Rarek

The TerraChildren Saga

((I'm just going to point out that it's not likely for Toraz and Snaok to see both Ri and Sanja, unless they're on higher ground. And in that case, they'd be unlikely to be worried about being noticed by Ri unless they were making a lot of noise, since they probably wouldn't be in an area where Ri could see them easily. (Not that he'd be likely to anyways; he can be a bit oblivious at times.)

And I'm fine with that bit of history DragonSpirit.))

It took Ri a bit of time to notice that his surroundings were a bit familiar. I guess I've been through here before. He thought and looked around. Now that he was concentrating a bit more on his surroundings, he thought that he could smell salt, so he was probably close to the ocean. He hoped that Sanja hadn't started to worry and gone to find him, since he'd planned to get back sooner, but he'd managed to get lost. Also that she wasn't too far from this river. And that nothing serious had happened to her.

As that last possibility entered Ri's mind, he frowned and sped up his walk a little. It didn't take much longer for him to get out of the forest, and afterwards, he could actually see the ocean. I really hope that she's nearby, and okay.

Toraz woke up lazily. She decided to refill Storm's and her drink bottle at the river. Toraz is sick of the funny tasting tap water that is in the building. Snaok come with me, I'm lnly going to fill our drink bottles at the river and I need company. Snaok nodded and got up silently not awaking Nartak. They would be right back only filling water bottles up. So they walked off into the forest towards the river when suddenly Snaok growls. What? What do you smell? Snaok looked at Toraz. I see two people! Snaok pointed at the two. Ri! Sanji! What are they doing here! Toraz lay her hand on her bow and creeped to the side of the bushes hoping not to be noticed by Ri seeing as Sanja is far a bit down the river.

((*puzzes over exactly when I said Nartak went to sleep*))

Nartak suddenly jolted awake, kicking the wall behind him by accident. His ears were down and his hackles partially raised. He lay there for a while, breathing heavily. What was that he had just dreamt about? Something to do with trust... losing it, gaining it, something. He couldn't quite remember. Looking around the room, a thought forced its way into his head: What am I doing here? Quietly, he stood up and pattered carefully to the doorway, peering out and looking for signs of movement. There were none. Either everyone was still sleeping or left while he was. Snaok was nowhere to be seen, neither was Storm or Toraz. He quickened his pace, trotting out the door. He walked to the edge of the road, pushing his claws into the mud. Did he really want to go on out again? Even though he had food and shelter here? He hesitated, pressing a paw into the mud. Then he took off into the forest at a run, leaving a trail of paw prints behind him.

((Sapfire We are on higher ground i forgot to mention it xd.png, Oops RW! I thought he was, but gives you something to play off!))

((Oh gosh this RP moves so fast D:))

While she waited for Tania to reply Diane began to walk towards the inn. There had to be some survivors somewhere. Perhaps small groups hanging on in whatever holes they could find. Was the war even over? Was it still raging in parts unknown? But it was hard to think of people still being alive when she was surrounded by the echos of death.

She stopped by the broke door of the in and crouched down to pick something up out of the debris. A stuffed animal, nearly intact save for a small tear in its right side. Diane stood up and turned it over in her hands. She could see where its fur had been worn down. This toy had been well loved and held close. Where was the child it belonged to?

She tried to think of the last people she had seen before she had left for the caves with Tania. The other TerraChildren. Where they still alive? If they had fled the war as they had agreed then they should be safe enough, but Diane has mixed feelings about seeing them again. The ShadowChildren had not been the most popular of the gifted, save outside of their own followers. Some had associated their element with evil and had treated them as such. Diane had never been able to understand why. Yes it was the Sun that brought life and light, but it was the night that allowed the stars their chance to shine.

Toraz kept watching taking her bucket out. I'll go down and fill this bucket up with water Toraz decided. Snaok shook his head.I'll do it its not like they'll think Toraz is here. He does have a point Toraz thought. ((The one in italics is telepathically communicating bold is thinking)) She watched Snaok carefully walk down the path to the river. He bent his head in a deep part of the river and filled the bucket Good thing I have strong teeth or they'd be gone from carrying this water! He started the short journey up towards Toraz.

Nartak continued running through the trees until he was a safe distance from the village. Looking back he couldn't even see the houses any more. He grinned, flashing a set of white teeth. His four eyes caught the light as the wind blew the leaves, making them glow red and creating an look of evil around him. He dug his horn triumphantly into a tree. He had been healed, he had scored some food off those humans, now he was leaving to survive in the wild again. He continued on, taking some turns over streams and other obstacles to try and break up his scent and paw print trail.

