angelicdragonpuppy

Allow Alts/Hybrids to be CB

Would you like to have CB Alts & Hybrids added to the cave?  

428 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

While I hold out hope that TJ caves (haha! pun!) and lets CB hybrids/alts be in the store, I support this suggestion and the suggestions for a smaller hybrid raffle or a one-time in-cave drop for the birthday. I still do not understand the logic that these can't be available because they can't be "the norm"--meanwhile a select few people have CB hybrids and alts from cave glitches and from winning HMs. Cave glitches aside, I still stand by the idea that if CB hybrids were not meant to be a thing, then they should have never been offered as HM options in the first place. I'd much rather any of these suggestions than having to settle for "the norm."

Edit: and alts too (I'm using these terms synonymously here)

Edited by Jazeki

While I hold out hope that TJ caves (haha! pun!) and lets CB hybrids/alts be in the store, I support this suggestion and the suggestions for a smaller hybrid raffle or a one-time in-cave drop for the birthday.  I still do not understand the logic that these can't be available because they can't be "the norm"--meanwhile a select few people have CB hybrids and alts from cave glitches and from winning HMs. Cave glitches aside, I still stand by the idea that if CB hybrids were not meant to be a thing, then they should have never been offered as HM options in the first place.  I'd much rather any of these suggestions than having to settle for "the norm."

Edit: and alts too (I'm using these terms synonymously here)

^This. Bold is mine.

I find it interesting that honourable mention prizes are becoming MORE valuable than actual prizes (especially if prizes hit the store), and that more of a stink is raised about prizes (which should, by all rights, be more valuable than a 'consolation prize') being released to the store and to more people than HMs. I don't know if this is just because the prize argument has been played out so much already compared to the HM argument or because people honestly feel prizes should be more accessable to the general player base than CB alts.

I definitely agree that the creators should be asked (were they asked when HMs were awarded?), but if the creators are alright with it, it does not make sense to me to allow CB prizes without allowing CB alts, as well, especially since they have been released in some form already.

Please bear in mind that I am in favour of prizes in the store, so this is not me saying I don't think either should be in the store. I simply think that if we are going to cry, "But won't it devalue the special prizes?" the same thought should be given about the prizes themselves. WHICH it has multiple times in multiple threads, and each time it was overwhelmingly shot down by the majority of players for a variety of reasons (some of which I agree with).

One of the things I like about DC is that it is a fairly egalitarian community and game. With hard work and/or luck, everyone can have most every sprite in the game as a CB. The only exceptions are holidays, CB alts, prizes (since we don't know if the raffle will ever be held again), and spriter alts (which I fully understand not having anyone but the spriter able to have them, since they are a special thank you to the spriter). Adding holidays to the store without adding the others in some manner doesn't bother me overly much because anyone who was on at the time could have them. CB prizes and alts, however, were a special prize for people who won the raffle or a contest. If we are going to devalue one, it makes little sense not to also devalue the other in the same manner.

Full Support.

I'm a lineage builder who has an extremely hard time incorporating hybrids into their lineages because they just don't... match... anything.... I mean, sure, I can get creative with things but come on, I would love to have a soulpeace dragon mate with a silver lunar herald and not have to have mismatched parents in the base. >>

Maybe we should ask to have them drop on the 10th Birthday only. So they would not be close to the "norm".

Nope. Any 1-day-only exclusive release is guaranteed to cause issues. Look at the recent releases we've had: as soon as they stop flooding, people come in and start complaining that it isn't fair, the drop didn't last long enough, they always miss the release, now they can't get it, it's sure to be rare, etc. And that's for permanent releases! Now imagine the uproar if there was a truly exclusive release. Imagine the raging as people fought each other for the CB drops and tried to lock themselves within that 24-hour period.

I couldn't begin to be less interested in that kind of disaster.

I still insist that we should make a list of which dragons that are bred only today and contact the creators to ask permission to change the way these dragons behave. Perhaps the OP could do that since it's her suggestion.

Do we know that the dragons in question were designed to be breed-only? I don't recall ever seeing anything one way or another for any of the Alts in question. If the creators did have specific wishes for their dragons, yeah, it's best to respect that. But if they didn't express any such wishes and the breed-only part was TJ's idea, I see no reason to cause arguments needlessly.

