Eli began to battle the huge human. She wanted to help, but she knew she couldn't. She turned tail and ran with Kanya away from the fight.

She turned to Kanya as the pair of them forced their way down the hall. "Do we have any idea of where we're going? Eli didn't say anything about this." It was a valid concern. Eli simply told them to get out, but where? They had no idea where Zygard was hiding, and no idea how to find out. Were they just supposed to run until they find him? That could be disastrous.

The Sorceress watched as Kanya and Andromeda split away from Eli. Giva, while in her opinion little more than an animal, had done her a favor. By separating their Master's son from his 'friends' she didn't have to worry about getting him out of harm's way. Giva would probably knock the lad unconscious and then drag him off somewhere.

Turning her attention to the two girls The Sorceress heard Andromeda muse about where to go. As her Master had shown an interest in meeting them, she supposed she had better help them cut a few corners. There wouldn't be any entertainment in letting them tire themselves out searching.

From the safety of her quarters The Sorceress reached over to the mirror she was using to track the girls and drew a complicated little symbol in red light just in front of the glass. It glowed for a moment in the air before fading.

~~~

Moments later a small thumbnail sized ball of red light appeared in the corridor in front of Kanya. It circled around her head to get her attention and then sped off down a side corridor before coming to a stop at another intersection to wait for them.

“Huh.” Kanya paused when something past her eyes. “What was that?!”

She saw the little red light circling her head which slightly caused her to hesitate to take another step. She looked back at Andromeda wondering what she should do. As she turned to look at the light again she was it sped down the hallway. Was this a way out or was it going to lead them to danger. They were looking for the vampire to begin with if but this could be more of a trap than actually confronting him.

“Andromeda what should we do?”

Hmm. It seemed the girls were still indecisive about what they should do. Perhaps some further motivation would be required? The Sorceress once again raised her hand and prepared another spell.

~~~

Moments later the walls around Andromeda and Kanya began to shudder. Suddenly they started to close in, the stones slamming together to form inpassable barriers. Only the corridor in which the ball of red light had flown down remained untouched. If the two girls didn't move, they would be crushed.

Andromeda was about to speak when the walls began to close in on them, stones slamming together behind them.

"Look out!" Andromeda had to practically tackle Kanya out of the way of the approaching walls, ending up crashing to the floor next to her in the "correct" hallway. She lay there panting for a minute.

"It looks to me like our choice was made for us."

The little ball of red light sped off towards another corridor but once again waited for them at an intersection. While it hovered in the air before them the stone walls in the corridor gave a threatening shudder. If they did not move quickly, the stones would start closing in on them again.

((Can whoever posts next have Andromeda and Kanya follow the light all the way a large wooden door?))

Kayna looked bewildered as the walls closed in behind Andromeda. It was clear they were going to get forced into a certain direction. Slightly she pushed Andromeda of and got to her feel looking down the hallway again.

“We better move then. I doubt my barrier could out under such pressure any way.” With that said she lowered her barrier and started making her way down the corridor to where the red light was. As soon as she reached the light he sped off down the corridor again until it reached another intersection. Kanya looked over her shoulder watching if Andromeda was following and luckily she was otherwise she would have been squashed like putty.

It was several twists and turns until the light had paused before a large wooden door. Kanya inspected the door wondering if they should go in or not. Her body was covered in goose bumps not only because of the eeriness of the corridors but she was rather afraid of what lay behind the door.

“Um... you want to open it?” She asked Andromeda looking a bit afraid.

There was no need for either girl to open the large wooden door that stood before them. A few moments after they came to a stop in front of it the door swung open of its own accord. The large room that lay behind it was aglow with candle light. There were hundreds of them, scattered in groups of three or four upon the floor. There was also a lone chandelier hanging from the ceiling, a great metal beast that held perhaps a hundred candles on its own. It would have looked more in place in a ball room.

Below the lake of candles the stone floor had several curious dark patches. Some of them were mere splatters, as though someone had split a drink, others were much larger and more sinister.

Other than the candles there was only one other fixture in the room, a single chair against the far wall. Or perhaps a throne would be a better description. Someone was sitting in it, a man with dark hair and a red coat.

"Ladies" said the vampire cordially in greeting. "I was beginning to wonder where you were. I hope you didn't get too lost."

