Katedj

Tipping the scales

Ferovan looked down, slightly frustrated with himself for not being better at capturing their imagination. They had been picking apart his illusions easily, and he noticed that their minds were fully suspicious of him now. He looked over at the sun, it was getting much closer to the horizon, though it had yet to paint any interesting colors there. Time for me to go anyway He thought, with a flicker of annoyance. It was like he was a cat and the mouse was getting away. He gently pulled his mind away and began flying back towards Maiwan. People would probably be more susceptible towards the night.

Ooc; IceFyre-I think you missed this (I thought they could follow him)

Mousia-Why do you think that? Should Shobana have not tried to shake her hand?

Cobra-Sure, just make sure that you have her run away somewhere where you can interact with people. Maybe have her talk to Aura and Azura

Edited by Katedj

[yeah. Missed that.]

Boris jogged back to Nova, and climbed up onto her back. Once he was up, he said, "Ve need to follow zat dragon. Zere's somesink going on here." Nova nodded, and quickly took to the skies. The other dragon remained in sight, yet seemed to be headed to Maiwan. The growing darkness helped hide Nova, due to her dark colored scales. Just in case it tried anything, Boris kept his bow in his hand, an arrow notched.

"It is getting pretty dark and we shouldn't stay outside when it becomes night. Who knows what lurks in the dark corners or in the sky if it becomes cloudy." The sun was quickly going down and the stars slowly began to show in the sky.

"You know I don't have to stay here I've made an allowance I've got some money and suitcases and I have you to travel with we'll be all set to run away! Help me pack!"

Ooc; Hey guys, So I'm temporarily taking many of the leader roles. I'm trying to find people to fill them, but until then I'm just going to take them. It's just what needs to be done to keep this going/interesting. If any of you are up for taking another role, PM me and we can talk. But I'm making new character sheets tonight that I'll put up tonight. Tomorrow night I'll be adding my next bits of rp, so look for them then.

And I've made up the three human characters and all of their dragons, they're up on the first page. And with that I wish you all a good night, and I will be back again later tomorrow.

Edited by Katedj

Mawain remained quiet as Nickolai flew overhead. He currently was riding his Shadow Walker, and the other two flew alongside him, in an arrow formation. His destination: the tower that dominated the skies of the urban metropolis. He and his dragons landed on a special landing pad, and entered one of the large hallways, built to allow Dragons inside. A large hangar expanded along both sides of the large catwalk they were on, and with a flick of his thoughts, his dragons flew into one of the fabricated caves along the side of the gigantic metal structure. A genius work of him and his partner, it contained enough food and power to store up to 50 dragons at once, and easily. This hangar dominated the top 30 floors of the 190 floor tower, and was the only reason why the building was the tallest in the city. However, this was of little importance to Nickolai, as he had many other things dominating his attention than some petty acheivement. He came to an elevator, the only structure in the airspace of the room save the catwalk, and stepped inside. He turned a key, and pressed a button, and the elevator shot down, traveling to the underground bunker that served as the Idealist's base of command.

Despite the great speed of the elevator, it took a good five minutes before he arrived, and he stepped out as soon as the doors opened. Brushing off the three secretaries that approached him, Nickolai used one of his many keys to open the door to the Commander's den. This was the main control. From here, one could monitor just about everything, including the position of troops, live feed from the building's many security devices, and it even recieved satellite television in ridiculously high definition. More than once, he had found his partner in here, watching the most recent game of national Football. Of course, it wasn't often that they had games such as this, due to the war, but when it did come on, his partner was there. Speaking of his partner, where was the German bloke? He had recieved a message to meet him here, and here he was, punctual as usual, to find an empty room. His partner may have been a smart man, but he wasn't exactly that good with time...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Boris continued following the dragon, not sure where exactly it was going. Mentally, he asked Nova, Where do you think it's going? Perhaps it's on our side? to which Nova briskly responded, Highly doubtful.

Edited by IceFyr1928

suntail sighed and started packing. He packed gold, saddle, and all of the stuff that Tukiko forgot.

"alright we need a plan. Any ideas?"

