Katedj

Tipping the scales

Monica studied the young woman with an experienced glance. She would guess her to be somewhere in her mid-twenties, and definitely at least part Japanese. Monica's smile grew naturally when Ever attempted an apology for the roar. She let her smile fade as she listened attentively to Ever, every sentence revealing a little more about her. Her voice was fairly even, and her tone was somewhat cautious but hopeful. When she reached up to sooth her dragon, it showed that they had at least some sort of bond, as well as when she had given an interpretation of her dragons actions. As she trailed off Monica picked up the conversation. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Ever. My name is Monica, and this beauty is Erdezeld." She said, running her hand gently along Erdezelds neck. "If you'll answer one quick question, I'll be happy to tell you what you want to know. What have you heard about the Defenders?" She asked, looking directly at Ever as she spoke.

~~~

Erdezeld let herself brush gently against everyone around her. She could fully hear and feel Monica, Pastel seemed to have a natural barrier that prevented him from seeing too much about what he was like, but she could tell the Ampithere was keeping close track of himself, and even partially blocked Ever, but not fully. She sensed a gentleness in her mind that evil people simply didn't have. She knew from experience however, that even good people could make bad choices. But at least Ever still had peace of mind. Erdezeld reached out to Aurum directly, but as gently as she could. "Hello." She said simply, opening herself up the best she could, hoping that simplicity and a bit of honesty would bring out a more friendly side. She looked back at Pastel, cringing a bit inwardly at his unmannered greeting, but she noticed he looked a bit grumpy. If she knew him better she would have nudged him playfully, but she restrained herself and settled for telling him, "They're fine, they aren't going to try anything stupid. How long has it been since you've really left the island?" She asked, still mostly focused on Pastel as she waited for the unknown Ampithere to reply.

"It's been a really long time since I ever left. When ever I go somewhere, people usually chase me so it's kinda annoying. I do go to nearby places to get eggs and food, but not really travel with others." Pastel looked at the sky and saw some birds fly past. Edited by shadowflash

Erdezeld's curiosity peaked again as she heard Pastel mention the eggs again. Is it too soon to ask about them? She wondered, then decided she would be more patient. Pastel would tell her when he felt like telling her. She calmed herself down and momentarily looked at Ever and the Ampithere once again before she spoke to Pastel again. "So the Nilia who was flying with us is called Fezirmurah, and the Crimson Flare is Gysentio. Fezirmurah is very quiet until you get to know her, but Gysentio is a lot of fun. He can't sit still for a moment, so it's lucky he's fast enough to make up for that when he's hunting."

~~~

Monica leaned gently against Erdezeld. She knew her question would sound strange, and potentially a bit suspicious, but she hoped that she would get a response that let her know if Ever was ready for the next stage of becoming a Defender. Also it would be handy for her to know what people were hearing, how well-known or hidden they were, respectively. So she looked on calmly, yet directly at Ever's eyes. She wanted Ever to have all the time she wanted to answer, yet know that her answer was important in some way.

"That's nice to know that there are more dragons traveling with us. So, where are we going?" Pastel looked around.

Ever stared into Monica's eyes as the woman met her eyes. "It's nice to meet you," she responded politely. At Monica's question, though, she had to gather her mind a little. "Well, I know that they've got to be better than the other two sides. I know that they are located in a city that is not on any map that I've seen. I know that they are lead by a woman named...um...I forget...or I never knew... All that flying had probably turned my brain to clouds." She smiled a little before looking up at Aurum. As she had been speaking to Moncia, Aurum had grunted in response to Erdezeld's greeting. "Are we going to fly soon or will we be significantly longer?" Of course, a question like that would be typical of the rude dragon. Ever narrowed her eyes upon hearing what he had to say, but added nothing. She just looked back at Monica with a nervous smile. "He is much more graceful in the air than with his words."

[well hello there, Mousey!]

Boris and Nova flew along the Russian border, their destination undecided. They had free time, and Nova had wanted to take a flight. Boris ran a hand through his rough beard, and noted the landscape flashing underneath them. Many half-shadowed valleys littered the ground, surrounded by mountains. He mentally told Nova to land in a particularly large one of these, and she nodded. Once down there, Boris dismounted and Nova lay down. Sitting in the tough, wintry grass next to her head, he began stroking Nova's dark colored, bony head. It was peaceful, in a way, to one who had grown up where Boris had.

