Pokemonfan13

ANSWERED:Suggestions to improve the raffle

Was thinking the egg as I read though.

As the artist mentioned it, one could hope that they had it in mind when doing the sprite..??

Angelic, that's why I suggested an as subtle as possible change to the fur color, instead of changing the entire tone of the sprite by dulling the gold/silver/bronze.

But I do like an addition of a "jewel" egg to the winners' dragons if Mysfytt/TJ are willing to do it. Colored the same as the dragon's own egg so as to not change the color scheme of the dragon.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Artist: Marrionetta

Use On Site: Yes Edit for in order to fit on site (resizing, color cutting, etc): I'll do it

Recolor for use on site (just because, shinies, etc): Hate shinies, if TJ wants colors changed I'll change them

So is re-coloration a viable idea, considering?

Angelic, that's why I suggested an as subtle as possible change to the fur color, instead of changing the entire tone of the sprite by dulling the gold/silver/bronze.

But I do like an addition of a "jewel" egg to the winners' dragons if Mysfytt/TJ are willing to do it.  Colored the same as the dragon's own egg so as to not change the color scheme of the dragon.

I understand ^^ I would certainly prefer a mane color change to a body color change, haha. Still, would rather the addition or removal of stuff rather than any recolor. X3

And that would be wicked! I know when I first read the description I actually rechecked the sprite to see if it had one, haha. So the adding of one would be excellent. smile.gif

Artist: Marrionetta

Use On Site: Yes Edit for in order to fit on site (resizing, color cutting, etc): I'll do it

Recolor for use on site (just because, shinies, etc): Hate shinies, if TJ wants colors changed I'll change them

So is re-coloration a viable idea, considering?

The general idea right now is simply for wreath removal, which would fit under the edit section instead--which she has agreed to. ^^

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Could it be that she didn't give the Shimmers an egg initially because of the 'no props' rule?

It could be, as they were originally meant to be a regular release. However, considering the Tinsels have wreathes--despite being released well after the no props rule was set in stone--I think it's not too hard to believe that TJ'd allow an exception for the Shimmers as well. smile.gif

I am glad ADP and I could knock our brains together and get some great idea out with you PF13 <3 Lets hope some other interesting ideas/compromises/suggestions come out.

Thank you for the idea! <3

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I am glad ADP and I could knock our brains together and get some great idea out with you PF13 <3 Lets hope some other interesting ideas/compromises/suggestions come out.

I find the best ideas come from bouncing things between people. <3 Thanks a bunch for your and angelic's input.

And I agree, the egg isn't much more of a prop than the tinsel's wreath.

#1: Increase the number of prize dragons given in the raffle.

I have no problems with this. DC has a large player base and the current prize numbers are a drop in a drop in the ocean.

#2: Have more than one raffle in a year.

I could go for this - as others have noted, it's a long time between Valentine's and Halloween and I'd love some sort of fun summer event.

#3: Release a dully colored variant of the prize dragons.

Don't mind this, but only as a "participation prize" for future raffles because the other methods of general release seem so fraught with complications. Seems to me that the people who feel worst about all this are the ones who entered the raffle in good faith, got all excited about prizes and whatnot, and then had their hopes and dreams crushed when they didn't beat those crazy odds. Saying "oh but you got a badge!" doesn't cut it - you can't breed a badge. This isn't BadgeCave, it's DragonCave. People who didn't enter, well, to me they're like people who missed a Holiday drop - you weren't there, you didn't participate in the event, you don't get the CBs. Not sure I agree with HM winners getting both an HM prize and a participation prize, but maybe they get to choose a participation prize instead if they want it? Or a copper variant? Or something? Regarding handing out the eggs, I imagine it could be a claim link appearing at the top of scrolls at the same time as the winning eggs are handed out. Click the link, get the egg. Claim links should expire after 7 days (the same time as it takes an egg to die).

I feel there are many issues with a general cave release and some of those haven't even been brought up yet. By the time the release rules have been contorted into something everyone approves of, you've effectively released a completely different breed of dragon and it probably won't have been worth all the faffing and code-knotting to make it happen in the first place.

#4: Make CB prize dragons multiclutch prize eggs.

