lycrawaterz14

Of Slaves and Royals

(Yeah... Really unlikely but even in the civil war people adopted 'high yellow' half African Americans... I guess it's plausible, but risky. Kinlea will have a field day...)

Alec

He talked to the men in the garage and he went back to Isabeth. "The car will be ready soon." He spoke with that stereotyped butler voice. I wonder what goes on inside her head... He thought. Maybe she finds everything as a piece of candy, sweet. His facial expression gave nothing away. Is that how it is for all slave owners. Everything goes their way while slaves do all the chores and dirty work? His mind trailed off. He still gave nothing away and just waited for Isabeth's command.

(Uh... Everyone was already invited to the Valentine's ball. >_> Can't it be the next RP day?)

((Okay, I really don’t mean to play devil’s advocate here, but ‘fraid I’m going to have to…

As I understood it, rather than indicating noble or royal blood, the use of the word ‘Royals’ here is pretty much a nickname given to the upper class; kind of like the phrase ‘The 1%’. Of course, that doesn’t necessarily mean that there isn’t actual nobility, but thus far the Beaumont’s are the only ones. Would they associate themselves with the merely rich, non-titled people?

I know you changed Annabeth to being a lady, but just so you know that in this world there are legal implications with mixing ‘royal’ and slave blood and presenting the offspring as a ‘royal’; including it being an executable offense.

Though we did have some non-human characters, Romero and Inaseiko, they seemed to be more of oddities than the norm, so don’t know how well received Adrien would be outside his court. Also, while he’s ‘wandering the streets’ in his disguise, wouldn’t there be a concern about being mistaken for a runaway slave and troubles with slave-catchers?

The things mentioned above really aren’t major issues, but rather some things to possibly keep in mind. My primary concern, however, is the setting… As much as I truly do enjoy Renaissance and fantasy, the setting here is modern – we have cars, television and other appliances, modern hospitals, guns, bullet-proof vests, and so on. Changing the setting now would completely negate a lot of what has already been written, and I’d very much rather not do that. I do like your characters, and your application and post were very well written, however would it be possible to write them in a way that meshes with the modern setting? (If I’m the only one who feels this way, it’s okay to disregard this smile.gif )

Also, since plans for the Valentine’s Masquerade have already started to be written, I do have to second lycra’s request to have the engagement celebration on another RP day, please.

On an unrelated note: kingcobra, would you like me to assume that Alec had grabbed his jacket and send them on their way, or would you like to have Isabeth scold him and send him to get it? Your call… smile.gif

On another unrelated note: I have a funeral to attend out of town, and will be without internet from sometime Thursday until Sunday afternoon. Sorry for any inconvenience. ))

(Hate to say it... but I kind of agree. Why don't me and you make our own Thael? You already did all that work...)

((@starphyre Ah let's assume that he did... I truly try to remember things because of my hatred for rereading.

@Thaelasan It is a modern setting. You could make some tweeks. I like your form though. The valentines ball invites have been sent out also so another RP day would be necessary. I do like the idea of what you're planning also but something's already in go.))

(( Oh I know it's modern. You know about the Vatican, correct? In theory, Versailles, in this world, is a country which is famed for its architecture. It is still medieval and noble because it kept its slaves - avoiding the rebellion. ))

(( well if we're basing this off an alternate timeline, if France still has slaves, it also means that it never had its rebellion, the Reign of Terror, which removed nobility from the French. Britain had a similar problem but nothing so significant as to murder for it. ))

(That's looking at things way, way too literally.. I assumed this would be based on a new system in modern day, reverting back to slavery out of necessity and because the population of poor people expanded)

Isabeth was just finishing customizing the settings on her new phone when Alec returned. At his words, she glanced to him with a frown. “You need to learn how to address me properly,” she said in an annoyed tone as she looked to her phone again. After a couple more swipes on the phone, she put it away as she stood up and said, “You know, I met a guy yesterday, and his girl was so well behaved…” as she headed to the door, she completely ignored the dirty dishes and empty gift box sitting on the coffee table. “I’m sure she can give you some pointers.” Once outside, she froze with an incredulous look. “What. Is. This?” she asked gesturing at the four-door sedan sitting in the driveway.

Alec

"The only car we have available." He said.

((Sorry can't make a long reply just got back from a trip and I have to go to bed.))

“Uh…no,” Isabeth said sounding rather like a petulant child. “I cannot be seen driving this. It’s an old person car.” She pulled out her phone and started dialing as she continued, “Daddy has a like whole garage full of cars, so…” She put the phone to her ear, and her tone turned almost sweet as she said, “Hi Daddy, I need to do some running so I’m going to take the red car, okay?”

