angelicdragonpuppy

Allow Alts/Hybrids to be CB

Would you like to have CB Alts & Hybrids added to the cave?  

428 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With my suggestion, yea.. ONLY the cb eggs would be affected. Otherwise they would continue to work as they always have.

I don't see an issue with that, seems pretty reasonable to me. I did voice earlier that it was a bit weird to me that a hybrid would hatch from another breed's egg, but... eh, they're close enough. It has some good reasoning behind it.

Is confused. Am I missing something or are people saying they are ok waiting for eggs to hatch too see if their black/vine/undines are going to be alts, but not willing to wait to see if their white/purple/whatever eggs hatch into cb hybrids?

I'm not really seeing enough of a difference in the mechanism to see why people are ok waiting for cb and /or bred alts to reveal themselves but not cb hybrids?

As some have stated, the problem is not that the mechanic is the same, is just that alts have the same egg-sprite as their parents, while hybrids have egg-sprites of their own; that, and how hybrids and alts reproduce. In any case, I really dislike that mechanic, and because of that I would really like if alts received different egg-sprites (just like ridgewings and dorsals, also, in the past they had minor differences), but I dont think is really neccessary. Thats why I dont mind for alts, but dont want for hybrids.

So there are two separate reasons then?

Some don't like the idea simply because they don't want a hybrid coming from a non- hybrid eggshell?

And others don't like it because they might need to wait a few days to find out whether it truly is a hybrid (even though they already have to wait to find out if others eggs truly are an alt, whether that alt is black, undine, purple neb or whatever?) They don't like that function as it already exist and don't want to see more dragons like that?

Edited by Tawanda001

Alts used to have different eggs, they were slightly different colors to reflect the different colors used by the different sprites. It was specifically changed so they would have the same eggs as the non-alt varieties, probably to force people to hatch them rather than breeding a bunch of blacks or vines and cherry-picking out the alt eggs. Because of this, I suspect the chances are rather low that TJ could be convinced to change things back.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Hmmmm...with the explanations people have given for how this hybrid idea would work....I am now slightly in favor of it happening. I'm no longer totally opposed, I should say.

...I at least have to admit I would do a lot to get a CB Ultraviolet, especially since Spitfires are one of my least favorite breeds.

I already voted in the poll unfortunately, but oh well.

So there are two separate reasons then?

Some don't like the idea simply because they don't want a hybrid coming from a non- hybrid eggshell?

And others don't like it because they might need to wait a few days to find out whether it truly is a hybrid (even though they already have to wait to find out if others eggs truly are an alt, whether that alt is black, undine, purple neb or whatever?) They don't like that function as it already exist and don't want to see more dragons like that?

There are no... separate reasons. I mean, yes, those are different reasons, but people are not separated by those reasons (at least not as much as you suggest).

But I have a question now, you think people really like that feature? Because, one thing is acceptance and another liking. People may accept how things work, but not like it; for example, I accept the way gemshards breeding behaves, but I dont like it (and I really love that breed).

@Pokemonfan13 Yes, I know. Though maybe we can come again to that, I mean, we have the dorsals and ridgewings that have different egg-sprites for the alts, so maybe it wont be as problematic as before? Of course, I dont think is really neccessary to make that change (though again, would very much like it).

The alt chatter is getting kinda off topic, but I'll say one thing on it. Giving rare alts separate egg sprites is problematic just in theory. 1: Blacks, Vines and Undines are on a separate rarity from Ridgewings and Dorsals, don't just categorize them all as "alts." 2: There are already tons of alt-fails that get dumped as it is, people are happy to raise hatchies which keeps ratios in check but people wouldn't be so keen on obviously non-alt eggs. 3: This is the big one. You're trying to make alts too easy. The point of a rare is it's a rare, an achievement of sorts just to own. On this site, if you suddenly had a dozen CB of every breed, there would be very little left for you to do. Lineage building takes a long time and with hatcheries raising dragons is very low-maintence. Hope my point got across right, I'm not 100% on how to word it.

I don't know what the big deal with Thuban's suggestion is, I think it'd be more exciting to have an egg suddenly hatch hybrid than to just find a hybrid. We could even argue that as hybrids have more hybrid ancestors in their genes their eggs morph away from their parents' if someone wants to get RP in here.

Before we go too far, have any of the spriters/creators of these dragons piped up or are even aware of this thread? If even one of them says "NO" then this thread is pretty much done. It'd be really weird to have all hybrids except one available as CB so if one breed wants out they all gotta go. I am still excluding Avatars from this since they breed from a very rare and unique dragon and are therefore on a different rarity level.

Long post over now, I get rambly when I'm bored.

But I have a question now, you think people really like that feature? Because, one thing is acceptance and another liking. People may accept how things work, but not like it; for example, I accept the way gemshards breeding behaves, but I dont like it (and I really love that breed).

I don't know that people 'like' it although I guess some people like a good challenge. I'm not really one of them and don't work much with nebs or gems for that reason. I also don't pick up a lot of 2g blacks, or undines, or vines hoping they'll alt either. But a lot of people do like doing just that.

