Pokemonfan13

ANSWERED:Suggestions to improve the raffle

I know it sounds weird, but the idea of not winning anything doesn't bother me as much as the idea of "Everyone else but the 160 people is not getting anything for participating".

Releasing the dragons in the cave would lessen the value of the prize dragons significally, what in turn would lead to a more relaxed situation on the market (meaning, prize owners could no longer hold the monopoly of the 2nd gens and mark up the prices at will, and on the others side, less prize owners would be bothered by countless PMs and breeding demands. True, not many owners would like that.)

On the other side, a so called "Condolation price" would be nice too. Something like "Nice that you participated".

Just an example, on CS you got a set of pets if you had been online a special day and participated in the raffle of certain Real-Money Items.

If everyone who would get to the required level/ or whatever is required to enter a ticket to the raffle, got a special dragon, then everyone would be at least not as ... dissapointed.

On another note, I'd love to set the limits of participation higher.

I mean....

It sounds mean probably, and the raffle should be fair and all that, but the level 25 needed for taking part in the raffle was a bit easy this year.

A bit too easy.

That suggestion wasn't TJ's, it was mine. And not that good anyway because the cave doesn't discern between CB and lineaged dragons in the first place.

Regarding consolation prizes - would it be a bad thing if every player who participated in the event (and reached the intended goal) would get an HM, with two of the HM prize options being the coal version of recent prize dragons? Sure, a couple of people might still chose CB golds, but most probably would go for the coals.

And, yes, the ratios for prize dragons look like they need to get tweaked somewhat.

In the German lottery (Lotto), there's not just the main winner, but a huge number of small and medium prizes are given out, too.

The lottery over here is much the same, tbh. There's a huge winner of several millions of dollars, but also tons and tons of small and medium cash prizes are given out and distributed, too.

And actually with things like the Heart & Stroke lottery and other such lotteries set up by charities, it's even more apparent. There isn't just 'one big prize' and that's it.

Maybe that's an American thing? Idk. But a 'fair' lottery or raffle in my mind has much more than a main prize.

So.. multi-clutching seems an excellent idea to me. As does releasing a coal or 'dull' HM prize to those who did not win, either in the cave or through their e-mail in a similar format to how the winners collect their prizes.

Basically: making it fair and fun and enjoyable for everyone. Because it's right at a special time of year where everyone should be happy, especially in a game they enjoy. Not disappointed.

the answers given did not really answer the question i wanted to ask: why do you need low gen prizes for lineages, and can't be bothered to just take something more affordable? There are so many nice dragons out there, many of them even blockers, and everyone focusses on metals, prizes and maybe hollies.

In any collectible game, in order to stay interesting, there will be rarer items, and the almost impossible to gets. Why is it DC players think that in order to stay interesting, the game MUST give you access to everything easily?

--eta

@mirjana:just looked at heart&stroke, they calculate odds at 1:20 to get any prize. typically, those calculations are a bit "optimistic", but even given that, thy are at only 5% winners. Yes, its more than what DC has, but definitely by those orders of magnitude you all expect them to be - and DC has only main prize winners.

Edited by whitebaron

I know it sounds weird, but the idea of not winning anything doesn't bother me as much as the idea of "Everyone else but the 160 people is not getting anything for participating".

Releasing the dragons in the cave would lessen the value of the prize dragons significally, what in turn would lead to a more relaxed situation on the market (meaning, prize owners could no longer hold the monopoly of the 2nd gens and mark up the prices at will, and on the others side, less prize owners would be bothered by countless PMs and breeding demands. True, not many owners would like that.)

On the other side, a so called "Condolation price" would be nice too. Something like "Nice that you participated".

Just an example, on CS you got a set of pets if you had been online a special day and participated in the raffle of certain Real-Money Items.

If everyone who would get to the required level/ or whatever is required to enter a ticket to the raffle, got a special dragon, then everyone would be at least not as ... dissapointed.

On another note, I'd love to set the limits of participation higher.

I mean....

It sounds mean probably, and the raffle should be fair and all that, but the level 25 needed for taking part in the raffle was a bit easy this year.

