NixAyum

Pokemon Games

For a long time I was a horrible Genwunner as well as a hypocrite, since I never played the original games and owned the remakes as well as all the Gen3 games. I'm glad those days are behind me. Now I'm Generation Three all the way, though I still have a soft spot for the simple designs of Gen 1-2. Doesn't mean I can't adore the well thought out Pokemon of Gen 6 and and the story of Gen 5 <3

Though... I have never been able to appreciate Diamond, Pearl or Platinum. It's like a kid who hasn't really done anything wrong, and I can find some good things in it if I squint... but overall I just hate its guts. I don't like most of its 'mon, its story bores me, Rock Climb is a horrible HM, I dislike its characters, I can't listen to the music for more than ten minutes, its rival team sucks... UGH. D/P/Pt makes me want to punch things. I played through Platinum all the way a few weeks ago, and instead of having a lot of fun playing it I found myself dragging through hours of grinding and long caves, as opposed to taking the actual trainer and gym challenges. I was glad when I finally ended it, and when D/P came out when I was young it made me loose interest for a long while. I hated it that much.

Also, are female protagonists of Pokemon allergic to pants?

user posted image

YOU ARE WEARING A PARKA, A SCARF AND BOOTS. IT'S LITERALLY 10 DEGREES OUTSIDE. PUT YOUR PANTS ON. WHAT ARE YOU POINTING AT?! MY RESPECT FOR YOU, THAT'S WHAT! IT'S FLYING AWAY ON THE ARCTIC GALE THAT IS SURELY BLOWING PASSED YOUR FRIGID CHICKEN LEGS.

/Endrant >:I

On another note... recently got copies of Yellow and Silver! Also playing Emerald for the first time because when I pre-ordered a copy of Emerald when I was a child... I lost both my SP and my copy of Emerald. Since I haven't touched Ruby or Sapphire since I transferred my Pokemon up when I was younger, it's a nostalgia blast. Though I'm stuck on Wattson. I'm doing a full-team challenge, which is something I do every time I play through Pokemon nowadays. I can only catch 6 Pokemon (unless I find a shiny), and I must use them no matter what. No swaps throughout the whole story. I'm using a Ludicolo, a Blaziken, a Gardevior, a Sabelye, an Aggron and a Vigroth. The theme this time around is an all-girl cast... except the Gardevior.

Wattson was always the sticky point for me. I loved Gen III, but I always stopped for several days after encountering him because he was so damn hard and I absolutely hate grinding until after the E4

Gen IV is one of my favorites, Gen III is the best though. I love Cyrus, he was a true genius. He managed to convince everyone that he was fighting for the greater good, when in fact he was being entirely selfish and simply wanted everything for his own. His goals were relatively overused, but they were well executed. And he wasn't silly and misguided like Aqua/Magma's leaders, he knew exactly what he was doing

Most of my favorite Pokemon come from Gen IV, though overall I liked Gen III's better (Except Electike/Manetric, they can burn in the fires of Ho-oh's sacred temple. Or just be incinerated by my Charizard, either is cool)

Yellow is soo much fun, I love the Pikachu animations <3

Bringing this back up because I just got an action replay today, and kind of hope someone here can help xd.png I'm mostly using it to unlock old events, but I'm having trouble with the Toys R Us Arceus... I'm about 80% sure I'm the problem (can't use the PC software, I have to enter codes manually), but all the codes I've tried have given me bad eggs. Does anyone on DC have one they've used successfully?

(As for the ethical issues of AR and all... well, I'm using it, that should give my opinion ^^; Like I said, I'm just using it for past events and fun in the older games, I don't think I'll be trying to move anything up to X...)

Also, are female protagonists of Pokemon allergic to pants?

user posted image

YOU ARE WEARING A PARKA, A SCARF AND BOOTS. IT'S LITERALLY 10 DEGREES OUTSIDE. PUT YOUR PANTS ON. WHAT ARE YOU POINTING AT?! MY RESPECT FOR YOU, THAT'S WHAT! IT'S FLYING AWAY ON THE ARCTIC GALE THAT IS SURELY BLOWING PASSED YOUR FRIGID CHICKEN LEGS.

