Dubious

Additional option for Actions Security Method

I'm pretty sure teleport is one thing that TJ would not consider removing password confirmation for. Note that it is the only one that does not give you action name choice. I use action names, but I still have to enter my password for teleports.

The biggest problem with this would be the INEVITABLE whining/complaining that would happen.

User gets annoyed, like the OP is, with always having to type verification. They feel their house/computer/scroll is secure, so they chose the "no verification required" option.

And then someone gets into their scroll and kills or abandons some eggs. And they immediately come here, posting and complaining about how their special/rare/etc eggs are gone, and can TJ PLEASE return them to their scroll (I've seen that request many times), etc etc etc. Even though they chose that option.

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but I'd rather have a few people feel annoyed by the constant verification, then have tons and tons of users picking that new option and then getting screwed over and whining on the forums. Because that WILL happen.

To be honest I doubt the addition of the third option for 'No Password Verification' would result in constant or any more complaints then before and even if someone did come and complain that their eggs were messed with by siblings, then the answer is basically that they had the option to set the security to 'Require Password Verification'. The responsibility is theirs, end of story. *shrug*

They are responsible for their own account. Why should everyone else be penalised because a few can't/won't take responsibility. So everyone else has to jump through hoops to get anything done on their scroll because some youngster 'might' leave their scroll open to siblings. With the 'Require PasswordVerification' option there is just no excuse. If they opt for the 'No Password Verification' option, then they assume that responsibility and again there is no excuse.

No different then if they left their email open and a sibling came and sent rude letters to all their contacts, it isn't the email providers fault, it is the responsibility of the account holder. The provider is not going to make it so that everyone now has to enter a password before sending or reading any email.

Most kids have the smarts to log out whenever they leave their computer if they have snoopy siblings, if not then they learn it pretty quickly.

Meanwhile, you may have one or two vocal people complaining about siblings etc...but you also have a silent majority that simply get fed up with the Fort Knox security and leave without a word.

The point is, I can be trusted with my scroll. I am not going to click on Teleport unless I am actually setting up a trade, I won't Influence unless I need to and if I make any mistakes, then they are entirely my responsibility. So for my part the only option I think that needs password verification is kill, maybe abandon.

We do need to keep the current security options that are already there, for sure. Just that adding this third option would make operating our scrolls a LOT easier and a lot more fun. Everyone is happy without inconveniencing others...

*People with siblings and people on public computers opt for 'Require Password Verification', their scrolls are secure.

*Everyone else opts for 'No Password Verification' or whatever they want and their scrolls are secure.

Everyone wins. smile.gif

Edited by Dubious

I personally think that things which can result in permanent loss of a dragon from your scroll (Kill, Bite, Abandon, Release) should HAVE to have typed confirmation. This is because a password can stop unintended sibling inteference, and the typed confirmation can stop you accidentally killing a dragon when you wanted to release it, etc. Influence, Fertility, and incubate, however, would be fine with a click-y confirmation, because worst case scnario you influence it wrong, and you can just telebounce it to someone else.

Firefox automaticly enters my saved password at DC.

And i need 2 clicks for action - (i have the action required) and just click into field it shows me what i entered before - choose - click - done.

I only require my password when i need to confirm a 2way trade.

So, i dont understand why ppl type in pass every time blink.gif

I personally just use action names and have my computer remember what was entered into the form, so I just double click the box to select the action name, then confirm. Essentially an "are you sure" box that requires four clicks instead of one. tongue.gif

I do have a younger brother, but all it took was one time with him messing with one of my game accounts and swiftly getting his nosy little but kicked for him to learn better. That said, I wouldn't hate to see other options implemented and wouldn't mind at all as long as it didn't change my current setup.

I wrote a script which I rarely use, but automatically types user info on button press. That said, I support this smile.gif

I support the idea of turning password/action confirmations off completely for some actions, on the proviso that a) it's not the default option, B) it can be configured on a per-action basis, and c) it still displays an 'Are you sure? Yes/No' confirmation.

I definately do find it frustrating having to type my password in (or an action in) for incubate/fertility/influence, especially when I'm doing a lot of them at once, but would probably leave it on for kill, because I use that so rarely and *don't* want to do it by accident.

And regarding siblings - it may be a problem for some of the other (younger?) users, but personally there's absolutely zero chance of my brother driving 3.5 hours across the country just to mess with my scroll :P

Incubate definitely not, ditto fertility. Influence I'm not sure, since if someone influences your egg the wrong way it can do decent damage.

On the flip side, kill, release, abandon should definitely all have confirmations.

Influence yes - because if someone did it without you knowing, you can always pass the egg over to a trusted friend and then take it back and redo it.

For that reason alone I would LOVE to be able to SEE that an egg had been influenced without having to go to the actions log (not least because sometimes if you do a lot of stuff, that disappears...)

Freeze should have confirmation, too.

I'm in for it. As long as there's a clear explanation by the option that it's user's responsibility to take care of their eggs.

I'm in for it. As long as there's a clear explanation by the option that it's user's responsibility to take care of their eggs.

And there's the rub.