Toraz filled the two water bottles with the water from the bucket. There was water left over with she gave to Snaok who happily lapped it up. When Snaok finished Toraz put the bucket in ther bag and Snaok lead the way home. Snaok went into his bedroom whilst Toraz sat on the bed watching Storm dreamily. Snaok looked around for Nartak, but he was no where to be seen. Snaok ran towards Toraz The little censorkip.gif! He ran when we healed him, gave him food, shelter and water! Once we find him can we kill him? Snaok and Toraz were angry with Nartak for leaving. We need rest. Tomorrow we will go back to the river to spy on Sanja and Ri Snaok decided. Toraz lied on the bed facing Storm. Snaok lied in the covers of his and cosily went to sleep

Nartak leapt down a rive rank, landing in the water with a splash. His paws slipped on the pebbly bottom, but he managed to stay upright. He gave a triumphant howl. I told you, didn't I? he cried out mockingly. Wrapped up in his victory, he reached around and tore off any and all protections on his leg, revealing a swollen, red matted patch underneath. Who needs that? he shouted, almost insanely. Not someone who's wild! He sat down in the water, giving a strange series of short cries, a canirasi's equivalent of laughter. He stopped when he heard a twig snap behind him. His ears swiveled around, followed by his head. His four eyes focused on another four eyes in the trees, glowing red in the darkness. As the eyes moved forward, a muzzle and the torso of another carinasi appeared. At the same time, splashing paw steps were coming from all directions. Nartak looked around, suddenly realizing that in his triumph, he had failed to notice any scent trails or marks.

Now he was surrounded by a pack.

The next day arrived as the sun hit the town in a graceful manner. Toraz yawned and sat up on the bed and stretched. Snaok yawned and went towards the kitchen for two meat chunks. He leaped up on the counters and took two small ones. Snaok headed outside and ate his meat. Toraz you go get something to eat then we go to the river. Toraz nodded I'll have a sandwich and eat it on the way there! She made a prosciutto and salami roll. They headed towards the river and watched them.

Honestly, Mae didn't think they would find any of the other children so soon. But maybe it was for the best? She exchanged a glance with Cameron, to see that he was as lost as she was in terms of what to do.

Mae turned to watch the sky for a second, thinking. "Well, I guess we go find him," she said quietly. There wasn't anything else she could think to do. After all, they'd set out to find the others, and there was a RiverChild not far up ahead. She gave Cameron a small smile. "Luck's on our side, huh?" But how the RiverChild would react-- that was the question.

Cameron smiled back uneasily. /Luck may not be the word for it, we'll soon find out./ he thinks to himself.

They begin to hear the rush of water as they climb a small rise. Carissa circles overhead, indicating the person she's found below. As Cameron peeks up over the next rise, he sees someone that appears to be Ri wading through the river. He holds his breath, trying to figure out what to do before he realizes the best options.

/Send him signs that could only come from the WindChildren./ It was obvious, let him know of their presence before they show up. They had the height advantage, so if anything went wrong it should be okay for them.

Cameron closes his eyes, willing the wind to hear his mental voice. The wind responds by hurling itself down towards the RiverChild. Ri would feel a strong gust of wind, and the water around him would respond in turn to the movement of air.

/Carissa!/ Cameron calls for his falcon. /Make sure you get low enough to be seen. Ri knows you're my falcon, and it would show him we are nearby. Have Faerin follow you if he's up to it./ A small mental acknowledgement comes from the bird before he sees her swoop downward from the clouds, circling in full view of Ri. Faerin follows close behind giving the indicator that Mae was with him.

/And now we wait and see what Ri does./ he says to Mae, hoping he did the right thing.

Toraz eats her roll hungrily then stops. Snaok Cameron and Mae are there! four TerraChildren right here right now! Toraz stepped foward to get a better look. She trips over a big rock and it goes hurtling down to the river below. A big, electric rock that became electric after her shock sent it into shock. ((IDK why but I giggled in that bit xd.png))Oh... Cra- She got cut off as the big rock made a HUGE splash. Snaok jumped Toraz how could you become so uncareful! They both looked over at the river. Electricity and water does not mix...

EDIT: ((Rarek or Wolf post its getting exciting!!!))

