RainDear

Gifts/Requests-What are Your Criteria?

Gifting:

I've only gotten a few requests for my lineage projects but honestly, I was super psyched to get them and found it immensely gratifying that other people like my lineages so much they specifically asked for them. Nothing makes me happier than sharing projects I worked hard to make. I've yet to get any requests, poorly worded or otherwise, for other dragons but I do also have a note in my profile that I don't take requests for anything valuable, only trades. Not that I won't gift them, but I won't take requests.

That said, I don't always wait for requests to gift. I happen to be pretty good at catching things, particularly out of the AP. I'll often pick up things that are really nice but I have no personal use for because I'm extremely picky. Seriously--even if I love the lineage if I don't like the dragons' names I won't keep it. So I'll either give it away in an appropriate thread or look for someone to gift to. Back when tinsels were the only prize dragons and still insanely hard to get, I got extremely good at picking them up out of the AP. I would grab one (or two, or even a whole set once or twice) come here and give them away to people who had none. It was really fun seeing how surprised and happy people would be about it. I stopped doing that when people started getting picky about their freebies. =/ Sigh. This is why we can't have nice things...I gift really shiny things mostly to friends these days because of stuff like that. And even when I do gift on a whim, I carefully vet the person I'm gifting to. Just last night I declined someone who was clearly taking advantage of the generosity of a particular thread I had made an offer in for both ignoring my instructions and being deceptive to someone else. That's why I don't gift to anyone whose scroll I can't see.

I've also glomp gifted traders before, offering something ridiculous for a common or something, just because I can. If it's something I actually need well that's just a bonus. biggrin.gif

Requests:

As for making requests myself...I try to be as polite as possible, always offer something in return and never request rares. That said I rarely request anything. I did a couple times for a particular lineage back before I had the rares to actually breed what I needed and also when my own dragons wouldn't cooperate. I've also made requests for things I literally can't ever breed on my own, like when I did my frill lineage, the 2nd gens all came from very generous friends. Naturally they all got offspring of the completed project as thanks. smile.gif As did those who assisted me with my Echo of Death lineage, and anything else I've requested in the past. When I request for a lineage it becomes in my mind a community project so of course I'll share the results with those who made the project possible in the first place.

When I see people asking in their signatures for something I can breed, I usually try to breed it and send them the egg I got, or pm them if I am locked. Usually I get positive reactions.

Once someone asked for a tinsel from a terrae line in their signature, and I pm'ed that person 'coz I was locked saying that I could breed one later if a long generation one is fine. They answered that they'd like that very much, and that they'd also love to take in all the fails I produce along the way for their terrae army. So when I had space I bred two terrae tinselkins, and the third try was a shiny. I sent seperate transfer links, 'coz I saw that the other scroll had not enough space to take in all of them at once. The shiny got picked up, I never got a "thank you" and the tinselkins stayed on my scroll for half a day before I dumped them into the AP mad.gif

That was the only bad experience I had with gifting people what they asked for in their signatures, usually they really appreciate it.

I love to breed for others when I can. I don't mind getting PM request at all, I welcome them. I have never gotten a rude one, but if I did I would probably just block them. I'll breed an egg for someone if I see they need something. I also breed for the AP and the departure thread. Though it seems people are only looking for shinnies, other rares, and BSA dragons. I don't do the gifting threads because I hate filling out forms, I would rather just give what I can. I don't mind on the departure thread if people don't say thanks, but it is nice when they do. I do sometimes forget myself so I do understand.

I've asked for a few eggs from people I saw take breeding request. Some holidays and commons for lineages. I try to breed them myself first, if I have no luck then I will ask. I've also been glomped gifted some very nice things, and I always offer to breed in return if they want something. I always feel like I can never thank these nice people enough.

