lundfamily3

Trading Inflation

I sometimes lowball myself on trades, like right now, being willing to trade a CB black for a few male CB Sunstones simply because I need the Sunstones RIGHT NOW for a lineage project and the CB Black serves no purpose whatsoever except as trade fodder. I also managed to snag a Neglected for the cost of 6 CB reds, which was INSANELY low to me, since capturing CB reds has always been easy.

I have also literally GIVEN non-inbred golds away to people without them. Sometimes I do TRY to get "higher" eggs for "lower" ones, such as wanting a CB Ice in exchange for a CB black or various colored stripes.

I actually love the hyperinflated trade listings. I found a very forcefully-worded one off-site yesterday that demanded two CB blue stripes in return for their one CB vamp egg. After I stopped laughing, I felt bad that they hadn't left contact info so there was no way for me to gently explain to them why that trade wasn't going to finish the way they wanted anytime soon.

(Seriously, two caveborn blue stripes?)

If it's the one I saw I had the same reaction! If I remember correctly, they would've also accepted a CB green or black stripe as well. laugh.gif

My problem with trading is timing. Always I had those last week, or now everyone wants to trade for 'it' and next week, I have 'it', but everyone wants a new 'it'.

(Seriously, two caveborn blue stripes?)

I'm cracking up at that one. I think the number makes it even better - two dragons that would be available to maybe a ten thousandth of all DC users. laugh.gif

when they ask for a specific thing and you get what they ask for and offer it to them yet they reject the offer

For me, the problem is that I'll get more than one offer that I really want to accept! I'll pretty much always take what I asked for over anything else, but because I ask for relatively easy stuff (dragons that'll actually breed most of the time) I do get a bunch of offers. It pains me to turn a bunch down when I'd love those eggs just as much.

Until recently I wanted CB BSA dragons... and now I think CB Metallics are worth more only because I don't have them yet.

Some outrageous trades are always there, but I think there are plenty of good ones around on both EATW/forums. I think it's mostly about what a person wants (in slightly above/below normal trades). People know they can trade faster if they ask for rare A, but they still ask rare B ONLY which is harder to catch, because they've no requirement of rare A. This is what I've seen mostly in dc trades. 90% of the times I have had trade success, and the 10% failure is acceptable because mostly I just trade things I'm planning to keep anyway but put in trade for a specific offer in case someone steps forward.

I choose to ignore all trades that I personally do not deem worthy, outrageous or not, but I feel everyone has the right to ask for what they want (unless it's not possible at all, like asking for cb on hybrid breeds). If they don't get offers they'll soon realize themselves what clicks and what doesn't.

I have recently come back from a break. The first thing I did was go to the DC wiki to see the new breeds. Then I went to the AP, Trading, etc. Looking to see if I could find the eggs. Finally I just decided I would go and trade for uncommons at Eggs Around the World. In the Dragon Market I see a CB Royal Blue hatchie, and I look to see what the owner wants.

They want 4 CB Golden Wyverns. A lot of trades I have seen recently seem outrageous, especially ones like 10th Gen Arrowhead Silvers going for 3 CB Golds. Who has three CB gold eggs/hatchlings at one time?

So is it just me, or is trading inflated?

~

Note: This isn't a trading topic tongue.gif

Haha, like someone would trade a couple of cb golds for a long lineaged silver rolleyes.gif I don't think anyone has ever managed to arrange a trade like that laugh.gif

Atlhough I got a very good trade myself a couple of months ago. I caught a cb gold with a specific date. Someone pm'd me to ask if I wanted to trade it for another cb gold with a different date, a cb silver and 3 neglecteds. I wasn't planning on trading the cb gold because it was my first one but this offer was so good I just couldn't refuse it. The person who made that offer wanted a cb gold with that specific date as a birthday present for a friend but I think this kind of trades are very rare and I was extremely lucky that someone made such a generous offer for my egg.

