lycrawaterz14

Of Slaves and Royals

At first Rachel was confused, but then she understood that the other girl was trying to be kind. She shook her head, already fingering her shirt. "It's not a big deal," she replied softly, turning so that her back was to Ella. She didn't have to leave, but the younger girl didn't necessarily want them to stare at each other while they changed. She began to undress, exchanging her clothes for the night gown.

Ella gave a small nod to Rachel’s response, and when the younger girl turned around, so too did she. Once they were both changed, Ella turned back to the pile of clothes on the bed. For a moment she considered folding them so they could be put away, but then decided that there was too much there and would take longer than Tybalt had wanted to stay up, and longer than Rachel could stay up. With that thought, she gave Rachel a small smile as she started to stuff the clothes in the dresser drawers. “What do you say we take care of these properly tomorrow, okay?”

((Sorry kingcobra, will post with Isabeth tomorrow.))

Tybalt was sitting just beside the door, quite content. He was listening to music on his phone, which was something he did only on occasion. He just didn't have time for things like that it seemed.

Rachel rubbed her eyes with the heels of her palms, looking over the clothes. She didn't expect Ella to start shoving them back in the drawer, and therefore blinked in surprise. "Oh- okay," she agreed with a nod, wanting to just fall into bed.

Without another word, Isabeth turned and started walking home. At first, she started at a brisk walk, but only did so for a short time before going down to a slower pace. Coming around the gate into the driveway, she was disappointed to see police cars, but not surprised. “You are to stay with me until I say otherwise,” she said as she started up the driveway. Clearly, someone in the house had seen them approaching, for they weren’t quite halfway up the driveway when the front door burst open and Isabeth’s parents rushed out; followed by the police chief and a couple officers. A grandmotherly looking slave had also come out, but she remained at the door.

Isabeth ran into her mother’s outstretched arms, and then her father wrapped his arms around both her and her mother. Being held by both her parents, she almost gave in to the desire to just start bawling out all the horrible things that had happened, but she knew that she couldn't. As it was, she gave a couple sobs before pulling herself together and saying, “I’m fine really.” Straightening, she looked around at the police, then back to her father, and then leaned into her mother’s shoulder again as she said, “It was nothing but a misunderstanding.”

As Mr. Vairmont held his wife and daughter, he looked over their heads to glare at Alec. However, when he noticed the slave’s wounds, his look turned confused as he raised an eyebrow. He was about to demand an explanation, but Isabeth preempted that when she’d said it was just a ‘misunderstanding’. Though he didn’t believe her, he recognized that she didn’t want to talk in front of the police. Interrupting Chief Jensen’s barrage of questions, he sent Isabeth and her mother inside. As they walked away, Isabeth heard, “Sorry Chief looks li…”

Once inside, they went to her father’s study and as they waited for him to get rid of the police, Isabeth didn’t give any details as she was fussed over by her mother and the older slave who had followed them. Before long, her father came in and she could tell he was about to start yelling. Not wanting that blasted chip to record anything that was about to be said, she held up a hand to forestall her father as she said, “Louise, take Alec down and make sure his wounds were properly tended to.”

At that order, the older slave looked for confirmation and though Mrs. Vairmont nodded, Mr. Vairmont looked about ready to burst as he yelled, “Now wait just a min-“ He stopped when Isabeth gently placed a hand on his arm.