There are loads of people who - when asking for help because their eggs are DIIIEEEEEINGGGGG - and we post that their scroll says they don't accept aid so there's nothing we can do, say "Bu where do I change that". I would bet that MOST people here don't actually read the page where you set those options. So they probably would show up saying "but I didn't KNOW..."

The default HAS to be password (or action, at the least) and if you go to change this, THERE has to come up the warning, and it has to be a biggie ! Like "This will remove protection from your scroll, and any unprotected actions taken cannot be undone. Are you sure ?"

Actions I would like "No Password Verification" for:

- Incubation

- Fertility

- Influence

- Splash

- Summon

- Teleport

Everything else should have verification, OR should have the option to have verification on or off.

Actually, EVERYTHING should be a check box option on what you want verification on or not. It's easy enough to code. Just have a page called "Verification Options" and then a list of BSA/Actions with check boxes next to them. And then you check which ones you want verification on. There, everyone's happy.

And to the person who said there's going to be more complaints- There's ALWAYS complaints, no matter what you do. People just don't care to read before blasting off their complaint. You get the multiple people after EVERY Halloween who freak out because their Zombie isn't on their scroll. You get the people who breed more then two of the same Holiday dragons and freak out why the new egg abandoned. Unfortunately, you can't win. Option or not, people will complain when they do something reckless. People still complain that Earthquake kills eggs, even if they themselves verified they wanted to use that option.

The default HAS to be password protected for everything. Changing that HAS to be a deliberate action.

The default HAS to be password protected for everything. Changing that HAS to be a deliberate action.

Exactly. As long as the default is this, then there should be no problems.

I would like a sort of page where there are checkboxes to turn it on or off for individual actions.

Edited by TheGrox

I would really like to see this, but as others have said, the default has to be some sort of verification so you would only have this option if you actively select it. I think there should still be the pop-up "are you sure?" box for each action.

I would like a sort of page where there are checkboxes to turn it on or off for individual actions.

That'd be useful. You mean for switching from password verification to just typing in the action name, correct?

That'd be useful. You mean for switching from password verification to just typing in the action name, correct?

Possibly. Or maybe there should be 3 options for each action - Require password; require action name; or just an 'Are you sure' pop up. Those are the 3 options the OP seems to be suggesting that we should have. ^^

Edited by TheGrox

I could have sworn that I had commented in one of the discussion threads on this topic, but i can not see it in my history.

Some actions SHOULD have pass protections. Kill, Earthquake, Bite,Release, Abandon, One way tele, and two way tele (accept)

Some actions are easily reversible in the event you mess up and use it on the wrong one: Incubate, influence <~~Since influence can be dropped by trading to a friend and getting it back, it really shouldn't require a pass.

Some actions do no real damage: Summon. Nobody will complain if a friend successfully summons. Fertility, splash.. neither of those hurt anything really either, unless you have a low number of purples.

My view is: if its a negative thing that can hurt your account, then it should be passlocked. If its something that doesn't affect the scroll negatively, or can be reversed by trading with a friend for a few minutes, it doesn't /really/ need security.

Option: Limited Security- Only passlocks the actions that may be considered harmful to your scroll.

Warning: Choosing this option may allow others to do actions that may affect your gameplay. Only choose this option if you are on a personal computer where family and friends are unlikely to have access.

Some actions are easily reversible in the event you mess up and use it on the wrong one: Incubate, influence <~~Since influence can be dropped by trading to a friend and getting it back, it really shouldn't require a pass.

I disagree about influence simply because if it is done and you don't KNOW it was done, it may be too late to bounce if you ever happen to find out.... If a egg's page SHOWED it had been influenced, now, that would make all the difference. YES (as I said) I know it is on the action log - but if you do a lot of stuff while not having known that someone else got into your scroll, it may fall off the bottom of that page and you really may not know what happened until it is too late.

Actions I would like "No Password Verification" for:

- Incubation

- Fertility

- Influence

- Splash

- Summon

- Teleport

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...dpost&p=6771987

If he's not going to allow action name verification instead of password for teleport I doubt he would give the option for only a popup.

I think it's best to just give teleport up as a lost cause and focus on other actions like incubate and fertility.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

If he's not going to allow action name verification instead of password for teleport I doubt he would remove typing completely for it.

I dont have to type for teleport. Firefox autofills that in. It doesnt do that for any of my other BSA that i can think of atm, but for teleport, its autofilled. Teleport does give you an option to reverse though, if you are in the habit of double checking your trade type, you can reverse before you ever give the person a link. No, this doesnt prevent someone from taking your existing stuff, but I dont let anyone on my computer that I dont trust enough not to mess with my scroll. They have their own profiles on Chrome, so they dont touch my firefox. If its allowed to be autofilled with a password, when the other bsa's arent then its essentially already doing its thing to minimize security.

I disagree about influence simply because if it is done and you don't KNOW it was done, it may be too late to bounce if you ever happen to find out.... If a egg's page SHOWED it had been influenced, now, that would make all the difference. YES (as I said) I know it is on the action log - but if you do a lot of stuff while not having known that someone else got into your scroll, it may fall off the bottom of that page and you really may not know what happened until it is too late.

It would be cool to have it say it was influenced and by which dragon on the view page, in addition to the action log.

This egg was influenced by (code/name on a clickable link)

I still think it would be ok to skip passlock, especially if that were put in place.