I don't have many fancy things on my scroll and I don't usually post very much, so I rarely ever get requests and rarely gift due to not knowing what others would like. I've never had a rude request, but if I did I'd probably say no to them. maybe

I don't request often either, usually only simple things I can't get myself like 2nd-gen commons from regular holidays and from people who explicitly say in their signature that they breed on request. In fact I think this February was the first time I actually PM'd people any requests.

I'm pretty sure I accidentally requested someone twice about an egg though. I forgot to turn on message tracking >_>;

As far as gifting is concerned, I don't ask for much, except that people don't trade away, kill for the heck of it or abandon the egg they've gotten from me. In my opinion, once something leaves my scroll, it's not mine anymore and I can't control what the new owner does with it, so I don't really get upset if someone zombiefies or bites or neglects eggs I've gifted. I would get slightly annoyed if someone cared so little about the gift that it died from lack of views or gets abandoned, but so far, that hasn't happened if I remember correctly.

Then again, most of my gifts are Tinsels/Shimmers/other interesting things that I just drop in the "Community Board: Departures"-thread in the hope that somebody likes them. I used to grab stuff from there as well - I mostly miss all the nice things by now because I am not constantly online for hours, but I still breed stuff for the thread out of habit. Well, as long as it makes somebody happy... good for my karma, I think.

If I want something specific, I make a request in the Breeding, Gifting thread, otherwise I don't really ask other people to breed me something.

No one has ever asked for a breeding request from me before. Personally, I prefer giving out gifts at random in Departures. I do have a list of people who I want to gift to though because they gave me stuff off my wishlist unsolicited.

I don't have any stipulations when I give my eggs away in Departures, other than no deliberate killing. I feel like I shouldn't have to say it. blink.gif I would prefer my bred eggs be named but it's not like I'd demand it be so. I think that you give a gift out of the goodness of your heart and shouldn't expect anything in return.

Breeding Requests - nice and polite is always gratefully received, I haven't had any rude ones yet and do try to ensure I always reply to everyone. Sadly the shinier requests I have to decline at times even for those offering trades in return and it always makes me super guilty I can't help someone in that moment.

Requesting from others, I have approached others, but really am mindful to be polite, I tend to explain a bit in detail what looking for and always offers something in return even if their intention is for free as always appreciate it.

Gifting - I do haunt trading threads and really hate to see someone offering the earth just to get an egg I really could just give to them when they don't have much and hopefully make someones day.

I also send to Community notice and glomp pms where can - try to spread the joy abit!

EDIT: To add, grab and go's on pms are a big no no for me. It does not take a lot to thank someone for their time. I try to ensure I do say my gratitude when receiving eggs smile.gif

Edited by lilacamy931

I don't mind breeding requests (well, the few that I ever get) as long as the person can take whatever I breed quickly. I'm always locked and rarely have space to breed things, let alone hold them for hours for someone to pick them up.

I rarely request anything bred from others, but if I did I'd be polite and offer something in return.

Requests, I don't mind breeding eggs for people, I like to help out (it gives me warm fuzzies smile.gif So if I see a sig request or something on the Breeding; gifting thread, I try. Or if someone just asks! Nicely! I have been known to give away my shinnies eggs for free.

I Have been the recipient of some not so nice PM's about ND's though. I don't mind sharing knowledge, I do mind being told to make people things. Or that if I ask for something in return and you say 'oh you could never get that' and i agree to an Hatchi batch only find out that you very well could of gotten it or already have several ND's when I specifically stated that I only do hatchi batches for people without a ND. OR the 'is it done yet?' when it hasn't even been a week and I informed them of a list that they are on, but on the bottom of.

The whole thing is kinda turning me away from filling requests like that. I would much rather glomp gift someone then trade with someone who doesn't appreciate the hard work, or at least the effort it takes to get the dragons they want bred/turned.

Sorry for the rant.

Requesting from others, I will sometimes ask for specific lines from people who have something I need for a lineage. I always make an offer to get something they want in return, and thank them profusely because that is just common curdisy to thank someone who does something nice for you.