I find it interesting that honourable mention prizes are becoming MORE valuable than actual prizes (especially if prizes hit the store), and that more of a stink is raised about prizes (which should, by all rights, be more valuable than a 'consolation prize') being released to the store and to more people than HMs. I don't know if this is just because the prize argument has been played out so much already compared to the HM argument or because people honestly feel prizes should be more accessable to the general player base than CB alts.

I'm guessing the extra stink over prizes is because 1) there are more CB prizes, so more prize lines for people to see and interact with - people care about what's familiar to them; and 2) people can already get blacks/fellhorses/etc. without needing a special trade.

As far as the suggestion itself, I'm pretty meh about it. I don't really care one way or the other about the alt breeds in general; they're cool, but rare enough (and, admittedly, the breed-only part screws with lineage planning for me) that I just don't do anything with them. I tend to see TJ's answer as a final no, and don't really have the enthusiasm to make a compelling argument against it.

Ah, so the "alt" dragons that have their own egg sprites are excluded! That makes more sense now. I was wondering why everyone kept calling for CB alts when I thought they already existed. xd.png

Hm... kind of neutral on this, but I agree with danicast that if something like this were to be changed at all, it should be with the artist(s)/conceptor(s) permission. After all, if you designed a hybrid creature for a site, and suddenly your hybrid creature turned into a regular creature that could be caught in the wild without your permission, well, if it were me I would be upset and ask for the change to either be reversed, or have the creature be pulled altogether. And I think we can all agree that having another retired breed due to an upset artist or designer is a really, really bad idea. Asking for a simple reversal could also cause some drama, as people would have already grabbed CBs of that creature only minutes after the change, and a reversal would prevent new people from ever having a CB version. I would rather just avoid the whole mess.

As for the "CB Hybrids being offered in past" thing, I argue that just because TJ tried something out back then doesn't mean he should do it now. I blow it off as just being a mistake, a test if you will; maybe he thought it was a good idea but it didn't work out, or maybe he didn't like the idea in the first place and decided that after trying it out, he wouldn't do it again. I'm fine with him deciding that. On the other hand, maybe something will come along in the future and maybe he'll change his mind. *Shrug* As it is now though, if he decides that it won't be a thing, then it won't be a thing. Not until the site is ready for it, anyway.For now, the few CB alts and hybrids that do exist are kind of like the limited Frills and Bright Pinks that exist; maybe it'll happen, maybe they'll come back, but not for a while. I won't hold my breath for it.

Though I'm leaning toward "No", I'm still neutral on this. I'm not a huge breeder, and I don't care much for lineages/Cb vs Bred either, so this wouldn't affect me much. I'm trying to see how it would affect other people though, and it's making me iffy on the idea...

I will explain again, since you are not understanding.

Some dragons were conceived by their creators to be obtained only by breeding like black alts, undine alts, hellhorses (there is more but I think those examples are enough to illustrate my explanation). Their creators made them to be this way, they were conceived to be obtained only through breeding. I think we should RESPECT the creators and their concepts and not request that suddenly these bred only dragons be transformed into cave borns and drop in the cave or atleast ASK the creators what they think about this idea.

I hope I was more clear in explain what I think this time.

From my understanding they were conceived as a method of getting people to pick up overly common breeds. Any of the alt creators are welcome to correct me, but I don't see how having a few drop in the cave is actually disrespecting the concept. The majority will still be bred. Or not since I only see segments of the player base working with hybrids. Most hybrids seem to get ignored after scroll goals have been met. Introducing a few as CB needle in a haystack would actually rejuvenate the interest in those breeds and bring the artists' work back to the forefront. Seems like a win for the player and the artist.

Will it happen? Probably not, but I think it would be a nice bone thrown to the "collector" players who have hit the point where all they do it sit around waiting for a new release. This would at least give them some incentive to hang around and prowl the cave. I've watched so many drift away over the last year that it would be really nice to see something done to change that. This could at least help.

Nope. Any 1-day-only exclusive release is guaranteed to cause issues. Look at the recent releases we've had: as soon as they stop flooding, people come in and start complaining that it isn't fair, the drop didn't last long enough, they always miss the release, now they can't get it, it's sure to be rare, etc. And that's for permanent releases! Now imagine the uproar if there was a truly exclusive release. Imagine the raging as people fought each other for the CB drops and tried to lock themselves within that 24-hour period.