((Dark hair, red coat? Good gods, I'm gonna be reading in Alucard's voice the whole time now T_T ))

Before Andromeda had the opportunity to open the door, it did that work for her, sliding open with a creak. An expansive room opened up before her, with the shadowy man flickering in the candlelight. She narrowed her eyes. So this was the vampire they'd been controlled by.

"I don't think you gave us much of a choice." She dusted off her sleeves and looked around the room. "You know, there are other light sources which are a lot more efficient than a billion candles." She shoved her thumbs under her sash, making it seem as though she were merely disinterested.

((Sorry for taking so long everyone. Public holidays and work kinda made it hard to post and RP.))

Kanya stayed behind Andromeda as the doors opened she didn’t know what to expect but all she knew was that she was afraid. When she heard a voice a cold chill ran down her spine knowing that this was the monster that forced them to do his bidding.

“Andromeda don’t make him angry.” Kanya whispered.

Zygard chuckled.

"That is true" the vampire conceded. "But I prefer candles. Like myself they have withstood the test of time. Besides, there is something quite alluring about them, wouldn't you agree?"

He looked over at the girl Kanya, who had whispered to Andromeda not to upset him. As a vampire he had quite good hearing. She may as well as shouted.

"Do not fear child" he said standing up. "I'm too old to be angered by childish taunts. If you were ever to live to my age, you'd find very little bothers you any more. One of the perks of being immortal is that anything that annoys you will simply fade away with time."

Zygard his arms in invitation.

"Well? Wasn't there something you were supposed to be doing? I believe you came here with the intention of stopping me didn't you?

Kanya shivered again when the vampire spoke. His words were truly scaring her and the fact that he had heard her caused her to freeze in her tracks. She knew she was in over her head but she felt like she needed to help Andromeda and maybe Eli, where ever he might be now.

“Y-yes.” Kanya replied. “You’re doing bad things to people. That is just wrong.”

Kanya knew her words were simple but at the moment it was the only thing she knew what to say. Her mind was filled with things that could happen to them but she had to stay strong.

The vampire chuckled.

"Good and bad. Right and wrong. Such simple, childish flawed ideas. Eons ago people tried to decide what could be and could not be allowed. They said killing was wrong and tried to impose their beliefs on others. Anyone who disagreed was sentenced to death. You must appreciate the irony."

He began to walk across the room towards the two girls, the candles flickering as he passed them.

"'Doing bad things to people' is a part of nature. You tell yourselves that you do it for a god or a country or even for love, but the truth is you kill and main and hurt because you like it. It's in your blood."

He looked at Andromeda and grinned darkly.

"Like yours my dear. How many people have you hurt? How many have killed? You say it was because you had no choice, there was no other way, but there was. You could have said no. You could have let yourself turn to stone rather than harm another, but you valued your life over theirs. It was too important for you to live, damn the others. You were even willing to join me, despite all I had done, and kill further in my name just to live."

Zygard stopped walking half way across the room. With his back to over half the candles he was in more shadow now.

"Now the two of you stand before me in judgement, thinking me a monster. But I am a vampire dear children. Pain and blood and death is what I am. Birds fly, cats prowl and vampires devour the living. What are your excuses?"

((I think we are going to have to give up on Rarek and just move on Spirit, that is, if you want to continue? We're so close to the end I'd really like to get the RP finished.))

((Mrr. I'm sorry >.< Things have been so busy lately. I'll try to stick around to the end and help get the closure the RP deserves.))

Andromeda scowled venomously at the vampire. "You have the audacity to tell me that I had the choices? Don't stand there on your high horse and claim you had none, that this is your nature. You didn't kill a single one of us yourself, this has nothing to do with you being a vampire. This was entirely your idea of fun or proving some kind of non-existent point. Answer me this vampire, what was your distinct lack of choice in forcing us to battle to the death? Where was your lack of choice in not choosing to save those who are now dead? I suppose that had something to do with being a vampire as well! So I would like to hear your pathetic excuses, dracul. Please, show us how you happen to be greater than us in your choices."

She stood there unblinking, unafraid, staring into the depths of his eyes with a savageness only achieved from pure hatred. Sure, it was true she would've joined him. Not much choice in that or death. She'd rather live and defy than die without purpose.