lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

The post said there were 12 shimmers ON HER SCROLL. And drabrugon isn't the person whose post I was primarily objecting to, it was the person who said River had those shimmers on her scroll.

No worries, fuzz. I think I already made clear what my opinion on the matter is. My reply was mainly directed at Vhale wink.gif

This being said, I don't think we should turn this thread into an argument about Shimmer owners and what they are entitled to ask for their offspring. My own policy on the matter still is to wait until the initial Shimmer hysteria has died down a bit. That point will be reached eventually... probably even sooner if the CB Metals decide to drop less frequently again, so that their own trade value is bound to rise.

I hate to drag this out, but I'm pretty sure they meant to say 'CB metals', not shimmers.  Otherwise, the numbers don't match up.

That said, I'm pretty sure this is way off topic and getting way out of hand. People can trade, catch and collect however they want.

They don't add up at all. That's the point.

But if we weren't all so mad keen for shimmers that we make daft offers for them, none of this would happen anyway Yes we can trade as we want - but if we make mad offers, we can't then be surprised if demands for even more shoot up. The people offering 20 CB golds for a shimmer are as much to "blame" as those asking for that much.

Those who offer heaps push up the demands just as much as those making the demands - whatever the trade is for. IMHO 5 2nd gen golds for a CB gold is pushing it - so I wouldn't offer. If someone does - that's their choice. Don't offer if you think a demand is unreasonable. That's all anyone can do. If you offer a lot - presumably that's OK with you - so no cause to complain.

Edited by fuzzbucket

So I'm a bit conflicted. I recently got a third gen bronze Shimmer egg. The breeder was very kind and I got a fair deal for a spot on their list (two cb thunders and two cb blacks....when trios were dropping easily in the cave).

Anyway, when my Shimmer grows up I am planning on trading for reasonable things (in my eyes) like cb springs, trihorns and some other stuff I need to complete my scroll goals. But....I have zero cb silvers on my scroll. Nada. Zilch. And I would dearly love to get a couple so I can have one male and one female. Would asking for one cb silver be too much for a 4th gen Shimmer? Just 1:1....and only if metals are still dropping fairly frequently in the cave.

I dunno. I don't want to come off as greedy....but on the other hand I've been wanting a couple of cb silvers ever since I started playing back in 2008 unsure.gif

People had been offering way more then just one CB metal. If they are willing to pay, go for it, especially since you don't have any. People offering CB metals, can obviously easily get more, and you trading one egg purely for yourself won't hurt anyone. It's your dragon. If people aren't ashamed of asking 5-6 CB metals for a 5th gen IOU, why would you feel guilty for one?

Edited by PointOfOrigin

So I'm a bit conflicted.  I recently got a third gen bronze Shimmer egg.  The breeder was very kind and I got a fair deal for a spot on their list (two cb thunders and two cb blacks....when trios were dropping easily in the cave). 

Anyway, when my Shimmer grows up I am planning on trading for reasonable things (in my eyes) like cb springs, trihorns and some other stuff I need to complete my scroll goals.  But....I have zero cb silvers on my scroll.  Nada.  Zilch.  And I would dearly love to get a couple so I can have one male and one female.  Would asking for one cb silver be too much for a 4th gen Shimmer?  Just 1:1....and only if metals are still dropping fairly frequently in the cave. 

I dunno.  I don't want to come off as greedy....but on the other hand I've been wanting a couple of cb silvers ever since I started playing back in 2008  unsure.gif

I think you can always ask. Maybe there is someone chatching silvers easily who thinks it is a fair trade.

I have no cb silvers myself, and nobody offerd one for a offspring from Seaglory so far xd.png

But I still hope to get one one off these days

edited for typos

Edited by ulki

They don't add up at all. That's the point.

But if we weren't all so mad keen for shimmers that we make daft offers for them, none of this would happen anyway Yes we can trade as we want - but if we make mad offers, we can't then be surprised if demands for even more shoot up. The people offering 20 CB golds for a shimmer are as much to "blame" as those asking for that much.

