LadyNightshade

Fire Emblem

So I saw no board for the Fire Emblem series, so there is one now biggrin.gif

So for those of you who don't know, Fire Emblem is a series of Tactical Role Play Games. It has all your typical classes of mage, knight, warrior, etc, and a few unique ones (I'm personally fond of any of the winged mounts - pegasus knight, wyvern rider, etc.).

It also has a unique feature where you cannot revive your warriors. Once they die, they're dead, for good, like, through the whole game! Adds a little bit of a twist to your strategies and planning.

(Or if you're like me and playing Awakening, you're too afraid to use that feature~ but so far I think the 3DS game is the only one with an option to turn off that part)

They also tend to have really nice stories/plots/etc. to them.

So, post away with thoughts and feelings about Fire Emblem games.

I'm currently playing Awakening on the 3DS and I'm fairly far along. I've upgraded my avatar, Night, to Grand Tactician and she managed to marry Crom (She wasn't going to fall for any of those weirdos and no way would she let him marry that pegasus girl). I've also upgraded a few other of my characters.

I'm not really sure about class switching though. Doesn't seem to be that great of a deal to switch them to a different class and lose 10 levels. At least when upgrading you go down to level 1 but you're considerably stronger.

I'm also playing through Awakening right now (though with the perma-death set to on. Makes them more challenging and has me paying attention to my units and keeping them out of danger a lot more. I feel like with it off I would just plow through enemies without paying attention to unit placement). This has probably been my favorite Fire Emblem game so far, the characters and plot are so interesting. I've played all the ones that have come out in the US.

I've got all the units I use upgraded (that can upgrade).

With the class switching, you don't lose all your stats, and you keep any skills you earned. By switching class you can gain new skills that you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

Edited by shikaru

Aha, I wasn't totally sure of it. I just know I was really weirded out by Sully being on a wyvern. I hadn't saved so I axed that scenario.

I knew the master seal upgraded your class but the secondary seal I wasn't so sure.

I think the next time I play the game or another game in the series (well definitely with another game since there's no choice) I'll do perma-death. It does really make you think of who you want where.

There was an extra mission and I didn't manage to save all my villagers and I felt horrible when they all died (Well they kept running towards the bandits, I guess they didn't want to live), so I can imagine how I will feel about that later on.

Well when using a secondary seal you're switching classes entirely. True, you're starting over at level one, but your stats don't go down. So when I switched my level 20 Lissa from Cleric to Pegasus Knight she gained in most stats. It's a really great way to help build up stats not found in your character's original class.

I beat the game really fast because I'm obsessive and FE is my favorite series since Pokemon. I'm replaying Awakening to get all the support conversations *o*

I always level my starting classes to level 20 before using a master seal. It makes my units super strong. But on my first playthrough I did too much grinding (for the sake of building supports), and it made latter chapters of the game really easy. It got to the point where I was letting the enemies come to me and just die trying to kill Trinity (my avatar) and Chrom. Plus my Gaius/Lon'qu combo just destroys anyone. Same with Libra and Tharja.

*sighs* I want Awakening so bad, but there isn't anywhere I can buy it where I am. >< I've watched my friend's sister play Path of Radiance (I think), though. It was pretty damn awesome.

Yah unfortunately they didn't really make many copies for distribution. I even saw Amazon was out of stock. They're really trying to get people to download digital copies. Which, I have nothing against digital copies but it's just that my SD card is pretty solid full right now and I'm not willing to delete some of my bigger games to make room for any other big game.

I had a very awesome employee at gamestop give me his reserved copy. If I could have jumped across the counter and hugged him without getting a restraining order I would have xd.png

I've mostly been grinding as a result of trying to get certain people to marry each other xd.png

I think that's just the rare feminine side of me coming out going "oooh these two would be great together!" *forces them to battle together always*

Yeah, I'm really glad I preordered (I wanted the artbook too~), but I'm surprised this is still an issue...I know they had a shipping error at first that delayed it a few days and then only had enough for preorders when they got them, but to still not have any for non-preorders to buy? I guess they underestimated how many people would want them or something.

Yep, I think they made a mass underestimate. This apparently happened with Pokemon Conquest as well. I guess they think there wasn't an (American/Western) interest in the game outside of Japan (which is why a lot of games just never make it past Japan) so they didn't bother making many.

(also again, the push for digital, because it's cheaper for them)

I wish I had preordered (for the artbook) but I wasn't sure about my money situation at the time and didn't want to get in trouble with the bank.

So do you have a favorite character right now?

I'm particularly fond of Henry right now because of how incredibly dark and morbid he is - I'm glad he's on my side xd.png

Fire Emblem hasn't been a big seller in the US. Hell, MOST people don't know what it is, so it's not surprising that they made an error in estimating how many to manufacture. I'd pre-ordered a copy on Amazon, and when I found out it was delayed I drove thirty miles to buy a second copy, shipping the amazon copy to my girlfriend instead, haha.

I love Henry! I can't get enough of him. Every time he yells something out for his critical I just internally scream "NO HENRY YOU DON'T SAY THAT TO PEOPLE."

