Ruins

Neverending Nightmare OOC

The Sora one? Yeah I just figured I'd do something completely random.

ON TOPIC: It's okay. Wish I could reply to it, but honestly, I'm waiting for Durppie so you're the most post-y right now anyway.

Haha... posted, probably some grammatic errors to see to but I'll get to them much later, didn't expect that post to be so long, or take as long as it did, had to refresh myself on all my characters. Was planning on posting again for Psychosis and finally introducing Literal but, the post is long enough as it is, don't want to scare anyone away.

Is everyone still here?

Considering that dragcaves anniversary is currently happening I don't expect anyone to post, but I do expect the majority of us to be on, considering it is seven days of new releases. So yes, drop in, let everyone know whose here and whose not, Ruins eventually going to have to update the character list, element of harmony list, and put in the oocs first post the current event going down.

So yes,

Please?

Still here Limn. I'm in limbo waiting on whoever had Letterform. Its a waiting game then.

=D Glad to see RainDash.

I sent Druppie a message, but she hasn't even seen it, there's no sign of eggs onher scroll and judging by her last forum post she's been gone for quite some time. D= Truly distressing.

I sent rinnigold a message since I spotted her out and about, she saw my message (I track them) and she didn't reply. =( Don't know whether or not to assume I'm getting the cold shoulder or she doesn't really know herself.

Um, I want to join, and I sent off a form to the showrunner, but... may I post it here? Y'know, to see if my charrie'd fit in?

Well, sure. I don't think its against the rules...

There is nothing directly prohibiting it.

10. PLEASE PM ME YOUR FORMS IN CODE. Thank you.

You've already done this.

This is the NNOOC, the OOC discussion thread for the MLP:FiM RP NN. For talking about the RP, talking and maybe for character sheets if the other post gets too big.

This iteself shows evidence that the possibility of character forms being put in the OOC is acceptable, though we all know that this wasn't what she meant, but loopholes are alluring.

Technically since you do want to join I believe posting it here for us to view would be fine, Ruins takes her time with character sheets in anycase, we could help work out any bugs.

I'm glad to see you've taken an interest in the rp. smile.gif

<<INSERT FLUTTERYAY HERE>>

Here's the signup for beta-testing. =]

---

Username: colourcodedchaos

Name: Stout Sort

Allegiance: Against Nightmare Moon; her family still gets the same cutie marks for a profession that's almost dead

Age: 35 (though once they pass 31, all mares say are 30 until they are 60, at which point they might be 40)

Species: Unicorn

Looks: Stout Sort's as dark as her namesake, though considerably more purple; her cutie mark of three green hop cones on a vine doesn't really work with anything, especially with the pale tawny of her tied-back mane. Her eyes are a dark shade of hazel and glitter with frustrated intelligence, and she bears a patch of coatless, scarred skin right the way down the left-hand side of her body, which she's rather self conscious about. Because of this, she's one of the few ponies to constantly wear clothes - typically a thick wool jerkin reinforced with chainmail and a pair of battered-looking trousers of similar material. She also has a plastic hard hat with a horn protector and built-in transparent visor.

Personality: Stout Sort's a very angry mare, mostly because of what her cutie mark represents but also because of the accident that gave her that massive scar mentioned previously. However, she's also very fragile and highly-strung, and when someone screws up in her brewery (which is pretty often, considering the sky-high standards she sets herself and others), it's a toss-up whether or not she screams at them to buck their ideas up or sprints off in tears. The artistic temperament is not one entirely suited to her occupation, but she's utterly driven to make her brewery the best in the world... and bring it back to how it used to be.

History: Stout Sort was born in Trottingham along with her twin sister Golding (the obvious nickname proving just how cruel foals can be), though her father Best Bitter was originally going to name her Stout Fellow. That soon went for a Burton when he discovered she was female, proving that private healthcare solutions aren't always the best option. Despite the darkness of the Setting and the pressing need for more food space to be built, Stout Sort's family had been master brewers since the reign of Princess Celestia, if you can believe it, and they weren't going to stop just because they had to grow it in a hydroponics centre.