Those who offer heaps push up the demands just as much as those making the demands - whatever the trade is for. IMHO 5 2nd gen golds for a CB gold is pushing it - so I wouldn't offer. If someone does - that's their choice. Don't offer if you think a demand is unreasonable. That's all anyone can do. If you offer a lot - presumably that's OK with you - so no cause to complain.

None of it adds up. It's a rather personal attack on an individual member to begin with. Pretty poor tastes, no matter what they've got on their scroll.

The metal boom compounded the problem, as others have mentioned. The sudden availability made the value of the 'most valuable' rares available to catch in the game plummet. That sandwiched on top of other 'generally' considered values for other breeds. I've been hunting the cave a lot, and I've seen more metals than dinos, chickens or blusangs. They're still highly coveted, though, compared to the rest because of either their perceived value or those who especially value the sprite.

I've seen a lot less the last few days than last week, though, so the problem will hopefully take care of itself a bit. Though the massive amounts of IOUs will likely keep the really wanted lineages less available to most for a while longer. I saw someone with an IOU list for a dragon that they're 27th in line for. Wow. I've got nothing against IOUs, but since people are clamoring after Shimmers so badly right now, that's a lot of trade already taken care of on the back burner if you're looking for something right now, so I think a lot of people who are offering those astronomical amounts of metals are thinking and hoping to get a quick turn around to try and 'make back' their 'investment'.

But I find all of this comparison to real world economics a little weird. Not that it isn't, fundamentally, but I've seen a lot of people throwing around 'haves' and 'have nots' and getting very heated and angry like the person accusing River of not being 'as nice as they're acting'. I understand the frustration with how rare the prizes are compared to the population of the cave, which is another topic entirely, but people are getting pretty mean on both sides.

So I'm a bit conflicted. I recently got a third gen bronze Shimmer egg. The breeder was very kind and I got a fair deal for a spot on their list (two cb thunders and two cb blacks....when trios were dropping easily in the cave).

Anyway, when my Shimmer grows up I am planning on trading for reasonable things (in my eyes) like cb springs, trihorns and some other stuff I need to complete my scroll goals. But....I have zero cb silvers on my scroll. Nada. Zilch. And I would dearly love to get a couple so I can have one male and one female. Would asking for one cb silver be too much for a 4th gen Shimmer? Just 1:1....and only if metals are still dropping fairly frequently in the cave.

I dunno. I don't want to come off as greedy....but on the other hand I've been wanting a couple of cb silvers ever since I started playing back in 2008 unsure.gif

If you don't want to seem greeding by asking 1-2 cb silvers for a 4th gen shimmer you could have a look at the "rare trading thread", choose the first offer you like of cb metallics for a shimmer of any generation and offer your shiny. This was you won't be asking for anything, just giving tongue.gif

If I ever had a 3rd gen shimmer I want to gift most of its offsprings, but I'd use one of the firsts to get a cb silver (I only miss a male silver to have my humble scroll goal of one cb pair of every metallic). So I think it is perfectly in your right to ask for some metallics if you still miss them. And don't fear to be greedy when there are people refusing 6 cb metals for a 5th gen shimmer because they are not enough

If you don't want to seem greeding by asking 1-2 cb silvers for a 4th gen shimmer you could have a look at the "rare trading thread", choose the first offer you like of cb metallics for a shimmer of any generation and offer your shiny. This was you won't be asking for anything, just giving tongue.gif

If I ever had a 3rd gen shimmer I want to gift most of its offsprings, but I'd use one of the firsts to get a cb silver (I only miss a male silver to have my humble scroll goal of one cb pair of every metallic). So I think it is perfectly in your right to ask for some metallics if you still miss them. And don't fear to be greedy when there are people refusing 6 cb metals for a 5th gen shimmer because they are not enough

Yeah that's what I was going to do....put cb silver as top priority but I'll of course look at other offers. And I would do this with the first two eggs. After that I was going to alternate between gifting and asking for easy to get eggs or hatchlings. I'm just hoping to get a couple of cb silvers while people are still able to get them in the cave. I wouldn't even think of asking if they were super scarce like before.

I think drabrugon was referring to the fact that River has a list of Shimmer IOUs for the offspring of which she has already traded IOUs as well. Meaning Shimmers she 'owns' but hasn't received yet.

