esnym

Ethical Relativism

No, that rule does not apply to every thinking human. There are plenty of things I would not do, even if I stood to gain from them without any realistic potential of loss. Why? Because they would be wrong.

You fail to understand the concept of gain vs loss, if there are things you wouldnt do coz they're wrong in your opinion, then the gain from such action would be lesser than the loss of the so called principles (whichever psychological/emotional component is present in said situation).... subjectively you would lose more than you would gain and that is why you wouldnt do it...

For example, I believe that taking ones life is wrong, however I would kill an innocent baby if it meant saving my sister's life simply coz subjectively the gain (my sister's life) is more important to me than the "loss" of my morality... If you say you wouldnt kill an innocent baby to save your sister (assuming you have one) it just means that your morality is more important to you than your sisters life... Subjectively every thinking human will do the "gain vs loss" equation and act accordingly, hence its an universal rule for all thinking humans....

Edited by The Evil Doer

It seems as if German Would differ more strictly between Morals and ethics, if so that Would explain some confusing turns in this discussion.

I Wonder, well the People Here that belive in absolute ethical/Moral Standard, what Would these absolutes be? Are you with Kant, who Said what you do shall always be fit to serve as an absolute Standard? ANd later Said that his Freedom ends Where ist begins to Limit the Freedom of somebody Else? Are you religiouse and Base Morals on the Dogmas of your Faits? I just assume that if you are Against relative standards, you Must have some Kind of Standard, dont you?

We had a discussion about this in our philosophy class and this quote came up which I believe fits rather well here.

“You cannot go on ‘seeing through’ things forever. The whole point of seeing through something is to see something through it. It is good that the window should be transparent, because the street or garden beyond it is opaque. How if you saw through the garden too? It is no use trying to ‘see through’ first principles. If you see through everything then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To ‘see through’ all things is the same as not to see” -CS Lewis