There could be ways to mitigate that i.e. not more than 2 per scroll.

Edited by NotBambi

Ah, so the "alt" dragons that have their own egg sprites are excluded! That makes more sense now. I was wondering why everyone kept calling for CB alts when I thought they already existed. xd.png

Hm... kind of neutral on this, but I agree with danicast that if something like this were to be changed at all, it should be with the artist(s)/conceptor(s) permission. After all, if you designed a hybrid creature for a site, and suddenly your hybrid creature turned into a regular creature that could be caught in the wild without your permission, well, if it were me I would be upset and ask for the change to either be reversed, or have the creature be pulled altogether. And I think we can all agree that having another retired breed due to an upset artist or designer is a really, really bad idea. Asking for a simple reversal could also cause some drama, as people would have already grabbed CBs of that creature only minutes after the change, and a reversal would prevent new people from ever having a CB version. I would rather just avoid the whole mess.

As for the "CB Hybrids being offered in past" thing, I argue that just because TJ tried something out back then doesn't mean he should do it now. I blow it off as just being a mistake, a test if you will; maybe he thought it was a good idea but it didn't work out, or maybe he didn't like the idea in the first place and decided that after trying it out, he wouldn't do it again. I'm fine with him deciding that. On the other hand, maybe something will come along in the future and maybe he'll change his mind. *Shrug* As it is now though, if he decides that it won't be a thing, then it won't be a thing. Not until the site is ready for it, anyway.For now, the few CB alts and hybrids that do exist are kind of like the limited Frills and Bright Pinks that exist; maybe it'll happen, maybe they'll come back, but not for a while. I won't hold my breath for it.

Though I'm leaning toward "No", I'm still neutral on this. I'm not a huge breeder, and I don't care much for lineages/Cb vs Bred either, so this wouldn't affect me much. I'm trying to see how it would affect other people though, and it's making me iffy on the idea...

Speaking solely for myself, if I designed a hybrid, I would be all for it being available in cave if TJ decided it was so.

Also, treating the offering of CB hybrids/alts (and to that effect, we can call the entire raffle one as well for now) as a mistake that can be brushed under the rug/ learned from is sort of a poor way of handling things. I'm not saying your understanding of it as such is poor, just that the handling of "mistakes" on DC right now seems more along the lines of "The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh Away" and we are just supposed to roll with it and chalk it up to "this is why we can't have nice things" because if it doesn't work out or causes too much of an issue then it will get taken away (raffles, retired breeds).

As for the exclusive drop causing drama: Existing CB dragons related to the raffle in any shape or form are exclusive. When the Valentine 2009s dropped, they dropped for one day and were exclusive. All of the CB holidays are exclusive. Spriter's alts are exclusive and it can be argued that they are deserved. Can't really claim drama surrounding exclusivity when there ARE already exclusive dragons.

Edit: Just realized this is more of a general reply and I just happened to quote skwerl.

Edited by Jazeki

Fine by me; It would be awesome if all artists were flexible with their creations, but some of them would prefer to be asked first before a change went through, me being one of them. I am very particular about my concepts, and I can't imagine I'm the only one. It's more of courtesy to notify the designer, really.

Some things do cause enough issues that they are taken away; I haven't seen such a case on DC though (and hopefully not ever) since most of those things are game-breaking and that's why they're removed. I can only interpret what happened in the past as being something that TJ didn't want to do again, for whatever reason. I can't imagine it was game-breaking... who knows, maybe something happened on the site's "backstage" where someone-maybe a designer or admin-had a really persuasive argument, or was simply upset, with what had happened. Or maybe nothing happened at all. Oh, or a more positive thought; maybe TJ is planning something like this in the far future? I'd like to think that he's putting off the idea of CB versions of certain dragons because he's waiting for the right moment to implement something big!

I can hope. xd.png If something like this was done though I would still rather it be for the other Alts, so that hybrids are still bred-only.

