_Z_

Notice Regarding Trading Harassment

And them there's some people who are blocked and accused of harassment for no good reason...

But whatever, I'm glad this announcement has been made, and I hope it does something to help the problem.

If you have been hypothetically blacklisted by someone, is it harassment to politely ask *why* you were blacklisted, then?

Edited by TheGrox

O.o Wow, I can't believe it came to this. sad.gif I honestly am starting to think that some people don't use their brains... or maybe they're mush?? (no offense, just saying that some people don't really seem to understand even though they're smart enough to... sad.gif)

I hate that it has come to this, but I'm certainly glad it's being addressed. I've never experienced this first hand thankfully. However, a friend of mine on here has had this happen to her. People need to know that it's NOT okay to pitch fits over pixels.

Thank you mods for keeping things in perspective! <3

people can block whoever they feel they need to.

Sure they can, that's no problem.

But I have to question whether it is fair (for lack of a better word) to block someone hypothetically when that person doesn't even know they've done something to warrant a block; especially when you have nothing written in your profile or signature (or wherever is easy to see, really).

Even more so, in that case, as the blocked person; is it then "harassment" to then simply inquire as to why you were blocked - obviously, via some other means.

It doesn't feel nice at all to be classed as "people who not to trade with and block these people" or made out to be something negative when you have in fact, done nothing wrong really. A lot of this information gets spread out among the trading community, lies "covered up as truth" included.

Not that I have been blocked, as far as I know blink.gif. So I want to ask: What happens in these cases, if anything?

Spent a good bit of time thinking about this last night, but I'm still shocked. I guess I just haven't seen that kind of behavior on the site. Maybe because I don't have a CB holly/tinsel/prize on my scroll, maybe because I don't post often enough to be a target, maybe I've just been lucky. Every so often, somebody will send me a huge request for offspring from all my rares, or something equally silly; I usually breed one thing from their list and send it off with a short explanation of DC etiquette. But I've never had any of those people message back afterwards, other than the odd "thank you". Admittedly, there are fewer "thank yous" than "k, got it" messages or even radio silence, which is a bit depressing, but that's a far cry from harassment.

In my experience, the majority of players on this site are helpful, friendly, and generous. It's sad that a few bad apples have made a public warning necessary... but I hope the existence of this thread doesn't give any newcomers the wrong idea about us!

(EDITED for typo fix and clarity, 'cause I'm just OCD like that. wink.gif )

Edited by Evilminion

This is why I've never actually blocked anyone. I haven't been the victim if much harassment, but I've had a few angry PM's in my time. But rather than just straight up blocking the person, I prefer to give them a chance. In one instance, someone was rather annoyed I hadn't accepted their trade offer. They were a newer player, so I thought I would reply to their rage PM, explaining exactly why I hadn't accepted their offer, and explaining a bit about how trading works (because their offer was unrealistic). They calmed down and we actually ended up trading xd.png.

I know some people can be very persistent, and then blocking would be necessary, but I think there is a danger of people becoming over-sensitive; reporting and blocking people that really don't deserve it. Of course, you can block anyone you like, but I would hope that mods would be able to distinguish reports of real harassment against those which aren't so much.

People need to know that it's NOT okay to pitch fits over pixels. 

Thank you mods for keeping things in perspective! <3

^This. *nods* Pixels are pixels, life will move on. If you don't get what you want, oh well, too bad! As far as I can tell, you don't have someone threatening your life on you getting a Shimmer-scale or you summoning a GoN or whatever. I'm terrible at saying no, but I know when to follow a no. This is the second site I'm on where a moderator or admin had to make a notice of harassment over trades and whatnot. I think it's kinda sad. And I think it's especially sad that on both site, some people have quit because of those that like to test their limits. You can get only so far on a thread before it's going to snap. If I ever have kids and they start having tantrums, they're done. I'm gonna be toned out unless there's an absolute need that they throw that fit. I can't stand people that get all worked up over games. What did our parents, grandparent, and so on do before games!? You didn't see them throwing fits because they where told no for some pixel work! Honestly, I don't think I can stand much more than my brother throwing his fits over CoD, and he's almost a Senior!! Please people, can we grow up a little?? Maybe?

And Evilminion, I completely agree with you. I was unsure about even posting on the forums at first, but I looked around and saw some really nice people and decided to join in on the fun! I'm not sure what I would have done if the first thing I saw where some warning topics... :L

I just wish there were also a way to stop people from trying to kill others' eggs...

I've been having to keep everything on my scroll fogged for two days because every time I unfog them, they're being viewbombed again within an hour or two.

Edited by keijaidyyn

Maybe they just find your scroll unusually interesting...

Considering that I've never had this problem AT ALL until a few days ago when I voiced my opinion on a certain current matter, I'd think it's more them trying to harass me than trying to "help"... not to mention that my scroll is set to decline aid and has been for quite some time.

off topic:

I do not think we can do a whole lot unless you check out the popular egg sites and have them removed from them if they are there. Check yarolds. I understand that is a popular site for this sort of happening. May be in your best interest to contact forum staff and see what they can suggest.