The sun shone brightly, and felt particularly warm this close to the equator. It was directly overhead, shining in it's noon-time glory. Monica smiled genuinely, her eyes lighting up a bit as Ever spoke. "Good, good." She said, maintaining the eye contact as she switched their conversation, careful to include Aurum as well. "I am a member of the Defenders, which is probably not much of a surprise to you. I am on a mission to round up the people who are interested so I can bring them to the city. I anticipate that it will take me at least until tonight, if not tomorrow morning, to do that. We never force anyone to join, but so far all who have made it to the city have decided to join. I know this is cryptic at this point, but it's harder for some to get there than others." "I like making new friends." She explained out-loud, after the brief pause where she had explained that. "If you are interested in visiting, say "I do too." But if you would rather continue living as you are, say "Then why ask such a weird question?""

~~~

"India" Erdezeld replied. She ignored Aurum's question like Monica had. She knew it would answer itself soon enough. She shifted her wings a bit, prepared to protect Monica in the unlikely event that one of them had a bad reaction to Monica's invitation.

~~~

Deciding to postpone his mission until dusk Ferovan let himself drift above the more rural areas of Russia. Spotting a person and a Cave Lurker far below him Ferovan began drifting more slowly, instantly casting his mind everywhere, slowly approaching where he sensed their thoughts to be. He began creating his own, nearly identical, images of the area around them. He made a shadow shift in the woods within view of the Cave Lurker, to see how she would react.

Ever and Aurum looked at each other. Ever smiled and Aurum just stared her down. Finally, they both spoke. It was in unison. "I do too." She said with a smile. "Then why would you ask such a weird question?" communicated Aurum. Ever narrowed her eyes at him and the dragon let out something between a growl and a sigh. "Alright, alright. I do too." Ever smiled at him and hugged him for a second or two. "This is what we've been looking for all these years! Don't you see? This is fate stepping in." The dragon wrapped its tail around her in a way of returning the gesture from before. The woman nodded to her dragon and looked at Monica definitely. "We both do."

Monica nodded. "Well, my favorite place to visit with friends is Guam. It's very pretty there at midnight you know." "I will do my best to be there at that time. For now I must continue on, feel free to do as you wish in the meantime." She added, climbing lightly onto Erdezeld's back. "I'll see you soon!" She added as they took off.

~~~

Erdezeld dipped her head to Aurum as she prepared to take off. "Time to go, Pastel." She added, giving herself a running start before taking off. She climbed the sky steadily, circling once more to re-orientate herself before she continued flying as she had before in the quickest route to India.

Ever smiled lightly. "Alright. I will try to visit sometime." She nodded briefly and watched as the caravan flew away. The woman looked up at Aurum curiously. He seemed to be thinking. Climbing onto his back, she tapped his left wing twice. "We should get a move-on." The dragon merely nodded and took to the skies, headed toward Guam. But they wouldn't take a direct route there. That would be too obvious. They headed for home instead. Their tiny, tiny island that not very many people lived on. It felt nice to head there. Home. But what was home? What was the dictionary definition? Was that a true painting of what home was? She didn't think so.

"I'm coming." Pastel flapped his wings and took off. Flying next to Erdezald's side.

"India, huh, never been there before but definitely heard of it before."

Nova slightly cocked her head as a shadow moved within her sight. It wasn't that big, she reasoned, so therefore it wasn't that dangerous. No, what caught her attention was the dragon gliding above them. She figured that she'd be able to handle him if it did come to that, but for right now, she just mentally prodded Boris and said, There is a dragon in the skies, if you have not noticed. I have yet to determine his intentions. Boris nodded as he spotted the Draconic figure, and he dragged the bow he had brought along with him a bit closer.

Ferovan's mind was close enough to the pair that he could hear that Nova had said something to the human, but couldn't quite make out the words. He was pleased to notice that she didn't have much of a reaction. As they looked up at the sky he seized the moment of their distraction to further the illusion on the ground, bringing his mind yet a step closer to theirs. He could hear the Cave Lurker's distinct voice as he sentence finished, so he began by causing Boris to see a flicker of movement within the woods, then by imitating the Female Lurker's voice to Boris. "I noticed a shadow move a moment ago as well." He added, hoping that now he would hear the mans voice.

