Pokemonfan13

ANSWERED:Suggestions to improve the raffle

I know I'm like the Scrooge here, but I'm really, really hesitant about another raffle. It takes a lot of time just waiting for people to answer and etc. My worry has already been mentioned - I really don't want anymore regular releases to interrupted or moved to work around a raffle schedule. >.>

Then should things just stay as they are? unsure.gif

I don't think this thread would be here if the status quo worked for everyone. So if we can take a look at the suggestions and figure out which is the most doable, maybe, that would be a small step.

The consolation prize seems more tasteful, if the raffle won't be moved from Christmas. Because otherwise it does seem Scrooge-like or Grinchly and heightens the sense if disappointment.

What about a mini raffle with only HM prizes? Or maybe less time for confirmation? Like if I don't respond/open the email within a week it goes to the next person.

This is a really neat idea.

What about a mini raffle with only HM prizes? Or maybe less time for confirmation? Like if I don't respond/open the email within a week it goes to the next person.

How would raffle entries be earned? Would there have to be some sort of event? That would still take considerable time and effort.

Then should things just stay as they are? unsure.gif

I don't think this thread would be here if the status quo worked for everyone. So if we can take a look at the suggestions and figure out which is the most doable, maybe, that would be a small step.

I don't see that as such a bad thing. Are some people unhappy with the way things are now? Yes. Will you be able to find a solution that will make everyone happy? No. Can we make more people happy than are now? Who knows? Not likely. There will just be different things to complain about.

Edited by purplehaze

I know I'm like the Scrooge here, but I'm really, really hesitant about another raffle. It takes a lot of time just waiting for people to answer and etc. My worry has already been mentioned - I really don't want anymore regular releases to interrupted or moved to work around a raffle schedule. >.>

This, definitely this. For those of us that didn't win a prize, January is a great big disappointment with absolutely no new dragons do to the raffle. There's no reason to turn June into a boring dead month too.

Edited by BlindWolf

Two things I would like to mention.

First, I don't really like the idea of a consolation prize. While I understand the point in them, it seems to take away from the idea of prizes in general. The whole idea behind the prizes is for them to be just that- prizes. If everyone gets one, even a dull version of one, then it really isn't a prize so much as a service to the playership. That doesn't sit well with the whole point of the raffle.

Second, as far as secondary major raffles go, the only way to save time and effort would be to have TJ just draw random numbers. There would be no major event, no true effort involved. He could simply give everyone whose scroll is still active a number and do random number drawings. That'd be the simplest and easiest way of doing any other raffles. Of course, I already know what a vast majority of people would say to this but it is what it is.

Two things I would like to mention.

First, I don't really like the idea of a consolation prize. While I understand the point in them, it seems to take away from the idea of prizes in general. The whole idea behind the prizes is for them to be just that- prizes. If everyone gets one, even a dull version of one, then it really isn't a prize so much as a service to the playership. That doesn't sit well with the whole point of the raffle.

Second, as far as secondary major raffles go, the only way to save time and effort would be to have TJ just draw random numbers. There would be no major event, no true effort involved. He could simply give everyone whose scroll is still active a number and do random number drawings. That'd be the simplest and easiest way of doing any other raffles. Of course, I already know what a vast majority of people would say to this but it is what it is.

or instead of figuring out who's 'active" maybe something like the "beat the heat" badge. If you randomly log in during a certain period of time you get entered. though I was on my scroll that day, but didn't get it because of never logging out, so that could cause problems I suppose

I need to quote definitions here, sorry:

6 a : marked by impartiality and : free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism

the dc raffle fully qualified this year. But fairness is not the point of this thread, and never has been. Its about small odds, and people complaining about which they'd like to acquire but can't.

I totally don't agree that the season the raffle is held in demands something beyond the badge we all earned to be given out - there are loads of xmas/holiday lotteries out there that have those 1 in a million chance... Which dc definitely is not, its far above that.

Edited by whitebaron

The point of this thread is still getting lost. Might as well leave things the way they are instead of introducing more reasons for people to complain.

A contest you don't really do anything to enter. Nobody ~deserves~ to win more than anybody else. It's not like the other people who entered and won nothing did any less than those who did.

So, no. I do not see. It is not fair. People are going to continue to point that out.

But maybe, since nobody can seem to agree, we should just keep things as they are. It does not appear as though change will occur anyhow, since we can't all even reach a consensus upon one solution.

Fairness is not in the outcome. It's in the odds. We all had the SAME odds. That is why it is fair in the most cosmically random sort of way.

The point of this thread is still getting lost. Might as well leave things the way they are instead of introducing more reasons for people to complain.

This.

What is the point of suggesting any changes if they're just going to be shot down or create more reasons for users to complain?

Just leave it the way it is, in that case.

I don't see that as such a bad thing. Are some people unhappy with the way things are now? Yes. Will you be able to find a solution that will make everyone happy? No. Can we make more people happy than are now? Who knows? Not likely. There will just be different things to complain about.

Some do. But it's already apparent that the point has been lost.

So then why not close this thread and move on?

When it occurs right on the heels of Christmas, which is about generousity and giving, imo it's necessary.

It's easy to say "suck it up and keep trying next year or the year after that". But it's a bitter disappointment to a lot of folks.

Lol @ the idea that dull-hued sprites of the prizes will diminish the worth or special-ness of the prizes. I really don't think so. Primarily because.. they'd be so common? So I am still all-for the consolation prize.