“YOU ARE NOT TAKING THAT CAR!” Her father’s response was so loud that she had to quickly hold the phone away from her ear and put it on speaker phone. “Not after last time.”

“Oh come on Daddy, it was just a little dent.”

“Yeah, and the Grand Canyon is just a little crack in the ground.”

“Well it’s not my fault my car isn’t here.” The silence that met that statement told Isabeth that she’d won, and she had to keep the smirk off her face as she imagined the frustrated look her father must have had.

“…You can take the black one,” he said at last in a resigned tone before he threatened, “But there had better not be one scratch on it!” At those words, the slave from the garage – who for some reason hadn’t gone back to the garage already – flashed Alec a brief knowing grin as he got back into the car and drove it away.

Isabeth was oblivious to the look the slave gave Alec as she said in the same sweet tone she’d used before, “Thank you Daddy. I promise I’ll be careful.” With that, she hung up the phone before her father could say anything else.

Before long, a sleek black sports car was pulled up in front of her, and as the slave got out, he stood by the open car door as he said, “Fueled and ready, Mistress Isabeth.”

Once both she and Alec were in the car, she pulled out of the driveway as she held out her hand toward Alec and said, “I’ll take that information that Abby gave you now.”

(Should we just skip to the valentines dance? That would be easier I guess... can Isabeth awkwardly blind/accidentally be Tybalt's date?)

((Hmm…I was planning on having Isabeth show up at Tybalt’s, tell him everything that Kinlea said, and then suggest that they go to the dance to make Kinlea think that she was doing what she’d been told – well that, and because she thinks it’d make Kinlea rather jealous wink.gif. I was also planning on having her send Alec into the kitchen with Rachel and Ella so that kingcobra could interact with someone other than my NPC’s but since he(?) seems to be missing at the moment, I could sort of drag Alec along without actually controlling him…))

(I guess we wil timeskip then!)

Tybalt was anxiously waiting by the gate of the plaza center, adjusting his mask to where it wouldn't be falling off his face. It sat unevenly since it only covered one eye. Once he was done he scanned the street for his date and for Rachel and Ella, he hoped they had fun choosing what they were going to wear... his girls needed to get their minds off the events that had happened the past two days. And now he had more to worry about. Kinlea was causing even more trouble than necessary...

Not wanting to draw attention to herself, Ella discretely came up behind Tybalt and pointed to where the limos were dropping off their passengers as she timidly said, “I heard that Miss Isabeth’s limo is next in line, Sir.” Even though she had chosen a dress and mask that were quite simple compared to many others that were there, she couldn’t help but feel somewhat guilty for wearing something so nice. Nervously smoothing a non-existent wrinkle on her dress, she glanced around to see if Rachel had followed her. In addition to looking for Rachel, she also looked to see if she could recognize any other slaves as she wondered what exactly it was they were supposed to do at these parties.

Isabeth had waited her turn in the limo line with her usual patience which meant that she spent most of the time complaining about how long it was taking, asking the driver several times how much longer it was going to take, or commenting on some of the dresses she saw out the window. She had already deactivated Alec’s recording chip earlier in the day, so she didn’t have to worry about anyone hearing what she was saying. When it was finally her turn, she quickly checked to make sure that her mask was still properly in place as her door was opened, and then taking the hand that was offered to her she said, “Come along Alexander.” Once she was out of the limo, she made sure that the skirt part of her dress was falling the way it was supposed to and then headed off to find Tybalt.

Knowing that he’d be by the gate that was the direction she went offering… pleasantries along the way, “Amelia, I love your dress!” And quiet un-pleasantries, “Mags, did you see Amelia’s hideous dress!?” Finally reaching the gate, she approached her date smiling as she said, “Ah Tybalt, I do hope I didn’t keep you waiting too long.”

"Whoa..." Tybalt was startled by Ella. "Hey... I'll just hang around here for a bit. I think I see her now actually." He waved at Isabeth but she didn't see him so he just waited for her to spot him. When she caught up with him he just smiled. "Hey! No I've only been here a few minutes or so. I like your dress..." He said, face turning red at his own awkwardness.

"I though Rachel was with you El...?" He asked her, before shrugging. "She'll show up eventually..."

Alec

He checked his Mask because if he didn't look good Isabeth didn't look good. He followed her out the car to a guy named Tybalt. He bowed in the present of another higher class. He saw a slave and bowed to her also. Let's get this over with. His memory flashed back to to that slave shop owner. If I go back I'll get killed. Better do my best.