But, as with all the FE games, I have a soft spot for the thieves. Colm, Matthew, Gaius... Aside from Gaius, I have another soft spot for Gregor. His speech makes me smile XD

My favorite characters have been Chrom and Lucina so far. I'm also fond of Panne and Lon'Qu, and of course Gaius because thieves are my favorite Fire Emblem class (Right behind Pegasus Knights)~

Been trying to get my dancer up to useable level, since a level 3 character with a bunch of level 3-5 second class characters is a huge liability. Plus I've been trying to up the weapon levels of the weapons they got after classing up.

I do wish they gave warning that a dark mage classed up to the mounted version loses the ability to use dark magic. :c I upgraded Henry to that, it's even called a DARK rider, and was really sad to see that he lost his dark magic. Good news is that he's a tank now (or as much of a tank as I have since I never use knights).

I think I may have killed Gaius, oops D:

Lon'Qu is amazing as a sword master. I pair him up with Cordelia (she's great for transferring him around, plus as a dark flier she can use magic and does a good job backing him up) and they just annihilate everything. He's also amusing to build support conversations with the ladies because he's so shy around them xd.png

I imagine my avatar to be shaking her head while silently laughing when Henry yells things like "haha yah blood!"

She herself is probably guilty of staying up at night planning out who would be great couples together under the ruse of 'planning battle strategy'.

I made Henry a dark rider too and as soon as he hits 10 again I'm switching him to something else because I was sad he couldn't use dark magic (and having horse makes him weak to certain weapons).

My favorite characters have been Chrom and Lucina so far. I'm also fond of Panne and Lon'Qu, and of course Gaius because thieves are my favorite Fire Emblem class (Right behind Pegasus Knights)~

Been trying to get my dancer up to useable level, since a level 3 character with a bunch of level 3-5 second class characters is a huge liability. Plus I've been trying to up the weapon levels of the weapons they got after classing up.

I do wish they gave warning that a dark mage classed up to the mounted version loses the ability to use dark magic. :c I upgraded Henry to that, it's even called a DARK rider, and was really sad to see that he lost his dark magic. Good news is that he's a tank now (or as much of a tank as I have since I never use knights).

Like...you never use knights as in the Cavalier class (Paladins, Great Knights), or the knights as in the Knight class (Knights and Generals)?

I am a Cavalier/Paladin ADDICT. In Sacred Stones I used Franz and Amelia like no tomorrow, occasionally Seth and Forde, too. Never axe users in that game. The only ax users I've ever grown a soft spot for are Hector and Vaike. Libra is close, but I just have trouble getting him to be a tank /weeps

On the flip side, I also like mages. I really like mages. Artur and Lute are staples in my SS team. And Tharja is a BEAST. I don't care what anyone says about her, she's a TANK. As is Lissa, when turned Sage. I also made Trinity, the avatar in my first playthrough, focus more on magic. Definitely beastly on the magic front. I admittedly didn't use Henry, but I'm changing that in my second go around.

I always have a Swordmaster and Assassin on my team, too. I turned Joshua into an Assassin (he's recommended to be a Swordmaster). I...tend to really love fast, heavy hitters. So lots of sword, lance, and magic users...

I have never used the Knights or Generals. Ever.

I'mjustreallygladtohavepeopletonerdoutaboutFireEmblemwithyouhavenoidea ;;

Like...you never use knights as in the Cavalier class (Paladins, Great Knights), or the knights as in the Knight class (Knights and Generals)?

I am a Cavalier/Paladin ADDICT. In Sacred Stones I used Franz and Amelia like no tomorrow, occasionally Seth and Forde, too. Never axe users in that game. The only ax users I've ever grown a soft spot for are Hector and Vaike. Libra is close, but I just have trouble getting him to be a tank /weeps

On the flip side, I also like mages. I really like mages. Artur and Lute are staples in my SS team. And Tharja is a BEAST. I don't care what anyone says about her, she's a TANK. As is Lissa, when turned Sage. I also made Trinity, the avatar in my first playthrough, focus more on magic. Definitely beastly on the magic front. I admittedly didn't use Henry, but I'm changing that in my second go around.

I always have a Swordmaster and Assassin on my team, too. I turned Joshua into an Assassin (he's recommended to be a Swordmaster). I...tend to really love fast, heavy hitters. So lots of sword, lance, and magic users...

I have never used the Knights or Generals. Ever.

I'mjustreallygladtohavepeopletonerdoutaboutFireEmblemwithyouhavenoidea ;;

Knights/Generals. They're too slow D: I like using peg knights/thieves/swordmasters, so I always end up with the knights lagging behind and not getting experience, so I stop using them once I have more characters. I haven't been using the healers you get at first (Lissa and the troubadour) this run either (though I usually use the first healer in Fire Emblem games), but I've got Anna and Cordelia now using staves.

I generally don't use axe-wielders that are wyvern riders. They take far too much damage early on and I never have the patience to get them to hp-tank levels. I use some cavalier/paladins, but I generally prefer the flying mounted units.

I don't use Knights/Generals because they look weird in this game xd.png (Best reason ever).

I've got one wyvern lord - Cherche - and Fredrick ended up as one but will be switching to something else soon. They're both very powerful in attacking but they have bad defense.

