lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

I'll probably never post in the trading areas...

Mainly because I have no idea about the concept of 'value' for this kind of thing. My mind basically works as "CB metallics/ND = best" "CB Trios = good", "Everything else = okay". When you throw lineages into the mix, all of that goes out the window. I'd use my 2nd gen Thuwed to make trades, but like I said. I have no concept of what a trade of its offspring would be worth. |:

Heck, I feel like none of the lineages I'll do for my self would be worth anything since I have no idea what value the dragons or the linages themselves have.

Mainly because I have no idea about the concept of 'value' for this kind of thing. My mind basically works as "CB metallics/ND = best" "CB Trios = good", "Everything else = okay". When you throw lineages into the mix, all of that goes out the window. I'd use my 2nd gen Thuwed to make trades, but like I said. I have no concept of what a trade of its offspring would be worth. |:

Heck, I feel like none of the lineages I'll do for my self would be worth anything since I have no idea what value the dragons or the linages themselves have.

That's almost 'exactly' how I feel, Twilit.

And I'm getting tired of people not reading my whole post in the trade forms. What part of 'I don't accept IOUs' do they not understand (and it's even in big red letters in my sig)? Yes, I consider 'I will breed it for you right now' an IOU, as there is no guarintee they will breed what I am after as a result. dry.gif

Edited by Slaskia

I honestly give up with trading. There's just too many people who overvalue their dragons, it's getting hard to find decent trades. A 3rd gen Silver is NOT worth a CB Gold, and will never be. Nor is a 2nd gen Red hatchling, for that matter. And putting "CB Gold - I can dream lol" at the end of your post doesn't make it all fine, either.

But there's nothing we can do about this, really. I would be quite within my rights to post "Have: 12th gen messy inbred Mint, Want: CB Gold".

Honestly a lot of the trade offers at Eggs Around the World seem ridiculous to me.  "Have CB mint, would like 2nd gen shimmerscale and CB gold for it."  I've had much better luck trading via the forums here.  The thing other people mentioned about unreasonable offers sticking around longer makes sense.

(What really drives me crazy is when they put up an egg and mark it "for free" when they actually mean "make an offer" despite there being an option for that.  Often it's something not that rare or with a messy lineage, so what am I supposed to think when you say that? It just seems kind of…unfriendly.)

agreed

Edited by jellyscent

Yes, I consider 'I will breed it for you right now' an IOU, as there is no guarintee they will breed what I am after as a result. dry.gif

I differ in that I wouldn't consider it an IOU offer to receive a PM saying something like: "I've got this pairing, which I think meets your requirements and are off cooldown. If you're interested and haven't accepted an offer yet, would you be interested in me breeding them right now and trading if they produce?"

This is asking for more information:

o Is this pairing what you're looking for? (only relevant if the precise pairing wasn't specified)

o Are you still looking for a trade, and would you be willing to trade immediately if I had this egg for you?

Of course, there are a few assumptions baked into calling that "not an IOU", like that they get back to you within a few minutes after a "yes".

On the note of IOU, I consider any trade that can be done two-way when trading are not IOU. Anything that involves one party gives the other party something first, then a return of goods later is an IOU. But yeah, everyone has their own definitions.

I can only say, there are more out-in-the-blue trades than sensible trades in EATW. I've seen a lot of impossible trades, like gender-swap for xmas dragons, cb coloured stripes, cb past-year valentines, you name it. ><

Edited by hat17

I consider an IOU to be anything where you offer something you don't have on hand at that very moment. Granted, the 'I can breed it for you right now' types I am more tolerable toward, but I still don't like them in general. I like guarintees that the other person will have what they offered and with IOUs that is not always guarinteed.

I consider an IOU to be anything where you offer something you don't have on hand at that very moment. Granted, the 'I can breed it for you right now' types I am more tolerable toward, but I still don't like them in general. I like guarintees that the other person will have what they offered and with IOUs that is not always guarinteed.

yes, but patience can be required. what if they're locked and need to drop something? they'd get it to you within the time you sent a reply and you lose nothing because of it.

yes, but patience can be required. what if they're locked and need to drop something? they'd get it to you within the time you sent a reply and you lose nothing because of it.

Again: breeding results are not guarinteed. I would personally make the necessary ajdustments/do any breeding before I made the offer in the first place. That way, if the breeding doesn't turn out right, I haven't wasted the person's time.

Yes, but on the reverse side is --> I bred this egg according to what you wanted. You got three offers for the same egg and didn't pick mine and now I'm stuck trying to trade it off or dump it.

