Pokemonfan13

ANSWERED:Suggestions to improve the raffle

My suggestion is that if someone has won a Prize in the last two years, then they don't get to win yet another one.

I don't agree with this, but I understand that people winning more than one raffle feels a little... uncomfortable?.

Maybe HMs being a fair game for everyone who enters the raffle, while having the chance of winning a Prize only for people who haven't won and selected one (because some winners choose a HM instead) would be better?

Getting another one by trading/gifting/AP picking would still be possible for people who won one before, and at the same time it may be enough to avoid the weird feeling of this unforeseen turn of luck?

My suggestion is that if someone has won a Prize in the last two years, then they don't get to win yet another one.

I now totally understand why someone would suggest this.

I don't want to cause trouble but...

can somebody please tell me how big the chances are to win a 1st-3rd prize twice?

I know 2 persons who won twice.

The first person won a Silver Shimmer last year and has now a Silver Tinsel too.

The secon person already had a Bronze Shimmer and got a Silver Shimmer.

Then, there's one user who stated that she won a Silver Shimmer and her husband won a Silver Tinsel.

Two prizes went to the same household. Two prizes went to scrolls with already a cb prize on it (who knows, maybe there are more?).

From 120 available 1st-3rd prizes. The DC forum has currently 66,033 registered members, the numbers of players who aren't registered might be higher. I don't know how many users entered the raffle successfully.

To be honest, the more I think of it the fishier it seems to me and it surely has changed my views regarding this raffle thing.

Edited by Mondat

Well, I think it might make a difference that in the past it depended on voting. It's possible that the people who tried hardest then would be ones to stick around for the raffle now. Something like that may be affecting things - I agree though, it does seem really rare, but randomness can have clusters. And I very, very highly doubt anything fishy actually happened (as unless there was some kind of computer code malfunction(?) it just is what it is, because I really think there's no way TJ is going to manipulate results).

edit: Here's another link on the subject - I think stuff like this is pretty interesting.

Edited by diaveborn

Well, I think it might make a difference that in the past it wasn't completely random but depended on voting. It's possible that the people who tried hardest then would be ones to stick around for the raffle now. Something like that may be affecting things - I agree though, it does seem really rare, but randomness can have clusters. And I very, very highly doubt anything fishy actually happened (as unless there was some kind of computer code malfunction(?) it just is what it is, because I really think there's no way TJ is going to manipulate results).

edit: Here's another link on the subject - I think stuff like this is pretty interesting.

Mmmm, yes. Just because I rolled a die six times and got 5, 2, 6, 6, 6, 4 doesn't mean there's anything wrong with my die. New numbers aren't connected to previous numbers and it's just my squishy, coincidence-loving human brain that makes me decide that the Devil has possessed my RNG!

I don't doubt the validity of the winners (I assume TJ would be even more vigilant now than ever for cheating), but I'm also in favor of preventing (or just limiting) winners from winning again unless prize amounts are drastically upped. I can see why even winners might want to win again (maybe they didn't like the color or type they received), but at the same time it is pretty frustrating to watch those who already have the game on a silver platter get treated so once again.

I don't doubt the validity of the winners (I assume TJ would be even more vigilant now than ever for cheating), but I'm also in favor of preventing (or just limiting) winners from winning again unless prize amounts are drastically upped. I can see why even winners might want to win again (maybe they didn't like the color or type they received), but at the same time it is pretty frustrating to watch those who already have the game on a silver platter get treated so once again.

Totally agree, almost they couldn't win the same prize. They could win a prize dragon the first time (tinsel or Shimmer) and than they could only win HM, that are great, too!

It's so bad as suggestion?

Mondat: one of the winners you mentioned had their scroll burned.

(Losing two CB prizes. /sigh What a waste)

Edited by DarkEternity

I'm just gonna say I'm still against excluding previous winners just because they got lucky once

I'm just gonna say I'm still against excluding previous winners just because they got lucky once

Me too. Random is random, not random except for this and that.

It's just really disheartening to see some people winning two prizes when most of us can only desperately hope to ever have one. There are raffles and contests where past winners are removed from the pool, so I don't think it's a totally wild idea.

On a somewhat related note, if it were implemented, it might be nice if people could choose whether they want a shimmer or tinsel. Hopefully personal preference would balance out the numbers between the two.