That was exactly what I wanted to say. Thank you, Rubin.

Oh and of course the trades others make are irrelevant to me. But we are talking about trading inflation here and how it works and what can be done about it. I just felt like pointing out how the factor "time" directly refers to paying a very huge and valuable amount of something and get a nearly worthless something in return for it. River was a good example, that is all. Isn't it a nice gesture of a disgruntled person to do so, just in case there is anybody out there who doesn't know about how the market here works?

So I'm a bit conflicted.  I recently got a third gen bronze Shimmer egg.  The breeder was very kind and I got a fair deal for a spot on their list (two cb thunders and two cb blacks....when trios were dropping easily in the cave). 

Anyway, when my Shimmer grows up I am planning on trading for reasonable things (in my eyes) like cb springs, trihorns and some other stuff I need to complete my scroll goals.  But....I have zero cb silvers on my scroll.  Nada.  Zilch.  And I would dearly love to get a couple so I can have one male and one female.  Would asking for one cb silver be too much for a 4th gen Shimmer?  Just 1:1....and only if metals are still dropping fairly frequently in the cave. 

I dunno.  I don't want to come off as greedy....but on the other hand I've been wanting a couple of cb silvers ever since I started playing back in 2008  unsure.gif

You trade your egg for whatever you want, regardless of other people. You would regret and quite frankly be silly to not take advantage of the metal boom to fulfill a scroll dream/goal just because of what a few others may or may not think of you. You have no business feeling guilty about playing the game how you want, and other people have no business telling you how to play it. The majority of people understand and if they are not in a position to trade shimmers for CB metals, they at least are sensible enough to know that they would do the very same if in that position.

The people calling others greedy because those other people have what they want, are going to get shimmers in a matter of months max. Then they will lay off their name calling and where does that leave you....regretting having not taken an opportunity to finally get those CB Silvers you so desperately want...feeling guilted and bullied into going without, when you had a chance to get what you really wanted? Feeling resentful maybe?

This lunacy has to stop. People aggressively calling others greedy for making the trades they want. People feeling guilty for not trading away their treasured dragons for what they don't want...or giving them away.

I hate to sound like a broken record but TJ has stated over and over....

There is no such thing as hoarding or greed, everyone is free to play the game the way they want to.

Trading fluctuates and if people don't take advantage of fluctuations like this, then they will never get ahead. It will return to normal at some point and things within our grasp right now, will again not be. The whole object of the game is to get what you want on your scroll. So get out there and get it. Don't worry about what other people think because it is impossible to please everybody.

You cannot win in trying to please people, therefore do what you WANT to do and be happy. xd.png

Edited by Dubious

I don't think we should be publicly picking apart the trading choices of other players, not even semi-anonymously. If one player doesn't want to trade their shimmer for 6 metals, or another doesn't want to trade theirs for 12 trios, or anything else, then they don't have to. Even if they accepted a trade like that from another player once. Even if they said they wanted a trade like that on their trade post. We're all entitled to change our minds, and no one HAS to trade their eggs at all if they don't want to. If they're being rude about it then contact a mod, but otherwise, just leave them be.

If the issue is that you feel guilty asking for CB metals when the person who gave you your shimmer asked you only for commons, you could always alternate. Ask for a CB silver for its first egg, then ask for commons for its second egg, then a silver for its third egg, and so on. That way you'd get your silvers and still be able to pass on your happy experience of getting a shimmer for an attainable price. :-)

Edited by tjekan

Dubious, that was well put, bro. Tjekan has a point too.

I came into the thread earlier mostly to point out how it felt like the shimmers were causing a vortex in trading. I specifically came back to the forums during the start of the metal rush to try and possibly trade for a metal or two so it would make my gifting/personal scroll goals go faster. I ran into a massive brick wall that was actually caused by both the scarcity of the shimmers compiled with the sudden rain of metals.

We've got a ripple effect going down what DarkEternity equated to trading "Tiers". It affects just about everyone looking to trade up or down through the tiers. It was just bad timing for anyone -NOT- looking for shimmers. Resulting in a lot of frustration, but never should it result in any kind of insults/ect being flung.

