Dubious

Additional option for Actions Security Method

I looked through and could not find this listed anywhere.

I have not said anything for the years since password verification for every single action was implemented, and I was here when it was. But to be honest I find it frustrating and time consuming trying to perform simple actions on my dragons and it actually detracts from the fun of using the site.

Say I have 7 eggs that I want to Incubate and then Influence before popping them into a fansite. That alone is 14 times I have to enter my password...over and over..

Every single move requires me to renter my password and it is extremely frustrating. Incubating, fertility, influencing, teleportation, accepting trades, summoning, abandoning, killing, biting....it all really adds up.

I understand that password verification was implemented because people were having trouble with siblings taking over their scrolls. However, for those of us without anyone else having access to our computer, this process is immensely tedious and frustrating. The only alternative being 'Require Action Name only', which still involves a tedious amount of typing for every action.

So I would like to put forward a possible option that I know that I would certainly extremely appreciate, and that is the possibility of a third option under...

Actions Security Method:

*Require Password Verification

*Require Action Name only

*No password verification required (If you choose this option, you just get a simple pop up saying basically, 'are you sure you want to do that' 'Yes or Cancel' when you use an action on a dragon.) The only password you enter is to have access to the account in the first place.

I don't like to complain, but honestly this has been a major inconvenience for years. No other site requires such repetitive password verification and for users without siblings and people not on public computers it is really not needed.

Edited by Dubious

How about letting you choose which you want password for and which you want action name for? I don't think that no confirmation at all would be done, since it wasn't an option from the start.

So you could have password for stuff like kill and abandon and release and earthquake where a sibling could do a lot of damage, but things like incubate and fertility could be action name since they're innocent, and with autocomplete you just have to double click on the field and choose the name.

Basically right now it's a choice between security and protection against not doing the wrong action. If you don't have people who would think it's fun to mess up your scroll you choose action name.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I totally support this. I don't have anyone who would mess with my account, so if I could have the option to just have an "Are you sure?" box pop up, I would much prefer it.

I do like the idea of being able to chose which BSAs have the pop-up and which are password protected, though. Maybe on the Settings page there could be a list of BSAs with checkboxes next to them for Password Protection, Action Protected, and Pop Up (Action Protected being where you type the action in to confirm it). That way, everyone can customize it to their preferences. Maybe each option could have a 'select all' box at the top, but there aren't so many BSAs that it would be difficult to select them all by hand anyway.

Edited by GhostMouse

How about letting you choose which you want password for and which you want action name for? I don't think that no confirmation at all would be done, since it wasn't an option from the start.

I would support this. Some things I prefer to have password confirmation in, but others not so much.

To be honest I don't see why having to use your password to enter your account in the first place only wouldn't be a valid option. I imagine it is easier to code into the site, then coding for each option. Even my online bank gives me free reign to take action after I have verified my identity by logging into my account with my password.

I can make decisions on what I want done with my dragons and just do them. Having to reenter my password or type in the action name is a waste of time because if I didn't want to use the BSA or other action then I wouldn't be clicking on the option in the first place.

However, if it were not possible to turn off entirely (other then logging into the account of course) then an option to turn off verification for certain actions would definitely help. smile.gif

Edited by Dubious

If it bugs you that much - the easy way is to turn off javascript. Then it never requires anything - though it also means no "are you sure" warning.

as long as it would keep password protection on for things that could kill a dragon. for Fertility and incubate etc, I'm still not entirely sure why we need an input other than an "are you sure?" in the first place.

Edited by dracocharky

If it bugs you that much - the easy way is to turn off javascript. Then it never requires anything - though it also means no "are you sure" warning.

But sometimes, an 'are you sure' warning or password verification is useful, at least for me (like if you want to, say, kill something), but for some actions it is just annoying. This is why I would prefer an option to disable it for certain actions.

Edited by TheGrox

To be honest I don't see why having to use your password to enter your account in the first place only wouldn't be a valid option. I imagine it is easier to code into the site, then coding for each option. Even my online bank gives me free reign to take action after I have verified my identity by logging into my account with my password.

I can make decisions on what I want done with my dragons and just do them. Having to reenter my password or type in the action name is a waste of time because if I didn't want to use the BSA or other action then I wouldn't be clicking on the option in the first place.

