lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

I've never traded an ND for a CB metal. rolleyes.gif Other things yes, but not CB metals. I don't ask for NDs in trades because for me the fun is the challenge and social aspect of making them. After that, they can sit on my scroll and be olive-green demonstrations of my 1337 skillz. xd.png

Edited by Amazon_warrior

That's what we meant, not the 'pm me for trading' with no trade link.

I know. I was talking generally about pming and the lack of trades. smile.gif

I agree with what has already been said. There is no need to complain you can't get a Shimmer right now - you'll get them eventually. There will be more than enough for everyone in a few months. Heck, I haven't even got one yet rolleyes.gif.

But I do agree too that there are too many shimmer-only trades at the moment; it's all anyone wants (which is understandable). But then again, I dislike trades in general nowadays. I only venture there to try to get the things I really want. That said, trading is, and has been, an extremely useful part of this game for me. Trading for a 2nd gen Tinsel, and trading 3rd gens from it for Metals and such - that is what got me to where I am today. I've never caught a CB Metal myself, I've never been gifted one, the five I have now are all from trades. Trading is very useful, even if some people (fuzzbucket tongue.gif) refuse to accept it. I suppose it depends on how you play.

As to Fuzzbucket's point; you may well put what you want in your sig and get it gifted to you. But, it doesn't happen very often to me. Of course, my short wishlist comprises nowadays of some of the most difficult things in DC to obtain, which is why I use trades. Nobody's going to give me a CB Gold or a 2nd gen Tinsel. rolleyes.gif

About NDs too; I don't have any, and I would never give up a CB Metal for one. I would like a set one day, for the sake of scroll completion, but I'm waiting until I have the time to make them myself, or they at least decrease a bit in value in trades. They aren't all that useful.

Edited by TheGrox

I agree with what has already been said. There is no need to complain you can't get a Shimmer right now - you'll get them eventually. There will be more than enough for everyone in a few months. Heck, I haven't even got one yet rolleyes.gif.

But I do agree too that there are too many shimmer-only trades at the moment; it's all anyone wants (which is understandable). But then again, I dislike trades in general nowadays. I only venture there to try to get the things I really want. That said, trading is, and has been, an extremely useful part of this game for me. Trading for a 2nd gen Tinsel, and trading 3rd gens from it for Metals and such - that is what got me to where I am today. I've never caught a CB Metal myself, I've never been gifted one, the five I have now are all from trades. Trading is very useful, even if some people (fuzzbucket tongue.gif) refuse to accept it. I suppose it depends on how you play.

As to Fuzzbucket's point; you may well put what you want in your sig and get it gifted to you. But, it doesn't happen very often to me. Of course, my short wishlist comprises nowadays of some of the most difficult things in DC to obtain, which is why I use trades. Nobody's going to give me a CB Gold or a 2nd gen Tinsel. rolleyes.gif

About NDs too; I don't have any, and I would never give up a CB Metal for one. I would like a set one day, for the sake of scroll completion, but I'm waiting until I have the time to make them myself, or they at least decrease a bit in value in trades. They aren't all that useful.

Fuzzbucket has nothing against trading per se (and please note - aimed at people in general, no-one in particular.. - that that is how that expression is spelt; fuzz is also a pedant !)

It is the attitude of some would-be traders that gets up her nose. She therefore prefers to work among friends who don't play the draggly stock market, OK ? She also gets PMs from people OFFERING to breed x y and z for something she can EASILY offer in return. I guess it's like the real world - the stock market, bonds and shares "and remember investments can go up or down" vs the LETS system. (and indeed, microlending systems like lendwithcare, in which fuzz also puts money at times !)

Fuzz notes that even YOU say you dislike trades in general nowadays... xd.png

Edited for typefail. I am supposed to be doing something else - which I am indeed doing with my other hand. NOT a good idea...

Edited by fuzzbucket

The one problem I see with trading these days is BUNDLING. A lot of good catchers are trading their awesome eggs as a bundle and metallic hoarders are also trading their low gen metals as such. What used to be a 1:1 trade has now taken a different form which makes it difficult to trade for just one dragon that you need. Almost all the bundles are asking for shimmers, which is of course understandable... smile.gif

ETA : Bundling reminds me of my cable company .. which I am battling atm. tongue.gif

Coupled with the you-know-what ban and the harassing notice, trading has become a real chore.

