TJ09

2013-01-08 - Raffle Update

Did Tinsels breed in clutches when they were released? If so, I would figure it'd apply to these too, so.....

Anyways, I can't wait to see these guys!~ tongue.gif

Did Tinsels breed in clutches when they were released? If so, I would figure it'd apply to these too, so.....

As far as I know there was no clutch when the Tinsel where released and breed.

No, they didn't. But teleport wasn't around when the first Tinsels were released and I think more than a few low gens went "astray" during AP trades...

Ah, okie-dokie, thanks you guys!~

Then I wonder if there'll be any winners that'll breed and abandon just to make someone happy~ I probably would, at the beginning at least~ biggrin.gif

Ah, okie-dokie, thanks you guys!~

Then I wonder if there'll be any winners that'll breed and abandon just to make someone happy~ I probably would, at the beginning at least~ biggrin.gif

One original tinsel owner used to lotto tinsels in the #dragonlotto room of the IRC. It was tense and rather funny, considering that the open period for ins was on the order of seconds.

-text-

I think many people were afraid to say this xd.png I don't know if it's fear of simply sounding mean or jealous.

However.. In defense to some cases:

If I had won, I would probably post to celebrate and honestly it would be for the sake of attention. I'd love to receive all those PM's, but sincerely I do not know how I'd be able to answer "no" to so many people. I would lose myself in the middle of so many beggings and trade requests and IOU requests... I would not know if I should keep my top 10 gifting list to people who deserve it and friends or if I should scratch it and get myself some nice CB golds. It would confuse me although I'd love it. I know for sure I'd have to ignore most messages, because saying no to people hurts so much, and the fear that they might not understand that it's impossible to satisfy everyone hurts even more. "Am I making myself look superior to them if I say "no"?" That's what I would probably think xd.png

One original tinsel owner used to lotto tinsels in the #dragonlotto room of the IRC. It was tense and rather funny, considering that the open period for ins was on the order of seconds.

I remember seeing some of those. There would be so many people who entered xd.png. We might see a winner or two doing that. You never know. Hopefully most of the winners stay active long enough to breed for a while

I just want to see what the new beauties look like. happy.gif Im kind of glad I didnt win after seeing all the beggers. laugh.gif

I just hope it`s as with the Tinsels, that many winner will breed them and one day many people have at least an long lineaged version on their scroll. smile.gif

I remember seeing some of those. There would be so many people who entered xd.png. We might see a winner or two doing that. You never know. Hopefully most of the winners stay active long enough to breed for a while

I know! You'd see:

Tinsel Owner: Now taking ins.

<100 messages within two seconds>

Tinsel Owner: Closed.

I hope (of course), that most of the winners will stick around for the long haul, and I hope they want to breed their dragons. It'd be cool to see more things like what that tinsel owner did, or contests and such... but the thing is, with a raffle, you're going to get people who are asocial, or anxious, or irritable, or anything -- it's not like it selects for people who want to provide amusement for others. Thus, I'd be surprised if we see too much of that. Generally it seemed like most tinsel owners fell into two camps: those that traded, and those that gifted. There were a couple who were different; if I'm remembering correctly, one of them had a note in their profile like "give me a lineage plan, and if I'm interested in what you're going to do with the offspring, I might elect to gift you one."

I know! You'd see:

Tinsel Owner: Now taking ins.

<100 messages within two seconds>

Tinsel Owner: Closed.

I hope (of course), that most of the winners will stick around for the long haul, and I hope they want to breed their dragons. It'd be cool to see more things like what that tinsel owner did, or contests and such... but the thing is, with a raffle, you're going to get people who are asocial, or anxious, or irritable, or anything -- it's not like it selects for people who want to provide amusement for others. Thus, I'd be surprised if we see too much of that. Generally it seemed like most tinsel owners fell into two camps: those that traded, and those that gifted. There were a couple who were different; if I'm remembering correctly, one of them had a note in their profile like "give me a lineage plan, and if I'm interested in what you're going to do with the offspring, I might elect to gift you one."

I never really went for 2nd gen tinsels to be honest xd.png so I never noticed their types of behavior. I do know a few of them had permanent mates I think?

And honestly, I would be breeding irregularly. I was never really active up until I came back form a break recently xd.png I'd forget to breed every week xd.png

I think many people were afraid to say this xd.png I don't know if it's fear of simply sounding mean or jealous.