However, would I pick up cb whatevers and wait a couple of days to see if they hatch as a rare, a cb hybrid, oh yeah I would. I'm not really seeing a downside to that because if you pick up a white egg expecting a white and a few days later what you have is a soulpeace it really won't be that difficult to get a white. I keep comparing the hybrids to alts because it's exactly the same process people go through now to get a black alt or a purple neb. Sure it's not easy, it means waiting to see if you get one and you are taking a chance, but for a rare? Why not?

The alt chatter is getting kinda off topic, but I'll say one thing on it. Giving rare alts separate egg sprites is problematic just in theory. 1: Blacks, Vines and Undines are on a separate rarity from Ridgewings and Dorsals, don't just categorize them all as "alts." ...

How do you know the rarities of cave alts is different to bred alts? We barely know (if we know something), how ratios work.

... 2: There are already tons of alt-fails that get dumped as it is, people are happy to raise hatchies which keeps ratios in check but people wouldn't be so keen on obviously non-alt eggs. ...

The only alt fails commonly dumped at the moment are dorsals, ridgewings are uncommon common in the AP (compared to most breeds at least, like sunstone/moonstones -and most are even lineaged, not CB-, brutes, canopies, bright-breasted, and some others; but yes, dorsals are very common). And a good amount of vines and blacks are traded instead of dumped (I would estimate a 50/50 here, since there are people that dont like to trade, but there are some that dont like to waste, and a hatchling black/vine with a nice lineage can have the value of a nice uncommon or even another nicely lineaged dragon).

Also, people would be just as happy to raise incu-hatchable eggs (or eggs with less than 6 days). Yes, hatchlings are better, but what difference does some minutes make? Or a day at max (with incubate of course)? I mean, is a lot less than 2-3 days, isnt it?

... 3: This is the big one. You're trying to make alts too easy. The point of a rare is it's a rare, an achievement of sorts just to own. On this site, if you suddenly had a dozen CB of every breed, there would be very little left for you to do. Lineage building takes a long time and with hatcheries raising dragons is very low-maintence. Hope my point got across right, I'm not 100% on how to word it. ...

The typical "Its meant to be rare" argument, which serves no other purpose than to add obnoxious ways of gameplay and just be "happy" about it.

First, I am not trying to make them easier, but less annoying. We are not discussing difference of rarity here, but disguising eggs so you are OBLIGATED to hatch it to see if you are interested or not. Thats one bad way of forcing a player to hatch eggs. About the other part (the lineage building part)... Lineage building aint "easy" -may be easier with incubate, fertility and influence, but is not easy anyway-, so why make it more annoying or "difficult"? And if you want a challenge, you already have a ton of dragons ready for that: christmas (specially snow angels), valentines (sweetlings), halloweens (the jhardest part is that you can only breed them twice a year... if you are lucky), prizes, at least 5 alts, gemshards, nebulas, around 9 hybrid breeds, lunar heralds, seasonals, sunset/rise, glory drakes, coppers ... I have counted: 42 (taking in account each color of gemshard as a "different breed", and so on for the others) + holidays, that is a lot of breeds where you can get quite a good challenge.

Also, take in consideration that there is a limit a scroll can take (if you are gold, you can hold up to 7 eggs, or 21 living things, which is not much if you take in account those are meant to be "gold" rare (thats the main idea on this topic at least), is not like you can grab a ton and hope at least one hatches as a hybrid/alt.

... I don't know what the big deal with Thuban's suggestion is, I think it'd be more exciting to have an egg suddenly hatch hybrid than to just find a hybrid. We could even argue that as hybrids have more hybrid ancestors in their genes their eggs morph away from their parents' if someone wants to get RP in here. ...

That is true and makes sense, actually. Still no support from my part, but is a really good point.

... Before we go too far, have any of the spriters/creators of these dragons piped up or are even aware of this thread? If even one of them says "NO" then this thread is pretty much done. It'd be really weird to have all hybrids except one available as CB so if one breed wants out they all gotta go. I am still excluding Avatars from this since they breed from a very rare and unique dragon and are therefore on a different rarity level.

Long post over now, I get rambly when I'm bored.

This thread is 15 pages long and 3 years old, so I am very sure that at least a few spriters have seen this already -if not all-, excepting of course the retired spriters, but thats besides the point.

And sorry if I may come out as rude or obnoxious...

@Tawanda001 As I explained Kovia, waiting is not difficult, just very annoying, specially if you discover it was for nothing or almost nothing (I may have said it was difficult, but it was for the lack of a better word at that moment). If you are not really expecting a hybrid then yes, if a hybrid breaks from the egg it would be awesome, but the experience will be more often the other way around with the rarity we want to setup.

It will only delay the AP flood - and mak it a flood of hatchies instead.

You mean just like regular Black and Vine hatchies "flood" the AP already?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I do not support. Definitely not for hybrids. I love the breed-only kinds of dragons, and I particularly love that they are breed-only.

Seconding this.