Pokemonfan13

ANSWERED:Suggestions to improve the raffle

*Raises hand quietly*

As a non-winner, I still thought the raffle went quite well this year. The chances to win were completely, totally fair (and fun, might I add), there were a greater number of prizes released (which may have been based on a percentage, I don't know), and I liked the in-cave link that let you know if you were a winner or not just in case the email got lost. I also particularly liked the fact that past prizes were used instead of a whole new dragon. So, while I'd love to see even MORE prizes distributed because I'd like to see my chances get better for getting one laugh.gif, I think improvements were made this year. I definitely don't want to see the raffle go away.

ETA: In light of the last's page's conversation, just wanted to add a disclaimer that I don't think this thread is superfluous and should be closed just because I'm happy with the way things went. There are still a lot of very interesting suggestions floating around in here.

Edited by LibbyLishly

Another non-winner here. I've participated in the events of the last four years. No win. No big. The numbers don't bother me as they stand, but all the whining from those who can't accept it makes me care even less.

Ain't broke. Don't "fix" it. smile.gif

I know the recolor idea has been talked about a lot, but I still think it's a great idea. Take recolors of the Prize dragons, give them different descriptions (ex. "This egg has tinsel on it."; "This egg shimmers in the sun". etc, etc...), and throw them into the cave. The raffle Prizes would not be changed at all, the cave recolors would in essence be a different dragon and would be coded as a different breed. I don't think that would undermine the value of the Prizes, they would still be incredibly special just like every other rare alt.

Something else that could work, maybe, is replacing the raffle with a game where you earn the Prizes (a choice between a Shimmer or Tinsel). Those who finish it in X amount of time get Golds, those who finish it in Y amount of time get Silvers, those who finish in Z amount of time get Bronze. That way it's skill based and not luck based. The time limits would be kept a secret so you wouldn't know if you won until it was announced.

I know in reality nothing will change and those ideas will be shot down, but I decided to say them anyway. Meh.

I know the recolor idea has been talked about a lot, but I still think it's a great idea. Take recolors of the Prize dragons, give them different descriptions (ex. "This egg has tinsel on it."; "This egg shimmers in the sun". etc, etc...), and throw them into the cave. The raffle Prizes would not be changed at all, the cave recolors would in essence be a different dragon and would be coded as a different breed. I don't think that would undermine the value of the Prizes, they would still be incredibly special just like every other rare alt.

Something else that could work, maybe, is replacing the raffle with a game where you earn the Prizes (a choice between a Shimmer or Tinsel). Those who finish it in X amount of time get Golds, those who finish it in Y amount of time get Silvers, those who finish in Z amount of time get Bronze. That way it's skill based and not luck based. The time limits would be kept a secret so you wouldn't know if you won until it was announced.

I know in reality nothing will change and those ideas will be shot down, but I decided to say them anyway. Meh.

I love DC because it is not, in essence, a competitive game. I would not like having to compete in a game of skill to have a chance at a prize dragon. I may have a slim chance now, but I would have none then!

And I am against having the recolored sprites drop in the cave. If we must have them, then I would much rather they were consolation prizes and only available to those who made the effort to enter the raffle.

I also agree with LibbyLishly and others who feel the raffle really went pretty well this year. I think more HM prizes would have been nice, but otherwise I was pretty satisfied. I didn't win, but I didn't expect to and didn't let it ruin the fun for me. We had a great event and I am looking forward to a new influx of Tinsel and Shimmer eggs. I think doubling the number of CB prize dragons in the cave will help at least a bit with the trading issues we have seen.

Edited by purplehaze

Please stop with the "the thread should just be closed posts". They're off-topic. If TJ feels the thread has become superfluous or that he's heard enough suggestions to consider for the raffle, he'll close the thread. If you feel the thread has reached the point where it's not getting anywhere anymore, you do not have to post in it.

Then how about we start talking about how these suggestions can work, instead of saying none of them will? Because it's totally possible.

But at this rate, is anything going to improve?