Edited by arlymaye

I understand bundling, heck - I have 2 CB magmas I've bundled in the trades today. People are trying to trade UP. For example, they have have bred golds, but they want a CB gold, so they bundle their bred offspring, in the hopes that someone values quantity over quality. It doesn't work, though. rolleyes.gif

ETA: I have gotten very tired of super messy-lineaged offers, though. I've had to add "Please no messy lineages" to my trade posts, and it still doesn't deter those offers. Especially on EatW. Blurgh. Why would I want your 37th gen inbred deep sea for my 2nd gen silver? I always want to ask those folks if they would make that trade from my side.

Edited by ShaladorsLady

Honestly a lot of the trade offers at Eggs Around the World seem ridiculous to me. "Have CB mint, would like 2nd gen shimmerscale and CB gold for it." I've had much better luck trading via the forums here. The thing other people mentioned about unreasonable offers sticking around longer makes sense.

(What really drives me crazy is when they put up an egg and mark it "for free" when they actually mean "make an offer" despite there being an option for that. Often it's something not that rare or with a messy lineage, so what am I supposed to think when you say that? It just seems kind of…unfriendly.)

There have been SOOOOO many times I'll see a trade, and wish there was a comment section right underneath it so I can put ".....seriously???" lol.

I don't trade very often, but when I do I 'try' to make it reasonable (I can't see the 'value' between different dragons, which makes this difficult). Last couple of days I've been trying to trade a full set of CB trios and a nice 5th gen stairstep X mirror stairstep bronze tin, with it written in the post I was only accepting things from my wishlist, which I provided a link to. Since I was also offering 'bundles' for a CB Gold, I asked for PMs.

I only got two PMs: from what they offered, it was obvious neither had even bothered to look at my wishlist (or didn't care and just decided to try anyway) to see if what they had was what I needed. Here's the kicker: I would have accepted any pink or red hatchlings for any of the stuff on offer, and those are listed on my wishlist.

Granted, I probably would have had a better response if I had typed out my wishlist (which isn't that big now) in each trade post (I was being lazy, just like how the people offering were too lazy to check the wishlist in my profile) and it doesn't help that I absolutely refuse to do any sort of IOUing, which puts me at a big disadvantage.

I did also look through other trade posts to see if people were offering what I needed, but every time what I needed was only being offered for things that I couldn't get myself (like shimmers).

It's...discouraging.

Seems like shimmers are causing the most problems in trading current. Like other people said though, that'll just take a bit of time. People always flock to the new thing, especially if they're ultra rare like shimmers are.

Yeah...Shimmers are impossible right now. I've been trying to trade a 2nd gen Gold and a couple of PB 2nd gen Black eggs along with anything else they desire from my scroll and have had zero luck. I don't even care what gen the Shimmer is...heck, I'll take anything - I just love the sprite xd.png

I don't know, two of the trades I've made have been through EAtW's dragonmarket, but I find you really need time to sort through what's on offer for what. It works best if you're looking for something specific I find. I really do dislike 'for free' being up instead of 'random dragon' or whatever it is.

I also find the phrase 'good offers' pretty intimidating, especially if it comes from someone with no wishlist or anything.

I don't know, two of the trades I've made have been through EAtW's dragonmarket, but I find you really need time to sort through what's on offer for what. It works best if you're looking for something specific I find. I really do dislike 'for free' being up instead of 'random dragon' or whatever it is.

I also find the phrase 'good offers' pretty intimidating, especially if it comes from someone with no wishlist or anything.

The 'good offer' thing I can definitely agree with. <_< I haven't been trading for long at all (or been on forums, either), so I don't really... know what a good offer would consist of. CBs? Good lineages? Metals? TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT. D:

Edited by Noxion

Yeah... I understand why they did it, but I once PMed someone off a trade, specifically offering something on their wishlist, and was told "I'm looking for GOOD offers."

