RainDear

Gifts/Requests-What are Your Criteria?

When you gift or request gifts, what are your personal limits? Mine are something like this:

GIFTS:

When I receive pms requesting eggs, it depends a lot on how the pm is worded:

"Hey, breed a x b for me."- is deleted and the sender is blocked (yep, I got one worded just like that).

Any politely worded request (please and thank you is a definite plus here) or request including an offer of breeding/trade in return, is at least considered.

I don't like to have long "IOU" lists, even for gifts, but when I say "yes" to someone, I will keep trying til I can fill it. Sometimes, I even try to catch the elusive egg. If I really anticipate that I will not be able to deliver a particular egg, I sometimes try to breed for it, then if unsuccessful, explain that I can't promise that egg because of breeding difficulties.

When I am reading the forums, if I see a posting that reads: "I can't find/catch ___ Dragon", I will often breed my appropriate dragons and if I get an egg, I'll offer it to the poster. I also often look at signatures and breed for requests I see there.

REQUESTS:

I generally do not send request pms. The only request I recall was for an avatar in a thread where the artist was offering them, but my pm was never responded to and the thread was subsequently closed, so I never followed up on it. Since I have managed to catch almost everything, anyway, most things I might request are things that are wanted by everyone, and I feel that the owners are likely inundated with requests already, and I don't want to make their already bad situation worse.

Now, what do you do?

I enjoy the gifting/requesting part personally!

GIFTING:

I enjoy getting breeding requests, and am perfectly happy to breed most things on request (unless really rudely worded xd.png) I have my request criteria in my profile as well, but basically, any pairing request is fine (like x type dragon with y type dragon, or sometimes I've also gotten "this particular dragon with that particular dragon") but I draw the line at specifically breeding metallics (though if I get a metal off of a non-metalxmetal request, of course the requestor would get it), and recently also tinsels are off the can-be-specifically-requested list. Any other specific type of dragon is free game and I'll try until I get one of it (though I have a bad memory and may require reminding ^^; )

I also like to try sometimes breeding things for general requests on the EG thread, and sometimes I'll randomly show up at someone's (figurative) doorstep and fling something nice off their wishlist at 'em tongue.gif

REQUESTING:

I feel a bit awkward requesting unless I can offer something in exchange, but I usually only ask if I need something for my lineage project(s), and see something to the effect of "takes requests" in their sig or profile. If it's something I'm actively looking for from a limited dragon (*cough*altsweetxredorblack*cough*) I'll approach the owner with a trade offer in hand, even if they don't have any indication that they take requests x3. Sometimes I'll inquire after specific common pairings in the IRC if I have a lot of space. ^^

No one has ever really asked me for my dragons' offspring which is a huge downer, so I would probably accept most requests even if they worded it with all caps "CAN YOU BREED X WITH Y PLEASE".

I don't really have limits quite yet. I gift quite a bit though. smile.gif

I really never request unless it's a super common dragon that I'm interested in. I believe I asked for a Neotropical from a person with them with Bowie-esque names and the offspring of a couple ridgewings.

I have no idea what I'd do with my dragons most of the time if it weren't for gifting. Considering my terrible trading track record, I get a lot more fun and happiness out of the game through this. XD

GIFTING:

I get pretty excited when I get the occasional breeding requests so I'm happy to fulfil them if it's within my power (can't say the same for my dragons!). I've been fortunate to not have received any rudely worded ones. ^^ I have received recent requests from people who once promised me eggs and didn't follow through - but again, in my excitement that people want my dragons' offspring, I'm all too happy to forgive and forget. :P

Outside of that, a lot of the time I just pay attention to posts/sigs/wishlists. If I can breed something that someone is looking for, I'll often try it. I can become strangely fixated with the idea of helping out though, and have been known to write people down on my IOU list (without their knowledge XD) until I got the egg, haha. I think I'll call this "stalker gifting."

REQUESTS:

Though I do make them on occasion, requesting makes me feel awkward. As a result, almost all of my requests result in a rambling PM explaining the reason for my PM and why I want to request an egg from X user so much. XD I only request if I (a) see that the owner is accepting requests (B) have something to offer in return or © it's an egg from a specific pairing that I've exhausted trading options and still haven't been able to obtain.