Please stop with the "the thread should just be closed posts". They're off-topic. If TJ feels the thread has become superfluous or that he's heard enough suggestions to consider for the raffle, he'll close the thread. If you feel the thread has reached the point where it's not getting anywhere anymore, you do not have to post in it.

You aren't like Scrooge. I agree with you. I LOVE the two a month releases and would hate to see them disrupted further. Rather that - more pretties to collect - than more time taken out of the game to accommodate people who want even more chances to - lose. Because don't forget - almost everyone WILL lose. That's the point of a raffle. There are limited chances to win.

And the summer would be a nightmare - so many people on vacation in places with no internet; imagine the complaints then.

I have no reason to disbelieve TJ's statement that the odds are fair. I said they should be 1% - industry standard. I haven't seen anything that suggested they weren't. I didn't win. I have won ONE raffle in my 69 years of life, and I have entered hundreds - maybe thousands. That's the way with games of chance. No-one who can't bear to lose has to enter.

Sure, mirjana - Christmas is about generosity. And we all had EVERY chance to get ourselves a pretty Solstice dragon or two. That was our gift from TJ. We also got to play a delightfully silly game which was fun, and we effectively bought a raffle ticket with it. And at least 90% of us lost. Big deal. It is not NECESSARY to be given gifts at all. It's nice - but there is no obligation. For me, Christmas is all about the warm and fuzzy of GIVING - not of getting. TJ gave us quite a lot here and so did all the people who worked on the game and the spriting. Let's thank them instead of complaining. If there IS away to make more people happy - fine - but I don't see how a second chance to lose out every year is going to achieve that.

I think previous winners shouldn't be eligible to win again. At least, not a prize dragon. If they've won previously, they should at most get an honorable mention.

Or to make it fair to them, take them out of the eligibility pool for a couple years and then readd them to the list, if they want.

After all, it's not their fault they won, but it would be unfair if they won more than once in a row. Several of the winners have even come forward saying they wouldn't WANT to win again, so there's that too. Let someone new go through the hassle.

Edited by zaverxi

I think previous winners shouldn't be eligible to win again. At least, not a prize dragon. If they've won previously, they should at most get an honorable mention.

Or to make it fair to them, take them out of the eligibility pool for a couple years.

After all, it's not their fault they won, but it would be unfair if they won more than once in a row. Several of the winners have even come forward saying they wouldn't WANT to win again, so there's that too. Let someone new go through the hassle.

I'm against that

if they luck out once good for them it does not mean they should be denied the same right to enter as everyone else

I'm against that

if they luck out once good for them it does not mean they should be denied the same right to enter as everyone else

I do agree.

And if someone doesn't want to win twice- they don't HAVE to enter the raffle !

Edited by fuzzbucket

I think the chances of someone winning twice is low enough that it is not a major issue. And if they are that lucky then they should consider entering one of the mega-million lotteries! wink.gif

Or to make it fair to them, take them out of the eligibility pool for a couple years and then readd them to the list, if they want.

...and where does that leave me, hmmm? wink.gif

I think the past winners can't win thing gets odd/complicated. Like, are Tinsel winners ineligible to win Shimmers? Can HM winners win prizes but not the HM again? Seems odd. I also agree that the chances of someone winning twice is low enough that its not a major concern.

Just get rid of the raffle. In my honest opinion, DC was more fun without prizes. Any proposed changes to the raffle will be shot down, more than likely due to them being 'unfair'. So that leaves keeping the raffle as it is, or getting rid of it. Surely, the amount of posts in this thread, and the closed threads that came before it a long time back, suggest that there needs to be some kind of change. But as always on DC, I doubt anything will.

...and where does that leave me, hmmm? wink.gif

Safe enough ! You were not a winner. biggrin.gif

Please stop with the "the thread should just be closed posts". They're off-topic. If TJ feels the thread has become superfluous or that he's heard enough suggestions to consider for the raffle, he'll close the thread. If you feel the thread has reached the point where it's not getting anywhere anymore, you do not have to post in it.

I never said to close the thread. I said if the suggestions aren't going to be considered except to why they couldn't! possibly! work!, then why not leave everything the same. But okay.

Edited by Saami

Just get rid of the raffle. In my honest opinion, DC was more fun without prizes. Any proposed changes to the raffle will be shot down, more than likely due to them being 'unfair'. So that leaves keeping the raffle as it is, or getting rid of it. Surely, the amount of posts in this thread, and the closed threads that came before it a long time back, suggest that there needs to be some kind of change. But as always on DC, I doubt anything will.

So, if everyone can't get what they want then no one should? I think if you started a thread about weather or not you should just get rid of the raffle you would have quite a few people in opposition. As long as the raffle is running we all have a chance of winning something cool and semi-unique, get rid of the raffle and we never have that chance.

So, if everyone can't get what they want then no one should? I think if you started a thread about weather or not you should just get rid of the raffle you would have quite a few people in opposition. As long as the raffle is running we all have a chance of winning something cool and semi-unique, get rid of the raffle and we never have that chance.

*whether dry.gif

That is only my opinion. We have the chance of getting other 'cool and semi-unique' things anyway - breed a unique lineage, create a unique scroll full of uniquely-named and described dragons, trade for a 2nd gen from a spriter's alt...

Edited by TheGrox