ZzelaBusya

ANSWERED:Papers: bringing genders back!

Good evening everyone <3

Sorry for bringing up the topic of Papers again and please don't slap me hard for this thread laugh.gif

Some years ago Papers used to have genders, but at one point they stopped getting them. It seems like there is a certain group of people (including me) who would still love to see Papers gendered. So I've thought about the following...

How about giving users an opportunity to get gendered Papers again if they actually feel like it? smile.gif

What I mean is: Papers would still be unknown-gendered by default, but an influenced egg would become gendered?

This solution would not affect those who do not wish to see their Papers having genders on their scroll and regard it as illogical (I mean, no one can force you to influence an egg), but would also perfectly suit users who would like to get some for their collection to complete it or simply like the idea of genders for Papers.

I know that dragons like Papers, Dinos and such cannot breed, but as far as I know (as I was told, at least), Papers are the only species of unbreedables which used to have both genders, so I thought to try posting this topic.

Some arguments against that have been mentioned:

• Paper dragons should have no gender because paper itself has none.
  • They are unbreedables, therefore they don't need genders.
  • They are jokes and need no gender.
  • The suggestion might slightly affect the values of Papers; if genders are added again, ungendered Paper hatchlings could possibly be worth a bit more than before.
  • The fact that Papers are ungendered makes them special.
Some arguments for that have been mentioned:
  • Although paper has no gender, dolls and other creations can have gender, therefore there is no reason for Papers not to.
  • The suggestion is harmless and wouldn't affect people who are against it, if implemented, since they would be free not to influence their Papers and therefore get no gendered ones.
  • The feature would let people get their full sets if they are currently missing certain genders (e.g. 2 females, 2 ungendered and no males).
  • Papers used to have genders and needn't have been deprived.
  • Grammatical gender in some languages - "Tisch" (table [De]) can't breed and yet it's masculine.
  • It is possible to fold paper into something anatomically correct: if paper can be made to look like a dragon, it can be made to look like a gendered dragon.
Also, please note an idea expressed by tjekan:

However, it doesn't really make sense for a pink to be able to influence them. Pinks influence eggs by changing the amount of heat applied to a developing egg, which affects the embryo's development. Obviously this would have no effect on paper. Perhaps an Origami BSA could be given to a playful breed of dragon who would then 'tweak' a paper hatchling (not egg) to resemble its own gender, much as a child might do to a doll or toy. It wouldn't have to change the hatchling enough to give it actual dimorphism in the sprite, but just enough to make it identifiable as male or female on our scroll information. :-)
Can work as an alternative to Influence in case everything should be precise concerning the use of the Influence BSA. However, unfortunately I can't come up with an idea of which dragons would do that xd.png So if you think that would be a nice thing, it would be great to see some ideas. =)

Please keep in mind that making Papers breedable or creating dimorphism for Papers aren't what this suggestion proposes.

Thank you very much! ^__^

Edited by ZzelaBusya

I don't see why not...

Some of my papers are gendered because they used to actually gender in the past so why not now. xd.png

Edit: Maybe it was because paper can't have a gender...?

Edited by Lyxii

I remember that a few years ago we had a thread for paper gendering... we even had like 5 banners for it (haha one of them had a paper hatchings say "Mommy, am I a boy or a girl?) But it was closed by either TJ or a mod, and I think TJ wasn't ever going to implement paper gendering.

I support ^^

I mean, the old pink and purples had genders despite only being able to be one gender. Unless things have changed, chickens still are female despite them only being able to be female and such.

Although if this was implemented, I would prefer it being for papers AND cheeses since those are in the same boat of being thing-dragons rather than animal-dragons.

edit: cheese lol

Edited by Anz96

I would love anything that would make it possible for me to get the 2 males I intended to have.

I don't see why not. I think this would be interesting to add. :3

Trust you to have a suggestion for papers, Zzela tongue.gif.

Edited by TheGrox

I mean, the old pink and purples had genders despite only being able to be one gender. Unless things have changed, chickens still are female despite them only being able to be female and such.

Although if this was implemented, I would prefer it being for papers AND sponges since those are in the same boat of being thing-dragons rather than animal-dragons.

That's because they had/have genders - they were female. Roosters are male, so chickens have to be female only since all we have are chickens. x3 Enchanted objects can't really have a gender, though I know a lot of people attach genders to inanimate objects and such.

In an RP-sense, I think things are fine the way they are. Game-wise for users I think it'd be a little odd and confusing to keep switching papers from genders - no genders - genders, but I think this would be the best compromise on how to do it. :3 And personally I'm pretty neutral on the subject.