~Posts moved~

Just get rid of the raffle. In my honest opinion, DC was more fun without prizes. Any proposed changes to the raffle will be shot down, more than likely due to them being 'unfair'. So that leaves keeping the raffle as it is, or getting rid of it. Surely, the amount of posts in this thread, and the closed threads that came before it a long time back, suggest that there needs to be some kind of change. But as always on DC, I doubt anything will.

I'm inclined to agree with you, sadly. Every proposed change has been shot down, and is precisely why I said what I did.

And I am against having the recolored sprites drop in the cave. If we must have them, then I would much rather they were consolation prizes and only available to those who made the effort to enter the raffle.

I also agree with LibbyLishly and others who feel the raffle really went pretty well this year. I think more HM prizes would have been nice, but otherwise I was pretty satisfied. I didn't win, but I didn't expect to and didn't let it ruin the fun for me. We had a great event and I am looking forward to a new influx of Tinsel and Shimmer eggs. I think doubling the number of CB prize dragons in the cave will help at least a bit with the trading issues we have seen.

I think participants who did not win should get something. It's right around Christmas, and the time isn't going to be moved to another part of the year. Whether it be a consolation prize or recoloured prize (non-metal colour) I don't really care.

I don't agree at all with the second paragraph. There's already preference of 2012 tinsels vs 2011 tinsels out there, and this line is rarer than that, so it costs more. And that isn't going to change, nor get rid of the stranglehold prizes and their immediate offspring have on the trade market. But that's a whole other matter.

I would just like one suggestion to be favourable for most of us, if not all. That would be nice.

~Please use the edit tool instead of double/triple posting.~

Edited by _Z_

Another non-winner here.  I've participated in the events of the last four years. No win. No big.  The numbers don't bother me as they stand, but all the whining from those who can't accept it makes me care even less.

Ain't broke.  Don't "fix" it.  smile.gif

Obviously opinions will differ, but for me, creating a dragon that only about 100 players of a userbase of thousands can have total control over kinda defeats the purpose of a game that, for the most part, is about "do what you want, collect what you will, catch anything you desire."

There are other exceptions to that rule, true, but I don't think their existence is a good reason to justify it happening even further. Especially not when 1) most of the other uncollectables (CB Holidays, Frills, other colored Snow Angels) HAVE been suggested once or twice for re-availability, but gotten shot down, whereas improved Prize distribution hasn't, and 2) when CB Prizes are exclusive in being not only exclusive, but commanding complete control over the economy. It's pretty sad when the game's rarest naturally obtainable items (CB Metals) have to be gathered in droves for a shot at a 2g of another breed. Which, for many of us, are the only ones of use for creating the lineages we want (can't turn a stair into a checker, and your ability to get certain pairings depends entirely on whether those few who can afford them choose to start such a line).

I originally came to DC because, for the most part, there wasn't an elite and everyone could get everything with enough hard work. That quickly went south, in a variety of areas, but Prizes are still the biggest thorn in my OCD collective side. At least with CB Holidays and discontinueds there's a kind of solid comfort in knowing they aren't still around to tease you, unlike the Prizes and their low-generation offspring always being dangled over your face, there and yet--far out of reach for most of us.

I think doubling the number of CB prize dragons in the cave will help at least a bit with the trading issues we have seen.

Someone else said it well, I think, that the newly doubled number of Prizes is far from a guaranteed doubling--or even half that amount--of an increase in low-gen Prizes. Every Prize produced is fighting for that ratio spot with the countless other Prizes in circulation now. So, yes, it might help a little, but I think unless the ratios are fiddled with (or even just the CB Prizes given such a boost), there won't be a really noticeable change.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Not every proposal. And every idea has its detractors.

Consolation Prize:

- To help counter the disapointment the raffle is creating

- To help cut down on the PMs to Gold / Silver / Bronze winners

- This is a GAME, so why not have a "consolation prize"? This isn't real life, so why have it mimic real life? I say go for it!

The counters to this are, "we don't need it!" and "its a raffle and you / I lost, DEAL". My counter is, who cares? Its a game, which people go to to have fun and enjoy, so why not? And ANYTHING that decreases bad feelings after a raffle is good.