I honestly give up with trading. There's just too many people who overvalue their dragons, it's getting hard to find decent trades. A 3rd gen Silver is NOT worth a CB Gold, and will never be. Nor is a 2nd gen Red hatchling, for that matter. And putting "CB Gold - I can dream lol" at the end of your post doesn't make it all fine, either.

But there's nothing we can do about this, really. I would be quite within my rights to post "Have: 12th gen messy inbred Mint, Want: CB Gold".

I pretty much gave up, too. I used to trade all the time, but now everyone is asking for insane things that aren't fair and I'm just like .__.

And once, when the Blunsangs were first released, I had 3 in my possesion and put as one of my wants "CB ND (lol like that'll happen) and someone actually PM'd me and I got an ND out of it xd.png

And once, when the Blunsangs were first released, I had 3 in my possesion and put as one of my wants "CB ND (lol like that'll happen) and someone actually PM'd me and I got an ND out of it xd.png [/color]

O_O Dang. (enough said).

Anyways, after the initial hype of the new Prize dragons die down (about 3 months perhaps?) would people still offer negs and metallics for 2nd and 3rd gens?

O_O Dang. (enough said).

Anyways, after the initial hype of the new Prize dragons die down (about 3 months perhaps?) would people still offer negs and metallics for 2nd and 3rd gens?

xd.png

Probably. 2nd gen Tinsels still seem to go for that after being around for what, two years, now?

O_O Dang. (enough said).

Yup. 3rd gens I'm not sure but 2nd gens will eventually get even harder to get so I guess they will keep being traded for cb golds and neglecteds

I've done something similar once. It was my first trading attempt xd.png I had a Split(not even sure if it was CB) and wanted a CB metal in exchange (which I obviously didn't get). My knowledge on lineages was still pretty slim and I thought Splits were pretty rare because I hardly saw them at the time. Ah good old newbie times...

Well I can’t comprehend the trading system, except that it seems to be on a ‘what I most need/want’ basis. I'm kind of wary of trying in case I get ripped off or end up on this thread (or one like it) for a stupid want.

I suppose I should be looking for trades to complete my scroll but eh, I have very little of any value so *shrug* guess I’ll have to hunt the cave.

I’d like two CB blue stripes… Have to win two raffles I guess.

For the most part, when I see trades that get made that seem rather unbalanced it's because A. Someone is really focused on collecting a certain thing, B. The eggs involved are new, C. They need something very specific. For instance:

Atlhough I got a very good trade myself a couple of months ago. I caught a cb gold with a specific date. Someone pm'd me to ask if I wanted to trade it for another cb gold with a different date, a cb silver and 3 neglecteds. I wasn't planning on trading the cb gold because it was my first one but this offer was so good I just couldn't refuse it. The person who made that offer wanted a cb gold with that specific date as a birthday present for a friend but I think this kind of trades are very rare and I was extremely lucky that someone made such a generous offer for my egg.

That was my trade. xd.png And, to this day, I still feel like I was the lucky one. So value really is what an individual player assigns to a given dragon. And even though there's often a general consensus about value, there's always going to be some people whose trading priorities buck the trend.

Honestly, I think the most important cause of some of the "inflated" prices on trades that get made (which often encourage some people to ask huge prices for their trades), is not about what player A is offering, but what player B has easy access to.

If a person knows how to make NDs, they may be more willing to let one go for something most players wouldn't. Likewise, people who catch a lot of rares will probably let them go for a lower price, depending on their needs, which can create the impression that that's the "going rate" as opposed to a more tailor made arrangement.

But, IMO, most trades (at least the ones I see around here) are usually within the range of a kind of largely accepted economic scale.

I think a lot of the people posting ridiculous trades are either young, new or both.  I remember ages ago when my son, then 7, wanted to add some of his old toys to the garage sale we were having.  He put prices on everything... he asked for $150 for a domino.  blink.gif  hehehehehe

That made me lol!