It's just really disheartening to see some people winning two prizes when most of us can only desperately hope to ever have one. There are raffles and contests where past winners are removed from the pool, so I don't think it's a totally wild idea.

On a somewhat related note, if it were implemented, it might be nice if people could choose whether they want a shimmer or tinsel. Hopefully personal preference would balance out the numbers between the two.

This. I didn't care, before the winners started coming forward. Now I'm royally pissed. TWO prizes, going to previous winners? When I've no real hope of a 2nd gen, after many years? I'm sorry, but situations like this is why there ARE hard feelings about the raffles.

Most contests / raffles with extremely high end prizes have limits. You can't win the main prize if you've already won one, or if you've won in the last x number of months / years.

That sort of limit: That a given scroll can not win two prizes dragons (but CAN win an Honorable Mention) seems fair to me. Now, trading / catching a 2nd CB Prize, that's different.

But I think, you can only have your scroll *win* one Prize dragon, period, is fair to all. And that there are no limits on who can win an HM.

Cheers!

C4.

I am honestly dumbfounded at the people upset that people won twice in a row. I didn't win, and while yes, winning would be nice, I'm equally glad I didn't win because I know there's somebody who is able to enjoy their prize now. Saying that somebody can't win twice would exclude them from the thrill of frantically checking their email and the prize link to see if they've own and would certainly make them feel bad. Don't be upset you didn't win--winning is unlikely, and getting angry about somebody else's success will only prevent you from seeing what the raffle's really all about.

Now, I would support redraws for winners whose scrolls are burnt, since that would ensure the amount of new prizes grows the way it is supposed to, and not by a smaller amount. #2cents

Edited by PieMaster

They already won. They can't feel /that/ bad. Also much better, IMO, for someone who's never had the thrill of winning to win than for someone who's already had that thrill to get it twice.

There are other changes I think are more important, but I still think it's an idea worth considering.

Now, I would support redraws for winners whose scrolls are burnt, since that would ensure the amount of new prizes grows the way it is supposed to, and not by a smaller amount. #2cents

I agree with this. We don't actually know that TJ isn't already planning to do this, as he hasn't said one way or the other, but it would make sense to me that prizes that get burnt before they've even grown up would be replaced in a redraw.

I am also completely opposed to the idea of telling anyone they can't win in the raffle just because they got lucky once already. Talk about unfair!

Would you consider it unfair if Marrionetta won? Or if Mysfytt won? They have cb prizes. Would there be an outcry because they have 2 cb prizes? Would there be an outcry if TJ won? Limiting a person's ability to win based on what happened in the past is what I'd consider unfair.

While I find it very disheartening that there are people who have won twice(very disheartening), I don't see a reason why winners shouldn't be given a chance to win again. The way winners are chosen is completely random and fair, it's not like anyone played the system or anything. Congrats to them for being so ludicrously lucky twice(although I thought that people with two prizes all traded for their second one?).

Edited by Draco Knight

I agree with this. We don't actually know that TJ isn't already planning to do this, as he hasn't said one way or the other, but it would make sense to me that prizes that get burnt before they've even grown up would be replaced in a redraw.

I am also completely opposed to the idea of telling anyone they can't win in the raffle just because they got lucky once already. Talk about unfair!

Would you consider it unfair if Marrionetta won? Or if Mysfytt won? They have cb prizes. Would there be an outcry because they have 2 cb prizes? Would there be an outcry if TJ won? Limiting a person's ability to win based on what happened in the past is what I'd consider unfair.

Someone got snippy at me for getting excited and mentioning that I checked the redraw raffle link several times "just in case" because I'm human too and the "did I/didn't I?" vibe is infectious. rolleyes.gif Cheers for killing my completely innocent and entirely baseless enthusiasm. Apparently prize owners should not only not be allowed to win anything, they're also not allowed to get excited about the vague possibility of winning something

People will always complain. I bet if TJ doled out a dragon to every single person on the site, someone would still find some way to whinge.

(I'd find it hilarious if TJ won - wonder what he'd do? tongue.gif)

Edited by Amazon_warrior

It is VERY disheartening indeed...but i'm not sure about removing them from the pool. i'm 50 - 50 on that. I just can't believe some people's luck, that of such SLIM chances...they still got their name pulled twice. Boggles my mind lol! [and i don't even want a prize, i want a HM >.< CB hybrid *siiigggghhhh* ]

People will always complain. I bet if TJ doled out a dragon to every single person on the site, someone would still find some way to whinge.

