_Z_

Notice Regarding Trading Harassment

Actually, you have to give your scroll name when you register an account here.

But I do agree that maybe that rule should be added to other areas.  The main rules and the registration page seem like they both might be good places.

Actually, you can leave it blank. Well in a 2008. Now maybe it's not like that. If i can remember i even register forum account before DC account (not sure, my wife drags me here ^_^).

And yes, rules must be present on a registration form (as a link - IPB doesn't provide any mechanism to post them in a full-formatted form).

Except for specialty accounts (project accounts here, RP characters elsewhere), it's pretty much general forum rule that you should only be signing up with one account. I've not known otherwise.

Whole users may be curious as to the reasons of someone's actions for consequences like a burned scroll, it's not their business and as they don't need to know, we will not be doing public blacklists for them. Users do have a degree of privacy here. :3

I think I can guess why the sudden increase in such behaviours... I'm pretty sure people are harassing the Raffle Winners to get their hands on a Shimmer Scale...

Pretty sad to hear about it.

almost kind of glad i didnt win D: im sure its been hard for some of the raffle winners =/ i personally have a hard time telling ppl a flat out no, but if someone was constantly begging for it i would get pretty upset sad.gif sad to hear

I've taken to stating to some people that if you are asking then that implies you can take a yes or no answer. If the only answer you will accept is yes, then you are demanding.

That is a really excellent way to put it! smile.gif

I want to add...

I had an user blocked from trading with me (on CS, not here) and they kept pming me "why am I blocked?", and that several times per day.

So pming users why they had been blocked, specially if you use their email adress, or other means to contact them CAN be felt as harrassment.

If an user blocks you, they have their reasons.

Maybe they don´t like you, and don´t want to give you unfriendly answers to your pms?

Maybe they heard something bad, or had bad experience, or saw a thread that stuck wrong with them.

There are a lot of reasons. Many are probably unknown to the one that got blocked, or missunderstood, but messaging them can be taken as harrassment.

They blocked your PMs, means they do not want you to contact them.

I am not going back to the topic "Children know No".

Because children after a certain age try to bend around the "No".

I have two, I know that.

What I mean are the adults/Teenagers on here, that refuse to listen to anything their choosen "victim" says. (harsh wording, but ...)

I have seen people running around, completely refusing to even CONSIDER a person´s feelings over a trade, stomping over them under the pretense "If they´d not want that, they would say so or blow the trade off"

It makes me want I could go out and point a finger at them and tell them to back off and stop behaving like that.

But that would bring ME into the position where I break the rules.

If somebody bugs you - ban pm.

Mods will surely clean topics if outburst becomes uncontrollable.

If things are getting even worse - make a 2nd forum account for conversations.

Better method to get away from unwanted people in internet - it's ignoring them.

Even if they go ballistic and start local nuclear war - you're safe.

PS. Maybe "Hall of Shame" is a good idea.

I do not usually reply to members directly on the forum. PM is my preferred method.

To address your post.

Blocking members is acceptable.

A second form account is unacceptable, and is not tolerated.

A hall of shame would be unacceptable.

Several mods have already pointed this out. I really hope you understand why we feel your post is misleading. Please feel free to pm me or any mod at anytime.

~Edit to fix my silly miss wording.~

Edited by _Z_

A hall of shame would  be unacceptable. ~Edited~

(offtopic, but how would a hall of shame look like?)

Edited by _Z_

I assume it would be a topic blacklist that any member could be put on.

~I apologize for my miss wording, I have edited my post.~

Edited by _Z_

Everyone's avatar would have to wear a neck cone. laugh.gif

user posted image

I would like to see it be reportable when someone starts a thread saying "xxxx you have blocked my PMs and I don't know why I thought we were friends" mad.gif

People responded with things like "well, maybe you were rude in a PM" and it degenerated into "well, I don't think I was, I am lovely" and so on. The person blocking her was named. And the tone of the thread ended up that you could see why she'd been blocked - but you should NOT be able publicly to name someone blocking you.