Hm, concerning drama I can see what you mean; I don't follow those kinds of threads/posts though, so I don't know how bad the drama becomes? I figured though that having a new feature or change be implemented, and then suddenly be removed due to <X> would cause more drama than a planned event where we know that the dragons are exclusive, and as such try to grab them while we can. I can see a lot of long-term confusion and annoyance derived from such a thing... maybe wouldn't be as bad (or worse than what we already have, anyway) as I think?

ADP, you got me giggling a little bit because, yes, this was suggested before - by you. XD Merged the posts and put your new post in the OP if you wanna edit at all.

~

As well, please cut the argument that this shouldn't even be discussed because it's disrespectful to artists. For one, I don't recall any hybrid artist posting in either of these topics. Please feel free to search that and prove me wrong. For two, it does not make sense to sit here and not offer your opinion any further than "this is what I think this person would think". If you really want the alt/hybrid artists to weigh in, do feel free to send them a polite PM. Let them speak their own minds. I'm sure they'd love to be kept up to date on suggestions that could affect their creations. But finally, I do not believe that just suggesting this is disrespectful to the artists. It would be disrespectful if any said no and then were harassed by people who wanted them to change their minds.

Thank you.

~

While I don't think it will happen, I would like the chance to be able to grab cb alts/hybrids. I think the best argument I can offers is that technically, our cb eggs are bred eggs, they're just bred in the wild, so we don't know the egg's lineage.

While I don't think it will happen, I would like the chance to be able to grab cb alts/hybrids. I think the best argument I can offers is that technically, our cb eggs are bred eggs, they're just bred in the wild, so we don't know the egg's lineage.

(bold by me)

Exactly. And who is to say that a sentient dragon doesn't fly around to a different biome to meet somedragon special?

I agree that these CB hybrids should be rare, and that the ones with same descriptions will cause issues (bluna/deep sea, soulpeace/silver), but I'd still very much like to see this happen.

In real life, hybrids happen in the wild, too. Especially if both parent species can be found in the same habitat. Like scarlet x green-winged macaws, grizzly x polar bear, false killer whale x bottlenose dolphin, mules, zorses, even some panthera hybrids (marozi, (pre-)historical crossbreeding between snow leopards and lions, "dogla"/leoger) are rumored to have been found in the wild.

In real life, hybrids happen in the wild, too. Especially if both parent species can be found in the same habitat. Like scarlet x green-winged macaws, grizzly x polar bear, false killer whale x bottlenose dolphin, mules, zorses, even some panthera hybrids (marozi, (pre-)historical crossbreeding between snow leopards and lions, "dogla"/leoger) are rumored to have been found in the wild.

Be very careful with this argument as in biology, there are different forms of hybrids to describe the degree of backward-compatible genetics (among other things). Many hybrid interspecies forms are sterile to some degree, quoting Wikipedia for better clarification: "Interspecific hybrids are bred by mating two species, normally from within the same genus. The offspring display traits and characteristics of both parents. The offspring of an interspecific cross are very often sterile; thus, hybrid sterility prevents the movement of genes from one species to the other, keeping both species distinct."

If you're going to dismiss this with "Oh it's just a fantasy game, don't take it too seriously" then your comments about finding this in the wild should be dismissed too. Personally, I think leaving real life examples out of the whole argument is better on the whole, not just because of the fantasy world element, but because genetics are very complex.

With all of that said, I'm not in support of this suggestion simply because I feel it will detract from game mechanics/unique ways to obtain specific dragons.

About the only way i can see them happening is as a raffle. Mini raffles in the store, then maybe they might happen sometimes, but I wanted to avoid the raffle thing being part of the store, asit was overcomplicating things at the time of discussion.

Please no more raffles anywhere at any time of any kind.

Otherwise I am totally neutral on this one.

Thank you for listening biggrin.gif

I'm totally happy with hybrids and alts NOT being CB. Hybrids are relatively easy to get, you only need some (relatively) common dragons. Everyone can breed those whenever they can/want. Same with alts. They are a bit harder to get, but with some effort you will get them eventually.

When hybrids and alts would be CB now all of a sudden, not only would it destroy the value of bred ones, it would also destroy the purpose of hybrids. Then TJ could have just released them as a normal breed.

It would be even worse when they are also supposed to be rare CBs. Then we would be back to the same drama we have with the CB Prize dragons.

Just my opinion.