That is something I'm reluctant to do if it involves any of my nicer pairings. Especially as I am not looking to trade all that often anymore, so if I go to the effort of breeding a specific pair for a trade it's because I wanted the egg you offered, not some other random whatever I might get if I stick it in a trade thread.

So yeah, I generally try to pm before breeding a requested pairing.

Trading is getting tough these days.

A 4th gen gold can get zero offers and 3rd gen tinsels are impossible to get

Add caveborn blusangs to that list.

I can't be the only one who feels this way. Every time I see someone list that as the main thing they'll accept I just think "They who catches the blusangs controls the universe." (Bad Dune mis-quote, but you get the idea.)

I've just been stalking the AP and stocking up on BSAs lately as a result. :|

Edited by DorkJulian

What part of 'I don't accept IOUs' do they not understand (and it's even in big red letters in my sig)?  Yes, I consider 'I will breed it for you right now' an IOU, as there is no guarintee they will breed what I am after as a result.

To be honest I would consider that as an IOU/not an IOU on the context of the message.

'Do you want to trade for the future offspring of this dragon?' <an IOU

'I have a so-and-so ready to breed. If it produces do you want to trade for the offspring?' < not an IOU.

What stops the second example being an IOU, in my opinion, is that the person offering is not asking that you transfer now for a future egg/hatchling X weeks/months from now. In my eyes someone who sends a message like the second is checking if you've had a better offer, which I can understand if you're looking for a specific lineage or something in exchange for your trade.

Edited by KishaRa

Yeah... I understand why they did it, but I once PMed someone off a trade, specifically offering something on their wishlist, and was told "I'm looking for GOOD offers."

Yes, it was a common (bred with a specific lineage). Maybe I shouldn't have even wasted that person's time with the offer. But I actually tried to research what she might like, and a little "Thanks for looking at my wishlist, but I don't want to trade this for something that common," would have been nicer than implying I hadn't even tried.

Yeh, but then you take the time and trouble to go to their profile page to find their 'wishlist' and it's a Russian novel in length, with so many 'but not thises and not thats' and only ifs'. Then there's the famous, if you're offering a Tinsel make sure it's not a line I already have. YOU"RE the one wanting the trade, GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT YOU WANT. I don't care to have to wade through your spreadsheets, thanks.

Yeh, but then you take the time and trouble to go to their profile page to find their 'wishlist' and it's a Russian novel in length, with so many 'but not thises and not thats' and only ifs'. Then there's the famous, if you're offering a Tinsel make sure it's not a line I already have. YOU"RE the one wanting the trade, GIVE ME A CLUE WHAT YOU WANT. I don't care to have to wade through your spreadsheets, thanks.

This! If people requesting something from a very long wishlist or wanting me to look at spreadsheets it is likely that I am not going to make an offer. People want to save their time by pointing on a list, but why are they wasting mine? Especially when it comes to Tinsels it would be way easier if people whould post what they are missing instead of asking to look at what they already have.

The only "offer" I really hate getting is the "I'll breed whatever you like from my scroll for you!" offer. It annoys me so much that I put a note about it in my profile. Many peoples' scrolls aren't obviously organised and there are *no* tools for searching for things of interest. And it can take FOREVER to wade through potentially 1000s of dragons. Please just tell me what you have that might be interesting; don't make me work for *your* trade offer.

When I see wish lists that have "only from lines I don't have" like requirements, I generally just ignore the trade completely. Even if I want what is being offered. However if it is a "I need a 3rd Gen black not related to this black" I will check that, its not hard.

On the flip side of people wanting outrageous things for their trades... I typically just trade for the fun of it. I like to see what I can get. While I have gotten fantastic deals. I have also offered up things like CB Nebula's or Red's, for simple offers of CB's or Even Gens... and have gotten NOTHING. *shrugs* Goes both ways I guess.

Yeah, those offers are seriously overvalued - Nobody would go for it unless they were seriously in need. I do see some ridiculous trades, like a CB metallic for a messy common tongue.gif

Generally if you're patient you can get a good deal, but pushing too much can often backfire on you wink.gif

When I see wish lists that have "only from lines I don't have" like requirements, I generally just ignore the trade completely. Even if I want what is being offered. ...snip

THIS! Just exactly! If YOU can't take the time to post what you have/don't have or want/don't want - I don't have the time to go through your interminable lists of what you DO have.

Trades frustrate me anymore. I have a wishlist with pretty pictures, and I'll leave messages like "or a CB hatchling or two, and I like pretty-lineages, especially even-gens".

And nobody offers on anything except 2nd gen purebred metals unless I want to keep the trade up for three days. I was asking for an egg in exchange for a rather nice-lineaged checkerboard red hatchling, and no bites.