Golding and Stout Sort were the very best of friends growing up, the former's mellow, slightly spacey nature helping to calm the perennially tense Stout Sort and let her have some fun. They had a reasonably happy foalhood with a close circle of friends and not many others, though Golding was much more at ease in social situations thanks to her temperament. However, it became clear that the two shared a calling, and that calling was ale.

The Wobbly Dog Brewery And Hydroponics Centre was and remains the largest dedicate hop plantation in Equestria, the vines curling around trellises as the harsh UV lamps let them feed on carbon dioxide fumes from one of the nearby steelworks. The very first time they stepped into the brewery, the two knew it was for them, skipping and playing through the tunnels of twisting vines and savouring the scents of so many different varieties. They knew that this was what they wanted to do, even if they couldn't actually, y'know, drink it yet. Now, traditionally the brewery went to the eldest child, but Noble Hop was about as interested in brewing as he was in dancing the hemp fandango, so Best Bitter decided that, on the twins' 18th birthday (Trottingham had different regulation regarding alcohol that the Nightmare didn't care enough about to change), he would give them the keys and tutor them in running the place.

As such, the pair's cutie marks - the vines for Stout Sort and a spiral sparging arm for Golding - came in short order and they began to brew very soon indeed. However, it was at this point that they discovered something Best Bitter had kept from their young lives at this point: the brewery was under constant threat of being shut down by overzealous public order officials who wanted to convert it into yet another grass factory, as Best Bitter called them. So they learned the arts of misdirection and creatively-applied law, and one of Stout Sort's fondest memories remains to this day the face of Rubber Stamp, the brewery's arch-nemesis in the fight to keep it going, being turfed out of her office for being completely slaughtered on Wobbly Dog's finest Trappist-type, which they'd managed to convince her was non-alcoholic. Not very bright when it came to things other than bureaucracy, Rubber Stamp.

However, there was a dark time on the horizon. Their adversary might have gone, but she wasn't quite done yet. When the guards were asleep - and yes, the brewery had to have guards - the bureaucrat bat pony flittered in on silent wings and tried to sabotage one of the main water tanks. She was discovered, but her damage wasn't... until it was too late.

A few days later, while working on the latest batch of their mainstay Wobble's Best, Stout Sort noticed a creaking coming from the hot tank. The thing about brewing is that the water used has to be kept at 80 degrees Celsius, or 176 degrees Fahrenheit. This wasn't unusual. But the problem was that Rubber Stamp had messed around with the heating regulator on the outside of the tank and managed to disable the temperature restrictor. The result was pressurized steam with nowhere to go until the tank ruptured.

Every night, Stout Sort remembers it. The odd moment of calm as she realised what was wrong with the tank, the way time seemed to slow down as she galloped around just in time to see the steam break free, the way her skin blistered from the heat of it as she pulled her broken, screaming sister to safety, the way she couldn't hear the alarms going off, the way the doctor shook his head, the flowers, the black suits, the singing and the tears of those who didn't know her, couldn't know her, not like she did... days and weeks blurring into one moment, one howl of pain against the void, the hole in her life that her sister's death stabbed into her.

She's still grieving after two years.

Nowadays, she's made it her life's work to expand the brewery and bring it back to the glory days - figure of speech, since "days" aren't really a thing, but still - of the pre-Setting era. There are so many lost varieties, so many old, dead secrets... it hurts her that she can't make the same things her forefathers made, all those years ago. It doesn't help that these are lean times for the brewery, either. The wolves are closing in, and they're not just of the timber variety that try and eat the draymares. Ever since the accident that claimed Golding's life, production's been carefully monitored by ponies who see Wobbly Dog as the last link to the time before the Empress wrested control from the usurper, and they're just waiting for an excuse to shut her down.

But they haven't succeeded yet. With mass unemployment a serious problem in Neighstramo and the help of a local quangocrat who loves what they produce, Wobbly Dog have set up a pilot plant for another brewery to put the brakes on the unemployment and teach necessary life skills to disadvantaged youth - so the brochure says. In reality, the resistance to the Nightmare is concentrated in that city, but it took Stout Sort a while to figure out a good cover story for moving there. Why would she even get wrapped up in that movement? Well, it's all to do with a certain kind of mould.