I do also post in the EG thread but I rarely get a response there (even for feedback on my pairings) so I kinda don't like doing that anymore. ^^"

Thankfully, not many people request eggs from me, and when they do it's from already-established pairs, but I would absolutely not accept a request from anyone who asked impolitely or didn't seem like they'd appreciate the gift.

(I got a request for my Holly once from someone who intended to use the baby to "trade up" to some nicer lineaged Hollies. I flat-out told them no, because my babies go to scrolls that are going to keep them for a good long time.)

I don't like accepting things in return for gifts.

If I'm feeling generous and see someone frustrated over an autoabandon or repeated failed breeding of a certain pair, I will try to breed them one from my own dragons.

I also don't make requests very often, because I don't like getting things for free and don't like feeling like I'm imposing on someone or taking advantage of them.

As for ACCEPTING gifts, I do always offer to breed something in return for the breeder's trouble.

I will not, however, accept a gift that comes along with a message like, "Here, take this ____, because I see all of yours don't have great lineages." (I actually did get that once.) If you feel the need to insult my babies, I want nothing from you.

GIFTS

I also love it when I get requests! I love breeding for people, knowing my dragons offspring will be loved and maybe even have the lineages continued. I love that aspect of this game! I also have to draw the line at metallics, though. I took requests once but it took over a year to fulfill even one, so I had to stop. I don't like having to make people wait eons, even if they don't mind waiting it still hangs over me when I have something outstanding and I don't like it xd.png

REQUESTS

I'm also hesitant to bother people with requests, but if I see someone is working on the same lineage as me I'll often ask to see if they can breed for me and offer to swap some from my pairings in case they're in the same boat as me for continuing the lineage (especially ones that are hard to trade for like my Marrow/Red Dorsal checker). No matter what, when requesting I usually offer to breed anything off my scroll, just to be polite. Some people are happy to just gift, others are happy for the help with their projects too... I think of it less as a trade and more of reciprocal gifting. laugh.gif

If it weren't for wishlists & the ability of my dragons to (occasionally) fulfill them, I'm really not sure what I'd do to fill in the time between releases.

GIFTING:

I don't really get many requests for anything, to be totally honest. Every few months I might get a stray request or two, which I'm happy to fulfill whenever my dragons say they're in the mood to give the requested egg. I check wishlists & such to see if I can produce whatever is listed, & if I get an egg I'll send it to the person looking for that egg. I'll breed pretty much anything on request, excluding metallics because of notoriously poor breeding.

REQUESTING:

I don't always ask for anything in return; I've had so many trades go by without so much as a nibble that I feel like whatever I have to offer... wouldn't be worth offering. If I do ask for anything, it's usually after I've received a request, setting up a mutual trade.

I have had very few people ask for me to breed my dragons for them. The ones I have received were all polite.

I did have one person ask very nicely to trade for one of my Hollies, as I had caught a messy and a long- lineaged (both clean) and I had posted that I didn't know what I should do, as I was hoping to catch short-lineaged ones. I traded.

I generally look at people's signatures or wishlists to see if I can breed or catch something that I could gift them.

I don't think I have ever contacted anybody to breed an egg for me. I don't breed often, and I don't have any large lineage projects that I am working on. Honestly, having an egg/hatchling growing on my scroll for 5 days (2 days as an incubated egg and 3 more as a hatchling) makes me a bit crazy. (There are a few exceptions.) I prefer the messy-lineaged incuhatchables or hatchlings that I find in the AP.

Gifts

I don't normally go out of my way to surprise gift to specific people. I will however, try a breeding here or there if I see an easy-to-fill breeding request in a thread. And occasionally I will drop a nice lineage egg in a gifting thread or offer it free in the irc.

When it comes to requests through pm, I will accept most of them. If there's an issue with a request, I will politely decline and try explaining why. In the past, I've had pms requesting eggs with the intention to trade them off to someone else. As well, there have been requests wanting a breeding pair from a lineage project I've put in my own time and effort towards. If someone wants the perfect mate for a dragon, they should put in their own time towards building it rather than insulting me with taking the easy route.