Yes, it was a common (bred with a specific lineage). Maybe I shouldn't have even wasted that person's time with the offer. But I actually tried to research what she might like, and a little "Thanks for looking at my wishlist, but I don't want to trade this for something that common," would have been nicer than implying I hadn't even tried.

Edited by siliconrose

Fuzz notes that even YOU say you dislike trades in general nowadays... xd.png

tongue.gif The only reason I dislike trades personally is how annoying it is nowadays. It's sort of discouraging when you get offers of a cheese egg on a 2nd gen Silver, especially when you specifically state that you don't want unbreedables. Also, when you specifically state you want hatchies, and you get offered eggs. It's just annoying people that either think they can offer anything in the off-chance someone will accept it, or are being downright rude and ignoring people's wishes. It's sometimes newer players, but sometimes it's not. blink.gif

I think part of the problem is that many people don't seem to read past the 'Have' part of the post. Maybe a bunch of us should mix things up a bit by switcthing things around (the 'want/need' first, then the 'have')? Oh gods the confusion that would cause...but maybe it would get people to read the whole thing?

The only thing that's ever bothered me about trading is that I can't put up anything before ~19:00 my time without that it'll be ignored. Even trades I put into the League of Impatient Cave Cleaners will not result in reactions before that time, usually. That's not a problem during the week - I'm not home much earlier, anyway - but on weekends, it means I'm impatiently waiting for a good time to post up the trade. ...I rarely manage to see it through. laugh.gif 'Impatient' really is my byline. *sheepish look*

When people ask outrageous things for their trades, I'm not bothered. I'm aware they won't get them. smile.gif

I personally also don't find it rude when people try to offer something I don't want on a trade link. Declining is a click away. Even if I were bitterly inclined, I'd just say it's their time they're wasting, not mine - and sometimes, no time is wasted at all, and the offer is something I'm willing to consider and just hadn't thought of when writing my post! So I see no problem with it. In PMs it's a little different as it does take more than a click to respond, but comes with the benefit that I can openly recommend people IOU me something rather than try to offer something I don't want.

When people say 'good offers', I just mentally substitute that with 'offers'. That's what they mean. The "good" is implied in normal 'offers' requests anyway - obviously the trader is going to accept whatever is best for them, whatever that may be. So adding 'good' is superfluous.

For people who want others to look at their wishlist, though, advice from an impatient trader: Say a few things about what's on yours ('looking for some specific evengen lineages', for example). I personally tend to read wishlists, but I can imagine that some people just assume the usual unobtainables are on there and not much else, and so don't bother to click.

(This is an interesting thread to read, by the way.)

The only thing that's ever bothered me about trading is that I can't put up anything before ~19:00 my time without that it'll be ignored. Even trades I put into the League of Impatient Cave Cleaners will not result in reactions before that time, usually. That's not a problem during the week - I'm not home much earlier, anyway - but on weekends, it means I'm impatiently waiting for a good time to post up the trade. ...I rarely manage to see it through. laugh.gif 'Impatient' really is my byline. *sheepish look*

This so much. The cave wakes up just when I go to sleep, so I just have to make post then and hope I'll find good offers in the morning.

I'm also really irritated by offers consisting of multiple eggs (I'm talking about 3-4 eggs here). I mean, shouldn't it be obvious that I don't have that much space on my scroll at that time? And the cake take those offers that usually have only one thing I want and the rest are just random eggs. And, in a big number of those cases I want to PM that person, so that they can edit the link, or hatch those eggs, only to find that their scroll and forum name don't match.

I lost a big number of trades because of this. Moral of the day: if you want to sweeten the deal a bit, do it with a hatchling, not an egg.

Edited by PointOfOrigin

I have been so tempted to write a fansite which would be a better trading system. I'm not sure I could actually deliver, but there's so much which could be done in this space. The forums are a lousy trading system, and Eggs Around the World not much better.

I used to enjoy trading. The majority of my trade attempets, I'm just looking for a 1x1 swap. I can't find a 1x1 swap, never mind get an offer of one. I'm losing track of how many times I've coaxed a nice-lined rare out of my scrollful of critters & gone looking for a blood swap/other trade & the egg grows up on my scroll without receiving a single offer. It's either impossible to get offers, or the 2nd gen gold you've just bred isn't enough of an offer in itself.