In her family's collection of ancient brewing recipes that stretch back to before the end of the Sun, the oldest recipes talk about how their mainstay was the finest beer in the land. It was a lambic style, open-fermented, with the earth bringing in fermenting yeasts on the wind to give the ponies of Trottingham the best beer they'd ever tasted. Cabinet after cabinet shows dulled, faded ribbons, but the gold still shines out - and there's a lot of gold for Old Wobble's Sour Apple Special. When they first took over the brewery, the twin sisters had decided that the first beer they were going to do was a reworking of this most famous ale... but then Best Bitter had dropped his final bombshell.

The wild yeasts and bacteria that had given SAS it's incredible flavour were well documented in the family almanacs. However, they needed certain conditions to survive - conditions that were only found in two places, the family plantation outside Trottingham itself and in a little village called Ponyville, where it did odd things to the local cider. They needed wind patterns, they needed stable food supplies, but most of all they needed sunlight. And sunlight was in very short supply these days. The trottanomyces mould was extinct, and they could never make another drop of their greatest ever creation.

Golding took it badly, but Stout Sort took it worst of all. For a traditionalist and lover of the craft like her, having a chance to recapture the spirit of a bygone age when there was a sense of wonder about brewing snatched away by the Empress' eternal night felt like a stab wound to the heart. She hadn't ever loved Nightmare Moon, not in the same way that some of her friends did, but this just felt like the death of a dream.

Now, though, she works with the resistance to bring back the sun and bring back her family's good name. She knows it won't bring her sister back... but every now and then, when the new beer is perfected and the bits are rolling in, she can almost hear Golding say she's proud of her.

Special Skill: Her cutie mark, represented here by a picture that isn't exactly right but is the closest I could get, is all about brewing and growing hops. She has a deep, intuitive understanding of what flavours they have and why, how they grow, how to prevent diseases, how to develop interesting strains, all sorts. Sometimes people say that she's wasting space that could be used to grow food. Her response is generally an emotionless breakdown of what they do and why, because what she wants to do is beat them to the ground and stamp on them until they stop twitching. Dat artistic temperament, man.

Strengths: An in-depth knowledge the principles of botany, bioengineering, flavour chemistry, and the magic associated with making large amounts of boiling water into delicious beery goodness. Also semi-decent at Kerplunk.

Weaknesses: A short fuse, a highly strung nature, and a tendency to wake up screaming her sister's name at three o'clock in the morning.

Missing Word: REDACTED

---

Whatcha think?

Woah. Long history. So she's been living in Nieghstramo for how long?

About a couple of months or so. I like to be detailed with my histories; as Edward Said once said (at least I think it was him, I'll have to check later), "there is no such thing as plot, only characters", so I find it good to write as much for the history as necessary.

I wish I could do as long history. Also, is she an Element of Harmony? If so, she kinda needs to be at the festival.

I was under the impression that they were all taken, but she'll be there anyway. Can't have a festival without alcohol, after all...

biggrin.gif Oh sweet someone is trying to join us.

I'll post when I get the time, I am very distracted.

Everyone! I got a reply from RinniGold. She didn't/doesn't know if she was still in the rp or if she wasn't welcome back, but she is interested in coming back. So this all depends on Ruins.

Now, to that character examination, please know colourcodedchaos I mean no offense in the slightest if anything I say miffs you.

her family still gets the same cutie marks for a profession that's almost dead.

Well, I could never call alcohol a dead profession, but then I don't know much about the profession in any case.

You make it sound as though they get the exact same cutie mark, or at least that was my first impression. As well as the thought that Stout Sort was bring chivalry back, that is almost dead isn't it? wink.gif Wink wink, nudge nudge. I suggest rewriting the sentence, something like 'family tradition and profession runs deep in her family'.

Age: 35 (though once they pass 31, all mares say are 30 until they are 60, at which point they might be 40)

Forever young? Shall I assume this means Stout Sort is capable of joking about?