If somebody bugs you - ban pm.

Mods will surely clean topics if outburst becomes uncontrollable.

If things are getting even worse - make a 2nd forum account for conversations.

Better method to get away from unwanted people in internet - it's ignoring them.

Even if they go ballistic and start local nuclear war - you're safe.

PS. Maybe "Hall of Shame" is a good idea.

Edited by Fsaber

If somebody bugs you - ban pm.

Mods will surely clean topics if outburst becomes uncontrollable.

If things are getting even worse - make a 2nd forum account for conversations.

Better method to get away from unwanted people in internet - it's ignoring them.

Even if they go ballistic and start local nuclear war - you're safe.

PS. Maybe "Hall of Shame" is a good idea.

Just a note:

Members are allowed only one forum account. I also don't see a Hall of Shame being allowed on the forum.

Edited by rubyshoes

Just a note:

Members are allowed only one forum account.

I would hope so! dry.gif Way back in the day, I used to manage the forums for a videogame company called Sierra On-Line. We had two players who were constantly at each other's throats, causing one heck of a ruckus, arguing about every little thing. Really irritating, because they'd stir up everyone else into the name-calling and side-taking.

Thing is... bits of their phrasing, common misspellings, use of punctuation... it started to seem very similar. So we looked up the IP addresses, and discovered they were identical. All that drama, all that grandstanding and viciousness, all that frustration for me and my volunteer mods... all one person.

Soooo, yeah. One player, one forum account. Iron-clad rule, in my book.

Edited by Evilminion

And them there's some people who are blocked and accused of harassment for no good reason...

But whatever, I'm glad this announcement has been made, and I hope it does something to help the problem.

If you have been hypothetically blacklisted by someone, is it harassment to politely ask *why* you were blacklisted, then?

You talking blacklist or blocked? Public blacklists are not allowed. If you see one in a sig or profile, please report it to a mod.

It seems rather rude to follow a user around through various methods of contact to see why they blocked you. Kinda defeats the purpose, no? If you are blocked, you're blocked. Move on. Yeah, it's strange when it seemingly comes out of nowhere, but that is user prerogative. ^^

Just a note:

Members are allowed only one forum account. I also don't see a Hall of Shame being allowed on the forum.

i didn't see it on Board Rules nor user agreement section in registration form. And, by default, all unprohibited actions are allowed. if i'm wrong - please point me to where such restrictions are defined.

PS. Anyone can create a techically different account that nobody can proove that it's a duplicate. Unless owner didn't compromise himself. Why ban inevitable?

PPS. It's not that i'm proactively support such ideas. It's just a discussion.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=109427

Reminder:

You are only allowed one forum and one cave account (One scroll.)

http://dragcave.net/terms

Multiple Accounts

By signing up, you agree that you will only create one (1) account. You also agree that you will not falsify information when creating accounts for any reason.

a hall of shame would only create drama and hard feelings which is what we are attempting to avoid here. Posts such as this can create hostilities so they are best, using common sense, left not created.

Edited by Starscream

i didn't see it on Board Rules nor user agreement section in registration form. And, by default, all unprohibited actions are allowed. if i'm wrong - please point me to where such restrictions are defined.

PS. Anyone can create a techically different account that nobody can proove that it's a duplicate. Unless owner didn't compromise himself. Why ban inevitable?

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=109427 Link to the guidelines/rules - found under number 4.

edit: Ninja'd by starscream -thank you

Edited by rubyshoes

Dragon Cave Forum -> Dragon Cave -> Site Discussion -> Introduce Yourself -> Introduction Guidelines.

Seriously? It's a very unusual way to place forum rules. Never read them before.

Ok. Now it's done.

About hall of ...anything... etc.

In "Notice..." we are directed to mods for solving issues. Let's imagine situation where permban issued to someone, but only to forum and not to DC account. Should we inform other users about banned person? I, personally, would be glad to get a list of DC accounts associated with permbanned persons for such reason. I didn't want get involved with them in any activity.

I agree that personal blacklistings are denied. Sure, it can be very subjective. But mods verdict on the case clears that subjectivity. I dunno. Such list have his pros and cons.

Edited by Fsaber

Actually, you have to give your scroll name when you register an account here. So the only way to make a new account that didn't give you away would be to make a second scroll and those get found out all the time, so I think that it probably wouldn't be that easy, and it could definitely get a person's scroll burned, which certainly isn't worth it for a second forum account.

But I do agree that maybe that rule should be added to other areas. The main rules and the registration page seem like they both might be good places.

Aww.. It's sad that folks would leave because they felt they were being harassed.

Blacklisting would definitely be a bad thing. I once offered exactly what someone asked for in a trade and got raked over the coals because I would dare make such an offer. It turns out that person meant to say that they wouldn't accept what I offered but they didn't say that. What would have happened if that person had blocked me without giving the opportunity to explain (and show them what they had posted)? I could have been blacklisted for something totally inappropriate.