A bit too easy.

Agreed. And a more fair and relaxed trading atmosphere would be a great side-effect of this suggestion, too. CB prize owners would also be able to breathe a bit easier.

That is an excellent suggestion. Tbh, anyone who bothered getting to level 50 should have either been entered twice or given a dragon (not necessarily a 'prize' dragon!) for participating more than the required level.

Which I have to agree was quite easy.

the answers given did not really answer the question i wanted to ask: why do you need low gen prizes for lineages, and can't be bothered to just take something more affordable? There are so many nice dragons out there, many of them even blockers, and everyone focusses on metals, prizes and maybe hollies.

In any collectible game, in order to stay interesting, there will be rarer items, and the almost impossible to gets. Why is it DC players think that in order to stay interesting, the game MUST give you access to everything easily?

--eta

@mirjana:just looked at heart&stroke, they calculate odds at 1:20 to get any prize. typically, those calculations are a bit "optimistic", but even given that, thy are at only 5% winners. Yes, its more than what DC has, but definitely by those orders of magnitude you all expect them to be - and DC has only main prize winners.

True, we can make lineages with other dragons. Many people make lineages with them. I have made several and am still working on others as well. But I LOVE the shimmer sprite. I want to be able to make wonderful lineages with them. I take plenty of blockers, and other affordable dragons, without considering it be a bother either.

But as a collection game where a large part of it is breeding, why shouldn't we want the chance to make the lineages we want with prizes as well as blockers? I'm not asking for a CB prize. I'm not even asking for a 2nd gen. I'd be completely happy with a 3rd or 4th gen of the breed combo I really, really like. But it's impossible to get.

For many, it's impossible because the price is too high. BUt others, like I've seen Thuban post, they absolutely refuse to breed the desired combo. How else are we achieve some of our goals if there are not more in the breeding pool for us to have access to?

THe lottery is something you take chances to enter, yes. There are smaller prizes, but they are still a small amount of the participating group, yes. But why does a GAME that we play to get away from the stresses of real life have to be the same? What could it hurt to have a participation prize for anyone that hits the requirement to enter the raffle? It's not devaluing the CB prizes, it's not hurting anyone. If you don't like the participation prize i'm sure you can turn it down, kill it, release it, whatever you want to do.

*shrug* I don't know lol...i just think it's silly to keep comparing a pixel game to real life and assuming it has to be just as unfair, stressful, and disappointing as a lottery in real life is =)

--eta

This. ^ *clicks the imaginary "Like" button*

I know that a lot of people *want* to have nice even-gens with Prizes in the base (including me!), but even-gens are becoming more popular, and you can catch or trade for 3rd and 4th-EGs and go from there. As far as 2nd-gens, those are just always going to be hard to come by, because they're the result of having any kind of special Prize, and I think they *should* be hard to come by. I do agree that it might be nice to have a better breeding rate for Prize dragons and their 2nd-gen offspring, just to help keep their owners from getting backed up and overwhelmed when their dragon won't cooperate for a few months on end, and to help nudge the market value of the 2nd-gens back down. But we have a lot more Prize dragons now, which should help with that as well.

Some of these suggestions, though, I really don't see a need for:

A special dragon for every player, at the same time? We all get a gorgeous Christmas dragon, every year -- 2 of them, CBs.

A special version of the Prize dragon? That's the privilege of being the spriter.

A special *something* for participating in the raffle event? That would be the Snow Fort! Not only did you complete the "easy" task (hint: it's not *supposed* to be a serious challenge to weed people out, it's just a requirement for entering the raffle), but we all got our own fort, with tons of accessories, to play around with for a week before it was finally frozen and is now on our scrolls.

It's not fair? It's a raffle. No advantage for age, site participation, speed-clicking, or anything else, just one entry per player. Names chosen randomly. A generous amount of winners. (The only number that seemed low to me was the HMs, compared to the placing winners. I'm used to HMs in any contest being the same as or more than the total of third place prizes, that's all.)