What about if the person who has blocked you is publicly talking about why they blocked you, then? Not like a public blacklist, but publicly telling people they've blocked you. I don't think this has happened to me, but I'm just curious.

But I have to question whether it is fair (for lack of a better word) to block someone hypothetically when that person doesn't even know they've done something to warrant a block; especially when you have nothing written in your profile or signature (or wherever is easy to see, really).

Even more so, in that case, as the blocked person; is it then "harassment" to then simply inquire as to why you were blocked - obviously, via some other means.

The problem with this idea of fairness is that it assumes the blocker owes the blockee an answer. They don't. The issue isn't whether it was fair, but whether any individual user is obliged/required to keep a channel of communication open--or if there's some imaginary threshold that must be met before they can decide they don't have to talk to (generic) you anymore.

Each individual gets to draw that line in the sand for themselves. They are not obliged to keep channels open beyond their comfort zone--not even to answer why they don't want to.

Especially given that most of the time, "I just want to know why/I just want closure" is usually really "I just want to state my case one last time--and again, and again, and again until you give in..."

The problem with this idea of fairness is that it assumes the blocker owes the blockee an answer. They don't. The issue isn't whether it was fair, but whether any individual user is obliged/required to keep a channel of communication open--or if there's some imaginary threshold that must be met before they can decide they don't have to talk to (generic) you anymore.

Each individual gets to draw that line in the sand for themselves. They are not obliged to keep channels open beyond their comfort zone--not even to answer why they don't want to.

Especially given that most of the time, "I just want to know why/I just want closure" is usually really "I just want to state my case one last time--and again, and again, and again until you give in..."

Exactly. Like the people who keep wanting to be your friend when you actually don't like them and have done your level best to get this across to them by not being available to go out with them, go to dinner, chat on the phone etc. And in that case, the why would be worse than the blocking. "Because I actually don't like you" is about as bad as it gets !

I wish there were a way to block some people in real life, actually... ninja.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

I agree with this.

There really aren't many clearer ways of saying, "I don't want to interact with player X" than by blocking off player X's means of contacting them. The ToS says that interactions have to be willful, and blocking off communication with someone makes it pretty clear that the person is not willing to interact with them.

At that point, I think that using the email link to circumvent someone's blocking actually is a problem. Because by then it's obvious that they don't want to talk, but the contactor is trying to get them to do so, despite being aware of that.

Don't get me wrong, I get where people are coming from about crossed-wires and misunderstandings - I think we've all dealt with those in life - but even if someone is absolutely sure that a given situation is a misunderstanding, schmupti is right that that doesn't obligate the other person to hear them out. Sometimes things happen and a person just doesn't want to deal with any of it. 99% of the time they won't block people and the chance will be there to contact them and see if there was some kind of mix up. But that 1% where they do block someone, for whatever reason they do so, I think that should be the end of it, because they're plainly letting the other player know that contact is not welcome.

As for potential over-sensitivity or over-reporting, people can be over-sensitive if they want, in regard to blocking other players. As for reporting, I assume that the mods would handle it like they do with all other reporting and check it out and make a decision. I'm sure they've gotten reports before that they didn't think merited action, so they probably have plenty of practice in being able to tell when the rules are being broken.

Hello together,

I am so happy about the flower-list, but I would like ist, if there where flowers listet, which I DON´T have yet (and not the flowers, I have got)

Blacklists aren't allowed? Really? Because they're all over, floating around the forum. And yes, I'm very happy about the flower list too!! biggrin.gif

Edited by Wallie987

What about if the person who has blocked you is publicly talking about why they blocked you, then? Not like a public blacklist, but publicly telling people they've blocked you. I don't think this has happened to me, but I'm just curious.

If they are saying they have blocked people for interacting with them against their clearly stated rules, it is quite possible they are trying to get their clearly stated rules that much more clearer and warn or inform others that their rules are not there for show, they mean it.