I think if #1, #3 as outlined above and maybe #2 were implemented this would be a non-issue. Giving it a thumbs-down because I think there are better ways to deal with the problem.

#5: Add retired prizes to the list of HM prizes.

Thumbs up from me. I think the HMs need more choice and it'll stop CBs of older prizes sliding into obscurity as owners quit. I got no problem with Shimmers appearing as HM prizes in a couple of years, in fact I think it'd be cool.

#6: Ensure that newly released prize dragons only produce prize eggs for the first x months

Not really keen on this one - people seem to like collecting "kin" of prizes almost as much as they like getting the prize sprite, especially lineage makers.

#7: Add retired prizes to the cave as rares.

No to this, for the reasons I gave under #3 for a general cave release.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I'm not sure why any kind of change of the sprite would be necessary or wanted. Everyone will know which are the original Tinsels by their birthdate, the same way that everyone knows which are the original CB Vampires by their birthdate.

I favor a combination of 1 and 7 (with minor sprite changes) because it seems like a reasonable compromise. From what I've seen, the goals of any raffle alterations are these, in order of priority: to alleviate pressure on the winners; to maintain the exclusivity of prize dragons; to ensure a decent population of CB prizes on the scrolls of active members; and to ease the sting for non-winners (which would also help accomplish the first goal).

If not 1 and 7, I prefer 1+3+5 (which would all aid in achieving multiple stated goals), and possibly 6 as another pressure alleviation tactic.

I'm not sure why any kind of change of the sprite would be necessary or wanted.

I think it would be less of a compromise for original prize winners. I don't have a strong preference either way, though.

Edited by Kishing

I'm not sure why any kind of change of the sprite would be necessary or wanted. Everyone will know which are the original Tinsels by their birthdate, the same way that everyone knows which are the original CB Vampires by their birthdate.

True that one will know by the date, raindear.

But if this were to be possible, it's a visual recognition/acknowledgement of the originals (and their lines?) that will catch the eye well before you start reading.

Looking from another angle, their idea would also be effective if applied to the lineage tiles. One glance down the lineage and you could see that it developed from an original.

5, 10 years down the line more of the few remaining owners will have left DC and the names disappeared. A quick look and you wouldn't have to be a Tinsel expert to notice an original line.

Edited by Shamiir

I greatly favour 1,3 and 5;

the reasons have all been stated before.

With #3 I would favour either a mass drop for 1-2 days and then a permanent addition as rares (but perhaps a bit more frequent then Golds or Silvers) or as a participation price for every raffle participant.

I'm indifferent about #5 and #2, although the argument that we should not take away too much time for regular releases is valid in my eyes, so perhaps really tie a second raffle in summer to a regular cave release. Regular releases ar after all if not so exciting as special releases rather important for many players, be they breeders/lineage builders or sprite collectors.

edit to say that #7 is great, too, especially if #3 is not to be had.

Edited by Varnayrah

Visuals are a lot quicker to check then birth dates. I certainly don't remember the original Tinsel creation date off hand, and wouldn't be motivated enough to check. Plus, from what I've seen, people are a lot more concerned about collecting every sprite then about collecting every dragon with a unique creation date as their only proof of uniqueness.

Visuals are a lot quicker to check then birth dates. I certainly don't remember the original Tinsel creation date off hand, and wouldn't be motivated enough to check. Plus, from what I've seen, people are a lot more concerned about collecting every sprite then about collecting every dragon with a unique creation date as their only proof of uniqueness.

If you don't care enough to check, you don't care enough that it matters to you... xd.png

I don't want anything to happen that cuts down on regular releases, by the way...

If you don't care enough to check, you don't care enough that it matters to you... xd.png

I don't want anything to happen that cuts down on regular releases, by the way...

I'm just saying that a slightly different sprite would probably make the originals a lot more valuable to the general population then their only distinguishing feature being their birthdate wink.gif

I'm just saying that a slightly different sprite would probably make the originals a lot more valuable to the general population then their only distinguishing feature being their birthdate wink.gif

I know - just that all these people who are so keen on the originals' 2nd gens would surely want to check lineage... so your posting that you "wouldn't be motivated enough to check" amused me ! It did also kind of suggest that this has never actually been as much of an issue as the noisy posts suggest...