No one should think 'poorly' of anyone who wants to trade their rares for lesser things, if that's what they want nor should they feel bad for trading for what they feel is equal value. The only problem I've had with anything is the obvious imbalance that's being caused currently with no real way of evening it out other then waiting patiently for it to end up fixing itself. It's all just bad timing if you don't have your heart set on getting in on these early stages of shimmer exchanges.

This thread is going from talking about what we all feel is causing trading inflation to a shimmer vent thread. It's not the shimmers fault. Not entirely, at any rate. There are so many things playing a part in all of it and I feel like there are some that are completely missing that part of it entirely.

Edited by Bu-tan

*reads the last few pages*

Really, I can only see one problem in this thread, and it is not so much trading inflation. It is people's attitude.

The fact that I see people feeling guilty about asking for CB Metals, even if they have none already, for Shimmers, is absurd. It has been said time and again; people are free to play as they want, there is no such thing as hoarding. If you want CB Metals, then get them while you can. People trying to make themselves look better than others by saying how they give away Shimmers or trade them away cheaply, people attacking others, this is all because of this attitude some people have.

Even if there is a 'problem' with trades, it isn't just Shimmers.

Honestly, this whole attitude makes me want to trade my Shimmers for more metals, just because it bugs me how some people seem to think that they deserve to be able to trade for a low gen Shimmer with only a few hatchies or lineages. I will trade for what I want when I want, nobody should feel pressured into gifting/trading things away cheaply, etc.

>.>

Edit; I agree with what Dubious said above, too. Well said. ^^

Edited by TheGrox

^Pretty much what Grox said.

I personally find that Shimmers are a reason and that the traders caused the madness.

First of all we have different groups of people.

1) People overpricing Shimmers and giving huge offers.

2) People lucky enough to take advantage of it.

3) People watching and thinking that all Shimmer trades are like that.

And that's not true. I can give myself as an example - that pretty Shimmer right now on my scroll? I traded 4th gen Silver X SW stairstep and a 4th gen from spriter's alt for it. And I do not believe that that's out of reach for most people here. Another Shimmer trade? Breed trios. It's not impossible to find a nice Shimmer trade for a reasonable price. You just have to find the right people. Which admittedly brings one more problem.

Behind the curtains trade. Right now, all those deals that were made for IOUs of IOUs make Shimmers out to be rarer then they really are.

I totally get what you guys are saying. ._.

I recently came back to DragCave after about a two and a half year break - I sort of ragequit after loss of internet while I was moving caused me to be inactive for so long that all of my dragons's names were deleted. When I saw that trading and BSAs had been added, I was all, 'Yay! I can finally get that gold I've needed for so long!'

Except, I found out that all these prize dragons had been added and that you can't get a metal unless you have some fancy lineage or that same exact metal - or a caveborn of that metal. I've never had any luck with the cave - Hell, I don't have luck with the abandoned page, either, even when it comes to commons. I tried to grab four different Nocturne eggs (you know, the ones that sit there for ten to fifteen minutes at a time?) last night from the AP and all of them were gotten by someone else first.

My internet is really slow. Even if I was the first person to click on an egg, by the time the page loads, someone's gotten it. So it really sucks that the only way I'd ever be able to get a Shimmerscale, even though all I really want is a single bronze one, is to get a whole pile of CB eggs that I can't get my hands on.

Now, I can understand inflation, and that doesn't really bother me - if you have something rare, you want something rare in return. You don't trade a diamond for a cubic zirconium. But what really upsets me is people fussing about lineages. A dragon is a dragon is a dragon, and back when I started no one cared if it was 20th gen or if it had 30 different breeds in its lineage - they just wanted those eggs for their scroll, so they could get a complete collection (though inbreeding was a no-no). I even saw someone say that they got a gold wyvern egg from the AP and abandoned it because the 'lineage wasn't good enough'. I was like, 'D::: WHY'.