Just a note: While I love Tinsels and Shimmers and am on several 2nd gen lists, I didn't even feel a bit of disappointment when I didn't win. Why? Because the odds of winning are so absurdly small as to be infinitesimal. I suggest this, not because I have hard feelings, but because I see that others do and I feel this would help with that. Its a *game*, after all!

Increase breeding rate for JUST the CB Prizes:

- Prizes breed atrociously when compared to the total number of prizes there are. If prizes breed a Shimmer or Tinsel every other breeding, well. 2nd gens will be a LOT alot.png more common! The original 5 Gold Tinsels have fewer 2nd gen Tinsel offspring in three YEARS than there are CB Golds offered in trades in any given MONTH.

- Vastly increase the breeding rate of CB Prizes, and the 2nd gens will become obtainable for just two arms and a leg. Instead of both arms, both legs, the family jewels, and your first born. Assuming you can find someone with an older Tinsel who is willing to trade for something other than a 2nd gen swap.

I have yet to see a single person counter the breeding rate, other than a CB Tinsel owner who said that they breed "fine". Well... You've heard another Tinsel owner, who's Gold Tinsel has produced exactly 1 Tinsel in the last 12 months!

Cheers!

C4.

I love DC because it is not, in essence, a competitive game. I would not like having to compete in a game of skill to have a chance at a prize dragon. I may have a slim chance now, but I would have none then!

I absolutely agree with you.

I think participants who did not win should get something.

There's no "should" about this. Just as there is no "should" about who we all give gifts to.

It's right around Christmas, and the time isn't going to be moved to another part of the year. Whether it be a consolation prize or recoloured prize (non-metal colour) I don't really care.

I don't agree at all with the second paragraph. There's already preference of 2012 tinsels vs 2011 tinsels out there, and this line is rarer than that, so it costs more. And that isn't going to change, nor get rid of the stranglehold prizes and their immediate offspring have on the trade market. But that's a whole other matter.

I hadn't noticed any particular preference for older or younger lines. But what if there is ? Why does it matter ?

I would just like one suggestion to be favourable for most of us, if not all. That would be nice.

No one suggestion will please even most of us. That's the whole point. But this raffle has worked pretty well, and I am sure TJ will have followed this thread and will be well aware of our various reservations and suggestions.

Agreed.

We had a great event and I am looking forward to a new influx of Tinsel and Shimmer eggs. I think doubling the number of CB prize dragons in the cave will help at least a bit with the trading issues we have seen.

Also agreed. My problem with the raffle was never with the raffle itself or whether or not it was fair or unfair. But with the effects it was having on the trade market. Any suggestions I made or agreed with was in hopes of improving the trade market to make the things I'm truly after be a little more affordable for me. I don't care if I ever get a cb prize. I don't need a cb prize. I played the game just fine before the raffle and can play it just fine now and never participate in another raffle ever again. My point was and still is and always will be that they affect the other parts of the game that originally had nothing to do with the raffle and distribution of prizes, namely trading. If these issues can be settled with the current suggestions (or any suggestion for that matter) then I'd be satisfied. If they can't, well then I'll just have to find a new way to play.

Edited by Saami

Agreed.

Also agreed. My problem with the raffle was never with the raffle itself or whether or not it was fair or unfair. But with the effects it was having on the trade market. Any suggestions I made or agreed with was in hopes of improving the trade market to make the things I'm truly after be a little more affordable for me. I don't care if I ever get a cb prize. I don't need a cb prize. I played the game just fine before the raffle and can play it just fine now and never participate in another raffle ever again. My point was and still is and always will be that they affect the other parts of the game that originally had nothing to do with the raffle and distribution of prizes, namely trading. If these issues can be settled with the current suggestions (or any suggestion for that matter) then I'd be satisfied. If they can't, well then I'll just have to find a new way to play.

Well said ^^ that's always been my stance as well. I have no issues with Cb prizes going to few people, I just regret that the economy rotates around 2nd gen prizes now. I'd like it to even out a bit on how much they cost, because there is no reason a 2nd gen of any dragon should cost several of the RAREST dragons you can possibly get in cave. =)

There's no "should" about this. Just as there is no "should" about who we all give gifts to.