I like #3 as a participation prize. Everyone gets the dull version. It wouldn't make sense if the HM winners get two dragons and the other winners get 1, so everyone should have one if they participated.

Suggestion #1:

Increase the number of prize dragons given in the raffle.

- I like all the ideas under this, and hope it's implemented irregardless of any other ideas. The 1% I think is the best I've heard.

Suggestion #2:

Have more than one raffle in a year.

- I'm indifferent on this one. It's nice, but I like #1 and #3 better.

Suggestion #3:

- I like this one in all versions, with my favorite color option being "coal". Coal is something you mine from the earth just like Gold, Silver, and the metals used to make Bronze, it's also useful, and fits with the season. And we need more dark colored dragons.

- Another color is Rust.

Suggestion #4:

Make CB prize dragons multiclutch prize eggs. It would make finding a 2nd gen prize in the AP not inconceivable and would help spread around low gen prizes.

- I do not like this option, as it'd almost certainly result from some people not breeding so they can better control their dragon's eggs.

- I also think the above options would solve the problem much better.

Suggestion #5:

Add retired prizes to the list of HM prizes.

- I think this should be done, regardless. Because otherwise, Tinsels will vanish in CB variety in the pretty metalic colors. And if a dull color is never released of them (which it probably won't be) the sprite would vanish entirely in time, in the low gen versions.

Suggestion #6:

Ensure that newly released prize dragons only produce prize eggs for the first x months, allowing them to spread more quickly.

- I'm not against, but it doesn't really solve the big issues.

Suggestion #7:

Add retired prizes to the cave as rares.

- I really like this idea, too. And solves the problem of tinsels disappearing. however, would the Tinsels spriter go for it?

I think the raffles are fine just the way they are. Raffles are like the lottery....you may or may not win. It's a game of chance.

However, of the suggested options, I would choose:

Suggestion #4:

Make CB prize dragons multiclutch prize eggs. It would make finding a 2nd gen prize in the AP not inconceivable and would help spread around low gen prizes.

Suggestion #6:

Ensure that newly released prize dragons only produce prize eggs for the first x months, allowing them to spread more quickly.

These options give non-winners a better chance of getting offspring from the AP.

Here're my thoughts on this:

Suggestion #1: Increase the number of prize dragons given in the raffle.

Definitely in favor. It'd be nice to have the prizes issued proportional to the user base.

Suggestion #2: Have more than one raffle in a year.

I'm not a huge fan of the raffles in the first place, so I'm kind of iffy on this one.

Suggestion #3: Release a dully colored variant of the prize dragons.

I really like this. Particularly the 'coal' idea. I'd most like the option of a participation prize, whereby everyone who took part in the event would get one, and then making them rare in the cave. Maybe have them appear seasonally?

Suggestion #4: Make CB prize dragons multiclutch prize eggs.

I don't think this'll help a whole lot... I mean, it does get more eggs in circulation, but it might also make people less willing to breed in the first place...

Suggestion #5: Add retired prizes to the list of HM prizes.

Don't know why this hasn't been done yet. People who won the prizes get a year or two of exclusivity, and even if every single HM winner took some color of prize dragon, they'd still be incredibly rare in CB form.

Suggestion #6: Ensure that newly released prize dragons only produce prize eggs for the first x months, allowing them to spread more quickly.

This could be good if combined with 5. Say, people with the prize dragons get a year where their prize dragon is exclusive, and will always produce more prize dragons. Gives them, what, 50 or so prize eggs that they can trade for anything they want?

Suggestion #7: Add retired prizes to the cave as rares.

Indifferent. I'm not a huge fan of it, because it does remove a bit of the 'specialness' of the prize dragon.

Seems like changing the sprite for 7 basically makes it 3?

Removing wreathes or adding a shiny egg =/= totally recoloring the sprite. With the former, I can still create a Bronze Tinsel or Silver Shimmer lineage of my own without it looking radically different from how it ought to look. With the latter, my desire to create those lineages is still totally unsatisfied.