(telepathicaly said)"yes listen closley. I'll take you up to the vent and we'll take three three rights and seven lefts. Listen this part is tricky, you need to avoid the lounge and dodge the fan. I won't be there because i can pretend I'm taking a flight and meet you at the fountain then we'll find a place to go from there."

"alright bring me up there."

Tukiko made it up to the vent and started turning the rights. It was pitch black in there and she ran into the wall a few times. She made it to the fan and tried to dodge it but her face got a huge cut, and her leg was gushing blood out. She ran out and made it to suntail. She jumped onto him with his saddle hidding their luggage and her. Tukiko started crying her eyes out. Suntail rushed to the nearest city, Redash and made it to the ground. Sunstone was near many people but no one stopped to help. Suntail let out a yell.

Edited by kingcobra2018

Ooc; Cobra-I'm going to let AuraX13 step in with her charries (if you're escaping the Protector's control I don't think that Charniruga's the best choice).

Bic;

As Ferovan reached the city he slowed his flight, rising slowly into the sky. The night was beginning to settle now, the sun having sunk into the sky as he was nearing Maiwan. He looked down at the city as it stilled it's motion from the day, and as he cast his mind out he could feel the presence of the people he had tried to make dream, but in a quick glance he didn't see them. They must have followed me He thought with a flicker of apprehension. That's not good. Far below him he could see the mighty tower that he thought might be the head-quarters, but he wasn't sure yet. It was one of the things that he hoped to find out on...his visit.

~~~

Fezir noticed the setting sun somewhat nervously, but at least she was chasing it. She flew as quickly as she could, sending Monica a desperate call. "I'm on my way! I'm almost there!" She thought, her wings aching, especially her right one. It was weaker because of her injury, even after all of these years. She could see the ocean, but it was still a few miles away. She relaxed when she heard Monica's voice. "Don't worry Fezir, I'm still here. We're close to Sri Lanka", Fezir changed course slightly, aiming directly for where she knew the island to be. The sun was low in the horizon as she began a sharper descent, she ended it by landing in Monica's arms. She closed her eyes and rested, exhausted by the long, fast flight. Monica was warm, and Fezir relaxed even further as she felt Monica's hand resting on her back.