Requests

I normally try not to bother people with requests. I've sent many out though during my time with DC, I'm sure. Often times it is for a lineage blood swap or when someone offers to try breeding something for me. My breeding requests are normally for very common 2nd gen dragons meant for lineage projects. I never ask for trios, tinsels, metallics, hollies or neglecteds as those are things I would rather stumble across than beg for.

Since Raindear mentioned IOUs... Those are things I never offer during a trade. Only if it's something the person I'm trading with requests. Sometimes I'll create lists for specific breeding requests and I'm in the habit of keeping notes of who I promised and have yet to give 'x' to.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Gifts

Um, lets see. I like to throw gifts at my close friends randomly, just for fun, though lately I haven't done it very often.

If someone PMs me asking for something, I'll usually give it a try and if the dragons don't produce just apologize and move on - I don't like owing people anything long term. But I'll breed anything on my scroll for anyone, except metallics (they just don't breed like they used to).

Requests

I just don't really request things ONE-ON-ONE. I feel like it's pestering people. xd.png If I need a certain egg, I'll put out a call in my signature (like now!)

The only thing I would ever request personally would be an egg from a spriters alt, but I DON'T just because the poor spriters have to be bombarded by such requests xd.png Plus it just doesn't seem right :/

Gifting: I gift random eggs/hatchies to friends a lot. Also if i have something someone needs and im either at my breed scroll goal or can easily replace it ill probably be more likely to gift.

Requests: generally I dont ask for dragons from people (unless I can trade something for it) however i will grab stuff from gifting threads xd.png but if someone does gift me something as long as its the species I need/want then i dont much care about the babys breeding or w/e =P

Gifting

I love gifting more than I love trading (which, for anyone who knows me, is quite a lot X'D) but I do admit that I'm pretty picky about who I gift to. I'll also admit that sometimes my gifting could be considered...selfish, almost? I tend to gift a lot more on days where I'm feeling down because seeing other people happy makes me feel really happy, and while this might not necessarily be a bad thing, it does make me gravitate towards gifting people who get really excited about gifts rolleyes.gif honestly though, I think everyone prefers replies that are "OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS MADE MY DAY!!" over replies that just say "Thank you". I like knowing the person is excited! The more someone likes a gift, the more I tend to give them after that X'D

A lot of times I pick people to gift from the various gifting threads. I'm much more inclined to gift to someone who gifts a lot to other people. Occasionally I'll look at sigs or the 'complete your wishlist' thread or even a person's profile if they just seem really awesome around the forums/IRC. I used to get quite a few requests, but they were almost all for my metals and 2G tinsels (especially when I kept IOU lists in my profile--I'd get multiple PMs for offspring of tins who had low lists) and I don't take requests for those. Recently people have been interested in the different checkerboard even gen lineages I've been working on, and those I love getting requests for :3 I'm always super excited when someone likes one of my lineages enough to request it.

Requesting

I don't mind requesting things from people I know fairly well, but I tend to shy away from requesting from people I don't really know. I'll do it if I really really want something they can breed, but it always makes me nervous, even though I almost always offer something in exchange rolleyes.gif I'm always worried about bothering people! I also make sure to show the person how much I appreciate their gift/them agreeing to trade.

Gifting: I have learned that I am just not very good at tracking and keeping track of my Gifting. So I have people make requests for anything more than "I want this type of BSA" to the Breeding Gifting thread. This means I have a backup so I don't forget things I've promised.

My limitations are usually metallics, Trios, or things I find rather difficult to breed. Mostly because I like to take these things and gift them to people I know who don't have them or various gifting threads with lists for them. This is just how I like to gift my harder / rarer to breed things.

Requests:

I don't generally make qualms about asking for a lineage I really want. But I don't beg and spam either. I make an effort to develop relationships with people and particular gifting communities. I also like to make what I call "swapping eggs" vs "trading" where we know if there is anything the other likes, we just ask and swap various babies back and forth over periods of time. I also like to do research about a person. What kinds of lineages they seem to like, their wishlists, threads they frequent, etc. This way I can say "I see or think you like this... I would really love for an offspring/sibling of xyz, and I am happy to offer this or this or this in return or anything else you might like." And I never ask for rares or uncommons unless i know the person really well and I know its ok. And I still don't ask for Golds or Silvers. I just don't. I figure I have a wishlist, and if someone has bunches of rare dragons and they want to gift them to me because they like me or want to be nice or think I'm a good canidate for their offspring, then I am very grateful. But I never request it. I want the commons, or offsprings from special lineages. But not the rare itself.