Looking at her father, her expression revealed just how scared she’d been. “Daddy, he got those for trying to get them to let me go.” With a heavy sigh, her father seemed to almost deflate as he pulled her into a hug. When he nodded as well, Louise went to the door and motioned for Alec to follow her.

~~~~~~~

Noticing how tired Rachel seemed, Ella thought it was time for them to be dismissed for the night. Giving the younger girl another warm smile, she went to open the door. “Sir? We’re decent if you’re ready for bed.”

Tybalt took out his headphones and smiled. "Okay." He got up and went into their room and smiled. "I'm glad you found something that fits. I guess it's a good thing I kept those..." He just looked around the room. He didn't know what Ella planned to do, but surely she wasn't planning on sleeping on the floor.

Rachel nodded at Tybalt's remark, but was having the same drawback he was. Where would they all sleep? She had a feeling they would force her to take the bed, but at this point she wouldn't mind sleeping on the floor, or anywhere for that matter. She looked to Ella for guidance.

Ella had already accepted the fact that she was going to be sleeping on the floor. In fact, the necessity for it was so obvious that, in her opinion, it went without saying, so she didn’t even mention it. Rachel was in no condition to sleep on the floor, and it just wouldn’t be right for Tybalt to do so either, so that left her with the floor. Fortunately, she had done so often enough over the years that she was actually indifferent about it. Sure, a bed was nice but it wasn’t necessary… At the look Rachel gave her, Ella smiled and nodded toward the bed as she said, “You two go ahead and get settled in. I’ll get the light.”

"I'll leave you plenty of room." He nodded to Ella. He really hoped she wouldn't my say anything. He just... His hands hadn't stopped shaking since the break in. Rachel may have gotten treated, but... Tybalt was shook up quite a bit himself as well. Maybe Ella wouldn't more it a point... If she did... He didn't know what he would do. Probably just leave her be and not sleep. He curled up against the wall on his side and left Ella almost all of the blankets.

At Tybalt’s words, Ella felt a brief flicker of the old fear but quickly disregarded it. She truly wasn’t afraid of him, but looking at the way he was laying, she was concerned for him. Though she was grateful for the offer, she didn’t want to inconvenience him so with a small smile, her tone held nothing but sincerity as she said, “Forgive me, Sir, but you don’t look very comfortable. Wouldn’t you get a better night’s sleep if you had more room?”

(He was. I always get on exhausted and maybe that's why I never make sense anymore. So sorry...)

Tybalt just sat up a little and looked at the blankets. "No... Last night was he best sleep I've had in years. But... If you would sleep better I will sleep on the floor." He ran a hand through his hair. Pleading with a slave, you're pathetic. Afraid of the dark now? he turned red. "I... I can just go. Sorry."

Rachel crawled onto the bed tiredly, watching Tybalt curl up as far away as you could get. "Sir," she said softly, "please. Just rest." He was trying so hard to please them both when all they wanted was for him to be well.

((It was all good; no worries wink.gif. Question though, would it be okay for Ella to have a nightmare this night, or would we prefer a peaceful night? smile.gif ))

Ella nodded in agreement to Rachel’s words as she said, “Please Sir, she’s right. I would sleep better knowing that you are sleeping well. If it will help you sleep well, then…I don’t need much room. Take what blankets you want and make yourself comfortable.” Though she really wasn’t sure how well they’d both fit on the bed, she could tell that it was what he wanted. Thus, as long as he was as comfortable as possible, her own comfort didn’t matter.

(Do whatever you want~ I'm fine with anything!)

Tybalt sighed in relief and scooted until his back was against the wall. "Sorry." He mumbled, and folded down the corner of the blanket for her as an invitation. He was just so tired of being alone.

Ella gave a small nod to Tybalt and then looked to see if Rachel was ready as well. Noticing that the younger girl appeared to be settled in, she looked back to the other bed and tried to gauge how many steps she’d have to take so she wouldn’t stub her toe in the dark. Once the lights were out, she couldn’t suppress the shiver that ran down her spine as she carefully made her way to the bed. Though she wasn’t afraid of Tybalt specifically, she was still fighting against the conditioned fear of what masters in general do to their slaves, and conditioned fears are not easy to overcome. Telling herself to calm down, her heart was racing a little as she settled in under the blanket. Laying with her back to Tybalt, she looked across the way at Rachel’s form for a moment; glad that at least she was resting comfortably. She deserves it after the day she’s had, Ella thought and then she closed her eyes to try to fall asleep. Unfortunately, sleep proved to be difficult for a while, but eventually she did finally drift off…