Also, it looks like she's wearing rain boots and not snow boots

I have been playing Pokémon so much lately, so much my head hurts almost every time I finally turn the 3DS off.

As for my main reason to post here - I have reached the Friend Safari area recently, and realized none of my friends have the electric type safari. I have a mighty need for a Luxio, so I must ask does anyone here have electric type Friend Safari? biggrin.gif

I only play Gens 1-4, and I'm currently collecting them.

I currently own:

LG, E, D, P, Pt, and SS. I owned Firered and Sapphire, but the batteries died and we tried to replace them, and it was just a mess, it was all messed up.

I've been SRing for a Shiny Chikorita in SS, I'm up to 1800 SRs.

Anybody else got a Shiny starter from SRing in SS? How long did it take?

It's hard to pick a favorite gen. I have fond memories from all of the games. Having said that, Gens 1-3 were the best imo. If I had my back to the wall and was forced to pick I'd say Gen 3 is my fav. I just loved the story and the region itself, plus the pokemon were pretty fun. I have a fun way to rate my favorites though.

[B]Characters:
Story:
Pokémon:
Gameplay:
Memories:[/B]

Characters: Gen 1 - I love how different the gyms were and each gym had its own completely unique leader who fought with different strategies. (Misty, you are scary trainer.) Plus having a Pikachu with attitude in Yellow was adorable to interact with. wub.gif

Story: Gen 3 - Having to fight off not one, but two evil groups who are simultaneously trying to control one of the two main legends for 'the good of the planet' and having their plans fail horribly forcing you to save the day by either fighting the legend yourself or waking the great sky dragon was fantastic!

Pokémon: Gen 1 - Sorry, there's no replacing or comparing the original 151. Do I love some newer pokemon more than some of the originals? Yes, but they were still the originals.

Gameplay: Gen 3 - the box set up was much better than Gen 1 which was a nightmare. And there was no annoying pokephone thing from gen 2 which made the gameplay more annoying when someone randomly calls to brag about their pokemon. I was like, "Yeah, that's great that your Rattata's getting stronger. Trying to hunt down Raikou here. Bye."

Memories: Gen 1 - First game I ever got was Yellow version. First pokemon I ever got to level 100 was Charizard in Fire Red. We trained for hours in the Cerulean Cave to get there.

Honorable Mention: Gen 2 - caught my first ever shiny (venonat) in the bug catching contest and I won because of it. Also hatched a shiny pichu in Crystal which taught me you can hatch them. And recently found out that hatching a shiny pichu in the early games is one of the hardest things to do according to this youtube video:

I'm gonna list my favourite gens, left to right being favourite to least favourite.

5 > 6 > 4 > 2 > 3 > 1

And these are my favourite non-remake games.

X > Black 2 > White > Emerald > Crystal > Yellow

Fun fact - I almost stopped playing Pokemon because of Gen 3.

Not because I disliked the Pokemon (Some of my all-time favourites are from Gen 3), not because I thought the evil teams were awful (actually preferred them A LOT over Rocket, especially Magma) and not because of the world's design.

I just found them.....boring. To me, it felt like I'd put in the same amount of work training as I did in the previous gens, but got less back from it; it'd take me days to get Pokemon to even a semi-decent level for where I was in the game, and this lead to a lot of frustration with the gyms (Norman is the only gym leader I hate more than Whitney).

Whether that was because the game mechanics were different or just because I didn't care as much, I don't know, but nowadays, I'm leaning towards the latter, because it was at this time I started to dislike the anime, too.

But yeah, after Emerald I almost quit. I only stayed because when gen 4 came out, I pretty much fell in love with Dialga (and later Darkrai). I am glad I stayed, though.