Looks: Stout Sort's as dark as her namesake, though considerably more purple; her cutie mark of three green hop cones on a vine doesn't really work with anything, especially with the pale tawny of her tied-back mane. Her eyes are a dark shade of hazel and glitter with frustrated intelligence, and she bears a patch of coatless, scarred skin right the way down the left-hand side of her body, which she's rather self conscious about. Because of this, she's one of the few ponies to constantly wear clothes - typically a thick wool jerkin reinforced with chainmail and a pair of battered-looking trousers of similar material. She also has a plastic hard hat with a horn protector and built-in transparent visor.

As dark as her namesake? As far as I know neither the word stout nor sort are generally colored. If 'Stout Sort' is a type of beer I'd say it'd be fair to assume most wouldn't get the reference. Also because it's the beginning of the form and Stout Sort's name doesn't really allude to ale, this would be confusing. Also all different kinds of ale/beer/vodka/whatever the hell else there is, differentiate in color.

I'm not even sure what color she is, is her coat obsidian? Also is her hair long short or long? Straight, curly or wavy? usually done up a certain way? Plain tied up could be anything, a ponytail, a bun... What about her tail? Also since the burn scar on Stout Sort is important I'd love for you to define where exactly the scar is, where it begins on her side and where it ends, how far it reaches up her back and down her belly, etc.

I find that comment of how Stout Sort's cutie mark not working with anything awkward in that sentence concerning grammer and placement, but not a real bother.

Personality: Stout Sort's a very angry mare, mostly because of what her cutie mark represents but also because of the accident that gave her that massive scar mentioned previously. However, she's also very fragile and highly-strung, and when someone screws up in her brewery (which is pretty often, considering the sky-high standards she sets herself and others), it's a toss-up whether or not she screams at them to buck their ideas up or sprints off in tears. The artistic temperament is not one entirely suited to her occupation, but she's utterly driven to make her brewery the best in the world... and bring it back to how it used to be.

Stout Sort seems to have a good amount of character development possibility. wub.gif But she sure sounds like she's going to be hard to deal with, not a bad thing considering the world the rp is in, I'd love to see her and Night Haunter get into a rowdy battle of pride and will.

The history looks fine, there are some things that are kinda wonky but look acceptable. We do need to know exactly when Stout Sort came to Neighstramo though, it sounds like it was 2 years ago after the original factory blew. Gotta know how long the locals have been coming to her pub y'know?

Also

Now, though, she works with the resistance to bring back the sun and bring back her family's good name. She knows it won't bring her sister back... but every now and then, when the new beer is perfected and the bits are rolling in, she can almost hear Golding say she's proud of her.

Honestly I'd like to say 'what knew beer' there's been a lot of talking about making beer and being unable to make the beer Stout Sort and Golding wanted too because there was no sun, I feel like this is the beer your talking about but I thought Stout Sort was still working on it. Also this line kinda sounds like closure for a mare we've learned is still haunted by her sisters death and is angry and moody the majority of the time.

Special Skill: Her cutie mark, represented here by a picture that isn't exactly right but is the closest I could get, is all about brewing and growing hops. She has a deep, intuitive understanding of what flavours they have and why, how they grow, how to prevent diseases, how to develop interesting strains, all sorts. Sometimes people say that she's wasting space that could be used to grow food. Her response is generally an emotionless breakdown of what they do and why, because what she wants to do is beat them to the ground and stamp on them until they stop twitching. Dat artistic temperament, man.

... How is she not in jail? But that aside, the sentence beginning with the word 'sometimes' has nothing to do with her cutie marks meaning, I suggest moving that to the personality section.

Everything else seems legit though, if you would fix the things I mentioned above that would be splendid.

In order:-

1} The reason I say it's almost dead is because real ale relies on quite a lot of acreage of hops and you can't really use hops for anything else. Other type of alcohol (to use your examples of vodka and wine) use grains and grapes and so forth - to wit, stuff you can use to feed people anyway. You can't do that with hops, so I assumed that there wouldn't be much of it and that well-intentioned bureaucrats would try to get rid of the hops to grow more food for a starving populace. I'm also following the headcanon that families who've been doing the same stuff for a long time tend to get similar cutie marks.