~~~

Monica noticed as Gysentio left, he didn't tell her directly, but she didn't really expect him to. She stood on the sand, looking out towards the coast. The sun shone hot, but Monica stood with her back to it. As the hours stretched on, the sunlight began to grow weaker. She listened quietly to Erdezeld and Pastel, noting with interest the wild dragons concern for safety. Suddenly she heard Fezir's worried voice. After reassuring her Monica spoke to Pastel and Erdezeld. "We're about to leave." She told them, and she felt Erdezelds gentle acceptance. It wasn't long before Monica could see Fezir, followed closely by a large trihorn with someone on it's back. She held out her arms to Fezir, where the small dragon settled comfortably into the crook of her arm. "Hello." She greeted the strangers that Fezir had worked so hard to bring. "My name is Monica. What are your names? She asked. They didn't have much time, but she would rather be a little late than be offensive. Besides, they would make much faster time with Erdezeld than the group had when following Fezir. Monica rested her hand on Fezir's back, she could feel her muscles trembling from the exertion.

~~~

Shobana stepped back, deciding that shaking hands might not be the best thing to do, the way Ever's dragon guarded her. She hoped that Ever would introduce them, as she didn't know the Ampithere's name. "We haven't been waiting that long." She smiled, expanding her brief comment.

Rajan landed, still refusing to speak. Nilam dismounted and approached Monica."I am Nilam. This is Rajan-" she nodded to the Tri-Horn. "-and Tilak." Said dragon was currently clinging to her shoulder, and she tickled him under the chin to indicate who she was refering to. He chirruped and gently nipped her ear. Nilam smiled, eyes relaxed and friendly. "It is good to meet you. And what you are called?" she asked, speaking directly to the two dragons rather than assuming they 'belonged' to Monica. Nilam detested the idea of 'owning' dragons. It was little better than slavery in her mind, as most of them were just as intelligent as any human (or, depending on the dragon and human in question, more).

Dominic strolled through the city at a leisurely pace, ignoring the various people and dragons who scattered out of his path like so many pigeons. Behind him followed Dregthmor, who glared at anyone who strayed too close with a faintly glowing, slit-pupiled eye. As a spell-caster, Dregthmor lacked the subtlety and finesse of his cousin Zeraiu. As a fighter, he was better Zeraiu and either of Dominic's Red dragons together (though perhaps not all three). Of course, he also lacked the dry, clever, and often rather cynical humor that Dominic so loved about Solaziyth, and it was the Black dragon's slience that made him miss his Black Marrow the most. She would return sometime tomorrow, having gone out to stretch her wings and have a good hunt. Dominic smiled to himself. Solaziyth's idea of hunting was rather unconvential.

On this particular evening, Dominic wore a long black coat. The slight breeze that danced through this evening in Maiwan caught the edges of this coat and flared it out behind him. 'Darkly impressive' was the effect it gave, and he knew it.

You're going to be over ten minutes late. Dregthmor informed him darkly. Dominic tsked.

Patience, Dregthmor. You need to learn it as much as Nikolai does, my friend. Good things come to those who wait, hadn't you heard? He ignored the dragon's soft growl and flashed a smile at a woman selling oranges. He flipped her a coin, selected a fruit from the stand, and dismissed her thanks with a lazy hadwave, all without missing a beat.

After a few more minutes of walking they arrived at the control tower. Dominic dismissed Dregthmor with instructions to send Zeraiu down at precisely 11:00 o'clock. He scanned into the building, unlocking the complicated security system with practiced ease. The metal doors slid open for him silently, and he strode forward purposefully. Dominic was careful to nod and smile at all personel he met, doing his best to make up for Nikolai's causal disregard of any subordinates. Nikolai had every right to feel superior to these people - because he was - but Dominic knew that being cruel to underlings would only hurt their cause. They had to make people believe with kind words and inspiring speeches. Forced subservience and callous attitudes would only breed resentment. Why shoot someone when you could feed them poisioned honey?

Dominic mused on this as he rode the elevator deep underground. The doors hissed open and he continued on his way, nodding to the secretaries as he checked his phone. He waited patiently for it to scan first his face, then his thumbprints. As always, many messages. He scrolled through them absently, more concerned with appearing unconcerned than in what he was reading. Anything important Nikolai would tell them.

"Make sure we're not disturbed by anything that isn't critical," he told the final secretary as he pushed open the door to the Commander's Den.

"Nikolai! How was your day?" Dominic inquired, eyes still on his sleek black phone. He crossed the room and sat on a black leather couch, putting the phone away slowly before looking up to meet his partner's eyes. He left out his reasons for calling Nikolai here, knowing it would further annoy his Russian friend. In truth, he had recieved the rather promising report that an unidentified daydream dragon had been wandering near the city. If this was true, it was almost certainly a spy. Daydream dragons were not native to the area, and they had very few Daydreams in the city. All dragons (and people, for that matter) were required to register when they entered or exited Maiwan, and no Daydream had left the city in the past eight months.

Erdezeld looked up as she was addressed by the new-comer. She dipped her head politely. "I am Erdezeld" She replied to everyone, glancing at Pastel. She wasn't sure whether or not he would introduce himself again to strangers. She frowned to herself, trying to remember her previous train of thought. "I have to fly Pastel, no matter how late it is. Monica needs to get back to the city." She told him resolutely, twining her tails around each other. For some reason she had always found that comforting.

~~~

While Monica waited for Erdezeld to reply, she noticed Fezir's warmth against her stomach. "Always finding more pygmies" She teased Fezir lightly. Fezir had been the one to stumble across Gysentio's parents during a food shortage, and she had helped by taking the little hatchling off their hands and bringing him to Monica. Monica raised her eyes to look at Nilam again. There was so much she didn't know about her, and she was having a harder time reading her body language than she usually did. "Do you need anything?" She asked, making sure that they were ready for the rest of the trip.