Yeah, people who make demands like the ones specified in your first post are in the minority. tongue.gif

Perhaps it also has something to do with the fact you were using a fan site trading system? I don't know if that may contribute to the problem but maybe it's because while the forums is pretty much a niche when it comes to DC as a whole, fan sites are visited by almost everyone. Sooo, assuming there are lots of players in the EATW trading area who don't use the forums (and therefore are less aware of the 'going price' and value of trade fodder), it's more a matter of trading for what they want and not what is realistic? I dunno. biggrin.gif

this, i don't go on that market or whatever, i use the irc.

but even then it's rare to see anything i want, because i wouldn't have anything for it anyway.

A while back I put a 2nd gen Silver in trades. I asked for reasonable things, like a 2nd gen Metalswap or something similar. The mistake I made was to put "or other reasonable offers" at the end of my post. Never again ._.

I got 3 offers: A cheese egg. A cheese hatchling and a messy hellfire egg. And 3 messy eggs that looked like they'd been pulled straight from the AP...

I decided to keep the Silver.

Is the problem with trades at the moment just that new/young players don't know the value of things? I'm sure it didn't take me long to realise how much things were worth when I started trading.

Edited by TheGrox

Trade inflation? hehe wait until the first offsprings of the new prize dragons will be out. laugh.gif

Then the trades will be REAL fun again. ^^"

What you experience on EatW is just people trying - out of ignorance or desperation - to get the impossible. ^.~ But on the other hand, there are several sweet people around who sometimes go for those trades, just to make the other happy. That's why those kind of 'wants' will never die out.

Also the personal value is important. For myself.. with the right amount of CB Loons you can bribe pretty much anything out of my hands. ^.~ And others wouldn't even take one gifted. ^^"

A while back I put a 2nd gen Silver in trades. I asked for reasonable things, like a 2nd gen Metalswap or something similar. The mistake I made was to put "or other reasonable offers" at the end of my post. Never again ._.

I got 3 offers: A cheese egg. A cheese hatchling and a messy hellfire egg. And 3 messy eggs that looked like they'd been pulled straight from the AP...

I decided to keep the Silver.

Is the problem with trades at the moment just that new/young players don't know the value of things? I'm sure it didn't take me long to realise how much things were worth when I started trading.

I've got a 2nd gen silver up for trade right now. It seems to me like the offers I'm getting are really, really nice. I've had a few offers for CB trio eggs along with other combinations.

Maybe it's the timing ..? I don't know. I haven't traded much on the site and I kind of feel like I have no idea what a silver is worth. Or what on earth people breed them with to make them more wanted. Then again, I don't think I've seen many people *offering* 2G silvers. Just people trying to get them in exchange for whatever they're currently trying to sell.

I figure I'll wait a few hours, see what the shiniest offer (to me) is, then accept one and celebrate. And then hope really, really hard that I have as much luck with my other silvers.

One thing you have to understand is that what you can get in trade depends a lot on who is looking at the time you make the offer. For example, I have a lot of golds and silvers, and end up giving most of their offspring away. So when someone recently offered a Thuwed Holly in exchange for two low gen metallics, it was a good deal for me. However, for someone else, that trade would not have been worth it.

I've got a low gen silver right now that I'd love to trade for one of the new prize dragon species. However, because the new prize dragons haven't been issued yet, my request is considered a request for an IOU, so I can't even say what I want directly in any of the trading threads. And just to make things tougher, the cave has been down a lot, so people can't even respond directly to my trade link. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I just end up keeping or giving away that silver, because I can't get anything I want for it.

My problem with the trading is when people ask for ONLY hatchlings with a very specific lineage. It's like well, I could breed it for you, but I don't just have one sitting around!

There are a lot of players who struggle with being new, because this game isn't run on a player-depending-on-a-player system [thank goodness], it's a 'catch them, try and see what better stuff you'll get'. Although I kind of forget how to trade on here, so I suppose that's no surprise. I think I'll stick with common,s if they'll be kind enough to breed for me (I hear they're being really finicky?)