2} She's not eternally youthful, no; it's just a sarcastic joke of hers about the female attitude to discussion of their age.

3a.} Stout is a type of black beer. A mainstream example would be Guinness. Her coat, however, is a dark indigo (hence "considerably more purple").

3b.} Her manestyle is left deliberately vague because to her, a mane is just something that gets in the way.

3c.} Her scar runs the length of her left flank, from the tip of her chest almost to her rump. Steam burns are injuries that I do not recommend Googling.

3d.} Stout Sort comes from a family of brewers and we've seen in the show how families tend to have names related to their products and marks (cf. Applejack's army of cousins, the Cakes, and so forth), so it's a fairly safe assumption that her name is going to be related to beer and ale in some way.

4} The original brewery didn't explode, a water tank broke. The reason it was serious was because it burned Stout Sort's sister to death in the process. Again, I must stress that Googling images of steam burns is not a happy pastime.

5} There are a myriad varieties of beer, and Stout Sort is dedicated to the creation of as many of them as possible. However, some varieties cannot be made in a climate of eternal night, because who's going to save mould? Stout's a perfectionist, like most artists, and this is something that she literally cannot do. For her, that hurts.

6} Well, she's not in jail because she doesn't actually beat everypony half to death for telling her that bringing a bit of happiness to tens of thousands of ponies is meaningless because other ponies are starving. But if you've devoted your entire life to something and invested your sense of self-worth in being the best at it only for people to repeatedly tell you how pointless it is, how would you feel?

1. Not many people know that, me included, I hath been schooled this day. Thank you, love new information. I suggest including that in your characters information.

Yes, like the apples right? I was ust saying that it sounded like they have the exact same cutie mark, like copy and paste.

2. I was merely complimenting the joke.

3a.You should probably put that into the character sheet as well, as well as actually defining her color.

3b. She may not care about her hair but for others I'd be nice to know. I happen to enjoy details.

3c. Thank you. Good on you for the warning there, but I happen to have a charcter with burns myself in another roleplay so I already know what to expect.

4.The tank broke in an explosion of glory, killing Stout Sort's sister and who knows who else. I was under the asusmption a fire got started and ruined things, I apologize and suggest clarifying the brewerys damage.

5.I would clarify that in your character's sheet.

6. I don't have her temprement and would focus on the people who did like what I did, but that's besides the point. We have a mayor who kills people for goodness sake, that comment was a personal note on my part. If people who wanted to shut her down managed to get people to think she's a danger because of her personality, they would have her in an asylum, but she's obviously not. I'm sorry if I offended.

Haha, the only point I feel like I could comment on was seven. She doesn't do that often, right? Again, that would be enough for the guards to pay attention unless she bribes them. But you fixed that so its not problem.

I'm not good at looking over sheets this long. My brain just goes 'nope' and shuts down. I don't see anything glaringly bad though. I kinda hope that you do get accepted just so that I can have Twilight rudely poke at Stout.

Well I finally posted, I thought the bit with just Moon Blitz acknowledging Basilisk was a bit too short, so I added random talking. /About marefriends... kinda setting things up for Blitz to flirt with Twilight Charmer./

Okay. Also, Durppie posted! YAY!

I'm getting excited to see what'll happen when he tries...

Sorry guys, been flying around without a head this past week, I'll see about posting either later today or tomorrow.

As am I. I'll try to post more, but more than likely its going to be just one each thread per day...

I apologize that I never got around to posting, I'm unsure what is wrong with me, but the moment I obtain coherent fluidity and connect once again with Basilisk's personality, there will be posting. :I In other words, I should be good in the morning, I'll find out whether or not my minds working when I awake later this morn.

So yes... Please forgive my broken words, time has been getting away with from me with ease.

sad.gif

It very well could be. We've lost a lot of players...

Lost a lot of players, or we're in the shadows waiting for direction.

If your still alive and kicking, feel free to drop us a post, even if it's just an ellipse.