Pixxelation

Change the Holidays

Personally, I've always thought it would be a lot of fun to celebrate all kinds of different holidays from all over the world. I enjoy other cultures and find them interesting, especially the different holidays.

I've always daydreamed about TJ putting on 2-3 events a year based on holidays around the world with wicked new dragons to match those places and beliefs. How cool would that be? lol As far as Christmas goes, well, I do believe in God(Most of the time)but I'm not at all religous. But the way I see it is what does TJ believe in? It's his site, and above all others he should be able to freely celebrate his own beliefs on a site he owns, whatever they may be. *shrug*

Edited by MedievalMystic

I like the Christmas ones. But I do wish there could be something less loving, like a Heartbreak dragon (love isn't always sweet). Anyway for me, Valentine's is my best friend's birthday.

People with birthdays close to many holidays tend to get left out a lot don't they?

I think it's not religion based either. This Christmas is about Santa, getting presents, and good cheer, and wrapping paper. It's not a religion based one so why should we worry on that case?

Edited by Firebirdwyvern

That's exactly what we need PieMaster. I fully support something like that.. it's unbiased, non-religious and in the spirit of the season.

FBW: There aren't two separate Christmasses. It's Christmas or it isn't.

Edited by PieMaster

This is melodramatic. If you really want a discussion, you should be willing to listen to both sides without resorting to caps and insults. Like it or not, not pleasing everyone is a very real issue. The food event this year wasn't without it's vegetarian complaints, for example. But apparently being honest about not being crazy about removing Christmas from the old descriptions makes me a bully that wants to belittle people and exclude them from events. And being open to seeing new stuff isn't good enough. sleep.gif

Meh.

The tent idea is cute and nicely worded.

No it's not. I was making an emphasis because the point doesn't seem to be getting across. I did not make any insults, but yes, I did use caps to catch people's attention.

I have listened to both sides. And I have not heard or seen any reasonable argument against this idea. All I've seen is people getting wrapped over "omg christmas" instead of actually realizing what the issue is at hand. No one is getting offended over Christmas, yet that's all most of the posts have been complaining about.

Obviously, if someone was open to new stuff, then I wasn't talking about them.

And yes I know not pleasing everyone is a real issue. I have addressed that. Instead of going "Oh you can't please everyone", we should be looking for solutions to those problems instead of turning the other cheek. That's what communities do.

FBW: There aren't two separate Christmasses. It's Christmas or it isn't.

No, there really are two cristmases. There's the traditional christmas that is celebrated by religious people that is focused on jesus and god and stuff, and there's the new, secular chrstmas that can be celebrated by just about anyone that's about family and santa claus and peace and gift giving. If it wasn't for the fact that the traditional version usually includes the secular version as well, the secular version could easily be called something else, with the only connection to the traditional christmas being the date it falls on.

I am an atheist. I hate participating in anything christian [or any religion for that matter]. If there isn't a secular xmas, how come I celebrate it with my family without a single mention of "god" or "jesus"??

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I've always daydreamed about TJ putting on 2-3 events a year based on holidays around the world with wicked new dragons to match those places and beliefs.  How cool would that be?  lol

Actually, this might be really interesting. Having more then one 'winter holiday' release around Christmas might be something to consider. As long as they are spaced out though December so that newer users can grab 2 of each and hatch them in time for the next ones (as leaving them out would be against the spirit of giving of the season) it could potentially work.

So, in 2013, Hanukkah will be Nov. 27th-Dec. 5th, Christmas on 25th, and Kwanzaa on Dec 26-Jan 1st. Here's an idea. So, let's say the holiday dragon was released on the last day of each season (to keep them from being to close together) we could have a Hanukkah dragon on Dec 5th, a Christmas dragon on the 25th, and a Kwanzaa on Jan 1st.

I'm just throwing ideas around. I also like PieMaster's 'tents of the winter holiday' idea.

If we did a trade off of event and dragon holiday themes, we could do like two different dragon events based on certain holidays and then interactive events for the others (and then switch it up the next year). And since you can only obtain 2 of each breed, that'll leave 4 dragons to raise and hopefully should be enough space/time for people to raise the amount of dragons they have available space for.

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

It's an interesting idea, but would people have time to raise eggs from previous releases?