I love Tharja, she's so weird xd.png Her support convo is funny because she avidly stalks the avatar and they have to come to grips with that.

I think my core group is mostly Non-Knight sword/lance wielders, pegasus-riders (of varying sort) and mages. Mages are especially great for attacking through walls.

I use Lissa for big battles only as a HP restorer but I've been working on her axe level as a war cleric and she's starting to get some attack in her so she's not totally useless if someone thinks to attack her.

I'm a sucker for Lissa XD I love love LOVE her.

Also, if you never used Natasha in Sacred Stones, you're missing out on one HELL of a Valkyrie.

I realized that I got Lon'Qu's luck and skill so high that just about every blow he was dishing out was a critical hit.

And why did they make Wyvern Riders ax wielders ._. Really, I think it's a terrible decision. then again, I was spoiled in Sacred Stones by Cormag, who used lances primarily (Wyvern Knight Cormag is a TANK with the Fili Shield).

Please go buy this game ;; it's so worth it (when you can find it XD;)

I managed to download the demo of Awakening after I saw the game at a local K-Mart. -__- I should've got it while I was there... On a side note, I also have Sacred Stones, Shadow Dragon (I'm surprised Marth managed to get a remake of the games he was in), and Path of Radiance (got stuck on Ashnard, though... That guy is a royal pain in the...). I'm pretty far behind in getting the Fire Emblem games, it seems. xd.png

demo= Epicness. But demo is so limited :C Those Risen guys coming out of that portal.... WEIRD. But it's cool. Except that Lissa can only heal....

Later on you can change her class so she can do more than heal though!

Right now I have her as a valkyrie (got bored as war cleric, wasn't leveling her axe skills enough) so she can use magic along with healing. Makes her a lot more useful. (she also later gets a huge healing range so if you're like me and fight first ask questions later, it's good to have a little back up)

I switched Henry over to sorcerer so he could get his dark magic skills back and also he is no longer weak to horses (horse killing skills) so that's a plus.

I always feel weird though when I switch to and fro with mounted classes. It's like, where did the horse/wyvern come from/go?

So I'm actually only at chapter 19 because with school I don't want to start big battles so I end up just fighting a ton of risen and summoned people.

I'm only on chapter 18 because I've been trying to get Olivia up in levels by fighting random risen/summoned characters/streetpass teams from walking around campus.

I've also been trying to up the support levels of characters to try to unlock more of those paralogues.

Am I the only one who's beaten Awakening?

I recently found out there was another GBA game for the series, the prequel to Flaming Sword. I need to track it down, because dammit I am on a MISSION to play every FE game. I don't own Path of Radiance or Radiant Dawn, either, so I have to hunt those down used...and they aren't cheap. -sob-

But I'm never fond of dancers. Granted, I'm glad they gave Olivia a sword so she can kind of defend herself, but otherwise I'm so strong I don't need to move a unit again...

So what are you guy's favorite skills? Lethality is mine as far as visual representation (it's STRIKING, pardon the pun haha), but Astral Strike and Libra's Restoration is pretty awesome (it heals your HP by 30% at the start of each turn, making him less of a liability due to his low defenses).

I've got finals/final projects so I don't have that much time to focus on beating Awakening right now. ^^;

Technically Flaming Sword was on the GBA too, just never released in the US. The prequel I have had for awhile, but due to my inexperience with Fire Emblem games at the time I never got around to actually beating it (Don't feel like restarting, but I have too few units left alive and most of them are heavily underleveled). I never beat Sacred Stones or Shadow Dragon either, the characters just didn't interest me as much (I personally can't stand Ephraim and Eirika). I've beaten Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn though.

I usually end up not using the dancers after a point, but I'm liking Olivia.

I've always liked Lethalithy, it's probably my favorite skill in all the games, and Vantage. Aether is always awesome-looking. Of the skills new to this game, Ignis is definitely my favorite.

Edited by shikaru

Ephriam is the best! I like Natasha and Joshua from sacred stones too.

I really am not liking radiant dawn much though, the characters are so weak compared to other games, there hasn't been a single chapter so far that I haven't had to restart because someone died.

My favorite character of all the fire emblems though is Lyn.

And I'm only on chapter 7 of awakening, school and all, I still need to play shadow dragon, I have no idea where I am on that game, so I'll probably have to restart it. I also bought the fire emblem 3ds, and was a little upset that it did not come with a physical copy of the game.

Edited by water_angel

Ephriam is the best! I like Natasha and Joshua from sacred stones too.

I really am not liking radiant dawn much though, the characters are so weak compared to other games, there hasn't been a single chapter so far that I haven't had to restart because someone died.

My favorite character of all the fire emblems though is Lyn.

And I'm only on chapter 7 of awakening, school and all, I still need to play shadow dragon, I have no idea where I am on that game, so I'll probably have to restart it.

Just curious, but how far into Radiant Dawn? I found the opposite to be true, after a point my characters all felt near unstoppable. The characters definitely feel overly weak in the beginning, but at a point they felt like they ramped up in power very quickly to me.

Lyn is awesome indeed~