I'm sure people "should" be able to express their opinion without having one word picked out of their post and argued against. I like the irrelevant example about people giving gifts, too.

I hadn't noticed any particular preference for older or younger lines. But what if there is ? Why does it matter ?

I have seen particular preferences towards younger lines. Isn't it obvious? They're more rare because they haven't been around and breeding for as long. It's impossible not to notice. I'm not sure this is much of a problem though.

One of the problems people keep talking about with prizes is the way they effect trading. This, in my opinion, could be helped by giving out more prizes, or making prizes breed better (though then they might flood trades for a while, which would be strange). I'd prefer just getting rid of special prize dragons and just giving out HM-style prizes in the raffle, and that would likely lessen the impact on trades also.

Edited by TheGrox

Of course it is a competitive game. You have to click the eggs in the cave and AP faster than everyone else there right? Even if it doesn't seem like it, you're still competing for the eggs.

TBH, I just really like the recolor-in-the-cave idea because it would allow everyone to play with the sprites. I think they're beautiful, but I'll never be able to make any kind of lineage with them because I'll never get a CB or even a 2nd gen. Or if by some miracle I do, it will only be one. It's especially sad to me with the Shimmers because they were suppose to be a regular in cave release.

Don't count on it. The Prizes aren't breeding true very often now, what make you think more CBs will make them breed any better (which is the only way the trade prices will go down)? It will just make it worse because there are even more of them now.

But I know, "get over it", "stop whining" etc. I'll stop now.

One of the problems people keep talking about with prizes is the way they effect trading. This, in my opinion, could be helped by giving out more prizes, or making prizes breed better (though then they might flood trades for a while, which would be strange). I'd prefer just getting rid of special prize dragons and just giving out HM-style prizes in the raffle, and that would likely lessen the impact on trades also.

Unfortunately moving the raffle to pure HM would make Prizes have an even worse impact on the market, not less of one. New winners means new, less expensive chances to get on lists every year, and more chances of winners not charging an arm and a leg. Cut out Prizes, and that "new trader effect" goes away--you're left with nothing but old players, and while it's not true for everyone, a lot of them only seem interested in 2g Prize swaps, which of course are impossible for the average player to provide.

Unless you want to neuter Prizes entirely, but I don't think that's an ideal solution by any means. I'm bummed that the chances of me creating a Silver Shimmer x Sunsong checker are close to zero, but I'd be way more bummed if I couldn't even get a nice Silver Shimmer from Sunsong stairstep on my scroll. And oh, how much more bummed would be later players who can't get a Silver Shimmer on their scroll period... I still much miss Old Pinks and Frills, I don't want to see another breed go extinct. X___x

So, with all of the above considered--I do think the better prize breeding / more prizes / both route is the way to go. Even if they bred consistently and gave Prizes 50% of the time, with so few winners in relation to the player base, I doubt they'll ever really flood the trade market. Just hopefully come down to saner prices, and come up for trading a bit more often!

I also like the idea of consolation prizes. Are they needed? No. Does every raffle need to have everyone win? No. But hey, this is a game, and we can do fun stuff that doesn't normally happen. Plus c'mon, who wouldn't love to have a pretty Black Shimmer on their scroll? *w* (Although I suppose they might be colored differently--but dlkfjdflj Black Shimmerssssssssssssss <3)

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Unfortunately moving the raffle to pure HM would make Prizes have an even worse impact on the market, not less of one. New winners means new, less expensive chances to get on lists every year, and more chances of winners not charging an arm and a leg. Cut out Prizes, and that "new trader effect" goes away--you're left with nothing but old players, and while it's not true for everyone, a lot of them only seem interested in 2g Prize swaps, which of course are impossible for the average player to provide.

Okay, I see your point. I was looking at it more from the perspective of how I wish the raffle had been done in the first place - I think it should've been purely HM all the way. Then people could've got something special they wanted, but nothing game-changing. Only a CB Holly or Alt, for example. These would have little impact on trades.