However.. In defense to some cases:

If I had won, I would probably post to celebrate and honestly it would be for the sake of attention. I'd love to receive all those PM's, but sincerely I do not know how I'd be able to answer "no" to so many people. I would lose myself in the middle of so many beggings and trade requests and IOU requests... I would not know if I should keep my top 10 gifting list to people who deserve it and friends or if I should scratch it and get myself some nice CB golds. It would confuse me although I'd love it. I know for sure I'd have to ignore most messages, because saying no to people hurts so much, and the fear that they might not understand that it's impossible to satisfy everyone hurts even more. "Am I making myself look superior to them if I say "no"?" That's what I would probably think xd.png

In regards to what both you and Panic said... I guess I kinda just feel like I need to defend myself. :/

When I first posted my win, I honestly did not think about what everyone else would do or think in reaction to it. When I posted, I still had not decided if I was even going to pick the prize dragon or not and I wanted people's opinion. Before I read my e-mail, I had not even remembered the fact the the raffle happened already. After I completed the Christmas game I just dismissed the idea of ever winning the raffle because I knew my chances were slim to none and then I went along on my merry way. I had given absolutely no thought into what I would would do if I won and was completely unprepared and caught off guard. In my haste to figure things out, I made the post. Not because I wanted to rub it in, not because I though I was better, and I certainly didn't want to make others feel bad.

With that being said, soon after I had made my post asking for a bit of guidance and advice, the PMs became a little bit too much to handle, so I deleted my post. It was just a little bit overwhelming to try and come up with answers to all these people as well as figure out exactly what I was going to do with my win... Earlier today I did make another post about winning because I felt I was more ready to answer people, but again, I really don't want to rub it in or anything. I made my second post because I honestly just wanted to discuss with people what my experiences have been. :/

-sigh- I feel a little better putting that out there. If anybody wants to discuss things further, feel free to PM me. The PMs from people requesting dragons have died down, so it shouldn't be a problem. ^-^

In regards to what both you and Panic said... I guess I kinda just feel like I need to defend myself. :/

When I first posted my win, I honestly did not think about what everyone else would do or think in reaction to it. When I posted, I still had not decided if I was even going to pick the prize dragon or not and I wanted people's opinion. Before I read my e-mail, I had not even remembered the fact the the raffle happened already. After I completed the Christmas game I just dismissed the idea of ever winning the raffle because I knew my chances were slim to none and then I went along on my merry way. I had given absolutely no thought into what I would would do if I won and was completely unprepared and caught off guard. In my haste to figure things out, I made the post. Not because I wanted to rub it in, not because I though I was better, and I certainly didn't want to make others feel bad.

With that being said, soon after I had made my post asking for a bit of guidance and advice, the PMs became a little bit too much to handle, so I deleted my post. It was just a little bit overwhelming to try and come up with answers to all these people as well as figure out exactly what I was going to do with my win... Earlier today I did make another post about winning because I felt I was more ready to answer people, but again, I really don't want to rub it in or anything. I made my second post because I honestly just wanted to discuss with people what my experiences have been. :/

-sigh- I feel a little better putting that out there. If anybody wants to discuss things further, feel free to PM me. The PMs from people requesting dragons have died down, so it shouldn't be a problem. ^-^

I remember your post and I believe I replied to it xd.png Yeah, at least two others that posted were like you, with no idea at all of what to do and with no intention at all of being superior. I was specifically talking about the case if I had won, I'd be so happy I'd want to share it and call people's attention to maybe get something they really want, and get PM's so I could open gifting lists, mini games, and the like xd.png

Don't worry, we know the winners, those who post here and those who are hiding, are all good people that suddenly got something really good and are still confused about what to do. I'm pretty sure all of you want to share your goodies with us eventually, you are all just overwhelmed right now

Edited by LaHaine

I remember your post and I believe I replied to it xd.png Yeah, at least two others that posted were like you, with no idea at all of what to do and with no intention at all of being superior. I was specifically talking about the case if I had won, I'd be so happy I'd want to share it and call people's attention to maybe get something they really want, and get PM's so I could open gifting lists, mini games, and the like xd.png

Don't worry, we know the winners, those who post here and those who are hiding, are all good people that suddenly got something really good and are still confused about what to do. I'm pretty sure all of you want to share your goodies with us eventually, you are all just overwhelmed right now

I'm fairly certain a lot of the winners, especially the newer ones, are pretty confused right now. And I know a few of them caved and were unable to put up wit the pressure of being announced to everyone. I don't think any of them that outed meant to sound superior or anything. It's just called being very excited about something that honestly had a low chance of happening to them ^^

And this is just me speaking now. no offense is meant by anything I say, i promise <3

I've been seeing a lot of "I knew i wouldn't win" or "If I won, I'd be super generous and do this...". There honestly was an incredibly low chance to win. you'll get a baby eventually, even if its not a CB or a second gen. If we've all learned from the tinsels, they breed like nuts.