And regarding the above quote "Tbh, anyone who bothered getting to level 50 should have either been entered twice or given a dragon (not necessarily a 'prize' dragon!) for participating more than the required level." -- it was a *game.* It was created for *us* to have fun with. We weren't doing something useful for TJ et al. by playing "more than the required level!" We were all told that we didn't have to go past 25 to be entered. Anything beyond that was a present to us, so we could play some more! Why would we deserve extra entries for choosing to play with the gift DC gave us?

I also totally agree that ALL the dragons deserve some love and admiration, not just the shiny ones!

Can anyone explain to me, why exactly ALL people seem to need low gen prize dragons as their only option to build nice lineages going into the future? (or 2g hollies)

2nd gen's give a person the best options for good lineage building. I adore even-gens, but for tinsels, shimmers, metallics, but I had to cross over and start carrying spirals and stairs in order to get decent trades going, because there are people who don't like even-gens (and it's basically impossible to trade messy lineages for good stuff). With a 2nd gen a breeder (who is not fortunate enough to have the ideal cb prize) has the ability to do all 3 lineage types on an as needed basis. Once you get to 3rd gens then your only option is to go with what the breeder had planned which is not necessarily what you might have wanted.

That is an excellent suggestion. Tbh, anyone who bothered getting to level 50 should have either been entered twice or given a dragon (not necessarily a 'prize' dragon!) for participating more than the required level.

Which I have to agree was quite easy.

Why should it be more difficult to participete in the raffle?! I do not see why people should be forced to spend more time in front of their computers for the insane low chance to actually win something. We should better not forget what kind of holiday Christmas is. I am sure that most people have more important things to do - like spending time with family and friends.

Excluding people by making it harder to participate in the raffle sounds selfish to me. Getting a ticket should be easy and fair for everybody.

*shrug* I don't know lol...i just think it's silly to keep comparing a pixel game to real life and assuming it has to be just as unfair, stressful, and disappointing as a lottery in real life is =)

If the raffle would please anyone, there'd be no reason for there to be one at all. IF TJ would want to give something to everyone, he would have done so. It also takes out any excitement if everyone wins... boring to boot.

Besides: I have 10 eg lowgen shimmers that follow a nice pattern, and some more. that don't, but are still even gen. I got gifted 3 of them (one 3g by hellen), and for those i did pay for, the problem was not so much the pricetag, but the availability for breeding.

@wrathzephyr: so it basically boils down to: with a 2g prize, its better trade value. Well, if the 2gs get cheaper, then 3gs are worthless. You can't expect to have only one price go down. And from what I have seen, most people care more about the pricetag than anything, when it comes to prizes. Almost every trade you see asks for cb metals or even lower gen swaps, to further their trading opportunities. I do not play this kind of game. And tell you something - I am content with no CB prize.

Thiiiiiiiis, thank you. If anything, it should be much more relaxed and fair, yes?

Since this is where we come to get away from real life. Why must it carry over into the game and sour it?

I have 16 CBs of every single common breed, and in fact, almost every single breed, period. Many of the commons and blockers I have a lot more of. I do, indeed, breed many common or blocker lineages. Here are just a few:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/a3FmK

http://dragcave.net/lineage/WUu5M

http://dragcave.net/lineage/YN3c2

http://dragcave.net/lineage/AoD2C

http://dragcave.net/lineage/q3RLM

And one of my favorites:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/WoQJm

Some of my lines turn up in the Great Lineages found in the AP thread. This one, hasn't, but has ended up in the Wild more than once:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/yX9EN

And yet, despite all other stuff I can and do do.... The Tinsel sprites are some of my favorite, and I would want to use them even if they were common. Because they are fantastic sprites that go with many other breeds. And the truth is, the tinsels and shimmers really are the best of the "shiny" sprites. I love the Coppers, but they are not shiny. I love the new Gold sprites, but they are just Gold. I've come to dislike the Silver sprite, as its not shiny, has many anatomy flaws, and just..... looks very outdated. They don't look *special*, and the Tinsels and Shimmers do look very special.

Given the number of people that love the Tinsel and Shimmer sprites, and want to use them to create pretty lineages, why not shift things so that they can do that? I've found most tinsel and shimmer owners to be pleasant, but there is nothing they can do: their prizes breed true even more rarely than Golds.