Well. Besides TJ's own dragons (which he doesn't seem to breed anymore), there is 1 CB Soulpeace and 1 CB Hellhorse. The Soulpeace's owner seems to have retired from the forums, and the CB Hellhorse's owner is getting rather exhausted, and would be extremely happy if there were more of those. Seriously extremely happy.

Be very careful with this argument as in biology, there are different forms of hybrids to describe the degree of backward-compatible genetics (among other things). Many hybrid interspecies forms are sterile to some degree, quoting Wikipedia for better clarification: "Interspecific hybrids are bred by mating two species, normally from within the same genus. The offspring display traits and characteristics of both parents. The offspring of an interspecific cross are very often sterile; thus, hybrid sterility prevents the movement of genes from one species to the other, keeping both species distinct."

If you're going to dismiss this with "Oh it's just a fantasy game, don't take it too seriously" then your comments about finding this in the wild should be dismissed too. Personally, I think leaving real life examples out of the whole argument is better on the whole, not just because of the fantasy world element, but because genetics are very complex.

With all of that said, I'm not in support of this suggestion simply because I feel it will detract from game mechanics/unique ways to obtain specific dragons.

Oh, but I'm not going to dismiss them at all.

Quite a few interspecies hybrids are sterile - but not all. Macaw hybrids of the genus Ara are usually quite sterile, and a number of 2nd gen or higher hybrids are known. There are also hybrids between different genera of macaws, but I couldn't find out if they, in turn, are fertile. (Probably not, or I'd have found something.)

At least female false killer whale x bottlenose dolphin hybrids ("wolphins") are fertile. I don't know about males, though.

Female panthera hybrids are fertile. And at least leopons (leopard x lion hybrids) also have fertile males.

Humans are hybrids - between ancient humans, and ancient chimpanzees 6 to 10 million years ago), resulting in a more modern human which then hybridized with denisovans and neanderthals.

Brown x polar bear hybrids are fertile. Edible frogs (Pelophylax kl. esculentus) are a hybrid species that can live and reproduce without any of the parent species being available.

Even though mules are usually sterile, there is evidence of various cases (over several centuries, mind you) where a mule hinny had a foal.

Trust me, I know biology in general and genetics in particular.

Pardon me for interjecting, but I'm not quite sure why sterility of IRL wild hybrids can be a point for or against having CB Hybrids. We can breed them, and they can breed. So if bred hybrids can breed, I don't know why "CB" Hybrids (which are actually bred with an unknown lineage) wouldn't be able to... xd.png

What I'm getting from this point it that hybridization happens in the wild but most of the time the hybrids are sterile. Well, even human-bred hybrids are often sterile. But our hybrids are not.

If we honestly couldn't get CB Alts AND Hybrids, I'd personally be fine with just CB Alts. But I voted to reflect wanting both. I agree that asking the artists could/should be a thing, but I don't think anybody would disagree with that.

I'm totally happy with hybrids and alts NOT being CB. Hybrids are relatively easy to get, you only need some (relatively) common dragons. Everyone can breed those whenever they can/want. Same with alts. They are a bit harder to get, but with some effort you will get them eventually.

When hybrids and alts would be CB now all of a sudden, not only would it destroy the value of bred ones, it would also destroy the purpose of hybrids. Then TJ could have just released them as a normal breed.

It would be even worse when they are also supposed to be rare CBs. Then we would be back to the same drama we have with the CB Prize dragons.

Just my opinion.

I admit that I don't trade, but I've never known hybrids of having a value, because as you said, everyone can breed them when they want them. Alts do because getting them is much more the luck of the draw, but they still don't have very high value. I doubt this would cause any serious reduction in perceived value.

It's not the hybrids themselves that are valuable, but the offspring of CB hybrids and/or CB alts. Probably more so than offspring from CB (female) hollies or CB prizes.

If it does harm to no one, and expands gameplay, I am all for it. So yeah.

And it makes sense taking in account what Sock said (the CBs we take are actually bred eggs we know no lineage about), also what Olympe said about hybrids being more "natural" than we think in real life, not that it matters too much, as this is a game, so real life rules really dont have to apply (and shouldnt in most cases), so maybe hybrids are completely supposed to be that way here in DC. And in the case of hybrids being sterile in real life; it really doesnt matter since this is a game, just like with what I explained about game and real life thingie. Also, the fact of hybrids only being obtaianable through breeding hinders gameplay, not too much, as it only hinders lineage building and maybe some few other kind of gameplays (like families with 2 CBs of each gender and then 3 frozen "children": 1 male, 1 female and 1 ungendered).

