gistofeverything

The (un)Official IOU Suggestion Thread

What this is about it the site's position that they aren't officially endorsing a service that they can't provide. Trading dragon for dragon is something that the site can do. Sending someone a one way dragon is something that the site can do. But offering a guarantee on future promises and potential breedings/catching is something that the site can't quite figure out how to do.

Yup. Site engine and staff can't guarantee IOU quality and fulfillment.

So... Why, even we're agree that, should any system be implemented?

What is the difference from the current state?

It's not about how the free market works. It's about a player being able to say, "I can officially state that I will, in the future, give you X" while having absolutely no way for the game to support that claim.

Put that information on your profile information. Done? Where the difference?

What with "Official recognition of IOU" thingie? Now Dc staff tolerate signature IOU. I'm fine with that.

PS. Actually i would be glad to use "IOU tracker". If such thing would exist. But it's not necessarily built-in feature, any 3rd-party site would be ok.

Edited by Fsaber

Yup. Site engine and staff can't guarantee IOU quality and fulfillment.

So... Why, even we're agree that, should any system be implemented?

What is the difference from the current state?

Put that information on your profile information. Done? Where the difference?

What with "Official recognition of IOU" thingie? Now Dc staff tolerate signature IOU. I'm fine with that.

I don't disagree with that. People are definitely still making IOU trades all over the place, so this didn't kill that market.

Sure, it would be more convenient if we could do them all officially and the site would handle it, but I'm just not sure how that could cover all IOUs.

For instance, once I was looking for a birthday egg for someone and I offered everything I had on hand and an IOU for 3 CB NDs (one of each gender type) and I said that proof that I could make them was that I had a bunch on my scroll. I can't figure out how the cave could secure that kind of official IOU. I could just stop using CB eggs for my experiments. I've found that clever lineages actually trade quite well.

It's things like that that are a real potential hazard, so I see why they can't be officially listed in the thread, but pointing out your sig or telling people to check out your profile does seem to be effective - at least it has been for me so far.

i have to agree with Skauble for the most part.

i'm an avid IOUer. i do so at my own risk and my experience with IOUs has been both bad and good; but more good than bad.

for me, keeping track of your IOUs is as much apart of the IOUs themselves as is filling them; its not only a point of pride to me when i fill an IOU, but also that i keep my records straight (which i do so using the note section of my profile here and a google doc; that way my PC crashing wont lose my list)

coding it into our scrolls ... i think this is more effort than its worth and the solution is simpler than that.

first off, i believe that IOUs are a forum thing, not a scroll thing. you arrange the IOU outside of your scroll, you keep them updated outside of your scroll and you complete the IOU outside of normal trading means. so theres no reason imo that, with the porper guidance, we can have an offical IOU club, out and proud here on the offical forum with badges and gold lists and public track records.

the IOU club thread woudl act a lot like the RAK thread. you sign up, pledge to the IOU oath (basically swearing to fill all IOUs to the best of your ability, and do so at your own risk) and get a badge to show you took the IOU pledge.

would you have to be a member of the IOU club to make IOUs. no, not at all, but being part of the IOU club will let others know that you're not a scammer and that there is less chance of the IOU going unfullfilled.

the other, optional, part of the thread would be posting when an IOU is agreed to and then when its completed. and a list of IOUs to be completed and completed IOUs could be kept track of.

we could even make forms for users to post with. and keep a master pledge list along with LOA announcements of users.

this way, we can have a Gold List on who is good and truthful with IOUs without having a public blacklist.

Edited by Red2111

Sure, it would be more convenient if we could do them all officially and the site would handle it, but I'm just not sure how that could cover all IOUs.

For instance, once I was looking for a birthday egg for someone and I offered everything I had on hand and an IOU for 3 CB NDs (one of each gender type) and I said that proof that I could make them was that I had a bunch on my scroll. I can't figure out how the cave could secure that kind of official IOU.

Yes. Thank you. That was exact my point of view.

Even if some system can cover plain IOU, we always can go deeper with derivatives.

Options, Nested IOUs, selling or xchanging IOUs, trusts, funds etc.

Maybe even insurance system can be created by the group of active members.

IOU is like a stock market in comparison of a raws trade market.

Honestly, at this stage I don't care WHAT is implemented as long as I can do IOUs as part of the game.

Poking this up:

Stud breeding

Discuss.

give us an idea if you want us to discuss it.

--

honestly, i never really benefited from the system when it *wasn't* banned, so i'm neutral about this.

Discuss.

give us an idea if you want us to discuss it.

--

honestly, i never really benefited from the system when it *wasn't* banned, so i'm neutral about this.

What I heard that piqued my interest was a variation on the "Breeding across scrolls" idea;

potential breeding for payment (say, 4 eggs/hatchies, or whathaveyou).

Perhaps we could be allowed to /request/ IOUs in the trading forum? Offering is one thing, but shouldn't people really be able to ask for whatever they want?

I like cyradis's idea of a record being kept on the scroll of your ious (not sure about nilias). Honestly, I think all open and closed ious should be visible to anyone who can see your scroll, but dates should be visible only to the parties involved. I think ious are binary... date shouldn't matter because a lot of what people are iouing--holidays, tinsels, metals, shimmers--are either only available at specific times, or notoriously uncooperative in breeding.

Otherwise, consider this. Someone has a holly, and they create holly ious with a lot of people, even though they can only guarantee one egg. There's nothing to prevent them from doing this but at least this way, you could first check and see if they have other holly ious up.