However, given that we already have prizes out there, then yes, you're right.

Not every proposal. And every idea has its detractors.

Consolation Prize:

- To help counter the disapointment the raffle is creating

- To help cut down on the PMs to Gold / Silver / Bronze winners

- This is a GAME, so why not have a "consolation prize"? This isn't real life, so why have it mimic real life? I say go for it!

The counters to this are, "we don't need it!" and "its a raffle and you / I lost, DEAL". My counter is, who cares? Its a game, which people go to to have fun and enjoy, so why not? And ANYTHING that decreases bad feelings after a raffle is good.

Just a note: While I love Tinsels and Shimmers and am on several 2nd gen lists, I didn't even feel a bit of disappointment when I didn't win. Why? Because the odds of winning are so absurdly small as to be infinitesimal. I suggest this, not because I have hard feelings, but because I see that others do and I feel this would help with that. Its a *game*, after all!

Increase breeding rate for JUST the CB Prizes:

- Prizes breed atrociously when compared to the total number of prizes there are. If prizes breed a Shimmer or Tinsel every other breeding, well. 2nd gens will be a LOT alot.png more common! The original 5 Gold Tinsels have fewer 2nd gen Tinsel offspring in three YEARS than there are CB Golds offered in trades in any given MONTH.

- Vastly increase the breeding rate of CB Prizes, and the 2nd gens will become obtainable for just two arms and a leg. Instead of both arms, both legs, the family jewels, and your first born. Assuming you can find someone with an older Tinsel who is willing to trade for something other than a 2nd gen swap.

I have yet to see a single person counter the breeding rate, other than a CB Tinsel owner who said that they breed "fine". Well... You've heard another Tinsel owner, who's Gold Tinsel has produced exactly 1 Tinsel in the last 12 months!

Cheers!

C4.

Agree with this soo soo sooo much. Yes. Perfectly stated.

I've been vocal about my support for consolation prizes, and why. I also think it makes perfect sense for the CB Prizes to breed better (has there actually been any opposition on this one? I can't imagine why). It's very very obvious, even without taking a poll of every single Prize-winner, that they don't breed true very often. That's obvious simply by how long it takes for listed-users to get a 2nd gen, for that 'line' to move at *all*. Since Prize Winners are in a very unique spot with so few dragons actually available, it makes sense that they have a better chance at breeding.

I honestly hate polls and hate to be the one suggesting it, but if we could gather up the most popular suggestions for "improving the raffle", I'd honestly like to see a poll for it. I keep reading all these posts about how nothing will ever get resolved here 'cause no one agrees and everything has been shot down, etc etc, but I've seen a good handful of suggestions that might really work well. It's easy to get all of that lost in a long thread, but seeing a poll might actually help focus the thread better, show us which suggestions we should be fine-tuning and such.

Just my 2cents.

(and just for the record, I've never won a raffle, not even an HM. And I would be *crushed* if DC just stopped doing it. I love the event itself, I love having new shinies to look at even if they aren't mine, etc.)

I kind of made my peace on how things are in DC and I tend to start guffawing when reading posts about fairness. According to what I've observed so far (and I'm generalizing here) there are 4 groups, from the smallest to the largest:

- Prize owners.

- Catchers: people that (thanks to good reflexes and/or good connections} can catch more or less everything.

- Old timers: have every old CB that you can think off. Strangely enough tend to dislike Catchers or maybe just the fact that they catch.

- Everybody else.

Prize owners have the "upper hand" all the time, Old timers have it (slightly less) from Halloween to Valentine's day, Catchers are in-between depending on how much they like old eggs.

Is that fair? No idea, that's just the way the game is and I'm not complaining.

What I whine about (and I seem to not be the only one) is what happens on the trading "market" influenced by Prizes. People that until "yesterday" seemed to be the ideal counterparts for trading 2nd gen eggs and, in consequence, collaborate on creating lineages, do not because they are keeping those eggs for eventual (unrealistic) trades with Prize owners while those same owners are getting offers of multiple metallics, first born babies etc.

In consequence I tend to agree with everybody that would want more Prizes, easier breeding, whatever helps on mitigating the Prizes-induced disruption.

