Sign in to follow this  
PhantomoftheWolves

How Do You Keep Track of Your Dragons?

I use a Google spreadsheet for my holiday dragons, where I have each holiday dragon's name, species, gender, a short description of lineage (3rd gen checker from M Albino, as an example), mate's name(s), and mate's lineage(s). My lineaged ones have fixed mates, but my CBs are on the sheet as well, and if I get holiday breeding requests I put in the requested mate's name too. Almost all of my dragons are named so this works out well. This sheet is getting a tad unwieldy for Halloween dragons, though, so I may have to work something else out at some point.

I have another spreadsheet to keep track of my frozen hatchling collection, which ones I have and which ones I'm missing. That one's pretty long but it's a lot more straightforward than the breeding one, since it's basically just a checklist. My regular dragons don't have a spreadsheet, but maybe they should laugh.gif I really like making lists, and I have a lineage project in mind that will require quite a bit of planning. I don't know yet how I'm going to organize it but probably another spreadsheet.

Edited by Amberfly

My only Project is my PB EG Goldlineage.

Whenever a pair gives an egg they get sorted with another number, further down the scroll, so that I do not breed them for my lineage again. Thats all.

That's similar to how I keep track of my CB Magis. Whenever I breed 2 of them for a purebred egg, that eggy goes to Hermeline, and the parents get a name with the lastname "carrot" - there are a lot of carrot babies on Hermeline's scroll already! laugh.gif

I don't have any big lineage projects going at the moment, but I errr... I do have a rather large excel document containing the following tabs:

--> A list of all my dragons in the 'default' order - this has their code, gen, sex, breed, name, name meaning (I have a cipher thing going with a lot of mine), if they are described, their mate, their 'clan' within my scroll, and any comments (so 'Freeze S1', 'Tinselkin', 'Stairstep' etc.). Each one is colour coded by clan for easy reference. I also have it set up to filter by any and all of these attributes (I need to find a CB Pink male with no set mate? Easy!)

--> A chart with the number of CB and non-CB males and females as well as frozen hatchlings I have on my scroll. It also has breed and overall totals.

--> Another chart that tracks my scroll goal (one CB pair of each breed, and a frozen hatchling in each stage (MS2, FS2, S1).

Both the above charts are automated, and feed directly off the list so just need me to add new breeds to them, and occasionally note that a given CB pair refused, Otherwise they are REALLY useful, but I don't need to touch them. Which is why they are more likely to be up to date than:

--> A list of life-mated pairs

--> A list of unmated dragons that I require mates for

I have a few other tabs as well, but these are the most important.

I may like spreadsheets a little more than is healthy tongue.gif

I may like spreadsheets a little more than is healthy tongue.gif

I would rather say that this thing is a big part of the game for you laugh.gif

I have a word document where I list all my dragons in the same order of my scroll. They are recorded by name, lineage, gender if required, breed, mate if required, code and date on which they are stolen/bred. I also use different colours and fonts for breeding projects.

Additionally, I have my still-need/wish list in there and an IOU list.

I started recording my dragons after the data monster attack and adding a dragon as soon as it´s on my scroll and I decide to keep it is routine now. smile.gif

I am way too lazy for spread sheets or anything like that.

So, when doing my pygmy lineage, I just keep one baby from each pair to keep from inbreeding and use tools like the one on eatw.net to find ones who don't have babies yet then match their generations.

Maybe not the most efficient method but it's worked so far.

This is going to need only one word to answer on my behalf: Spreadsheets.

On longer answer, I have ton of different kinds of spreadsheets. One of them is for suffixes that I use for my dragons. Another spreadsheet is for easier legacy sorting.

Then there are breed-specific spreadsheets, where I have everything listed.

Then we get to spreadsheet with all the offsprings of existing pairs listed. Yey me!

The only problem though... the spreadsheets do save my behind more than enough, but then there's the updating. And I'm lazy when it comes to that xd.png

Sometimes I don't. X| I try to group the dragons that go with one project together on my scroll. And with my massive PB guardian project, I have frozen hatchies named at the head of each group so I know what gen they are and what part it is. But if I put a project on the backburner and don't work on it a while, then I can forget about it.

I use spreadsheets on Google Drive. One is for lineages, one for descriptions. I may add more if I feel the need.

I actually often forget what lineages I'm working on, so a spreadsheet is a nice way to keep them all together. It also lists what I need to breed and Influence.

If I'm doing a big lineage project, I might have a .txt file set aside. I also have one for the frozen hatchlings I need.

Otherwise I go off memory.

I use spreadsheets to keep track of dragons that I'm actively doing something with, like lineage projects. :B Otherwise, I don't really keep track at all to that extent, though some do get backstory.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that lists the name, breed, and gender of all my dragons. I also have a color-coded cell for each dragon that tells me whether it's caveborn, bred by others, bred by me, or inbred.

I have a spreadsheet with the following tabs:

-Dragon stats, where I keep track of exactly what I have of each breed. First column is the breed, next column is how many total females I have, next to that is how many CBs I have (or 2nd gen if CB is impossible). That repeats for males, and then hatchlings (though no CB columns for them). Each entry is color coded: light green for 'done', light red for 'not done'. Lastly is once again the breed, but colour coded: green is 'complete', red is 'incomplete' and blue is 'complete except CBs'.