I haven't read through the whole thread, just the starting post, so I'm sorry if this has been suggested before. Hope my idea is understandable, as English is not my first language.

Making IOU trades an official part of the game could work similar to TJ's thuwed breeding lists, you would be able to choose a certain pair from your trading partner's scroll and choose the breed of the offspring you want (or make that 1-4 pairs, as in the current teleport system). It would need another option like "else" though, in case you want to trade for cb stuff or the agreement with your trading partner ist something like "either an egg from pair A or an egg from pair B". Being able to add a note to the trade would be a nice feature for that option. The trading partner would have to confirm the IOU offer to make it official.

Whenever the person owing an egg is able to fulfill the IOU (e.g. the chosen pair is available for breeding), the IOU trade takes up an egg slot, which would make people want to pay their IOU's. I would suggest a maximum number of possible IOU's at a time of 2-3, to avoid IOU's consuming all your egg slots and making it impossible to fulfill an IOU that needs you to catch something. When you breed the pair whose offspring you owe to someone, a message would appear reminding you of your IOU and asking if you want to use the egg to fulfill it and free your egg slot. If you click "yes", the egg will be teleported to the receiver.

At the receiver's end, I could imagine a link that appears at the top of your scroll whenever an IOU egg was teleported to you. It would say something like "As you walk past the entrance of a small nearby cave, an egg catches your eye", and the receiver could enter the cave and pick up the egg. To avoid drama ("My trading partner knew that I couldn't be online for 2 weeks and sent the egg anyway, and now it's dead, I want replacement!"), the eggs in the "IOU cave" would be frozen in time until the moment they are picked up, and only then their timer would start.

What do you think?

I haven't read through the whole thread, just the starting post, so I'm sorry if this has been suggested before. Hope my idea is understandable, as English is not my first language.

Making IOU trades an official part of the game could work similar to TJ's thuwed breeding lists, you would be able to choose a certain pair from your trading partner's scroll and choose the breed of the offspring you want (or make that 1-4 pairs, as in the current teleport system). It would need another option like "else" though, in case you want to trade for cb stuff or the agreement with your trading partner ist something like "either an egg from pair A or an egg from pair B". Being able to add a note to the trade would be a nice feature for that option. The trading partner would have to confirm the IOU offer to make it official.

Whenever the person owing an egg is able to fulfill the IOU (e.g. the chosen pair is available for breeding), the IOU trade takes up an egg slot, which would make people want to pay their IOU's. I would suggest a maximum number of possible IOU's at a time of 2-3, to avoid IOU's consuming all your egg slots and making it impossible to fulfill an IOU that needs you to catch something. When you breed the pair whose offspring you owe to someone, a message would appear reminding you of your IOU and asking if you want to use the egg to fulfill it and free your egg slot. If you click "yes", the egg will be teleported to the receiver.

At the receiver's end, I could imagine a link that appears at the top of your scroll whenever an IOU egg was teleported to you. It would say something like "As you walk past the entrance of a small nearby cave, an egg catches your eye", and the receiver could enter the cave and pick up the egg. To avoid drama ("My trading partner knew that I couldn't be online for 2 weeks and sent the egg anyway, and now it's dead, I want replacement!"), the eggs in the "IOU cave" would be frozen in time until the moment they are picked up, and only then their timer would start.

What do you think?

Oooh I actually like that idea.

What do you think?

Wow, awesome biggrin.gif Cool IDEA! biggrin.gif

Making IOU trades an official part of the game could work similar to TJ's thuwed breeding lists, you would be able to choose a certain pair from your trading partner's scroll and choose the breed of the offspring you want (or make that 1-4 pairs, as in the current

+1

Thats the best idea i read here.

Lol, I'd just like to point out that it can take months to get a particular pair to produce - I currently have an IOU that's been waiting to be fulfilled since March for a recalcitrant pair where trying to switch mates resulted only in a Refusal and a no interest, where the regular mate at least produces the wrong egg, showing that they COULD be productive.

If that took up an egg slot, I'd not be pleased, especially during Releases, lol.

Lol, I'd just like to point out that it can take months to get a particular pair to produce - I currently have an IOU that's been waiting to be fulfilled since March for a recalcitrant pair where trying to switch mates resulted only in a Refusal and a no interest, where the regular mate at least produces the wrong egg, showing that they COULD be productive.

If that took up an egg slot, I'd not be pleased, especially during Releases, lol.

I had an IOU that took me THREE YEARS to fill....

Holly IOUs are pretty bad (a year minimum). Still, it's a nice idea.

The suggestion was that the IOU slot would only be taken up when the pair is available to *breed*, though. So as long as you breed the pair every week... And I'm sure it could be altered for holidays.

>.> A bit of a necro here - I still like the idea though, and am trying to avoid a duplicate.

I don't like the idea of it taking up an egg slot... what if your trading partner is gone for an extended period of time, or even leaves permanently? What if they have asked you not to breed due to a release? There are two choices:

1. you or your partner lives without an egg slot for a while

2. you breed the egg and send it off into the nether where it takes up an egg slot for neither of you. This seems kind of unfair... it means people who are owed things basically have hidden extra scroll slots, especially if things don't age? It also sets up silly things like bred winters hatching in the summer and stuff tongue.gif

Also, what about ious for things that are not bred? Or for hatchies?