Nilam sensed movement behind her and glanced up at Rajan curiously. He shuffled his wings imperiously and arched his neck, gazing down his nose at them. Nilam wondered why her dragon had chosen now to make a fool out of himself, and touched into his mind gently. He mentally jerked away from her, but not before she caught what he was thinking about: Erdezeld was pretty. Nilam smirked at him, strands of dark hair falling into her eyes. She brushed them away, grinning, and qucikly re-did her ponytail. "No, I need nothing at the moment, Are we waiting for anyone else?" she asked Monica, still smirking a bit.

Edited by Aquila

"Sorry, I was lost thinking, my name is Pastel. Erdezeld, I know. " Pastel looked around once more and started to think.

Boris, now sure that the daydream dragon he had followed was going to remain in the general area for a while, activated his comm system in his ear. It was quickly up and running, and it wasn't long before his message was sent in...

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Nickolai was about to answer, quite ready to scold Domonic for his lateness. It wouldn't be the first time, nor would it be the last. However, the door burst open, cutting Nick off. A bustled looking secretary quickly entered, saying, "We have just gotten a report from Omega One. An unidentified Daydream dragon has been spotted circling ground zero, sirs. Further analysis has confirmed it to owe allegiance to the Defenders, one from the arsenal of Monica Reyes to be exact. We await your orders." The secretary, finished with his small speech, filed out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Nick turned to Dominic, a small glint in his eyes. "You know what this means, my friend. Shall I give the word?"

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Boris awaited his orders, but had grabbed a net-gun from Nova's saddlebags. It would take but a few moments for the superiors to be notified, and orders to be sent. He was the only rider in the area as far as he knew, and it was hard to get past Borislav Dombrovski.

Dominic grinned and nodded. This was exactly what he had called the meeting for. "Give it," he said. "I'll have Zeraiu send Solaziyth to assist in the capture. She's the only one I know of who is out that direction." He apologized silently to his Black Marrow. She would not like having her hunt interrupted, but sometimes such things couldn’t be helped.

~

Solaziyth eyed her kill with distaste. Red blood gleamed on the edges of her sharp bony beak and the tips of her wicked claws, steaming slightly in the cold evening air. She flicked her tail in annoyance, black eyes glittering, but leaned down and snapped off the deer's left hind leg with a quick twist of her head. She would have preferred to search out another creature's kill - preferably at least several days old - but didn't have the time. She usually kept several carcasses hidden in the wilderness around Maiwan, but had eaten them all and been too busy to replace them. She'd barely gotten three days in the past two months to go for a proper hunt, instead having to rely on provided meat within the city walls.

She sighed and mournfully cracked the deer's hip with her back teeth, taking care to scrape out and savor every bit of marrow before crushing the bone to coarse powder and swallowing it. The stag was a Red deer, with twelve points on his antlers - a royal. She tore off some of the creature's ribs and crunched them loudly, making as much noise as she possibly could. Solaziyth swallowed and took a large bite out of its belly, tilting her head back to swallow the boneless meat as quickly as possible. She swept her gaze over the surrounding woods and found nothing. With a sigh, she resigned herself to her meal and settled down to finish it. After considering it for a moment, she used her beak to decapitate the stag with a neat snipping sound.

Another mind brushed against hers and she sat up quickly, immediately going into high alert. She ground her back teeth together when she recognized the thought-voice. It was Zeraiu, which was odd because she knew his range and had deliberately flown outside of it. He must have used another dragon’s power as an amplifier – probably either Dregthmor or a Communication Magi (the dragon equivalent of a human dispatcher). She snorted and closed her mind to him, returning to the deer. Whatever he had to say could wait.

Zeraiu’s mind again brushed against hers, this time more insistently. Solaziyth snarled and abruptly smashed the walls that kept her mind closed, allowing the full force of her displeasure to flood Zeraiu in waves as unpleasant and overpowering as her own stench. She had the satisfaction of feeling his touch on her mind weaken slightly as he reeled from the unexpected deluge of emotion.