But anyway, rant over. Yeah, it's frustrating, but there's nothing we can really do except stop offering such expensive trades for Shimmers and the like. As hard as it is to get the eggs, they'll eventually get desperate enough to where they'll take one CB gold as opposed to two CB golds and two CB silvers. The power is in your hands! -dramatic pose-

I know what you mean about the AP... I had better luck trying to grab eggs from the bottom rather than the top. It seems everyone else is hunting at the top, and they just fly by. Or something - I don't know exactly. tongue.gif

As for the metallics, though, I have two golds and two silvers up for trade and have received no offers. I will confess I'm being a bit picky with one of the silvers (2nd gen purebred, I'm working on a purebred silver lineage project and hoping for new blood), but the other silver and both golds I'm only looking for a few hatchlings, CB or 2nd gen for hybrids are what I'm specifically asking for, but I like purebreds and low-gen eggs and things like that too.

Usually I have luck when I get specific with what I'm hoping for and then paste a note "or other offers that are similar" but today just doesn't seem to be my day for that.

I know what you mean about the AP... I had better luck trying to grab eggs from the bottom rather than the top. It seems everyone else is hunting at the top, and they just fly by. Or something - I don't know exactly. tongue.gif

As for the metallics, though, I have two golds and two silvers up for trade and have received no offers. I will confess I'm being a bit picky with one of the silvers (2nd gen purebred, I'm working on a purebred silver lineage project and hoping for new blood), but the other silver and both golds I'm only looking for a few hatchlings, CB or 2nd gen for hybrids are what I'm specifically asking for, but I like purebreds and low-gen eggs and things like that too.

Usually I have luck when I get specific with what I'm hoping for and then paste a note "or other offers that are similar" but today just doesn't seem to be my day for that.

I hear you there, though I did get 'lucky' with my lineaged Metals, getting a number of nice CB hatchlings for them. And I did have people offering some pretty Metals that I sadly had to decline because I had no CB Holidays to continue the linages with. :/

Now, I can understand inflation, and that doesn't really bother me - if you have something rare, you want something rare in return. You don't trade a diamond for a cubic zirconium. But what really upsets me is people fussing about lineages. A dragon is a dragon is a dragon, and back when I started no one cared if it was 20th gen or if it had 30 different breeds in its lineage - they just wanted those eggs for their scroll, so they could get a complete collection (though inbreeding was a no-no). I even saw someone say that they got a gold wyvern egg from the AP and abandoned it because the 'lineage wasn't good enough'. I was like, 'D::: WHY'.

The site totally agrees with you, but players have become much more discerning for various reasons.

The trouble is picking apart a number of superficially "identical" items (dragons of the same breed). We're not computers, so we all attach different values to whatever incremental differences exist between those apparently identical things. So, this one might have a nice code. Or that one has a really untidy lineage. The other perhaps has interesting parents. Or maybe that one has *no* parents. And ultimately it's the only way we can decide which one we want. As the site's added more tools to pick apart these apparently identical items, we've all become choosier as a result because we have more differences to examine and place values on. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this assigning of value may be a fundamental human trait...

Another factor is the space limits - we have finite room for growing dragons, so it makes sense to only want to use that space for the "best" stuff you can get, right?

I think if you want silvers, go for silvers!

Perhaps Rubin, but that wouldn't answer the BSAs. But I've pretty much stated my opinion on it too, which is treat others as you want to be treated. More than that and I'm sure I'd just get into a flame war and the mods would close the thread.

Yes Amazon it is. People always create value systems. The other is that people want things NOW and make up all manner of conspiracy theories when they don't get what they want, TODAY.

The site totally agrees with you, but players have become much more discerning for various reasons.

The trouble is picking apart a number of superficially "identical" items (dragons of the same breed). We're not computers, so we all attach different values to whatever incremental differences exist between those apparently identical things. So, this one might have a nice code. Or that one has a really untidy lineage. The other perhaps has interesting parents. Or maybe that one has *no* parents. And ultimately it's the only way we can decide which one we want. As the site's added more tools to pick apart these apparently identical items, we've all become choosier as a result because we have more differences to examine and place values on. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this assigning of value may be a fundamental human trait...

Another factor is the space limits - we have finite room for growing dragons, so it makes sense to only want to use that space for the "best" stuff you can get, right?