~~~

Monica rested herself on Erdezeld's back. It was exhausting to recruit people, but in order to succeed they would need every person who could to fight. She closed her eyes for a moment, Erdezeld flew so smoothly sometimes that it was tempting to just fall asleep. She shook her head, settling herself into a more alert position, scanning the skies. It wasn't long before she spotted a familiar crimson flash. A cheery voice entered her mind. "I was wondering when you would get here. I tracked Shobana down and talked to her. She will join, she is waiting with me here at the border." Monica smiled as she listened to Gystentio. He was determinedly happy, but he loved having all of these tasks to do and getting them done as fast as he could. "Good work, my friend." Monica replied.

~~~

Erdezeld tipped her head a bit. "India is an interesting place. It is loaded with people, but there aren't too many dragons there. It has changed a lot recently though, because it's a main battlefield for the other two sides. It looks more depressing every year." She said, saddened by the thought of all of the dying people there.

"These wars are pretty pointless. Seriously, why can't they make an agreement of some sorts instead of killing every single dragon out there. Geez, do they really need to do all of that?"

Boris grunted his affirmative, and stood up, grabbing his bow in the process. He came out here for some hunting, so he might as well get started. He drew an arrow, and approached the glade that he had spotted the shadow in. Hopefully, it was some large game, not the half starved, stringy deer that populated the more northern regions of Russia that he had grown up in. He reached the trees, but didn't notice anything within. Nor did he see any sign that any sort of animal had been anywhere nearby. The trees remained undisturbed, the branches unbroken. Not even breeze disturbed the leaves. Boris looked up at the Dragon that flew above suspiciously, sure that it was the cause of the whole commotion.

The night sky was clear and starry tonight, a cool night breeze gently flowing through the wind as passed through Aura's auburn hair, making her shiver a bit from the coolness. Azura didn't seem to mind the cool breeze, rather she enjoyed feeling it flow through her wings. Her bright silverish markings stood out in the darkness, the moon's light shining down on them.

"So where are we headed for tonight?" Azura asked, not exactly sure where they were headed.

Aura tilted her head, mentally thinking of where their next destination would be. "Well...we've seen all there is to see in the United States. Let's head to Europe first. I've always wanted to see Paris." she said. "And maybe we'll get a few... things while we're there. I need some new clothes."

Even though she was used to living in the woods, Aura still liked wearing clothes, rather than make clothes from leaves and grass. So over the years she would go from town to city and steal whatever clothes she needed. Unfortunately she was almost caught several times had Azura not been there to help her escape.

Azura smiled as she flew faster through the dark skies. "Paris it is then!" she exclaimed happily.

Ooc; Aquila, even though you haven't posted yet my charrie's are on their way to yours, to see if they want to join the Defenders.

Bic;

Catching a steady breeze Erdezeld steadied her flight, thinking a moment about Pastel's question. At first, she wasn't sure she could even answer it. Slowly she began to understand however. At least maybe a little bit. "There are children dying, Pastel. Everyone's starving, prey is scarce. The image of those hungry human children just won't leave my head. Think of how we, as dragons, fight for our food. We defend it, claim it, and it's natural. Imagine you've been hunting for days, and you couldn't catch a single piece of food. You come across another dragon who's killed five deer and is sitting on all of them. You ask for some and they won't give it to you because they are going to need it. But they've taken more than their fair share. The whole world is like that now. Everyone is in the fight to survive, maybe hoard a little food or take a little hoarded food. It's too personal now for everyone to agree."

~~~

As Monica and Erdezeld landed just off of the Indian coast they spotted Shobana and her white dragon, Altamoriqua. Monica studied the woman who was just a few years younger than she was. Their dark brown eyes met, and Monica sensed a kindred spirit within the woman. The woman was large and very tall, yet not over-weight in the least. Maybe even a bit too thin. She looked strong, maybe it was the way she had her feet planted well apart from each other. As Monica looked at her face, the dark circles and blood-shot eyes, even the way she dropped her gaze after a moment, suggested to her someone struggling with the horrors the war was bringing to the world. Monica wasn't a very touchy person, but if she was she would have hugged Shobana right then. "You look tired my dear. I have just the thing for you."She told her, offering a gentle, yet knowing smile.

"I hope you are right." She heard the weary response.

"For now, all I ask is that you fly to Guam. By the time you get there there should be a Japenese girl by the name of Ever, and a Sunsong Ampithere. They might be coming a bit after you, I'm not sure. But reassure them that I will be coming soon. I wait only for one more to come before I will take you to the next step." Monica added after a moment. She would wait here until Fezir returned, for she never left for very long. *Though time is all relative* She wryly thought to herself. She watched as Shobana climbed onto her white dragon, and the two began making their way towards that little, random island in the sea.

~~~

Once Fezir had left Monica's side, she continued flying to India, and kept going until she reached Nepal. She always recognized this place by the large mountains that dominated the landscape. She was no Crimson Flare, especially since her injury, but that didn't keep her from flying quickly enough. The little Nilia descended gradually, when she chanced to see a small, bright green flash along the ground. She had come to recognize fellow pygmies when she spotted them, so she dove down after it. From it's color she would guess it to be a Misfit. Before she was too close she made a loud chattering sound, much like a bird, to get it's attention.

~~~

From where she was lying along the Atlantic coast, the young Guardian of Nature gazed sadly at the sea. One lonely bird blew along over the ocean, searching in vain for some sort of sustenance. She felt like she had been wronged, instead of picking a precious piece of earth to protect with all of her might, she was protecting a man. She was familiar with her powers over the earth, and they were great, but she had yet to fully unleash them. If Anthony's life were ever in danger, she didn't know what would happen to her, but she refused to worry about him when he was surrounded by the Trio who had summoned her. A dark shadow flew against the night sky, and she couldn't help but feel a pang of worry. Crossing the ocean was dangerous, let alone landing in enemy territory. Maybe they were a messenger for the other side, whatever the case would be, she needed to track them down and stop them. She took the the skies, her powerful wings carrying her easily beside the pair, a young girl and a royal blue dragon.