"Dammit, Zeraiu," She snapped angrily as she gathered her emotions back together. "We’re supposed to get four hours a day to spend at our leisure. Now we’re lucky to get four hours every other week. If this isn’t important, I’ll lock you in a box and ship you back to Prague. What do you want?"

"A male Daydream belonging to one Monica Reyes was spotted at Ground Zero. Dominic requests that you assist search patrol Omega One in capturing him," Replied Zeraiu in his usual bored tone.

Oh. Monica Reyes. This was important. Damn. "Coordinates?"

He gave them to her, and she once again pressed her displeasure into his head. "Do you know how long it will take me to get there?" she demanded angrily.

Zeraiu began to answer the question with what would probably be a precise estimate based on some sophisticated formula like wind speed times something or whatever. Solaziyth quickly cut him off. "That was rhetorical, you grey-scaled idiot." Grey-scale was a fungal infection unique to dragons. It caused scales to become grey and brittle, and was spread through contact with the affected area. Thus, to call a dragon ‘grey-scaled’ or ‘a grey-scale’ was to suggest that no one in their right mind would want to be near them. She felt Zeraiu bristle at the insult and was pleased at having been able to irritate the normally impassive dragon. "Tell Dominic I won’t do it" she lied, and firmly broke their contact. She ate the rest of the deer in three quick bites and growled deep in her chest, resolving to have a talk with Dominic when she returned to Maiwan.

Despite her annoyance, Solaziyth recognized the importance of capturing this dragon. She took off, flying low over the trees so she was harder to see. The setting sun gleamed off her white bones, turning them as red as the blood that still marked her beak. She flew until she was a few miles out from the coordinates Zeraiu had supplied and landed so the Daydream wouldn’t spot her. She alerted Nova to her presence before she approached the two, not wanting to be mistaken for any enemy. "The plan?" she inquired shortly as she approached them, lacking the patience to ask a full question.

Nickolai nodded, and clicked a button on the table next to his seat. "Send the order to capture."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Boris' thoughts were interrupted by his comm system. Capture without harming, wait for backup. A few minutes later, another dragon, this one a Black Marrow, landed nearby. Nova repeated the order to the new dragon. Capture without injuring. Boris hefted the net gun. He'd need to get closer if he was to get a clear shot. Nova turned to the Black Marrow, and said, We need you to distract it, Boris and I will come up from behind. Try to remain out of the way of the net. Nova then took off, remaining high above, nearly invisible against the dark sky.

With the setting sun Ferovan began lowering himself out of the sky cautiously. The city seemed to be slowing down. Casting his mind out he felt the two from earlier. They were still here? And close. He thought, gritting his teeth. He looked around him carefully, his eyes weren't built for the night, and at this moment he wished he could see like a nebula dragon. He began gliding in a gentle circle about the city, it was large enough that a full circle would take an hour or two, maybe more. But he was trying to memorize the layout of the city. Despite it being night, Ferovan was surprised by the level of activity the city maintained. There were several dragons and riders going in and out of the city, even at this time.

~~~

Monica shook her head. "Time to go then. It's going to take a while to make it to the city." She nodded her head quickly and jogged over to Erdezeld, stroking her smooth blue neck quickly as she climbed on gently, wrapping her arm around her neck with Fezir still nestled in the crook of her arm. Her muscles strained as Erdezeld started flying, the beginning was always the hardest part to stay on. Erdezeld soon found her rhythm, adjusted her course for Guam, and took off at full speed now.

~~~

Erdezeld nudged Pastel mentally. "We're going now. If you stay I'll just meet up with you tomorrow. It's up to you." She told him, glancing back at Rajan. As Monica climbed on, she felt the desire to show of her acrobats, but she settled for speed. Running along the beach she gave her strongest flaps and climbed the sky quickly, gaining speed as she did.

Edited by Katedj

Solaziyth flicked her tail in acknowledgment of Nova's words. She had heard the dragon's name and expected a Nebula rather than a Cavern Lurker, and thus was pleasantly suprised. Nebulas were too airy for her taste, always going on about the beauty of the stars and whatnot. Cavern Lurkers, though - they were perfectly respectable dragons, generally speaking. She watched Nova and her rider - Boris Dombrumsky or something - fly off, mildly impressed with how easily they faded into the darkness. She always had to cover her face and back with something dark, or else the pale bone practically glowed.