I think you missed my point, though. Yeah, I suppose it is human nature to place value where it needn't be placed, but I personally can't understand that. Even though I likely wouldn't be able to trade its offspring for anything of value, I'd be just as happy with a 10th generation metal as I would be a 2nd generation, regardless of messy lineage or if it was inbred. I just want to someday say I have at least one of every dragon.

Don't get me wrong, I think cool lineages are neat, and I'm starting to work on one myself. I just don't see why people obsess over them. People'd practically offer their kin for the offspring of a fancy dragon like Penk.

'I like that dragon you have up for trade. It's a stairstep from Penk. My offer's three CB golds, and I'll throw in my firstborn and my uncle, too.'

I mean, if that's what they like, then okay. It's definitely a plus to have a cool family tree, after all! But it's just weird to me personally to reject a dragon just because it /doesn't/ have a fancy lineage.

I think you missed my point, though. Yeah, I suppose it is human nature to place value where it needn't be placed, but I personally can't understand that. Even though I likely wouldn't be able to trade its offspring for anything of value, I'd be just as happy with a 10th generation metal as I would be a 2nd generation, regardless of messy lineage or if it was inbred. I just want to someday say I have at least one of every dragon.

That's the thing. A lot of people, especially forum users, have been playing this game for years and already HAVE one of every dragon. So as not to become bored of the game, they have set themselves new goals. And... there aren't a lot of variables in this game to use to set new goals with. You can aim to have a greater number of some particular dragon or dragons, or you can aim to create a really special lineage or lineages. Or both. :-)

^Most of us start like that, but once your collection starts filling in, you have nothing else to collect but neater things or CBs. It's just something to keep us occupied.

Don't get me wrong, I think cool lineages are neat, and I'm starting to work on one myself. I just don't see why people obsess over them. People'd practically offer their kin for the offspring of a fancy dragon like Penk.

'I like that dragon you have up for trade. It's a stairstep from Penk. My offer's three CB golds, and I'll throw in my firstborn and my uncle, too.'

I mean, if that's what they like, then okay. It's definitely a plus to have a cool family tree, after all! But it's just weird to me personally to reject a dragon just because it /doesn't/ have a fancy lineage.

Ah, gotcha. I was pondering that too, though, and I think that's part of the natural progression of the game. Initially, a new player may just grab eggs at random according to what takes their fancy. Then perhaps they decide that it would be nice to own at least one of each sprite/breed. Then perhaps they realise that many of their dragons have long/random lineages and it'd be nice to try and get CBs instead. And so on. Obviously there are variations and cul-de-sacs that different people follow, but that seems to be a typical progression. Just sticking with "get one of each sprite"* wouldn't actually take very long (you could theoretically manage it in less than a year) and result in a very short "game". Making lineages important is just another way for people to "spin out" their play time and give themselves new goals to aim for.

*Within the current limits of availability.

tl;dr: What PointOfOrigin said. wink.gif

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Yeah, I suppose. I guess it's a difference in perspectives. One man's trash is another man's treasure, after all - even if that 'trash' is 'living' and made of gold, ha! Even as a player since '08, though, I still have a pretty long way to go before I reach that goal, and for me I know it's unattainable due to the addition of prize dragons. I understand people's reasoning better now, though, so thanks!

And now I think of it, even if they were to throw away a rare egg they didn't want, at least someone else has a chance to get it, maybe someone who doesn't have that egg. So it's a good thing that they're not just hoarding them because they're shiny and rare. xd.png

Yeah, I suppose. I guess it's a difference in perspectives. One man's trash is another man's treasure, after all - even if that 'trash' is 'living' and made of gold, ha! Even as a player since '08, though, I still have a pretty long way to go before I reach that goal, and for me I know it's unattainable due to the addition of prize dragons. I understand people's reasoning better now, though, so thanks!

And now I think of it, even if they were to throw away a rare egg they didn't want, at least someone else has a chance to get it, maybe someone who doesn't have that egg. So it's a good thing that they're not just hoarding them because they're shiny and rare. xd.png

I definitely understand that - I can still remember the thrill I felt at catching my first ever Gold from the AP during Valentine's in '09, even though it had a long, random lineage (I think he may be inbred, too). But eventually I did look for metals with tidier lineages because breeding pretty lineages has kind of become my *thing* on DC. smile.gif