-Dragon cards, where each breed is listed including its details. The sheet is shaped like trading cards; a border colour fitting the dragon, with text that also fits. The colours used here come back in all the other sheets where applicable. Each dragon lists whether I own one, if there's an Encyclopedia entry and whether I've finished it if there is, one of the adult sprites, the name of the dragon, the egg sprite, the egg description with bolded a keyword to look for, what sort of dragon it is (drake, eastern dragon, pygmy, etc), how rare it is, whether it has a BSA, its biomes (or, for hybrids/breed only, what to breed to get one), and finally whether my collection of them is complete or not.

-Nebula, which is just a sheet to keep track of my EG Nebula project

-Wishlists etc., which was originally a sheet to keep track of things I wanted which didn't fit on another sheet, but is now just a collection of random notes and info

-Neglected experiments, where I keep track of my experimenting in detail

-Sprite ideas, where I list ideas I have for sprites and keep track of projects I'm involved in. Needs to be updated really badly though xd.png

-Black/Whitelist, with people I will never trade with due to various reasons and people who are awesome and deserving of gifts

-Breeding ideas, where I put ideas for lineages I would one day like to do

-Descriptions, for keeping track of which dragons I've submitted a description for and which have been approved

-Tinsel/Shimmers, was once a sheet with all my shimmers and tinsels, but now it's just a list of all existing/found shimmers and tinsels and whether I own offspring of them

-Trades, listing everything I owe people. I should also start including what people owe me...

-Mates, recently added, listing everything I need a mate for. Which is way more than I thought xd.png

Besides this humongous document, I also have a google doc which is in the process of being expanded. On that doc I have the following:

-Shimmer lists, detailing each Shimmer I have and its breeding lists

-Tinsel lists, same as the Shimmer list but for Tinsels

-Holiday dragons, same as tinsels and shimmers but for all my Holiday dragons

-Special lineages, containing all not-too-messy Dorkfaces, Thuweds, Spriter's Alt offsprings etc.

-Shimmer/Tinsel/Holidaykin, listing the -kin I own. Still need to list the Holidaykin, though

-Other lineages, listing all interesting lineages which don't belong on any of the other sheets. Empty at the moment, still need to fill it

-Wishlist/Scroll Goal. A list of everything I need to fulfill my scroll goal.

-Prize Wishlist, a list of all shimmers and tinsels I do not yet own offspring of

-Holiday needs, which will list everything I'll need to get during holidays

-Mate needs, which will list mates I need which I can't create myself

...I may be slightly obsessed with keeping track of things xd.png

I also have a quite elaborate naming scheme.

All my dragons get the family name 'Veda'. If a dragon is a 2nd gen Veda, this becomes 'Utveda'; 3rd is 'Niveda', 4th 'Laveda', and it continues counting like that in a language I once made up.

Frozen hatchlings have a four-letter first name, followed my 'Mera' (which means 'small, little') and then Veda.

Adults always start with a roman numeral, which shows which generation they are. Caveborn dragons get CB instead of a numeral, and inbred dragons get IB before the numeral.

Then follows their proper name. The name is either made from its code or created from the names of its parents/ancestors. In general, if a dragon is female, the first part of its name comes from its father and the second part comes from its mother. Not too strict; sometimes I have to get creative to get a name I like. I do have dragons which weren't name like this, though.

If a dragon's ancestors have a returning name (Thuwed, for instance) that gets added next. Up next is the family name Veda.

Lastly is a letter or combination of letters which say something about the type of lineages. Messy lineages don't get anything; Stairsteps are 'S', Spirals 'Sp', Purebred is 'P', Even is 'E', etc. I've got quite a few by now, and I should go through my dragons sometime to make sure it's all correct and consistent...

Aaand that's it! Complicated, but just by looking at a dragon's name I can tell a lot about it already happy.gif

Edited by Rhynn Collins

You can see my insane spreadsheet here.

The first tab is a list of allllll my dragons.

Dragons are numbered sequentially in chronological order and I list their names, codes, sexes, breeds, their type (caveborn, lineaged, self-bred, inbred by somebody else, inbred by myself, first stage frozen hatchling, second-stage frozen hatchling), what lineage generation they are, and the date they matured. The spreadsheet uses formulas to calculate some other information - the # column is the breed number (I number breeds by date acquired, as year/letter/number), then the #DTGN# column concatenates the breed number, type, generation, and serial number. This column sorts to the way I custom sort my dragons. The #GDT column concatenates breed number, sex, and type, which is occasionally useful. The Ptg column includes parent names for any dragon I bred myself. It's also used as a notes field if I need to make some other type of notation for that dragon.

The second tab is where the numbers happen. This tab includes my collection goals and actual collection counts by breed, the difference between them, and the ratios between males and females for each breed, and this is how I decide what I should be collecting when I'm feeling serious about it. This info is broken down by sex and type as well, and includes cave-born dragon totals and ratios too.

The third tab is just a list of breeds, their codes, their breed type, and about how many dragons I think I should be collecting of that breed per year.

I have a massive google docs that I use xd.png It's mostly for people who would like to see what I have if they want to request something. But it's also handy as I have a LOOOOT of dragons that still need mates, so that lets me know what Holiday dragons I need to be collecting so that my mateless ones get mates

I use to have a spreadsheet but its terribly outdated now and I can't find the enthusiasm to update it. I just keep the dragons that I breed regularly or want to keep in eyesight sorted on the first page of my scroll. As for lineage projects, lineages, or CBs, I remember the names of everything. Sooner or later I might sort CBs to be before lineaged dragons though...

Sign in to follow this