She was in an endless hallway searching the rooms that lined both sides, and with each empty room, she became more and more desperate. Opening one of the doors, she was shocked to see the two men who’d shot Tybalt. “no,” she mumbled as she quickly closed the door and ducked into the next room. Leaning against the door to keep the men out, she looked up and saw Zeke standing on the other side of the room. “Found you…” she mumbled again as she ran into his arms. ‘Let’s get out of here,’ she said as she took his hand and headed to the door. When she opened the door, Leon standing was there and without saying a word, he aimed his gun and shot Zeke in the head. ”ZEKE!” she cried as she sat bolt upright in bed.

Still caught up in the dream, she tried to get to the door but her legs had become tangled in the covers, and she ended up mostly on the floor with tears streaming down her face as she frantically struggled to free her legs. The only thing going through her mind was that she had to get to her brother, and she sobbed, “Zeke…no…”

Rachel was a bit done with everything at the moment. She barely registered anything as she climbed under the covers and went to sleep, out cold quickly. She obviously felt safe enough that sleep wasn't an issue.

Tybalt had passed out almost the second she had turned off the lights, and was comfortable. He was dreaming he was very little again, playing with the black haired slave who had raised him. He was very happy, but in the dream he was confused. There was something he didn't understand. The woman kept making vague statements... it was like he had cotton in his ears. He could remember what she was saying... it was important! He needed to remember. Then he felt himself being dragged by the arms and woke up as Ella was on the floor. "Ell?" He whispered. She was in full out freak out mode. "Ella?" He asked, and tried to put a hand on her shoulder.

"Zeke,... no!" Ella nearly sobbed, and Tybalt made himself lean off the bed towards the floor with her. "Ella? What's wrong? Are you okay?" He asked sleepily, extending a hand.

By the time she got her legs untangled, Ella became aware that someone was talking to her but she was still too hysterical to comprehend precisely who was talking. Had she been in her right mind, she probably would have tried to calm down and apologize for waking her master. As she was, all she did was pull her knees to her chest as she rocked back and forth, and in an almost shrill voice she said, “He’s dead…He killed him…He killed him like he killed that doctor…And I-I couldn’t…” Unable to finish the sentence, she crossed her arms on top of her knees, buried her face in her arms, and cried.

Tybalt sighed, and flopped himself into the floor. "Shhh... You'll wake Rachel." He curled around her, petting her hair. "It was just a dream." He cooed, laying his head on her. "You're alright..."

((chicbecause, not much has happened, but here’s a rundown of where everyone is ~ Maddi and Sam are sleeping; Leon had gone to his room while Zeke was cleaning; Tybalt and Co. had gone to bed, but Ella woke up with a nightmare; Kinlea released Isabeth and Alec from when she had them kidnapped (for which Isabeth or her father may seek to hire an assassin in the relatively near future; not sure though… wink.gif), and she’s about to discuss some things with her father while another slave is waiting for Alec to follow her so she can tend his wounds. Hope that helps. smile.gif ))

When Tybalt shushed her, Ella continued to cry but tried to do so more quietly as she leaned into him – knowing she’d probably get in trouble for doing so. She knew he was right and that it was just a dream, but it had felt so real to her that she couldn’t quite shake it off. “I couldn’t protect him…” she said in barely a whisper. “I couldn’t protect him; I couldn’t protect her; I couldn’t protect you…”

"You don't have to." He rubbed her back to comfort her. "We'll try to hold our own. We made it today and that's all that matters." He hugged her closer, laying his head on hers. "You don't have to be brave for us. It's alright. It wasn't your fault." He murmured, perhaps even for himself too. Perhaps he and Ella had more in common than he realized. They both tended to blame themselves for everything.

As Tybalt comforted her, Ella started to calm down. She wasn’t sure if she believed what he was saying, but since it wasn’t her place to disagree, she really tried to believe him. Sitting there in his arms, she repeated to herself that it was just a dream and that they all truly were all right. After calming down even more, she gave a deep, shaky sigh and then whispered, “Forgive me, Sir, for waking you.” She knew it had been stupid of her to react that way to a dream, and more than worrying that he’d be angry, she felt bad for disturbing him.