I also make a note of scrolls people have told me they are happy to breed me anything I like anytime I like or meet people who seem to breed things I really like or have similar tastes. I bookmark them. But generally, people are so giving, I just don't have time to go thru scrolls like I really should. One of these days!!! But the secret is knowing there are a lot of people with a lot of dragons who are delighted to share, but you need to have common courtesy and manners. But you shouldn't be shy about asking. I also find its easier if you have established yourself as a regular re-gifting type and you can say something like "I'd really love a sibling to xyz because it would be a perfect mate for abc and I'd love to re-gift their offspring to others..." Its a lot easier to get something when they know not only do you appreciate the lineage, but you have a mate already set up and plan on gifting the offspring fairly often if not entirely. And just because someone says no today doesn't mean they won't say no in the future. They just might need to get to know you a little better first, or you need to ask at a later time or be willing to wait when their life isn't so busy. Some dragons are just worth the wait.

But most importantly, remember these are people you are requesting from, not clicking the pixel the fastest. Pixels might require less work, but people are a lot more rewarding. In fact, you'll find as you build relationships, you will get PMs now and again where people go "hey I just got a new lineage and thought you might like to take a look at it, let me know if you want any offspring...." Those are the best.

Gifting

I have had a few requests via the BSA gifting thread, mostly for Trio eggs, which I try to fulfill but my dragons don't like to give me eggs very often. I've also had a couple people see some of my lineages in various threads and ask for a sibling. I have one outstanding IOU at the moment for a Pink egg from one of my pairs, but they keep giving me fog eggs instead.

I occasionally gift eggs on the EG thread, usually after I've tried to trade them and got no offers. I'm talking about EG PB and checkerboard lineages. I actually just dumped a 2nd Gen PB Trihorn into the AP because I didn't get a single trade offer on it. blink.gif I've also had a few dragons that I had to dump to the AP, because no one claimed them via the gift link. So I don't randomly gift to people because I feel like not many people want my dragons.

So as long as a request is polite, I will likely accept it. With the caveat that my dragons hate me and will likely take forever to produce the proper egg.

Requests

Apart from lineage threads where people posts lists for certain pairings or TGT, I don't ask for dragons. Mostly because I don't really feel welcome on the forums due to my abysmal record in trading. If I really want an egg I do everything I can to breed enough dragons to offer on someones trade link. I will admit that I just sent a PM to someone offering a Gold egg for trade with a rather pitiful exchange (I don't yet gave any Gold's) which was accepted and trade is pending. Assuming she ever sees the PM I sent. (Which might go better if the forums were sending emails properly!!)

Gifting--

I love gifting. I follow several gifting threads and give as I can, CBs or from breeding my own dragons. I will also do swaps if I have the lineage the person is looking for.

I have gotten only one request to breed my dragons, from a listing in a thread, but of course my brats didn't produce. Repeatedly. Then the person was banned from the thread for trading away gifts from the thread, so I had no regrets about not getting them an egg after all.

I have a few people I'm still trying to produce eggs for, from requests I responded to in threads. One of these days, I promise! I haven't forgotten.

Requests--

I have never "cold" asked anyone for a dragon. Yeah, I'd LOVE a 2nd gen Holly or Tinsel, but I will not ask the owners of those CBs for one. To me, that's just rude if they are not offering. I have asked to be put on a list or two for thread-offered breedings though, because the person was offering to give those eggs away.

If I get a polite request, I will try and fill it. If I get a demand I simply block that player from PMing me. Permanently. (and when they start to email me with more demands saying how unreasonable I am not to give them what they want, I block that too. If you see this and know who you are, you should have learned better by now mad.gif)

Also I watch what people are asking for in threads, and when I feel like it, will breed and glomp.