Cheers!

C4.

Edited by cyradis4

I didn't mean everyone to get one. But I'm not one to argue, especially about something that is about an online game haha. I'm happy with my shimmers and tinsels, and if I can never afford/get the lineages I truly love, I won't be too upset. I was just attempting to try and explain my opinions on things to your questions.

I actually feel like the raffles are not good for the DC community/economy, and wouldn't mind if they went away, but that's just my opinion. if they continue to be around, I would just like to see lower gens available to a wider portion of the community without having to be paid for in blood, first born, limbs, or a treasure trove of rares that the common player then can't get because they all go to the same people to pay for low gens =)

And i know that's not the prize winners/low gen owner's fault, it's the breeding rate of prizes. Hence why I feel that a consolation prize would ease disappointment and bitter feelings in those that can never attain lineages they want, and increasing the amount of winners or upping the breeding success would improve things over all.

Others had put it extremely well...i am not as good at explaining my feelings, but here's my last 2 cents on the matter. I'll bow out of this before people start throwing things at me *slink away*

their prizes breed true even more rarely than Golds.

Yeah, I don't agree with this at all. My Tinsel breeds way better than most of my metals do. I only have one pair of metals that seems to breed decently well no matter what, and even those aren't as prolific as my Tinsel (and some of the 2nd gens from him I kept).

I think Sirithiliel answered well. I do work on other, more easily obtainable lineages--I'm working on a very large Sunsong x Thunder checker, I make checkers with almost all of my Metals and Holidays, and I collect pretty checkers others have made whenever I get the chance (haha, I guess some of those things aren't easily obtainable, either--but still wayyy easier than Prizes xd.png). However, just because there are other things I like doesn't mean I don't want to work with Prizes, too. Silver Shimmers in particular are gorgeous to me (Haku dragons! <3) and I would love to do more with them... but I can't. Because all the lower lines (which usually look best, due to 1) the sprite sizes not shrinking until higher gens and 2) the chances of long name / short name making the stair look wonky are lower) are impossible to afford, or aren't what I want (I dream of a Silver Shimmer x Sunsong checker... right now, such a thing doesn't exist for me to even trade for, and even if I do get a 2g, even making a 3g checker would be hard, much less higher gens. Only more Prizes would really make it possible). And some lines, again as Sirithiliel said, don't even exist--and won't, unless those lucky few who can request 2gs choose to start them.

We aren't asking DC to give us everything easily. We are simply asking for things to be more obtainable. Getting a CB Metal is hard. Making Neglecteds is hard. Building a 7g checker is hard. But these things are, by and large, doable for everyone. Whereas with low gen Prizes / Shimmers, hard work is no guarantee of success, not by a long shot. Even multiple CB Metals--the game's naturally rarest dragons--usually have no luck trading for them, unless by lucky chance you stumble across a user when their list is just reopening or approach a new Prize winner early. They aren't just hard to get, they're whoa holy cow BBQ hard to get. Rares in a collecting game are good--super elite limited rares, not so much, IMO. The only other major collecting game I play on a regular basis is Pokemon, and even there the situation is kinder--the rarest Pokemon are generally available multiple times to anyone who can get to spots with wireless access (which is most game stores), and even if people do miss out, at least they're not having the offspring of those uber-rares dangled above their noses, in theory obtainable, but at prices and scarcity levels that are all but impossible to obtain.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I actually feel like the raffles are not good for the DC community/economy, and wouldn't mind if they went away, but that's just my opinion. if they continue to be around, I would just like to see lower gens available to a wider portion of the community without having to be paid for in blood, first born, limbs, or a treasure trove of rares that the common player then can't get because they all go to the same people to pay for low gens =)

And i know that's not the prize winners/low gen owner's fault, it's the breeding rate of prizes. Hence why I feel that a consolation prize would ease disappointment and bitter feelings in those that can never attain lineages they want, and increasing the amount of winners or upping the breeding success would improve things over all.