Edited by ChocolateIzzy

((Sorry, sorry!! I've been busy!))

Tania frowned at Diana's question.

"No, I don't know what happened to them. But I've found yards of bones and rusted weapons." she looked away from her elder and to the horizon. When she looked back, Diana was moving towards the inn. She quickly caught up with the other TerraChild as she paused and stopped down. Tania had to move around slightly to see what the woman was holding.

Immediately, her frown deepened.

"Diana, who could have done this?" she asked half hissing.

Edited by evangeline5432

"I rather suspect they did" said Diana gently putting the toy on a windowsill. "Perhaps leaving them was not the wisest of actions. Without our leadership infighting may have occured. They tore themselves apart in our absence."

It was an unpleasant situation. By leaving they possibly made their followers turn against each other, but had they stayed the war would have continued. Either way, people died.

"Let's go inside" she said stepping through the inn's doorway. There was slightly less rubbish in here, the broken windows and door sheltered from the wind. The stairs looked safe enough to use as well, although the runner was well torn and one on step babdly scorched.

Nartak pattered to the entrance of the den, sniffing the morning air carefully. He looked down into the den where the rest of the canirasi were sleeping. He looked at his hind leg, definitly better than it was last night. A movement in the bushes nearby and the leader of the pack trotted out. The leader was quite intimidating, being bigger than the rest of the members and covered in scars showing his long career in leadership. He was carrying a large rabbit like creature, impaled through the chest and hips by the leader's massive fangs. 'Morning Nartak. Up early, hmm? The leader pattered down into the den with his catch, stirring the rest of the pack. Nartak trotted off into the forest, looking to hunt or defend the pack who had accepted him.

Tania looked at the doll silently, her expression resembled one of a sullen child, yet it made her look older.

"What of the other villages? What if they attacked out people? What if they are still out there?"

Tania followed Diana inside without too much hesitation. She hissed softly when rotting boards broke under the weight of her right foot. She maintained her balance and pulled her foot out of the newly made hole. She shook her head and made her way through the doorway that led inside the inn. The building, like all the other places, was falling apart.

"I remember playing here as I little girl...what happened to this place?" she asked no one in particular.

"I think" said Diane slowly. "That it may be the same everywhere. If a conquering army had marched on this place, then they would have stripped it clean of everything of worth."

Diane walked over to the stairs and began to climb up them. The inn was four floors high, but she followed the steps to the top. She pushed the stiff door open and stepped out onto the roof.

From this vantage point she had a good view of a fair portion of the town. Everywhere she looked, dust and ash.

Cameron smiled back uneasily. /Luck may not be the word for it, we'll soon find out./ he thinks to himself.

They begin to hear the rush of water as they climb a small rise. Carissa circles overhead, indicating the person she's found below. As Cameron peeks up over the next rise, he sees someone that appears to be Ri wading through the river. He holds his breath, trying to figure out what to do before he realizes the best options.

/Send him signs that could only come from the WindChildren./ It was obvious, let him know of their presence before they show up. They had the height advantage, so if anything went wrong it should be okay for them.

Cameron closes his eyes, willing the wind to hear his mental voice. The wind responds by hurling itself down towards the RiverChild. Ri would feel a strong gust of wind, and the water around him would respond in turn to the movement of air.

/Carissa!/ Cameron calls for his falcon. /Make sure you get low enough to be seen. Ri knows you're my falcon, and it would show him we are nearby. Have Faerin follow you if he's up to it./ A small mental acknowledgement comes from the bird before he sees her swoop downward from the clouds, circling in full view of Ri. Faerin follows close behind giving the indicator that Mae was with him.

/And now we wait and see what Ri does./ he says to Mae, hoping he did the right thing.

Mae peered over the edge of the rise, watching the boy below. It definitely looked like Ri; mainly his hair she recognized. She watched the birds sink lower toward the water, and hoped the RiverChild would see.

Movement caught Mae's eye. She glanced up, noticing a streak of color on the rise opposite them. Small, bouncing, and orange; and there, another shape, barely outlined. Her eyes went wide, and she nudged Cameron. "Toraz," she whispered, her voice barely audible. Now that there were more people here, she wasn't sure she felt entirely comfortable about the situation. She jumped slightly as a large rock suddenly tumbled down toward the water from the opposite rise, scaring her with the noise. Mae balanced herself in a crouched position, staring down at the river and Ri, unsure of what to do but watch for she had never been good with split second decisions.