If it does harm to no one, and expands gameplay, I am all for it. So yeah.

And it makes sense taking in account what Sock said (the CBs we take are actually bred eggs we know no lineage about), also what Olympe said about hybrids being more "natural" than we think in real life, not that it matters too much, as this is a game, so real life rules really dont have to apply (and shouldnt in most cases), so maybe hybrids are completely supposed to be that way here in DC. And in the case of hybrids being sterile in real life; it really doesnt matter since this is a game, just like with what I explained about game and real life thingie. Also, the fact of hybrids only being obtaianable through breeding hinders gameplay, not too much, as it only hinders lineage building and maybe some few other kind of gameplays (like families with 2 CBs of each gender and then 3 frozen "children": 1 male, 1 female and 1 ungendered).

This, all this.

It seems like the biggest concern is that these CB alts and hybrids would "lower the value" of bred alts and hybrids. As far as I have seen, bred hybrids aren't exactly worth a pretty penny since they're relatively easy to breed. As for bred alts, these are harder to get but... so will their CB counterparts... Either way, they're going to be desirable. Would the CB version be more desirable? Yes, because as a lineage builder, I would want a CB version.

In terms of CB Alts, I don't really care to make Striped or Black, Vine or Avatar dragon lineages because of how awkward their bases are when they're strict hybrids. As a lineage builder could I be creative about it? Yes, yes I can. But let's take the Avatar dragons as an example. The Avatar of Change and the Avatar of Destruction horribly clashes against the GoN color scheme. I cringe every time I see the Avatar of Destruction - which is a gorgeous sprite - and then realize that I don't have any color scheme I want to line it up with because the soft pretty light blue of the GoN doesn't mix well with the sprite coloration of its offspring.

In terms of hybrids, I would like to make "Magikarp" lineages without having to deal with Water-Dragon and Orange Dragon (I should know these names but I don't) bases. I want to make Soulpeace lineages without having to deal with Day-dream and White Dragon bases. If anything since their bases are awkward, these hybrid dragons are less appealing and less popular because you really can't do much with them.

As for the argument that if TJ wanted them to be CB he would have made them CB, I agree with the argument that if he wanted that, why would he allow for them to be HM prizes in the first place?

I feel like introducing CB alts and CB hybrids would up their popularity - or at the very least CB hybrids should be given a toss in.

I also feel like it would move the cave along as well - making some of the cave blockers move a little faster. The Geode, Shallow Water (Magikarps!), and Soulpeace all share the same flavor text as other dragons. It might not be a *huge* change in terms of getting rid of caveblockers (since Soulpeaces share the same text as Silvers) but it could possible do something?

I mean, more people would pick up CB Vines and CB Blacks if they knew there was a chance at getting a super rare CB alt of it. Because for me, I haven't found a reason to stock up on these babies after I have my own CB pairs. After that, all I do is collect 2nd gens - 3rd gens to wait for alts.

Edit: Editted to finally make some sense x____x

Edited by noxlyx

My problem with this is that it would turn hybrids and alts into "those ultra rare CB dragons with quirky alternate ways to get bred forms". The simple fact that they're CB and we're all hung up on CBness will completely blow away what was supposed to be their distinguishing characteristic, the fact that they have a unique way of obtaining them. Making the CB form even rarer than golds won't change that view shift, it will just give the average user yet another unobtainable dragon to yearn for, because if it's available as CB collecting the bred forms just isn't good enough.

@olympe: If you know genetics, then you know how complex it is and how futile it is for us or anyone else to try use it as an argument for or against this idea regarding a fantasy game...

@pederino: What you call hindering gameplay, others call unique gameplay ^__^

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I thought I would add that several hybrid species right now share their egg description with other dragons already in-cave. Particular, I was looking at Soulpeace dragons that share their description with Silver dragons. I can only image how furiously frustrating it might be for someone trying to hunt down Silvers only to get Soulpeaces...

Just a thought smile.gif

Edited by bluesonic1