Edited by _Sin_

I suppose here is the point where I just level with you and admit that I'm never recoloring the tinsels as a consolation prize. Mysfytt is open to the idea for the shimmers, but several of you, in an attempt to sell the validity of having -both- prize breeds be recolored, have stated openly that it would not make sense to have one breed recolored and not the other.

-assumes cat form, casually walks across shelf, knocking off consolation prize idea-

I suppose here is the point where I just level with you and admit that I'm never recoloring the tinsels as a consolation prize. Mysfytt is open to the idea for the shimmers, but several of you, in an attempt to sell the validity of having -both- prize breeds be recolored, have stated openly that it would not make sense to have one breed recolored and not the other.

-assumes cat form, casually walks across shelf, knocking off consolation prize idea-

Well, retire tinsels as prizes then. wink.gif

i feel that giving out a consolation prize would only be a good idea for a new species, as people would then likely start to argue again... About how they want them to be retroactive.

And as the artist you definitely should get final say on whether that's an option. smile.gif

personally, while I like both prize types I don't really see the point in re-colors for any reason, constellation prizes or new cave release because that makes it a DIFFERENT dragon and therefore has no connection with the prizes other than also being a tinsel/shimmer. Just as Gold prize is not the same as silver prize is not the same as bronze prize. If you're collecting SPRITES which is the point of the game then all it does is add a new set of sprites, it does not solve the rarity of the originals.

As a sprite collector, long lineages are fine with me. I have my sets (mostly, need a few more hatchlings) My only issue is the trade market, I have a few dragons that after years of collecting I still haven't managed to get and it would be nice if I could try and trade for them, but a rare for a rare is not a regular trade option anymore. sad.gif

I suppose here is the point where I just level with you and admit that I'm never recoloring the tinsels as a consolation prize.  Mysfytt is open to the idea for the shimmers, but several of you, in an attempt to sell the validity of having -both- prize breeds be recolored, have stated openly that it would not make sense to have one breed recolored and not the other.

Well, that's fine. The shimmers alone would be more than enough.

~Removed~

And just because you will not do it does not mean the suggested solution isn't doable, as well. cool.gif

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

i feel that giving out a consolation prize would only be a good idea for a new species, as people would then likely start to argue again... About how they want them to be retroactive.

Hey, you know? A new species sounds great, actually. ohmy.gif

No thank you. More retired breeds = do not want for any reason. Except of course the artist deciding they want it pulled which always their right. Not that I really want that to happen either, but it is the only reason I think that any sprite should be pulled from this game.

Edited: for clarity (and again for typing fail) lol

Edited by DragonLady86

I am NOT for this at all. I like that TJ brought back tinsels as prizes this year. That is the kind of 'solution' I like for the raffle.

I've said I'm not for consolation prizes, and I stand by that. I really don't like it for just whatever the next prize is, either. We get a fun event and old Christmas dragons and new Christmas dragons. I feel like this should be a pretty good consolation for those of us that don't win. We still got something from the event and that was it. And it would also just be personally weird to me to have some prizes have consolation prizes but not all.

Perhaps it would help if we also had a release around when prizes were given out, so those who don't win have something else to distract themself with cave-wise.

Hey, you know? A new species sounds great, actually.

Considering we started with tinsels, then got shimmers, I foresee a new prize next year, which I do like, and do think is fair. (It's also nice for people who may not be fans of at least one of the prizes. Different strokes for different folks.)

Considering we started with tinsels, then got shimmers, I foresee a new prize next year, which I do like, and do think is fair. (It's also nice for people who may not be fans of at least one of the prizes. Different strokes for different folks.)

Some variety would be nice, either way it goes, certainly.

I understand your stance on the consolation prizes. We can agree to disagree, there. Because for all the cons, there are pros some here definitely seem to like, as well.

A new breed will just cause the same problems really, with the added issue of it being as ridiculously scarce as the Tinsels were the first time around. Don't have a half dozen golds? Hope you like waiting two years to attempt to catch a 12th gen on the AP if you want that dragon at all.