Edited by CharonDusk

Well, after the announcement from Nintendo the other day, is anyone disappointed that Crystal isn't making a return with Gold and Silver? I had hoped it would be coming back because out of those 3, Crystal was by far my favorite one. Otherwise, I am so happy they are coming back!!!

I want to re-play one of my pokemon games, but I'm not sure which one. Definitely thinking of repeating Platinum, since it brings back so many wonderful memories. But I also have Soul Silver and ORAS tempting me...

WHO LOVES HOENN!!! DA BEST MUSIC IN POKEMON HISTORY IN HOENN!!!!!!!!!!!

~Eggspam removed~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Turns out I was right about why Crystal was being held back- they reimplemented the GS ball into the game. You know what that means? Legal shiny Celebi.

Good heavens, how one person can be so stupid. Somehow I got into my head that I MUST super train every single pokemon I'm going to use in my in-game team through Alpha Sapphire, even if it's completely unnecessary as the Gen 6 games are really easy. And I keep changing my mind on what I feel like using in my team, so I'm spending weeks on just mindlessly grinding through Super Training instead of, y'know, progressing through the story. :rolleyes: Ugh.

So right now I'm training up Latias (lucked out and got just the perfect nature for her!) and re-training my Sceptile for the third time now, because the last two times I got stupid and didn't realize Sceptile's better with physical attacks. Sure its special attack stat is higher, but good heavens, have you seen how many special moves it can learn compared to the physical side of its movepool?!

I was hardcore obsessed with Pokémon from the ages of 4-12. I've played all of the gens but irl has definitely gotten in the way of my playing. :( I was so obsessed as a child, though, that that's all I would do all day. My favorite games were Gold, Ruby, and Diamond. Gold has about 500 hrs, Ruby has 999. Diamond has about 700 hrs (I played diamond with a friend and raced her to the end :) ) I remember having a slumber party where we both raced to catch Cresselia and the other migrating one... Mesprit? I transferred my Ruby version Pokemon up to my Sun and Moon games. My Gold version, unfortunately, the battery ran dry so I lost my favorite Pokémon of all time... Killer the Typhlosion. And since "killer" isn't an acceptable name anymore (:rolleyes:) I can't ever have another one.

I've caught a few shinies in my day and age (and cheated a could as well lol). I caught a shiny Metapod in Gold, a shiny Mr. Mime in Silver (got it from the game corner in Kanto), a shiny Makuhita in Ruby, and a shiny Bidoof in Diamond (lol I know). I've gotten a lot of shinies thru chain fishing and those friend things or whatever they are. I really need to get a Switch.

From the ages of 4-9 I used to eyeball and draw my Pokémon cards into a little composition notebook and act like it was my own Pokédex. 

Pix here

I mean I had to have spend thousands of hours on it. I have a second one as well that I did around 10 years old, but it isn't as in-depth. One of my most prized possessions by far.

I also have a pretty extensive collection of cards.

Since this appears to be the thread for the older pokémon games... I've only played gens II, IV, and III (in that order) plus Pinball and two of the ranger games. My experience with Gold was kind of goofy, since I got my brother's cartridge after he was done with it and the battery had died in the interim, so I kept it on and plugged in to attempt to play through it. Every time somebody turned it off for me I lost my save file, so I lost a lot of good pokémon and never made it to Indigo Plateau. Still, I have a preference for the pokémon that are native to the Jhoto region.

Recently I was putting together a new team for the Gen IV (Soul Silver) battle tower, and I've decided to train up a metagross. I got a beldum with a jolly nature (IVs 20/20/31/13-/26/22+) that I've decided is good enough, but now I'm overthinking how to allocate EVs. Any advice?

I began playing in Generation 4, and really enjoyed the games up until Generation 7, playing spin-offs as well as main releases. I felt a general quality drop in Generation 6, but Generation 7 I felt was really getting dumbed down, lacking features, and uninspired. Though arguably Gamefreak had been somewhat unwilling to experiment for a long time before that.