Yeah, this. I wouldn't mind if the raffle went away forever. The prizes and low-gens have a stranglehold on the trading economy to the point where unless you have connections, or spend hours in front of your computer ~*honing your catching skills*~ you won't ever be able to afford the prices for other rares you might want.

Or the 2nd gen prizes you might want either, conversely. 50 commons? 10 CB gold? I can't even catch one. And I'm not a farming service--I'm here to raise what I like, too. <-- I know this opinion sticks me into the minority, but it seems like either someone holds your scroll hostage, especially if they'll only take mature hatchlings instead of eggs or newly hatched hatchlings, or you spend hours trying to catch something you might never have seen in the cave.

That's me. I've never seen a single CB metal in the cave.

And no, of course it's not the fault of the CB prize owners. But the entire atmosphere of disappointment this raffle perpetuates at a time of year that is supposed to make you feel generous and happy and hopeful is really not great in a game, imo. Yes, it's a game. And game's a re meant to be fun. The raffle makes it not-so-fun.

We aren't asking DC to give us everything easily. We are simply asking for things to be more obtainable. Getting a CB Metal is hard. Making Neglecteds is hard. Building a 7g checker is hard. But these things are, by and large, doable for everyone. Whereas with low gen Prizes / Shimmers, hard work is no guarantee of success, not by a long shot. Even multiple CB Metals--the game's naturally rarest dragons--usually have no luck trading for them, unless by lucky chance you stumble across a user when their list is just reopening or approach a new Prize winner early. They aren't just hard to get, they're whoa holy cow BBQ hard to get. Rares in a collecting game are good--super elite limited rares, not so much, IMO. The only other major collecting game I play on a regular basis is Pokemon, and even there the situation is kinder--the rarest Pokemon are generally available multiple times to anyone who can get to spots with wireless access (which is most game stores), and even if people do miss out, at least they're not having the offspring of those uber-rares dangled above their noses, in theory obtainable, but at prices and scarcity levels that are all but impossible to obtain.

Exactly! It's the near-impossibility of getting one or the offspring of one which creates such disappointment right around Christmas/New Year. And even then, for both players who've been here a long time (my friend who's been here since '08) or me, who only signed up in November, it's still an impossibly, incredibly, long shot.

And even then, the prices are ridiculous. sad.gif

Yeah, this. I wouldn't mind if the raffle went away forever. The prizes and low-gens have a stranglehold on the trading economy to the point where unless you have connections, or spend hours in front of your computer ~*honing your catching skills*~ you won't ever be able to afford the prices for other rares you might want.

The issue with cutting the raffles cold-turkey is it makes those offspring even more exclusive / valuable, not less. We might not have the annual disappointment of losing the raffle... but we'll still have the super high prices controlling the trade threads and reminding us of what we're missing daily. X___x

@mirjana:

if we could get everything easy enough, then what would be the fun in that?

besides, its easy to get almost everything BUT cb silver/gold/green copper from the cave or in trades, and there are those who can catch metals and trade them for reasonable prices. But what do you expect? If you are not prepared to WORK for something rare, and don't want luck either - what is the way to get rares, then? Simply making them not rare will just make the whole trade-market useless. you just killed the user interactions if anyone can catch anything.

The issue with cutting the raffles cold-turkey is it makes those offspring even more exclusive / valuable, not less. We might not have the annual disappointment of losing the raffle... but we'll still have the super high prices controlling the trade threads and reminding us of what we're missing daily. X___x

That's true. So the multi-clutching or release of a dull sprite variant of the prizes in the cave might be the way to go and possibly lower prices. I hope.

@mirjana:

besides, its easy to get almost everything BUT cb silver/gold/green copper from the cave or in trades, and there are those who can catch metals and trade them for reasonable prices. But what do you expect? If you are not prepared to WORK for something rare, and don't want luck either - what is the way to get rares, then? Simply making them not rare will just make the whole trade-market useless. you just killed the user interactions if anyone can catch anything.

I expect to not have to spend 24/7 shackled to my computer and this site in order to get nice things. Which is what it would be, sitting here to try and catch CB metals in the cave in order to get 10+ for a single 2nd gen.