((Ri's not supposed to be in the water. He's walking beside the river.))

Ri pressed his hair down after a sudden, strong gust of wind blew up, as he looked around nervously. It could be normal, but. . . He thought as he noticed a large, ice-blue falcon drop down from the clouds, followed by a smaller bird. He recognized the falcon as Camoran's, but it was difficult for him to tell what exactly the smaller bird was. After recognizing the falcon, Ri looked in the general direction it felt the wind had come from. He could make out two figures on a nearby rise, and he realized that the smaller bird was probably Mae's sparrow.

Do they want to talk? Or is it a trick? He wondered, and pushed his bangs away from his face. If he did try to talk to them, and they decided to attack, he didn't think he'd stand a chance, especially if he went to them.

As he was trying to decide what to do now, he heard a large splash from somewhere behind him. He turned around, but spotted nothing nearby. Figuring he could find out later what it was, he instead looked back up to the birds, and noticed that they’d slowly been circling lower down, and he suddenly got an idea. Were they close enough to hear him though? Ri had never been sure on just how great any bird’s hearing was. Can’t hurt to try to get them closer anyways. He thought and started motioning to the birds.

Edited by sapfirewolf

((Interesting! I think I'll do one from Carissa's point of view.))

Carissa circled lower over the RiverChild, Faerin close behind. She was impressed by the grand courage that such a small little bird could have. She let out a screech to attract his attention. /That ought to work/ she thought.

She was right, Ri happened to notice her broad wingspan as he looks upwards. But he surprised her when he waves her down, inviting her to come down close to him. Carissa looks confusedly at the RiverChild, since he would be unable to communicate with her as a Volantian. Although the TerraChildren were able to make mental connections amongst any of them, they couldn't cross the elemental barrier.

/Cameron, what should I do? He can't hear me./ It took Cameron a while before he responded. /You can go down to him. I believe I'm close enough that I can patch a makeshift link through me and him to you./ Carissa was suddenly very worried. Could it be that allowing the Volantian Link to be patched onto an Aquan thought pattern allowed the RiverChild to discover how to communicate without a patch? The distinctiveness allowed for each of the elemental boundaries to be enforced, and the loyalties of the creatures remain unwavered. If a RiverChild could speak to Volantians, the WindChildren would be at a severe disadvantage. Carissa didn't wish to harm either of the WindChildren.

It was Cameron however who reassured her. /Ri will feel as though he were speaking directly to me, which he can do already. There won't be any danger of discovering the secret of the Volantian Link./

Carissa became at ease with this news and landed majestically next to the RiverChild. Channeling her thoughts through Cameron, the falcon bows her head graciously. /I am the Volantian Carissa, companion of the WindKin Cameron. How may I help you, child of the seas?/

"I think" said Diane slowly. "That it may be the same everywhere. If a conquering army had marched on this place, then they would have stripped it clean of everything of worth."

Diane walked over to the stairs and began to climb up them. The inn was four floors high, but she followed the steps to the top. She pushed the stiff door open and stepped out onto the roof.

From this vantage point she had a good view of a fair portion of the town. Everywhere she looked, dust and ash.

"There was an army here, but I think they all died. Some of the weapons I found were not the types used by our people. Perhaps no one came out alive..." she said, following after Diane.

"What if we were to venture to the other vill..." her voice trailed off as she pulled herself up and onto the roof. The girl cursed very softly. You could see more from this building, way more than her normal 3rd story "perch."

Sudden movement caught her eyes just then.

"Diane! Look!" she said, gently grabing the other woman's arm. She pointed in the direction she looked in.

"Animals...if they're alive, would that mean out familiars are still around? They could explain what's happened.

((Rarek, I thought that Carissa could understand human speech, because ofthis post of yours. Was I wrong about that? I want to make sure before I do my next post.))

Toraz saw what Mae and Cameron were doing. Snaok maybe you should go give them a message. To make sure it's safe. They will know I mean no harm if you go. Snaok nodded Oh alright! Snaok skillfully scaled down the hillside. He crouched towards Mae and Cameron and between 10-20 metres of them. Greetings Mae and Cameron, Toraz and I bring no harm. All we want to do is bring all the TerraChildren together in peace. Snaok turn slightly to find a quick path if they show any signs of harm. Toraz watched this very carefully through her binoculars she took from the town.

Edited by ChocolateIzzy