They may have written down a private black list.

I've been in a boat where users said they read my rules but....asked anyway. I have these people noted in my mind after I face palmed with a why?!

I will say, as a person who has a personal no list, as long as the person is not openly saying OMG don't trade with "insert user name" You may feel they are talking about you, but most other users, if the name is left off, may be wondering but they probably don't know at all, and entirely possible they don't care.

I am not entirely sure sure about, word of mouth black lists, which get whispered around, but you cannot really stop these unless they become hard data available to the public.

I speak about the following in a general manner.

In the end, if you think a person is talking about you if they say, they have blocked people, chances are you have done something to irritate the person enough that they felt this is necessary. If you think they have blocked you chances are that you know what you did to have had that action taken against you - guilty conscience. Which when you look at it this way, why are you wanting to find out why they blocked you if you know they have blocked you for breaking the rules they operate by.

And since its no name used, they are leaving people enough privacy

Anyway a number of people here have stated they have users blocked. So the only difference is the users who have that aforementioned guilty conscience.

I believe this question has been answered decently enough that it does not need to be argued any further.

Blacklists aren't allowed? Really? Because they're all over, floating around the forum. And yes, I'm very happy about the flower list too!! biggrin.gif

The ones you see are for breaking SPECIFIC thread rules, not for breaking TOS

at one time there was a "good trader" thread, but there has never been a "bad trader" thread that I recall----- or any other type of forum wide black list

The ones you see are for breaking SPECIFIC thread rules, not for breaking TOS

at one time there was a "good trader" thread, but there has never been a "bad trader" thread that I recall----- or any other type of forum wide black list

Seems like that's for the best.This place doesn't need fights and accusations flying around.

I'm with the mods - no Hall of Shame - although I do have a small "wall of shame" post on my project thread - it's intended to show people what rules are severe enough for them to no longer be acceptable as a lister.

If they want off it, they can always PM me. I don't bite - I do have a loud bark, tho.

As for people being greedy and overreaching or feeling entitled or whatever - these people can ruin a lot of people's chances at something awesome such as a 2nd gen tinsel.

A person tried to lotto a 2nd gen tin, but unfortunately the bot in irc was off having a vacation without warning us in advance... so a lot of people were urging that person to use a list randomizer, to create a new chatroom with their bot, so forth. Including PMs.

Well guess what. That person won't lotto a 2nd gen tinsel again. That's what being greedy/bullying/bratty can get you - losing a chance at something awesome.

~~~

Now that I've made my point about how rudeness can affect people. Let's switch completely here.

I pm'd some of the shimmer-scale winners - told them congrats and that I'd love to breed them something with NO STRINGS ATTACHED. Just a gift to show my congratulations to them.

Some of them were surprised by that. I did NOT expect to be put on ANY list. All I wanted to do was give them a happy feeling for having gotten a cool prize and the pleasantness of having a PM that expected nothing. I know that the winners were getting swamped with eh, "can I be on a list" kind of pm.

Well, being polite and not expecting anything. It turns out I'm on some lists just for being polite.

Politeness goes a LONG way.

So I encourage you people to be happy for the winners of lottos, of raffles, of trades, whatever. It's a bit tiresome to see "Oh, just one number off, d'awww! But congrats anyway!"

To me that tells the winner that she/he should feel guilty about winning whatever.

So please think about how YOU would feel if YOU were in the winner's shoes. Would you like hearing this or that. If you wouldn't, then don't say it.

If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything.

I believe in responding to all PMs that I get - however I do have a couple users on block, for various reasons.

All I ask is that you think twice before pm'ing or replying to a forum post or making a comment in irc. It could make YOUR life much easier, not to mention, make mods' lives much easier as well.

Now to end my looooooong soapbox rant with this...

I love DC and always will. Make it an awesome place to be.

~Sunny

A quick question: how do you know that someone has blocked you (besides PMing)? Do you get a notice, or something?