Well, as it is now with 6 holiday breeds (and the 7th that will be added this year), it's already difficult/impossible for someone with 4 slots to catch and raise 2 of each in one year. It's only going to get worse as years go by for all of the holidays.

If we opened up the holiday breeding season to go from the end (or beginning) of Hanukkah to the end of Kwanzaa, that could give users (depending on Hanukkah, it changes from year to year) the entire month to gather and raise eggs so they could raise multiple batches of eggs.

I just posted the idea as I though it up, so it isn't too though out yet and there are probably kinks in the idea.

Personally, I think we have enough holiday releases as is. I'd rather make it one bug DC holiday/festival than add more holidays.

The way I imagined it, TJ would choose X number of cultural events/holidays a year, different ones each year with a dragon to represent the holiday, and those events/dragons would have a thread and be discussed for fun and knowledge, but not just in December, but all sorts of special and meaningful holidays that people celebrate at different times througout the year.

Obviously, if lots of different cultures are to be represented, TJ couldn't do every single one of them every single year like Christmas is represented now...or could he? xd.png If TJ himself celebrates Christmas, or for whatever reason, and wants that holiday to stay a tradition here, that's what it is and imo, that should be respected. But I think it's possible to also celebrate and represent a lot of cultures if it were done right, and I think people would enjoy it and enjoy learning a little about a special holiday that maybe they've never heard of. It could be a lot of fun, especially seeing all the special dragons!

I can't see why this would offend anyone at all. People can be true to themselves and still be big enough to appreciate and enjoy other cultures beliefs and holidays, and take pleasure in them even if they don't share those beliefs or celebrate the event themselves.

I'd rather make it one bug DC holiday/festival than add more holidays.

You mean instead of Christmas celebrate a different holiday each year? But what if TJ himself celebrates Christmas? If the admin of the site celebrates something, no matter what it may be, then shouldn't it stay whether we're down with it or not if he wants it to if it's his thing?

Edited by MedievalMystic

So people would be able to breed xmas [and the other holidays'] dragons multiple times? It would be strange to let them be breedable for all that time and lock them to only one breeding. But with multiple breedings there would be too many eggs, so it would make sense to combine it with the "raise holiday limits" idea.

The way I imagined it, TJ would choose X number of cultural events/holidays a year, different ones each year with a dragon to represent the holiday, and those events/dragons would have a thread and be discussed for fun and knowledge, but not just in December, but all sorts of special and meaningful holidays that people celebrate at different times througout the year.

Obviously, if lots of different cultures are to be represented, TJ couldn't do every single one of them every single year like Christmas is represented now...or could he? xd.png If TJ himself celebrates Christmas, or for whatever reason, and wants that holiday to stay a tradition here, that's what it is and imo, that should be respected. But I think it's possible to also celebrate and represent a lot of cultures if it were done right, and I think people would enjoy it and enjoy learning a little about a special holiday that maybe they've never heard of. It could be a lot of fun, especially seeing all the special dragons!

I can't see why this would offend anyone at all. People can be true to themselves and still be big enough to appreciate and enjoy other cultures beliefs and holidays, and take pleasure in them even if they don't share those beliefs or celebrate the event themselves.

You mean instead of Christmas celebrate a different holiday each year? But what if TJ himself celebrates Christmas? If the admin of the site celebrates something, no matter what it may be, then shouldn't it stay whether we're down with it or not if he wants it to if it's his thing?

No, just have a DC festival (like in the OP) where people come together to celebrate the winter holiday season together, and have a release themed for whatever submission TJ chooses.

I liked the tents idea, which could tie into having an actual page for holiday events onsite instead of forumwide, and instead of having cultures split up they're more like one big celebration for everyone, like a Midwinter Celebration.

The Halloween dragons are never specifically mentioned that they're Halloween releases, but we always know (at least from prior experience) the day is October 31 usually. So just changing the dragon descriptions to not have Christmas would be my idea, and have the mini-events like they already are: holiday spirit, festivities, etc. I mean, in the world (or continent, whichever) of DC we have winter now and summer half a year later, so it makes sense that during winter, we bring out the evergreen plants and food and stuff to make merry and celebrate life and plenty, even in during the cold times.