I have a life, family, job. Like I'm sure others do. But I am not willing to sacrifice ALL of my time to "work" at anything in this game. I've sat in the cave once for 3 hours switching biomes and never saw a single rare.

That was it for me.

@mirjana:

I think you're misunderstanding what's being said. I've not seen anyone here ask for a handout or for things to be easy. I've seen people ask for things to be reasonable and doable. That's a lot different from 'Give this to me for free.'

As a side note, I've been apart of this site for a long time, sat in the biomes for hours on end and have yet to get a cb gold. Not sure how much more "hard work" I could possibly put in.

Just my 2cents, yet again. My opinions and only my opinions.

DragonCave is supposed to be a fun game; Games in general are a way to escape from the stress and aggravation of Real Life. Many users express that the raffle has made the game less fun, even stressful, because so many people don't win.

.... So don't enter the raffle. Don't put so much hope on what you *know* is a very tiny little chance. Play DragonCave in a stress-free way; grab eggs from the AP or biomes, breed your adults, go on a naming spree (which I need to do soon), etc.

When I first started therapy I was told something that stuck with me: No one person or one event can "make" me react a certain way. I can react in a bad way because I don't *stop* myself from reacting that way, but the way I react to *anything* in my life is my choice. Most people forget that most of the time.

Yeah, okay, you didn't win the raffle. Tons and tons of other users didn't win. But hey, we had a *wonderful* Snow Event! That was fun! And because a certain number of people *did* win, we will eventually have more and more of those Prize Dragons in the game and a slightly better chance at getting a bred one.

I still think a "coal" type of consolation prize for everyone who entered the raffle is a great idea. I'm against everyone being about to get an HM, for the reasons angelicdragonpuppy stated.

I think I could hug you. This is (and indeed has *always* been) my attitude to the raffles. Yeah it's fun to do the event and get excited about new rares, yeah it's a bit disappointing if you don't win. But it only has the power to really upset you if you choose to let it.

I think I could hug you. This is (and indeed has *always* been) my attitude to the raffles. Yeah it's fun to do the event and get excited about new rares, yeah it's a bit disappointing if you don't win. But it only has the power to really upset you if you choose to let it.

I don't think anyone here is extremely upset over the raffle--it is just a game, after all--but it's still a part of a game that's made the game less fun for many. As such, I don't think just smiling and ignoring is really a solution. Again, I'll hardly cry if things don't change, but I would still like to see them changed regardless.

I think you're misunderstanding what's being said. I've not seen anyone here ask for a handout or for things to be easy. I've seen people ask for things to be reasonable and doable. That's a lot different from 'Give this to me for free.'

As a side note, I've been apart of this site for a long time, sat in the biomes for hours on end and have yet to get a cb gold. Not sure how much more "hard work" I could possibly put in.

If collecting and raising common hatchies is not a reasonable or doable task, then I don't know what is.

Reasonable and doable for most opinions in this thread amounts to basically: cost less than a single cb metal in worth. Or get a prize-copy in coal for free. So, almost all I've seen so far is wanting without giving, or without giving much.

I just recently sold 2 cb coppers for crimsons. Know what? delivering 40 crimsons is obviously doable in 2 weeks. That's far from enslaving your scroll.

Edited by whitebaron

If collecting and raising common hatchies is not a reasonable or doable task, then I don't know what is.

Reasonable and doable for most opinions in this thread amounts to basically: cost less than a single cb metal in worth. Or get a prize-copy in coal for free. So, almost all I've seen so far is wanting without giving, or without giving much.

Do please point me towards one Prize owner, other than the new wave of them, who have an open list asking for such things for a 2g Prize. Please. We would all much appreciate it.

It'd just be nice if the average 2g traded for only 1-2 CB Metals on average. The cave's natural rarest things for the cave's rarest less natural things, so to speak. I highly doubt they will ever fall below CB Metals in rarity, considering CB Metals are being produced at a rate of several a day while CB Prizes come in tiny amounts only once a year. Also, a coal version wouldn't replace the desire for low gens of colorful prizes, so that's not exactly comparable.