So from now on I think I'm going to leave the trading section alone, with the possible exception of the even-gen thread - at least until this Shimmer crazy dies down.

Trades frustrate me anymore.  I have a wishlist with pretty pictures, and I'll leave messages like "or a CB hatchling or two, and I like pretty-lineages, especially even-gens".

And nobody offers on anything except 2nd gen purebred metals unless I want to keep the trade up for three days.  I was asking for an egg in exchange for a rather nice-lineaged checkerboard red hatchling, and no bites.

So from now on I think I'm going to leave the trading section alone, with the possible exception of the even-gen thread - at least until this Shimmer crazy dies down.

We have some of the same frustrations, but one difference.

I may not be the norm, but I view the forum with images in the posts turned off, just because of the bandwidth many posted images eat up. The posts that include images become just massive blocks of code, and, if the lineage link is imbedded in the image, it goes nowhere for me. Unless there is a tradelink included, I rarely bother wading through these massive walls of text.

Regardless of that, the best response I've gotten for a trade WAS for 2nd gen Metal, and many trades get no response at all. As a result, most of my trades come through answering someone else's tradelink.

Edited for pre-coffee word mismatch.

Edited by dragongrrl

So is it just me, or is trading inflated?

It's not just you. I don't understand why this mass rush for getting eggs if this is a game of patience anyways. "I'll give my life for a ??? egg!". Why? The more pressure you put on owners, the higher the "price" will get. Well, this is ME and probably me only.

Offering via pm is awful indeed. You need to guess what the person wants and usually they don't even care to answer a "no, thank you".

Luckily there are fair people and some that still love to gift. So there's a chance of getting nice pixels from a gifting / trading thread. Unfortunately even these ones who gift are reducing, once all they ask for a gift is a "thank you" and some players don't even bother to state that.

Maybe not only trading is inflated, politeness is also too expensive. :/

Add caveborn blusangs to that list.

I can't be the only one who feels this way. Every time I see someone list that as the main thing they'll accept I just think "They who catches the blusangs controls the universe." (Bad Dune mis-quote, but you get the idea.)

I've just been stalking the AP and stocking up on BSAs lately as a result. :|

My Blusang experience has been very different. I can't find anything good to trade my CB Blusangs for. People who want CB Blusangs are offering CB Blacks/CB GW/CB Winters/CB Pinks or lineaged common/uncommons or long lineaged common tinsels. Things that just are not worth a CB Blusang because they are considerably easier to catch, imho.

Meanwhile people with low gen nice metals want other low gen metals and shimmers. Where does a CB Blusang fit in...nowhere really. I have gifted away far more CB Blusangs then found a good trade for. In fact I ended up just catching them to gift away.

I'm still quite "new" and, maybe for that reason, I can't remember a time when trading was easy. Initially I had nothing but commons and my pitiful offers, even if complying with the stated wishes (bunch of common hatchies), were not successful. I told myself that I needed to be patient and, since I was too new to have lineages, to learn how to catch eggs that people actually wanted. Last December I was finally trading: for example 4 Winters (pretty hard to catch at the time) for a 5th gen Metal with SW. I lectured myself again: I needed to learn how to catch CB metals so I could have blood-swaps etc. Well I did, now I've several metals and nobody seems to want to blood-swap. 2nd gen metals breeders (still) want what I don't have, a low gen shimmer.

I'm giving up on trading until the shimmers go out of fashion sad.gif

Edited by MegAnne

I'm still quite "new"  and, maybe for that reason, I can't remember a time when trading was easy. Initially I had nothing but commons and my pitiful offers, even if complying with the stated wishes (bunch of common hatchies), were not successful. I told myself that I needed to be patient and, since I was too new to have lineages, to learn how to catch eggs that people actually wanted. Last December I was finally trading: for example 4 Winters (pretty hard to catch at the time) for a 5th gen Metal with SW. I lectured myself again: I needed to learn how to catch CB metals so I could have blood-swaps etc. Well I did, now I've several metals and nobody seems to want to blood-swap. 2nd gen metals breeders (still) want what I don't have, a low gen shimmer.

I'm giving up on trading until the shimmers go out of fashion sad.gif

I don't remember a time when trading was easy either. I'm old on DC but new to trading.

Those common hatchling offers are probably very dependant on several factors the person asking for them is interested in, some like lineage, some are looking for certain breeds, and some just want as many as they can get for their trade.

Congratulations on getting your CB metals, but I think quite a few people have given up asking for bloodswaps until the shimmerscale craze has died off a bit. You could try putting a note in your sig or profile about wanting second gen silver/gold bloodswaps, but I'm not sure how many people actually look at those. I do but I normally have nothing that matches up to them.