EggZaggly.

(although I thought that people with two prizes all traded for their second one?).

Nope--at least two people have been confirmed to have won on their own twice.

@Amazon: Nobody's calling you a horrible person for hoping you'd win again. It's only natural to be excited about the chance. Still, before you label us all joy killers, I hope you'll consider the other angle as well. For the vast majority of DC players, getting a second gen Prize is never going to be possible, much less getting a CB. This would be true even if every single prize winner randomly gifted all their offspring. In that vein, I hope you can understand without looking down on us too much why, yes, some of us do find it rather off putting that people can win twice despite already being the upper class of the upper class as far as the game's concerned.

To be completely honest, I wish there wasn't a raffle. My first raffle was in 2012 and when I first heard the idea it sounded really neat. However what happened afterward changed my view. This was the year the shimmer-scales were released and I instantly fell in love with the gorgeous sprites, then when it struck me that only a lucky few will get a cb variety, of course I felt disappointment. Especially when I learned that at first they were originally going to be released in the cave. Even still the raffle didn't bother me too much, then came the second reason why I dislike the raffle: drama. I saw so many people whining and complaining about the raffle, which I know happens every year and no matter what happens someone will always find a way to complain. So seeing that didn't make me like the raffle much. Then I experienced another side effect of the raffle, which was gloating. I'm not naming anyone in particular and this post isn't geared toward ANY specific person, but I defiantly did see prize owners who were going further than the casual "sharing and excitement" of their win. It really discouraged me to see people behave like that. Then there were other things with the raffle which I assumed would be common sense to regulate but weren't, such as people winning more than once. There are people who have played since the sites beginning and haven't won anything, yet there are people who have won multiple times? That seems very unfair to me. Lastly (I don't know if anyone cared to read this far heh) trying to trade for a low gen was a HUGE nightmare for me. I noticed it was the same people getting 2nd gens, and the "lower class" players like myself were only able to get higher gens. I didn't get my first shimmer until 6 months after their release. So from all my experiences as a whole, I in general dislike the raffle. Again this post isn't meant to offend anyone and you're all free to disagree with me about anything I've said, these are just my opinions and experiences. smile.gif

@Amazon: Nobody's calling you a horrible person for hoping you'd win again. It's only natural to be excited about the chance. Still, before you label us all joy killers, I hope you'll consider the other angle as well. For the vast majority of DC players, getting a second gen Prize is never going to be possible, much less getting a CB. This would be true even if every single prize winner randomly gifted all their offspring. In that vein, I hope you can understand without looking down on us too much why, yes, some of us do find it rather off putting that people can win twice despite already being the upper class of the upper class as far as the game's concerned.

Really? Because that was *not* the impression I got - it was more like "how dare you be excited about this? You've already *had* your regulation amount of excitement EVAR!" sleep.gif

Also, I *never* *ever* start from a position of looking down on *any*one. *AT ALL.* Though their subsequent behaviour may lead to me adjusting my opinion in either direction.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Really? Because that was *not* the impression I got - it was more like "how dare you be excited about this? You've already *had* your regulation amount of excitement EVAR!" sleep.gif

I apologize if I came off that way. I understand the feeling--I'll confess that even if I had won, if it had been anything other than a Bronze or Silver Shimmer, I'd still have some lingering disappointment and hope for another chance (which is why I suggested, should this be implemented, that people can choose between shimmer and tinsel. I'm not in favor of new prize types, but if they do happen, I hope they go the equal value ruby / sapphire / emerald route and again allow people to choose). That being said, while I can sympathize, the larger part of me would still rather see prizes go to new winners instead of previous ones.

@Kaela: just a random note, but getting prizes of any gen is really hard for any but the exceedingly rich / well known / connected players for a few months after they're first released. I have a pretty potent army of nice shinies to breed and I also couldn't get a prize (in this case, tinsel) until several months after they came out. Takes a while for numbers to increase and insanity to decrease xd.png

@Amazon: Nobody's calling you a horrible person for hoping you'd win again. It's only natural to be excited about the chance.

*cough*

AW never actually won. Just saying. So if people are to be excluded (something I would object to anyway) - what about people who got their CB through a totally freak occurrence ? How would you exclude people like AW, who got their CBs fair and square in the AP ?

Edited by fuzzbucket