Paste gave out a sigh. "Humans are just to confusing sometimes. I feel bad for the children there. Adults dead, children dead, and all hungry, I can somewhat relate to that. So what are we going to do now?" Pastel looked at the White dragon and Shobana. His eyes narrowed as he studied Shobana's eyes, they looked sleepy, tired and full of hope.

Azura was startled by the presence of another dragon, almost causing Aura to fall off when she lost her concentration on flying. Aura hung onto her dragon for dear life, wrapping her arms around her neck, shaking from fear. She looked to the side and stared at the other dragon quizzically, tilting her head.

"Azura, next time you plan on knocking me off, please warn me." Aura said, shooting a glare at her.

Azura looked at her with a sheepish smile. "Sorry. I was just startled."

Aura rolled her eyes and looked back at the dragon that was still flying beside them, staring at it. "Hello. Nice to meet you...whoever you are." she said, re-positioning herself as she sat up.

Shobana held on tightly to Moriqua's neck, resting her face against her smooth scales. This was going to be a fairly long flight, but she trusted Moriqua to find her way. It was their first time out of the country together, and she watched the ground disappear into ocean, watching the water fairly mesmerized.

~~~

Erdezeld smiled, resting her head on her paws. It was tiring flying with so much extra weight, especially such long distances. But she never complained, flying was simple, easy. When she thought back over her past, the ache in her wings paled in comparison to the hurt she could remember. "Now my friend, we rest. In a while the other little pygmy, Fezir, will return and we will make our return trip, and Monica won't need me again for a while."

"Who are you calling little?" She heard Gystentio pipe up, landing in a dramatically dignified way in front of her and Pastel.

~~~

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I was just hoping to find out if you were planning on going overseas." Charniruga replied, naturally matching her speed to theirs. "My name is Charniruga." She added, wondering if they would recognize her name. She was surprised that they hadn't had more of a reaction to seeing a Guardian of Nature flying beside them. It was strangely pleasing to be treated like any other dragon though.

~~~

Ferovan looked down, slightly frustrated with himself for not being better at capturing their imagination. They had been picking apart his illusions easily, and he noticed that their minds were fully suspicious of him now. He looked over at the sun, it was getting much closer to the horizon, though it had yet to paint any interesting colors there. Time for me to go anyway He thought, with a flicker of annoyance. It was like he was a cat and the mouse was getting away. He gently pulled his mind away and began flying back towards Maiwan. People would probably be more susceptible towards the night.

Pastel smirked. "You know, with the time that you have on your claws after we return, do you want to hangout and do stuff? It is pretty boring on that island."

Erdezeld nodded. "That would be nice." She replied, shuffling her wings until they were more comfortable. She felt Gystentio land on her head and she closed her eyes. "Oh, Gysentio. This is Pastel." She added.

"Nice to meet you. Gystentio replied. "So what's the deal with that ring on your tail?" She heard him ask, and she could just imagine him giving Pastel one of the most curious expressions ever to be seen on a dragon's face.

"Nice to meet you too Gysentio." Pastel sighed a little as the topic of his ring was brought up. "My ring on my tail is from a two people who killed my parents when I was a hatchilng. I went after them, killed them, and took the ring afterwards."

Aura smiled lightly at the dragon. "It's nice to meet you, Charniruga was it?" she said, pausing for a second. "Anyways, yes, we are going overseas. We're heading to Paris since we already traveled to every place in America." she explained.

Azura looked at Aura and Charniruga. "We're traveling the world." she said excitedly.

"Once we stop at Paris and get a few supplies, we'll go to London, then Siberia." Aura said, trying to think of which places to travel to after they hit Paris.

"I'm sorry" Erdezeld and Gystentio replied in unison. There was silence for a while, as it sunk in more. "Were your parents both Lindwurms? Erdezeld asked, opening her eyes to see Pastel's expression. There was a deep sadness within his eyes, she closed her eyes again.

"Were you very old when you took your revenge?Gysentio added shortly aftewards.

~~~

Charniruga glided along for a moment, not wishing to disturb their happiness. "I'm afraid now isn't the best time for travels to those places. But I don't think you've been to quite everywhere in America. When was the last time you visited the capital?" She asked. She could take them to visit Anthony, which is something that they surely hadn't done yet. He might even be able to make a trip to the city better than the trip to Paris would have been. But she wasn't quite sure how much convincing it would take.