However, if it were not possible to turn off entirely (other then logging into the account of course) then an option to turn off verification for certain actions would definitely help. smile.gif

I'm not sure how that would work. Because the problem comes when you're already logged in and step away from the computer to get a snack or use the toilet or whatever and a sibling comes in and starts killing things.

The other thing is, if you had to verify your identity every time you came back to the site [how would that work with switching between tabs and such?], depending on how it's set up you could easily end up typing it MORE times than the number of actions you use.

But sometimes, an 'are you sure' warning or password verification is useful, at least for me (like if you want to, say, kill something), but for sone actions times it is just annoying. This is why I would prefer an option to disable it for certain actions.

I know - but still - if it really gets to you...

I prefer password to action simply because you don't have to think about what you type xd.png

I'm not sure how that would work.  Because the problem comes when you're already logged in and step away from the computer to get a snack or use the toilet or whatever and a sibling comes in and starts killing things.

But that is already covered in the option Require Password Verification

I am definitely not suggesting that this option be removed, only that a third option be added of 'no password verification' for us folks without siblings, public computers and local cat burglars who are fans of Drag Cave. When I get up for a snack, there is no one there to get on my computer, at all.

You wouldn't need to verify your identity every time you came back to the site, you just log in just like we all do right now.

Edited by Dubious

The option for people without siblings is the action name.

My point is that TJ didn't leave a "no confirmation" option when he added confirmations, so I doubt he'd retroactively add it.

I want this, but without the action name being required, i.e. nothing having to be put in at all.

The option for people without siblings is the action name.

My point is that TJ didn't leave a "no confirmation" option when he added confirmations, so I doubt he'd retroactively add it.

I understand that, but this would still be a confirmation, just not a password confirmation or having to type anything in confirmation. Just a simple pop up message confirmation. 'Yes' or 'Cancel'

Edited by Dubious

I'd like this, not having to put in passwords. I use a lot of BSAs (mainly Influence and Incubate) and I constantly log out and log in, so typing my password is just something subconscious I do, but it's annoying. I'd use this option. (Yes, I do have a sibling who knows about DragCave, but all he does is pick up eggs. He has no idea about BSAs, and if he did, I know he's responsible enough to not touch the computer, so I know I'm safe if this idea is implemented and I use it.)

Plus, I personally don't like the action name. I don't mean to be picky (alright, so I totally do mean to be picky) but the names of the actions aren't words I use every day, so I tend to misspell a lot. That's just me, though. xd.png

I looked through and could not find this listed anywhere.

I have not said anything for the years since password verification for every single action was implemented, and I was here when it was. But to be honest I find it frustrating and time consuming trying to perform simple actions on my dragons and it actually detracts from the fun of using the site.

Say I have 7 eggs that I want to Incubate and then Influence before popping them into a fansite. That alone is 14 times I have to enter my password...over and over..

Every single move requires me to renter my password and it is extremely frustrating. Incubating, fertility, influencing, teleportation, accepting trades, summoning, abandoning, killing, biting....it all really adds up.

I understand that password verification was implemented because people were having trouble with siblings taking over their scrolls. However, for those of us without anyone else having access to our computer, this process is immensely tedious and frustrating. The only alternative being 'Require Action Name only', which still involves a tedious amount of typing for every action.

So I would like to put forward a possible option that I know that I would certainly extremely appreciate, and that is the possibility of a third option under...

Actions Security Method:

*Require Password Verification

*Require Action Name only

*No password verification required (If you choose this option, you just get a simple pop up saying basically, 'are you sure you want to do that' 'Yes or Cancel' when you use an action on a dragon.) The only password you enter is to have access to the account in the first place.

I don't like to complain, but honestly this has been a major inconvenience for years. No other site requires such repetitive password verification and for users without siblings and people not on public computers it is really not needed.

/support

I use incubate and influence with pretty much every egg I pick up. And I have no reason to fear for my scroll. While I do have kin living with me, I also pay for their other games. And they know both that I know how to delete their accounts should anything go awry and that I don't make idle promises.

The biggest problem with this would be the INEVITABLE whining/complaining that would happen.

User gets annoyed, like the OP is, with always having to type verification. They feel their house/computer/scroll is secure, so they chose the "no verification required" option.

