TJ09

2013-01-17 - Moderator Applications

I hope the new GD mod is familiar with both moderation roles and the section itself. Would suck if people started getting warned for things they shouldn't because of differing opinions/views/beliefs. Suppose that could be said for each new mod position, though.

Should be interesting in any case, lol.

Should i apply for something?

If you want to. No harm in trying! wink.gif

If you want to and have the time to be a moderator.  It's a tough job and requires a lot of thick skin.  Also requires a lot of diplomacy and being able to stay neutral.  Not taking "he said, she said" as proof.  Being able to look at both sides. 

So yeah, tough job, but can be rewarding in many ways, too. 

I would suggest you only apply for what you sincerely believe that you can do.  Aka, don't apply for EVERY single job - that'd be overwhelming if you became a mod of everything including irc.  So take some time, consider what you can do, what you feel qualified to do, etc. 

One of the most important things of being a moderator is communication skills. 

Hope I've given you something to think about.  And that goes for every other potential applicant (including myself).

This is actually a very good piece of advice. Becoming a mod can/does change how others talk to you.. and may make it a little more difficult at times to walk the line between "mod hat" and "user hat". With our hops.. the first few weeks are usually stressful, because there is a lot to learn, and you are forced to look a bit more closely at how the rules are written, how you interact with others, and how you handle people being mad at ya for silly reasons (not always silly, but i dont want to discourage anyone).

It is a pretty huge adjustment getting used to the new role, and tensions can run high at times. If you know you can handle being stressed, helping others, your work/school/real life and helping out here, then go for it. If you are worried about real life obligations getting in the way then hold off for a bit longer, or be honest in your application. If you genuninely think you can handle your forum life being flipped upside down for awhile while you adjust to the new role, then go for it. If you think you have strong communication skills, go for it. If you think your input could help make this place better, go for it. We have to work together as a team, even between chat and forum staff, and sometimes its a little rough, but overall its a rewarding experience that can teach you a lot about who you are as a person, and teach you new things you might not have previously known about who you are.

Edited by Thuban

Just spotted this... I'm thinking of applying because I feel I'm pretty good on almost all bullets, but I'm worried that if I do get the position I'm going to end up being more of a burden than a help due to family issues with the internet. v_v Truly I'm completely unsure. Reading what Simkim and Thuban posted just above helps a bit, however. I think I'll go for it.

(Any other tips would be amazing.)

blink.gif Sorry for the double post; lag.

Edited by StarSea

Just spotted this... I'm thinking of applying because I feel I'm pretty good on almost all bullets, but I'm worried that if I do get the position I'm going to end up being more of a burden than a help due to family issues with the internet. v_v Truly I'm completely unsure. Reading what Simkim and Thuban posted just above helps a bit, however. I think I'll go for it.

smile.gif

I'm not trying to scare anyone off from applying.. but previous members who have applied were a bit overwhelmed at first, and I wanted to make it clear that its something you /can/ expect. The rough part doesnt last long. Once the shininess of the new position wears off, you'll be back to "normal"

We work rather well at managing around rl commitments and sudden illnesses. Just because you may have limited time, doesnt mean you shouldnt apply. Sometimes I can only put an hour a day into this place, other times im here for a 13 hour stretch. As long as i let my other "coworkers" know things are always covered. RL stuff comes first, then forum/chat. We are not asking for anyone to skimp on the important things for this place.

(Any other tips would be amazing.)

blink.gif Sorry for the double post; lag.

Go for it, Sea!

You've got nothing to lose. Just be honest and you'll do fine.

Applied for help mod. Anyone think I'll actually get it? :/

I do. I'm glad you applied. smile.gif

For anyone on the fence about applying, I say go for it!

Edit: Very well said, Thuban. smile.gif

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Applied for help mod. Anyone think I'll actually get it? :/

Of course! Not everyone can make it, but everyone who applied, wants to apply, or is currently applying should know that they make up a vital part of this community. Just believe in yourself.

This is going to be the longest 10 weeks of my life. </3

Oh yes, I wish you the best of luck, StarSea! o3o

Edited by gistofeverything

Good luck StarSea and pinkieseb happy.gif Everyone has a fair chance, so I can't say whether you'd be accepted (or even if I'd be considered tongue.gif), but good luck to everyone.

(Thank you to Thuban for the two posts of advice.)

Good luck to all applicants and congratulations to those of you whom are assigned the requested parts in February. I can't wait to see more of you around the Forums and IRC. smile.gif

I wonder if I'll make it? If not, I wonder who will tongue.gif Good luck to all who applied!

... so many others applying for help moderator... I don't stand a chance...

crap.

... so many others applying for help moderator... I don't stand a chance...

crap.

Aha this is how I feel... I haven't done it yet, but I may ....

Good luck to all applicants and congratulations to those of you whom are assigned the requested parts in February. I can't wait to see more of you around the Forums and IRC. smile.gif

Generally, reviews take 10 weeks from what I've seen.

So somewhere in April~

Against all these people, I'm losing hope for help myself xd.png I applied on the first day, though. Hopefully I'll be lucky happy.gif

Good luck to all!

Don't feel bad Whisper biggrin.gif LOL I don't think I'll ever get past Level 0 blink.gif as I never feel that I have anything to really contribute to the non game forums sad.gif Maybe you will be eligable to apply next time smile.gif

I love posting in the games section biggrin.gif If only those posts counted :/

TVTD and Sunsteps88, go for it anyways! There is always a chance. smile.gif

I already did...

Is TJ going to choose only one for each section, or will he choose the top few? Does anyone even know?

I already did...

Is TJ going to choose only one for each section, or will he choose the top few? Does anyone even know?

It's however many we feel are needed and however many apps we get and a whole lot of factors really lol.

Also can I just give a huge, huge THIS to everything Thu said? Perf description is perf.

Good luck to everyone! Fresh meat what ;D