Again, this is just me, but when I read "I would be super generous." or "I hope some of the winners act generous and I've out eggs..", it seems to me like it's an attempt to subtly guilt trip some of the winners. Now, I am not aiming this at ANYONE. Nor am I accusing everyone of it. You probably all mean nothing about it and never really attempt to "guilt trip" winners at all. It just kind of gives off that kind of vibe in my opinion. But again, please do not think that I'm accusing everyone or accusing anyone at all. I've just been seeing a lot of it on this thread lately. wink.gif

Nah, don't even think twice about it. There is no need for any winner, no matter what they will or wont do with their news or their offspring - to defend themselves. You certainly don't need me - or anyone else for that matter - telling you (the general "you") that. It's all chalked up to play style - and more than just a little common sense.

It is exciting for the winners, and the winners should be excited. However, if you want to post that excitement - if you did not already know what "catching excitement" that might generate in others, you certainly learn it soon after. It's like the paparazzi with a new starlet. Is it sad that they can't get a cup of coffee after their big break movie without being pestered? Sure - especially when they want to live a normal life - but that's the price that is paid when they 'go into the public,' with your newfound fame and fortune. Then - well - there are the Kardashian's. If you get my drift. ;] ("Oh my gosh, wardrobe malfunction no pictures please! Hey didya get my good side?")

My post merely presented that it is certainly refreshing to see winners that are as polite and gracious as a good many of the 'losers.' Again - it does not matter if they go public or not, ask for PMs or explicitly say, "no contact please." It's just a general pleasant attitude about it.

If someone demands to be replied to, especially when they make you uncomfortable or like you owe them something - the only thing you should feel compelled to do is delete and/or report them. You are not obligated to anyone here, least of all their PMs.

So - Yelling and screaming in posts or sigs is effective - for keeping well, just about everyone who wouldn't have PMed you in the first place. Otherwise, it fuels the cooking fire for trolls and the just plain curious. -shrug-

Announce it? Don't. Share. Don't. Make pretty lineages, don't. Trade, gift, use it for zombie fodder, even stay in the game? Everyone is entitled to do or say how they feel. There are just some things - actions, comments, behaviors - well, we all know what happens when a pile of oil rags is lit by a blow torch, right? There are just *some* things that can't go any other way. (like when you make an announcement - it doesn't make you or your excitement wrong - but you can't expect for your PM box to be roomy for a while.)

I am happy for the winners. Is it jealous to say that, wish I got a prize dragon too? Nope. I am no less disappointed that I didn't win as anyone else took the time and effort who made every red star recipe not just for the joy of pixel cooking, but to win entries (whether they admit it or not). I just wanted to say that it is refreshing to see gracious winners. I *do not* write in generalizations by including all members of a certain class - so it was not the intent or wording of any of my posts to say that "all are acting superior."

I know I get a little long winded when I feel a certain way about something, but I promise, if it's read all the way through, the point will be clear. smile.gif

Edited by panic siren

Again, this is just me, but when I read "I would be super generous." or "I hope some of the winners act generous and I've out eggs..", it seems to me like it's an attempt to subtly guilt trip some of the winners. Now, I am not aiming this at ANYONE. Nor am I accusing everyone of it. You probably all mean nothing about it and never really attempt to "guilt trip" winners at all. It just kind of gives off that kind of vibe in my opinion. But again, please do not think that I'm accusing everyone or accusing anyone at all.  I've just been seeing a lot of it on this thread lately. wink.gif

I understand what you are saying about the guilt-trip thing... completely. I also realize that none of it is intentional, so it's not too difficult to deal with.

Edited by Forest

I'm fairly certain a lot of the winners, especially the newer ones, are pretty confused right now. And I know a few of them caved and were unable to put up wit the pressure of being announced to everyone. I don't think any of them that outed meant to sound superior or anything. It's just called being very excited about something that honestly had a low chance of happening to them ^^

And this is just me speaking now. no offense is meant by anything I say, i promise <3

I've been seeing a lot of "I knew i wouldn't win" or "If I won, I'd be super generous and do this...". There honestly was an incredibly low chance to win. you'll get a baby eventually, even if its not a CB or a second gen. If we've all learned from the tinsels, they breed like nuts.