Sponges - did you mean cheeses? o_O

It does seem kind of odd:

Chickens, unbreedable joke breed, all female. Always were, still are.

Dinos, unbreedable joke breed, were all male, now all ungendered.

Papers, unbreedable joke breed, were male/female, originals kept their genders, new releases ungendered.

Cheeses, unbreedable joke breed, released ungendered.

Only Papers kept their original genders, but were then released ungendered. It doesn't seem quite fair to have 3 genders for one joke breed and just 1 gender for each of the others. It might not have bothered me so much if the papers changed to ungendered without leaving the original genders in place, but having them change halfway through me collecting the ones I want, and then staying the gender I caught while I can't get the other gender just rankles. The change for the Dinos didn't bother me because I had gotten the ones I wanted and there is still just 1 gender. Of course, the Cheeses were released ungendered, so there is no reason to want any change there.

If you choose Paper as HM can you choose gender?

I'd like to see gendered papers actually just for satisfaction.

Edited by Ashywolf

I don't think it makes much sense for things made of paper to have genders, and thus it seems like the only logical thing to do would be to wipe genders from all papers, new and old.

That being said.

I DO have a few gendered papers, and I enjoy them because of the general oddness of it now. Also, I find it much easier to describe dragons with genders then ones where I always have to call them it. So even if it's not logical, I'd like to have genders for them brought back, or at least have things left as-is.

I wish papers could become gendered, but I'm fairly certain it won't happen. I'm just grateful that the old papers were allowed to keep their gender.

Sponges - did you mean cheeses? o_O

Lol yeah xd.png

Too much time on neopets and their sponge creatures, and it's not my fault we chose to use swiss cheese, lol

Edited by Anz96

Has been tried, no reason not to try again.

Why in the world does a fantasy game have to *make sense*?

Stifling the imagination is counter-productive.

I support this.

I rather like the influencing idea, too. I know it would take a decent bit of coding to make something like that even possible, but if it was do-able...

I'd be very happy about this. I'm one of those users with one female paper (no males), and I've always felt a bit lopsided about it.

i am against having genders on papers again for three reasons.

1. They are a joke. Dinos, chickens, papers, and cheeses are jokes in the cave and really shouldn't need genders.

2. They don't breed so whats the point in genders.

3. Paper itself has no gender, thus enchanted paper doesn't have a gender either.

I don't think it makes much sense for things made of paper to have genders, and thus it seems like the only logical thing to do would be to wipe genders from all papers, new and old.

That being said.

I DO have a few gendered papers, and I enjoy them because of the general oddness of it now.

I would prefer the original Papers keep their genders, I would really not want for them to be removed. I also have a few gendered Papers and look at them with fondness.

Like raindear, I would like genders for Papers to return so I can balance out my Papers with genders with the genders I still need.

i am against having genders on papers again for three reasons.

1. They are a joke. Dinos, chickens, papers, and cheeses are jokes in the cave and really shouldn't need genders.

2. They don't breed so whats the point in genders.

3. Paper itself has no gender, thus enchanted paper doesn't have a gender either.

I would agree - except - that they used to have. So they need not have been DEPRIVED sad.gif

Like most people, I'd love for papers to show a gender again. (I also remember one of the badges people used for just this purpose. It showed a paper hatchling saying, "I think I'm a girl because I'm pretty!" Okay, so the spelling might have been a little different, I'm not totally sure...)

Genders can be done based on their personality. Yes- paper may not have much of a personality, but the fact it is enchanted means no two paper dragons would "act" the same.

Just a thought.

Genders can be done based on their personality. Yes- paper may not have much of a personality, but the fact it is enchanted means no two paper dragons would "act" the same.

Just a thought.

Pretty much this. Also, I thought that gender is considered more of a social construct than just a biological one. As long as we continue to call it gender, I tend to think it should be ok for papers to have one.

Besides, as this idea is proposed, if the idea of gendered papers bothers you and you don't want any, you don't have to influence them and they will never gender.

Edited by Nectaris

The way I see it, the only reason a dragon needs to be designated by the site as male or female is because of its role in breeding. Dragons that don't breed don't need that. Technically, what the site designates is sex, rather than gender.

Part of the reason I don't want to make gender a part of the actual site is because if dragons are as smart as humans, they probably have a fluid concept of gender like we do, and then you'd have to get transgender dragons, and agender dragons, and genderqueer dragons, and what have you. Because the dragon's mind doesn't actually factor into the workings of the site at all, it's better to leave things like gender identity for the user to determine.

Therefore, I propose if you want your Paper dragon to be a girl, name her Sally and be done with it.

(I think the whole thing would be easier if the "male" and "female" designators were removed from existing Paper dragons, but that's another matter.)