I do sometimes request by PM - mostly when someone has mentioned something in a thread or has offered something in the EG trades and I missed it. I try to be nice about it. I certainly don't fuss if they say no. Well, I wouldn't if anyone ever did, but so far they haven't ! I've once ever asked for a second gen from something special - but I am only after a common from it... and she said OK, so... wub.gif I will always offer to breed "whatever you'd like in return except Hollies" when I ask. Hollies not because I Won't Do That, but because I have a promise list running WAY into the future and I don't want to say "OK, in 2018..." xd.png

I also post hopefully in my sig, It has often paid off smile.gif I watch other sigs so I can return the favour, kind of.

Edited by fuzzbucket

GIFTS:

I like gifting a lot, the eggs are wanted and often become part of beautiful lineages. I breed requests at Breeding, Gifting, it is an awesome thread, full of friendly people. I do receive requests by pm and I usually (try to) fill them, although it depends on how they are worded. I take into consideration: How old is the requester, is English their native language, are they on the site long enough to estimate the value of what they're requesting. If they're very young or very new, I'll be more lenient.

When I read requests in people's signatures, I often try to breed it or offer them a spot on a list, the latter is what I did with my Christmas dragons this year.

I do not gift metallics by request - simply because they are so difficult to breed, and in-season holidays are usually only promised away shortly before their holiday - simply because people might vanish and I might lose overview.

REQUESTS:

If it is for eggs, I usually try to trade first and I've never sent a request to anyone without the offer to breed or catch in return. I very rarely pm people, usually I ask in threads, like the Even Gen one or Breeding, Gifting. Unfortunately, my scroll is very near complete and the only things I need anymore, are the things everyone needs, unless it is for new lineages.

Gifting

I like building up lineages and I love when someone asks me for my offsprings: I feel my lineages are appreciated. So I accept almost every request for them, at least when they are a bit polite. I must say I have never had a rude request, and I think a simple "Can you breed X for me please" is perfectly fine.

I also like helping people get their first dragon of a certain bred (such as low gen uncommons) or get what they need for a lineage. So when I see some requests in threads I try to help.

I don't like gifting hatchlings, save for special reasons like you need them to gender one way and you don't have pinks, because I think people asking for them are simply lazy and don't want to waste a place on their scroll waiting for them to hatch.

Requesting

I usually request something when I need help for a lineage (and I'm not able to breed them myself or my dragons are not cooperative at all). So 99% of my requests are bred eggs, and usually common or at most uncommon ones.

I use to put my requests in threads like the EG one, or if I directly PM someone with a request I ask what I can give in return.

I think a simple "Can you breed X for me please" is perfectly fine.

Me too. On the whole, if the word please is in there, OK.

What I did get (the time I spat several dummies) was "I see you have x y and z, so breed them for me this week because I want them and we should all get the dragons we want right ?"

I decided to ignore it. I got another "where is my x/y/z u not bred them yet ?" I blocked his PMs. Then I started to get emails "Why u not breeding my dragons yet ?"

Note the word my. That was when I also blocked the emails.

Some people....

Me too. On the whole, if the word please is in there, OK.

What I did get (the time I spat several dummies) was "I see you have x y and z, so breed them for me this week because I want them and we should all get the dragons we want right ?"

I decided to ignore it. I got another "where is my x/y/z u not bred them yet ?" I blocked his PMs. Then I started to get emails "Why u not breeding my dragons yet ?"

Note the word my. That was when I also blocked the emails.

Some people....

Didn't you report him?

I've always concentrated on scroll goals but I'm taking an interest in breeding and nice lineages now.

I glomp gifted twice and both times the person pm'd me (far after the egg had grown) and asked me what the heck was going on. Explanations and a link to the thread seem to be lost on them.

I've not got any lineages built up yet, (well, apart from a Canopy one that I will get to end) but planning to remedy that soon and you never know, people may want second gens from me.

All it will take is a 'please' and 'thank you'.

I also like to peek at the wishlist and signatures, or maybe a post complaining about a refusal, or requests in the EG thread for a certain lineage... I love to glomp people biggrin.gif

I can't remember asking anyone to breed me an egg, except for one specific case that is still in the works. They were very nice so I have my hopes biggrin.gif

I can breed on request, only if I get a polite PM. Please and thanks are a must. I do offer eggs in certain threads (mostly stripe related) but I don't like to post the teleport link because it irks me that people snag the egg and don't bother to post a simple thanks.