Hello, world, thread, mods, everyone. I am the owner of Darkrose (code 1337), a 2010 CB bronze tinsel. I say what I say because I've thought about it, not because I'm a sore loser.

My preference would be abolish all raffles. It seems to me that a very core feature of Dragon Cave is everyone having the same opportunity, as close as we can make it, as much as we are able. We can't control for things like internet connection speeds or the players' free time, but everything else was equal for everyone. Even though raffles (and contests) start off as being equal opportunity for everyone, the end result is very far from that, and the inequality is huge. That's why I still prefer no raffle to an HM-only raffle. The HM-only raffle would still produce CB hybrid/alt owners.

I think prize dragons should be released into the cave for everyone to have, including introducing CB tinsels into the cave. I'm not proposing that DC has fewer nice things, but that the nice things are available to everyone.

As to special, more valuable versions of a dragon: they are still prizes, and they are still highly sought-after. Of course there can be rarer and more common colorings, but every coloring ought to be available to everyone. If we must distinguish between "winners" and "everyone else", I like this better than everyone else getting nothing.

I understand that in real life, people aren't all winners, nor are people all equal. But as far as just DC, I hope that just within this online game, we can make everyone a winner.

---

Now on to the suggestions. If we must have raffles, then ---

Suggestion #1:

Increase the number of prize dragons given in the raffle.

Yes. The more inclusive, the better.

Suggestion #2:

Have more than one raffle in a year.

Yes. Same reason as above.

Suggestion #3:

Release a dully colored variant of the prize dragons.

Yes. My favorite is the consolation prize suggestion (3), so that winners have an alternate coloring of the same dragon, instead of in addition to it. That way, every person who participated gets something special. In this case, there is no honorable mention (although I like to see it as everyone who didn't win is an honorable mention).

Suggestion #4:

Yes. When trading was implemented, there were many people who resisted, myself among them, because it effectively turned a single-player game into a multiplayer one. It was said that trading would be optional, but especially after prize dragons, some goals become impossible without trading. I still believe that trading should be de facto optional.

Suggestion #5:

Add retired prizes to the list of HM prizes.

Sure, although the method of doing it sounds complicated also. It sounds like three tiers of prizes: current, recent, and free-for-all. I'd prefer them to simply be released in the cave (suggestion 7). But knowing they'll eventually be in the cave one day is fine too.

Also:

Without this the CB tinsel [and future retired prizes] winners will eventually all go inactive and new 2nd gens of the retired prizes will be extinct.

Not likely! I intend to be active as long as I live, which I intend to be forever. wink.gif

Suggestion #6:

Eh. Well, I wouldn't mind if it were implemented, although my suspension of disbelief is stretching. It breeds its own species for X time, and then suddenly it discovers it could breed other things too! And if the prize dragon is male, he makes his female mate forget that she can breed anything other than prize dragons! xd.png

Suggestion #7:

Add retired prizes to the cave as rares.

I feel that the part about modifying public releases better fits with suggestion 3. Yes to prizes being released in the cave, but no to them being different versions. I think everyone should be able to get all versions.

^This. Also if the prizes are being released X years before the cave release, won't they be pretty well known?

I'm not sure suggestion #7 would end any drama, nice as it might be for me, and any number of other people, especially if there's a sprite change for cave release and the 'prize' variation breeds true. That seems like a whole new can of worms in the future.

If it's going to be released into the cave as a rare, then make it the same sprite, if it's not some variation of #3.

Suggestion #1:

seems like an all-around win. With more winners, we keep the flow of the dragon in question more consistent.

Suggestion #2:

I'd certainly prefer to have more than 1 chance per year.

Suggestion #3:

The consolation prize without a limit completely wins with me. Dull yellow, dull white and dull Brown (for Gold, Silver & Bronze respectively) would work.

Suggestion #4:

I'd say it would be worth it. We'd at least have a shot in the AP each week.

Suggestion #5:

Totally.

Suggestion #6:

If this were to be spun in with #4, we'd be guaranteed to find prize eggs in the AP...at which point we would most definitely have 90+ people in the AP at any given time, and thus create a major lag, but it would probably be worth it.

Suggestion #7:

I'd say suggestion 3 works better in my book.