Back to the task at hand. Solaziyth considered the Daydream cautiously. She could attack it as long as she minded her claws, but that would make it much harder for Boris to aim and he might catch her in his net. She resolved to use force only as a last resort. If the dragon didn't attempt to flee, she'd simply talk to him until Boris got a clear shot. With this in mind, she made sure she was downwind so as not to scare the dragon with her horrid stench and rose into view, calling out a vocal greeting rather than using telepathy. She wasn't worried about the Daydream's mind-power, as her own smell tended to keep her head clear.

"Hello!" she said when he had noticed her, using mind-speak now. "You should probably return to the city. Curfew and all that, you know," she added, acting as if she thought the dragon were another idealist. She landed heavily on a thick branch near the top of a particularly large pine tree, snapping off several smaller limbs. Her thin, batlike wings got sore easily, and she was already tired from the quick flight down to assist Nova. Her muscles were relaxed, but her eyes were alert for any sign of movement from the strange dragon.

A noise from below him attracted Ferovan's attention, and he soon spotted the female Bone Marrow who had called out to him. The moment they made eye contact he was addressed mentally. Inwardly, he cringed when he saw that it was a Black Marrow. The way they snapped through bones wasn't exactly the best for a daydream like him. Outwardly, he nodded respectfully, making a gentle bank towards the tree she had landed in. He listened carefully, then feigned surprise. "They have a curfew here? I had no idea. You see, I'm visiting from the wild." He told her, landing lightly on the very top of the tree, so that it bent down beside the branch the Marrow was balancing on without breaking. He looked into her eyes. "I love the wild" He told her with a winning smile, clenching his gut to avoid retching from the stench. "I just was drawn to the city. It looks so formal and modern. Bare yet bursting. I wanted to understand what happens in that tall, imposing tower. Do you know? He asked, staring questioningly into her eyes.

Sorry guys, not going to be able to post for the next while. Feel free to bunny my characters if needed.

"I'm coming." Pastel stood up and started to flap his wings. He then took off flew next to Erdezeld.

Edited by shadowflash

Solaziyth nearly laughed out loud. So that's what he wanted, she thought to herself. Well, that's one less thing we'll have to ask. She shrugged, the movement of her shoulderblades easily visible. "Dunno," she drawled, straining her eyes and ears for any sign of Nova. "People say it's a radio tower. Y'know, for broadcasting signals and all that. They don't really tell us." she wanted to make it sound less important than it was. Hopefully this Daydream hadn't gotten too close to it, or he might suspect her dishonesty.

Not that it matters, she thought a second later. Nova had just come into view. She was circling closer, slightly above them. Good. "So, how long have you been watching the city?" She asked, just to keep his attention. "It's odd that no one's noticed you before. We're supposed to have regular patrols out here." Nova was signaling something. Solaziyth worked to decipher it without being obvious about where she was staring. What? Oh, she was too close to the dragon. Well then. "I'd best be getting back," She said, and shifted her muscles as if preparing to take off. She yawned, lazily stretched her wings, and threw herself out of the way just in time to avoid the net that descended onto the Daydream. She hovered for a moment and then landed on top of another tree to watch him struggle. The nets were designed for catching all manner of dragons. They were made out of a felxible metal and very sharp, so that the more a dragon struggled the more it injured itself.

Listening the the Black Marrow, and keeping close tabs on the outer parts of her mind, he was frustrated that he couldn't seem to capture her in his illusion. Something is distracting her He realized, expanding his mind to discover that the man and Nova were right above him. Ferovan cursed silently as he heard a sound from above him. He snapped his wings by his side just as the net closed about him. He glared at the Black Marrow. "You're just lucky your friends were here." He said outloud, shutting his mind off from everyone as he went completely limp inside the net. He could feel the sharp edges and he gritted his teeth. I'll play their stupid games. Better than anyone before or since He resolved inside himself.