I also like to peek at the wishlist and signatures, or maybe a post complaining about a refusal, or requests in the EG thread for a certain lineage... I love to glomp people biggrin.gif

I can't remember asking anyone to breed me an egg, except for one specific case that is still in the works. They were very nice so I have my hopes biggrin.gif

I can breed on request, only if I get a polite PM. Please and thanks are a must. I do offer eggs in certain threads (mostly stripe related) but I don't like to post the teleport link because it irks me that people snag the egg and don't bother to post a simple thanks.

I am definitely irritated when I post a teleport link and the recipient doesn't bother to say thank you. I'd rather drop the egg to the AP if the person can't be bothered to say thank you for the egg.

Hmm interesting..

GIFTS:

* as long I don't get one-liner, simple gifting requests are always welcome

* Blacklisted will be only people who send me one-liner asking for a Metallic breeding. <.< [Had one recently.. ^^" Please, if asking for a rare, do at least try to offer something in return.. no matter what.. It really sounds nicer. wink.gif]

* I prefer if my gifts are transferred soonish - I have no trouble to hold them longer if I get a pm with the situation explained - but I hate to find out being used as 'hatchery'. >.<

* I gift either via request threads, direct requests, breeding projects or threads like Secret Santa

REQUESTS:

* Yes I do send them out occasionally.

* Pretty Thuweds/lineages or fodder for some tricky lineages of mine. Including limited or retired breeds, so it sometimes helps to ask people directly. I always offer something in return and try to write it as politely as my English allows it. Of course it happens that my PMs get ignored but usually I do at least receive a short or not so short note. ^.~

* I either request an egg directly from a person or via threads

I don't mind breeding for people as long as they ask nicely. And I LOVE gifting, so I frequently search the wishlist thread. I tend to stick to people who have short lists... the longer ones just make me want to tell them to get busy and not rely on anyone else. I know, that probably sounds mean, but I really want to help those who help themselves, if that makes sense.

What I CANNOT stand is when someone begs in their post (or in a PM!!!) That makes me NOT want to help. I can understand when you are desperate and say you will trade ANYTHING for something, but when they get all pity party it drives me crazy (i.e. "I'll never get a Holly so whatever")

I know this thread has been dead for a bit ... but I got to thinking.... a lot of people don't really understand how to ask for gifts or how to create gifts people want or are shy about asking for gifts (even though gifters are DYING to gift eggs) and other things.

I know I see this so much I wrote like a 10 paragraph essay in my Profile giving Tips for Gifting and Giving. I know Auntie Rainie is a well know awesome beautiful person and gifter specialist and maybe we could kinda brainstorm together and maybe make a Tips Sheet in the First few posts to give people ideas on at least the basics for both finding/requesting gifts and how to build dragons that people will be proud to gift and/or others will want to be gifted. And also how to setup gifting in ways where the Gifter gets disappointed from no one seeming to ask. Also, some of the more popular (and lesser know) threads, groups, and maybe .... tools that help with this.

I know a lot of people use Spreadsheets and those are a God Send. Not everyone wants to always reorganize their scroll manually. Additionally, sometimes its hard/difficult to keep track of your Gift Lists. People have different method that would be great to share. Additionally, for example, I don't keep lists expect for a very special few dragons. I force people to go to a thread for Gifting Requests because its the only way I can keep track.

I remember when I moved from the newbie stage to not a newbie, but not established, and being very upset that I would take gifts, and not have anything to give back that anyone wanted to take. I remember it made me sooo upset that I felt I wasn't paying it forward. I think kinda outlining the process of what people look for and how to find those nicer dragons and how to choose lines and mates so you can have Dragons people are really super wanting (or where to send the other stuff while you are collecting those dragons) would be helpful because.... we can remember what it felt like to only see to be takers because our "dragons sucked" or "weren't good enough" for anyone else to want.

So please continue to share your thoughts and requirements about gifting (because I know mine have changed a lot since I last posted here), but I'd like to kinda get a listing of the things people say over and over again or always agree to. And the real secret to gifting isn't so much about the gifting, its the friends you make along the way.

And thats really the special secret to it.