arlymaye

Dragon's Cave AP - The junk yard or?

Just for curiosity sake, what does the cave's AP actually look like from a RP POV? We can visualize the different biomes but I can't seems to visualize the AP. I know there are trees around because I just tied a hatchie to a tree trunk and left it there... tongue.gif

Bringing this from another thread. smile.gif

Personally I just imagine it as a kind of clearing with eggs chucked unceremoniously into a vague pile.

maybe with some confused hatchies wandering around tongue.gif

So, how do you visualize DC's AP?

And where is the AP on DC's map? blink.gif

Edited by arlymaye

There is a dragon cave on a cliffside near the junction of the roads to the various biomes. There is a clearing around the cave entrance and a few trees and rocks scattered around. Anyone who has grabbed an egg they don't want, or bred an egg they aren't keeping drops their egg here. When too many eggs get dropped in this area, it blocks access to the roads and the cave, and no one is able to get to the junction and travel to the various biomes.

While the main cave is in the rock wall at the base of a mountain, and partially obscured by tall trees, there is a large meadow to the left of the path as you approach the cave, studded with random boulders and rock piles. In that shadows of these odd piles, eggs which have been removed from the cave are gathered by an anonymous caretaker, preventing them from spoiling in the midday sun. The caretaker, who cannot raise all these eggs by himself, knows that placing them carefully with minimal shelter will enable the oft-seen collectors to find and and adopt the abandoned eggs. If you climb the small hills to the northwest side of the meadow, the hills slope down the other side to a large desert. Traveling south, along the edge of the forest, a bay opens to the sea.

Well, the page does say it's outside a cave, but other than that... I saw it as a spot where the dragons would leave the eggs. Sense once a human touches an egg the dragons won't care for it, perhaps it's just a place where the dragons gather all the human smelling eggs to get them out of their way. Also, it could be a way to distract humans from taking their eggs, as clearly your a person easily persuaded to take the lazy way out. Your RP person/thing/whatever will say that, "You set off toward the (insert biome here), you see a massive pile of eggs. You decide there are plenty of eggs there, and traveling is unnecessary."... Crafty dragons dry.gif

But yeah

some animals will abandon the weaker or undesireable young/eggs away from the nest as a way to deter predators from catching a bite to eat from the nest. The ap page could merely be the dragon's lure. It doesn't have to do with human scent on the eggs or not.

I tend to envision both the biomes and the AP as representing multiple locations (with similar climates and whatnot) to account for the sheer size that DC's world would have to be in order to support massive populations of dragons.

some animals will abandon the weaker or undesireable young/eggs away from the nest as a way to deter predators from catching a bite to eat from the nest. The ap page could merely be the dragon's lure.

I pretty much agree with this explanation; most of the eggs we snatch are actually runts who have been discarded further from the nest than their siblings and basically left to die. Humans (or whatever we are) with unwanted eggs/hatchlings subsequently make their own areas like the main caves, for doing as the dragons do and leaving our undesirables for other people or predators to deal with. As these areas become more well-known, they become less like 'I'll just leave you here to die' and more like 'I'll just leave you here for someone else to find'.

I see it as a large cave, with tunnels that lead to the biomes. There's a big entrance for the dragons, and the eggs are piled up around a small entrance for humans. The "Ohidontwantthisifileaveitheremaybesomebodywilltakeit." mentality. Hence the reason the cave blocks, we cannot physically get past the eggs xd.png Surrounded by forests, hence the trees for the hatchlings, but quite wide, so adult dragons can use it as a runway.

I sort of always picture the AP to be this large clearing near a cave that humans just started bringing eggs and hatchlings to that they didn't want. They know the parent dragons won't take them back, but they hope that someone else will like the egg. Pretty soon more and more people started doing this same until it because the abandoning place for all dragon eggs.

It makes me laugh when I picture how egg grabbers must look from an RP perspective. Hunting for a certain type? You're the person standing just staring at all the eggs. You watch a person come in with the egg you want. They set it down. YOU LUNGE AT THEIR FEET. Only to realize that the egg isn't exactly what you want, you then toss the egg aside to wait some more.

Edited by TwilitProphet

To be honest, I kind of ignore the AP RP wise, because I know what I want, and I do not want to stop at that large pile and get eggs from there, but the game forces it upon you. In a way, the AP suddenly blocking the cave doesn't really make much sense, after all, the text says how you don't want to bother traveling because of how many eggs are available, but I am already there! What, does after so many eggs being put in, do I get teleported away from eggs I am looking at so that now I HAVE to see those AP eggs?

I sort of always picture the AP to be this large clearing near a cave that humans just started bringing eggs and hatchlings to that they didn't want. They know the parent dragons won't take them back, but they hope that someone else will like the egg. Pretty soon more and more people started doing this same until it because the abandoning place for all dragon eggs.

It makes me laugh when I picture how egg grabbers must look from an RP perspective. Hunting for a certain type? You're the person standing just staring at all the eggs. You watch a person come in with the egg you want. They set it down. YOU LUNGE AT THEIR FEET. Only to realize that the egg isn't exactly what you want, you then toss the egg aside to wait some more.

That's pretty much how I picture it.

I find it even funnier to picture someone walking in with a really rare egg and having 20+ people dive and scuffle for it until someone slips off, somehow unseen with their prize in hand. And funnier still if you picture the eggs to be roughly ostrich-egg-sized, and a bit awkward to carry.

I like to think of the AP as a river where one goes panning for gold... Sometimes you find just rocks, sometimes gems, sometimes gold, and rarely but still sometimes, you find a diamond!

When you could catch by codes, I saw the AP full of loitering people, and whenever someone announced a free-for-all people huddle around the dropper, until they set the egg(s) down and the grabbers all hurl themselves at the egg. The one with their hands on the eggshell first wins. :P

Now the AP's still full of loiterers, especially during the holidays, but every rare egg turns into a free-for-all, while the AP egg pile is a huge pile of eggs. As for the "I see eggs, must leave biome" mentality: if you can see the top of the abandoned eggs pile from a biome, you better get some eggs from over there instead before the whole AP pile decides to topple over.

I always just saw it as a clearing in a forest with eggs scattered everywhere and hatchlings tied to trees. I never really thought of the people who camp out there. I guess that would be watching from the trees ready to pounce.

The AP is the entrance to all the biomes, and when the AP is too full, you can not get to the biomes

I imagine it as a clearing with bits of biome (like, a pond off to the side for the water eggs to be "sitting in a shallow puddle") where humans leave eggs, hoping others will take them.

In fact, since there are so many people who sit there refreshing, there must be a pile of eggs, and a bunch of humans sitting in a big circle staring intently at the pile. Makes for a funny image when someone leaves a rare egg. A bunch of people jump onto it in as soon as that person lets go, and everyone is left searching for the egg while the taker sneaks away.

I can't explain why the text says, "Try as you might, you cannot seem to find the egg you are looking for in the abandoned area" though. How do we not notice that an egg's been taken?

Even if the egg is the size of a football, once a dozen people pounce on it, it's invisible to everyone but the person at the bottom of the pile who got there first. Then when the crowd clears, everyone looks around and the egg is gone.