Pokemonfan, you brought up a really good point about breeding these special event dragons. Would it offend anyone if the dragons could simply breed all year long, but be rares, not quite to the extent of golds, but something like that, instead of breeding just once a year?

No, just have a DC festival (like in the OP) where people come together to celebrate the winter holiday season together, and have a release themed for whatever submission TJ chooses.

I don't see a problem with the idea personally.

So people would be able to breed xmas [and the other holidays'] dragons multiple times?  It would be strange to let them be breedable for all that time and lock them to only one breeding.  But with multiple breedings there would be too many eggs, so it would make sense to combine it with the "raise holiday limits" idea.

That's a good point. Perhaps dragons that grow up in the time period would be allowed to breed once? Again, I'm just slapping ideas around. I'd love to see the breed limits thing though.

So the xmas would be xmas only and the other two would be all year?  Dunno.

I wouldn't support that. It's not because I dislike the idea of them breeding out of season, but if a change that big should be applied, I'd want it to be for all of the holidays equally.

If a three-holiday winter season were done, I'd say it should work like this:

* The three seasons are contiguous and each has a week, with the Chanukah week leading directly into the xmas week leading directly into the Kwanza week. Might not work technically well with the placement of the holidays but nothing is going to work completely without being awkward.

* Dragons can breed multiple time during the extended season

* How should offspring work? Still not allowed to breed or given a limited number of breedings?

* Some form of the "increase holiday limits" proposal for raise x per holiday season is implemented. Perhaps 2 per year since with multiple breedings there would be lots of eggs to go around.

I still don't think it's necessary, but I have a "make the idea the best it can be" compulsion. x3

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Again, we don't necessarily have to have 3 different or even 2 different types of dragons each year. It can be one kind of dragon, and then an event that ties into another holiday around that time. Then each year the different holidays that are represented either as Dragons or events would switch.

A week for this and a week for that and a week for another doesn't help at all. That's tripling the original problem, instead of trying to remove the problem.

We don't need 3 different religious/cultural dragons.. we need one unbiased, non-religious, holiday limited release that appeals to everyone because it IS NOT specific. It could be based on whatever.. xmas, hannuka, quanza.. but the description would NOT say that. The description should be dragonish, medieval and DC related.. without referring to anything religious, cultural or otherwise specific.

My point is that you can base things on something without making a big deal about it. If the theme calls for using green and pruple, that's fine... if it calls for red, green and gold, that's fine too. Use whatever color combo or theme needed.. just don't reference it in the description.

I'd love to see a winter dragon with a blue/silver/white color combo.. or a spring dragon with a green/yellow/pink combo... or a summer dragon with a red/white/blue combo.. or a fall dragon with a red/black/gold combo. Different is good, it's the quality of the art and the fact that it would be limited that would make it special.. not that it is for xmas, v'day or halloween.

It's a bit early to have had a poll up on this. The options may have been better set out after some initial discussion (and less too quick responses lol)

I would support simply dropping any Christmas references and leave it up to players to decide what they are celebrating.

Down in the southern hemisphere here, we are having our summer holidays laugh.gif

I do like the medieval fair concept though.

If we go adding in other cultural/religious occasions, where do we stop? Each one would create problems of their own.

[*]Halloween: Halloween's fine staying as is. Its origin is in late medieval times, in Scotland, where it was believed that the day was when they barrier between the living world and the afterlife shattered, and ghouls could enter into reality. People would dress up in intimidating costumes, trying to scare the ghouls back to the other side. The Halloween dragons could represent either the ghouls or the people wearing masks.

Origin of the word Halloween is Christian, but the hollyday has pagan roots, and it is based of the Celtic ritual of Samhain, marking the end of harvest season and begining of winter season.

Halloween is as much Christianic as is Christmas, so in your belives that shuld be changed too, and far less people celebrate Halloween than Christmas.

If it stays as it is it will be fine with me, and if it changes it is still fine with me, i wont go and make a fuss about something that has diferent belives than i have over some hollydays, no mather how you put it there will be a colector sad couse he was left out, and he does not feel that he fits in couse he does not belive in this or that. and TJ cant make all colectors happy, but if he manages to make most of them happy than he did more than good.

A week for this and a week for that and a week for another doesn't help at all. That's tripling the original problem, instead of trying to remove the problem.

This this this.

Also too many new releases in a short time slot.