I assume everyone here knows the controversies about the newer games, so I won't repeat them. I'm disappointed by how lazy, uninspired, and frankly greedy Gamefreak's become. I honestly don't think I'll ever buy a Pokemon game again.

I love the starter designs for S/V. The legendaries… feel like Digimon rather than Pokemon. It’s the shape and over-detailing I think. If they are truly motorbikes, though, I will find it more respectable xD

After seeing all the negative reviews and glitches in scarlet violet, I decided to just do a run of Sapphire instead. 5 badges in right now with a Swampert, Lombre, Manectric, and Altaria. 

10 hours ago, snaz said:

After seeing all the negative reviews and glitches in scarlet violet, I decided to just do a run of Sapphire instead. 5 badges in right now with a Swampert, Lombre, Manectric, and Altaria. 

To be quite honest, as someone who's about 1/3rd of the way through Violet (and actually bothering to grind now for reasons), outside of the bugs and glitches and such the games are genuinely good.  Like, they don't have last gen's issue of "excuse plot with no character development" but instead have BOTH plot and lots of reasonably rounded characters.  They have loads of pokemon to collect to complete your dex, but usually it's easy to find most of them and I'm pretty sure catch rates were tweaked, too, because I've gotten way too many successful turn 1 captures and critical captures to be just coincidence.  The world is huge and open but largely avoids feeling empty, there's various objects and locations of interest to find and explore wherever you might go.

But the problem is, all these good points are competing with some pretty bad negatives.  Pokemon spawn rates and patterns are erratic to the point you can cruise around for ages looking for what should be a common spawn and find none, or you find way more of a type you have no use for.  This creates wonkiness both in navigating (if you're trying to avoid encounters to speed through a zone) and in battles, because the fact that you battle right there on the field means that other wild pokemon can wander right up to your character while you're engaged in battle and immobile, thus forcing you immediately into another battle as soon as the first one ends.  (Heaven help you if this happens to you right smack in the middle of a group of 'mons with aggressive AI...)  There's tons of features to streamline raising pokemon, from everyone in your party getting exp from all battles to auto battling, but there's no options to toggle various 'features' OFF if you don't want to use them, and pokemon don't evolve from leveling up via auto battles.

I could go on, but really the most frustrating part is that the game has so much potential, and so many honest to goodness great parts, that the fact that it feels so unfinished and sloppy around the edges makes it MORE disappointing than it would otherwise.  I can forgive a few rough patches in a mediocre game, but seeing a game that could have been great so hamstrung by what was clearly rushed productive and release?  THAT just makes it so much worse.

Yeah, I mean it's a pokemon game, so I don't doubt it's fun haha. I guess my turn off is that I already have so many pokemon games that I've been collecting since I was a kid that did the formula so well. I'd say I might be burnt out but I'm still playing the games, just not the last couple main series ones. I did enjoy Legends quite a bit, but never played sword shield or ultra sun ultra moon. For me right now, I feel they kinda had it right years ago and since I already have those games, I'm not sure how I could justify spending another $60 on a new game that's the same as the ones I have but with so many frustrations that people playing them seem to have.

Maybe in a few moths they'll patch out the glitches and I could see it being worth my time and money. For now, my friends and I are having a great time playing through Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald and building teams that we'll be battling against each other with over shoddy battle (or whatever the current iteration of that is, I don't remember the name) at the end. Bring back set style battling in the single player mode and I will consider it hahaha

Oh yeah, I just mean that if it weren't for those issues the games absolutely WOULD be worth getting.  At least, if you were ever the kind to stop and think "man wouldn't it be awesome if it were pokemon but in full 3D like [insert game here]?"

The problem with patching it though is that it'd be too little too late.  Too late because anyone who waits until then will have missed out on any bonus content (flying pikachu, special charizard, etc) from early in the release, as well as being behind all their friends in progress.   Too little because some of the issues are so fundamental in the game that I don't think a patch could fix it, it would require changing way too much.

It's quite sad, really, because these games could have been amazing otherwise.