Again, this is just me, but when I read "I would be super generous." or "I hope some of the winners act generous and I've out eggs..", it seems to me like it's an attempt to subtly guilt trip some of the winners. Now, I am not aiming this at ANYONE. Nor am I accusing everyone of it. You probably all mean nothing about it and never really attempt to "guilt trip" winners at all. It just kind of gives off that kind of vibe in my opinion. But again, please do not think that I'm accusing everyone or accusing anyone at all. I've just been seeing a lot of it on this thread lately. wink.gif

I think it's very difficult, really. I applaud the bravery of those who did announce their win - if I'd won I think I'd be extremely torn over whether to share my joy or stay silent, maybe even hide my scroll. I absolutely understand the need to share something so exciting though - it's why we have the congrats thread in SD, after all! smile.gif But it seems a shame that winners may be made to feel bad for their decision almost no matter *what* they decide to do. At the same time, I understand the anticipation and curiosity of those who didn't win. Add the fact that text often does a poor job of conveying tone and there's miscommunications waiting to happen all over the place.

I've also noticed a lot of "If I'd won, I'd..." posts and I've done my best to refrain from joining in, mostly for the very simple reason that I didn't win so what I'd do with a hypothetical dragon is utterly irrelevant! xd.png Also, while I've certainly had a few enjoyable daydreams about what I might do with a prize, my actions in the event of a win could have ended up being very different for any number of reasons. As Harold Macmillan once said, "Events, dear boy, events". wink.gif

Some people lift others up to try to get what they want, others try to tear them down. Either could easily be a guilt trip. And I'm sure there is an element of greed as 3rd gens certainly trade well.

But meh, at any rate the lotto thing sounded like a great idea. But how did they go about getting the number?

What I used to like to do in WoW, I would ask people to send me a number. But, to get the winning number there is an in-game random /roll command. So, I would /random and whomever was closest would win. I'm an extremely streaky roller so I felt like it gave both the low and high rollers a good chance. And since I was actually rolling no one could accuse me of sandbagging numbers. Does IRC have a /roll thingy?

I've also noticed a lot of "If I'd won, I'd..." posts and I've done my best to refrain from joining in, mostly for the very simple reason that I didn't win so what I'd do with a hypothetical dragon is utterly irrelevant!  xd.png

In reply to this, it was a person in the thread that asked it, so we were replying xd.png Of course if we actually had won many things would be different, but a little daydream isn't bad

And Qualeo, that is what I meant, sorry if I didn't really express it well x_x

Edited by LaHaine

In reply to this, it was a person in the thread that asked it, so we were replying xd.png Of course if we actually had won many things would be different, but a little daydream isn't bad

And Qualeo, that is what I meant, sorry if I didn't really express it well x_x

No no no, guys I wans't accusing any you of anything <3 I promise I was not trying to offend anyone or say any of you were "guilt tripping" winners. I promise.

i only said that because I've seen some people who posted the same thing multiple times "If I won, I'd be generous". I promise i was not accusing anyone of everything. <3 And I'm not saying any of the winners feel guilty. I've just seen so much of it. That's all laugh.gif

Fair enough! xd.png I've only dipped in and out of this thread since I already said pretty much everything I wanted to in my first post here, so I may well have missed stuff. smile.gif

*wanders off again to tend the eggs and poke the hatchies*

I've also noticed a lot of "If I'd won, I'd..." posts and I've done my best to refrain from joining in, mostly for the very simple reason that I didn't win so what I'd do with a hypothetical dragon is utterly irrelevant! xd.png Also, while I've certainly had a few enjoyable daydreams about what I might do with a prize, my actions in the event of a win could have ended up being very different for any number of reasons. As Harold Macmillan once said, "Events, dear boy, events". wink.gif

It was me asking the question. I honestly wanted something that would get thread going and make it a bit more interesting while we wait for the prizes to be revealed.

Some people lift others up to try to get what they want, others try to tear them down. Either could easily be a guilt trip. And I'm sure there is an element of greed as 3rd gens certainly trade well.

But meh, at any rate the lotto thing sounded like a great idea. But how did they go about getting the number?

What I used to like to do in WoW, I would ask people to send me a number. But, to get the winning number there is an in-game random /roll command. So, I would /random and whomever was closest would win. I'm an extremely streaky roller so I felt like it gave both the low and high rollers a good chance. And since I was actually rolling no one could accuse me of sandbagging numbers. Does IRC have a /roll thingy?

Yes, there is a lotto room in IRC. It's called #dragonlotto and has a bot that you use to roll the "dice".

It's where many holly owners lottoed off their offspring, giving people a fair chance at it, for example.

And once again - congrats to the winners of the raffle - I hope you enjoy your new dragons!