That's probably why trading is such a mess right now, paired with the prize dragon stuff.

Last time I put "or other reasonable offers" I got someone in my PM stating "Do you take IOUs? I'll breed you anything you want except metals. But please hold the hatchlings for me because I'm locked right now with trades." When I tried to see what sorts of things they'd have to offer, stating that I couldn't hold the hatchlings as one was going to grow up in a few hours, I got a reply back about "Well I'll take the one now and the other later and I'll give them a good home!" and no reply to my question of their scroll information at least so I could look at what they had. Their profile was full of notes - "Currently collecting IOUs!" and a list of names with "0/2" and "0/6" and other such notes next to them stating this person already owed out about 25 different things.

So they're blocked from PMing me, and now I'm going to be more explicit in my trades.

Which really stinks, because I'm not picky, I love pretty lineages, and when I put up a 2nd gen Gold nobody offered on it when I would have happily traded it for a pretty checkerboard or two. I'm unable to trade things until the next day when I start writing things in caps, "Won't ANYONE offer?? I'm NOT PICKY. I'll take ANYTHING PRETTY. I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP IT."

I don't mind trading away pretty lineaged golds for less than nothing, when I manage to breed them, if that less than nothing is either a pretty lineage or a CB hatchling towards my scroll goals or something that strikes my fancy. But I think people are so afraid of being rejected that I don't get any offers, whether I keep it brief ("Pretty lineages or breeds off my wishlist. I'm not picky.") or explicit ("CB hatchling of any of these breeds <list>, a checkerboard egg as mate for these dragons <list>, or 2nd gen purebred reds"). Aside from an occasional begging email about how can I give them this for free, I don't get any offers and I'm about ready to give up on trading to be honest.

It amuses me with the whole "must be a young/new player" statements. There are some "older" players around who STILL don't know better..as much as you tell them what their things are worth..they still post outrageous trades. Some of these people you know they don't hunt just from what they post as a want. They don't understand that certain breeds are harder to hunt down than others.

On other games (such as Howrse) I watched the critters going up because people over judged. As other people saw this, they thought they weren't asking for enough. So they over judged as well. Slowly it became normal for it to cost 500K for a P. Stone Uni. It took a year to get everything back to normal. And then everything started to lose value, because people were still trying to bring down prices.

Basically, when someone misjudges what something worth is, it can become a chain reaction.... O.O

Well judging by the complaints by offering traders I possibly could trade for some of the rares I want.

I guess value really is in the eye of the beholder, right now I would certainly value a dragon I didn't have over a nice linage common/uncommon that I do have. I tend to consider a nice linage a bonus rather than a must have.

I don't know about others but I tend to feel I don't have anything good enough to offer for those super shinies that I want. I know I most likely would not have offered on a 2nd gen gold even if I had the 'right' stuff for the trade because I wouldn't expect to be accepted, and would expect to be taken for ignorant to the supposed true value of the dragon.

Right now I'm hoping my black egg beats the odds to hatch as curled alt (or even just alt) because I noticed someone wanted to trade a silver egg for a curled alt, which does seem odd to me because... alts... you can just breed them... no special skills needed.

Edit: you can take me for someone who typos a lot though.

Edited by KishaRa

Right now I'm hoping my black egg beats the odds to hatch as curled alt (or even just alt) because I noticed someone wanted to trade a silver egg for a curled alt, which does seem odd to me because... alts... you can just breed them... no special skills needed.

But you need time and scroll slots. wink.gif And some people just don't want to sacrifice either. xd.png

So they try to trade for them by offering nice Shinies. *^-^*

These are the kind of trades i like. laugh.gif Giving something really pretty for something random they collect. hehe [i gave/give away Shinies for Loons from Alt Sweetlings so.. well.. ^.~ - Always a matter of personal value]