And then someone gets into their scroll and kills or abandons some eggs. And they immediately come here, posting and complaining about how their special/rare/etc eggs are gone, and can TJ PLEASE return them to their scroll (I've seen that request many times), etc etc etc. Even though they chose that option.

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but I'd rather have a few people feel annoyed by the constant verification, then have tons and tons of users picking that new option and then getting screwed over and whining on the forums. Because that WILL happen.

The biggest problem with this would be the INEVITABLE whining/complaining that would happen.

User gets annoyed, like the OP is, with always having to type verification. They feel their house/computer/scroll is secure, so they chose the "no verification required" option.

And then someone gets into their scroll and kills or abandons some eggs. And they immediately come here, posting and complaining about how their special/rare/etc eggs are gone, and can TJ PLEASE return them to their scroll (I've seen that request many times), etc etc etc. Even though they chose that option.

I don't want to sound rude or anything, but I'd rather have a few people feel annoyed by the constant verification, then have tons and tons of users picking that new option and then getting screwed over and whining on the forums. Because that WILL happen.

Maybe it is because I don't venture into help often, but I could easily deal with it as long as it is made clear you are taking your eggs fate into your own hands. To me, if you take any action like that and something DOES happen, you have no one to blame but yourself and as such have fofeited your right to complain about it(especially as there are more secure options).

As someone else mentioned before. I don't have to do this for my: Bank, any bill pay, paypal, my email, my IM... etc etc etc I <3 my eggies but I don't think they are more valuable than those things.

Action name is just as unsecured as a popup confirmation when it comes to people getting on your computer and messing with your scroll [unless they're young enough that they can't figure out how to type "KILL" x3 ].

Action name is just as unsecured as a popup confirmation when it comes to people getting on your computer and messing with your scroll [unless they're young enough that they can't figure out how to type "KILL" x3 ].

Which is why we still have threads in the Help section about things happening to people's scrolls. I can only figure it'd be even worse if a typing-confirmation was changed to a much easier click-this confirmation.

If you all honestly think that this suggestion won't 'cause any user to complain about what happens on their scroll after they choose that option, then yeah, maybe it's a good suggestion. Maybe I've just gotten too annoyed at all the "help, someone messed with my scroll!" threads I've seen since I've been around, and I don't look forward to more of them.

I'm not sure. Yea, it would make it possible for your 3 year old sister to be able to mess up your scroll, but for anyone old enough to type "KILL" I personally can't imagine it changing anything.

Debating merging with: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=104318

I think it was really more a mix of users making a mistake because there was no security action and coming on to ask if there was a way to reverse their boo-boo and claims of people's siblings or friends performing some action they didn't want on their dragon (which would explain why it's both available as an action name and your password).

I think it'd probably be better to work out which actions perhaps shouldn't have a security prompt than to get hopes up for an option to just have none, and I think this was created for a reason, but I don't see a reason to give it an outright no, as long it isn't the default setting. I wouldn't use it, but I have it set to type in the action and the site remembers, so I don't even have to type it out. Plus, I appreciate the extra check and chance to make sure I have selected the right thing. :3

Incubate definitely not, ditto fertility. Influence I'm not sure, since if someone influences your egg the wrong way it can do decent damage.

On the flip side, kill, release, abandon should definitely all have confirmations.

I'd love for this to happen. I've to face less "security" on my netbanking and credit card site than I've to do at DC. Using action name is even worse, because then I've to type different word each type and when I'm in hurry it messes up several times before getting the word right. :| I specially hate it because I've missed a lot of really good gifts from departure threads because first I don't get lucky enough to find the teleport at all because it's claimed in a fraction of second, if I do find one at all it's gone by the time I'm done with the security deed. Maybe people here have really quick reflexes, but I'm a slow poke so..yeah. -.- If verification is made optional and a person chooses no password verification, it's their responsibility to deal with the consequences of it, and those who do not want it can simply not use it. If people use no verification knowing full well what it can lead to, and STILL whine about it, I find that pretty unreasonable. But yes, having a compulsory verification is seriously a pain, be it password or action name it doesn't make a difference because you still need to type it out. I like the idea of choosing what actions you need verification for like Pokemonfan13 suggested, but save for the really damaging actions like kill/earthquake etc I would really appreciate removing compulsory verifications for at least teleport, incubate, influence, fertility, summon.