I'm also really irritated by offers consisting of multiple eggs (I'm talking about 3-4 eggs here). I mean, shouldn't it be obvious that I don't have that much space on my scroll at that time? And the cake take those offers that usually have only one thing I want and the rest are just random eggs. And, in a big number of those cases I want to PM that person, so that they can edit the link, or hatch those eggs, only to find that their scroll and forum name don't match.

I lost a big number of trades because of this. Moral of the day: if you want to sweeten the deal a bit, do it with a hatchling, not an egg.

Oh my god, this. Some people think that offering me like 5 eggs will convince me (seriously got PMed such an offer before, multiple times). Do any of the people who do this actually look at my scroll to see if I even have the space for that? Now when I do post a trade, which is fairly uncommon, I have to specifically tell people to limit the amount of eggs they offer.

Edited by Commander Wymsy

Oh my god, this. Some people think that offering me like 5 eggs will convince me (seriously got PMed such an offer before, multiple times). Do any of the people who do this actually look at my scroll to see if I even have the space for that? Now when I do post a trade, which is fairly uncommon, I have to specifically tell people to limit the amount of eggs they offer.

The last trade I posted had my usual message about hatchies being preferred because I'm almost always scroll locked. I received one rather nice offer, but it was with 3 eggs!

Some people read very well, others...

Oh well.

This is a fascinating topic.

I used to enjoy trading. The majority of my trade attempets, I'm just looking for a 1x1 swap. I can't find a 1x1 swap, never mind get an offer of one. I'm losing track of how many times I've coaxed a nice-lined rare out of my scrollful of critters & gone looking for a blood swap/other trade & the egg grows up on my scroll without receiving a single offer. It's either impossible to get offers, or the 2nd gen gold you've just bred isn't enough of an offer in itself.

Honestly, I think that's because people miss each other's bloodswap posts a lot, much more than it's a lack of the bloodswaps not existing or being desired. I wanted to make a trading thread specifically for bloodswaps once, but the mods said no, so... laugh.gif (Obviously, no idea if they'd still have that opinion now, I think I asked a year ago or so? ...time flies.)

But as a rule (and a tip! for those unaware), raising a critter to hatchling stage before offering it tends to sweeten the deal. For example, I was looking for a dino swap the other day and I got no offers on the egg - but once I'd hatched it, I got an offer within minutes. Obviously that means sacrificing an egg slot, but in my opinion, it's really often worth it, and offering hatchlings sweetens the deal so much for people. happy.gif;

The one problem I see with trading these days is BUNDLING. A lot of good catchers are trading their awesome eggs as a bundle and metallic hoarders are also trading their low gen metals as such.

Homg, yes. If I want only one of their eggs, I don't have anything nice enough offer for it. I have a tendency that, despite there being something that I really want, if I feel like my offer is inadequate enough to be considered an "insult" to the trade starter, I won't offer at all. The bundling is really not good in that regard, sigh. >:

For the bloodswaps trades, I do see them, and I try to get a Gen that is as close to theirs as I can. If it's like one or two gens off, I'll add three other hatchlings or suitable CBs so it kind of makes it fair, but I don't always have nice enough things to do that. It's kind of a "hope you have something that just happens to be good for a trade at the time."

I noticed the "boom" in metallic breeding, and I'm really sorry that so many people are having issues trading them. D: I know how inflation works very well, though I can't really see how the metallics are becoming "less useful," especially at very low Gens. The boom is really useful for me because before Golds/Silvers were impossible for me to obtain unless messy. I'm having better luck now, though like Arylmaye stated, since the "boom" is helping breeding, a lot of people are breeding them all at one time and then bundling. I just don't have that kind of resources at just that time to make the trade equal, fff. o.o;

I am currently on a huge Gold/Silver hunt, though. However, mine never seem to breed despite the "boom," which is just weird. xd.png;So if anyone wants to trade or accept an IOU of a dozen+ uncommon/rare CB hatchlings, I would totally love it. |D *is shameless*

Overall, the metallic "boom" causing the bundling issue is what is giving me the largest issue.