PhantomoftheWolves

How Do You Keep Track of Your Dragons?

I use google docs.. it lets me share them and it's always available to me, no matter where I am xd.png

At the moment, my own magnificent brain.

I've been meaning to start a spreadsheet for all my dragons i actually breed, the list is getting a little big to keep track of mentally. Plus, my lineage projects would probably move faster.

Guess i know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Usually my brain, plus the alternate custom sort - I sort my dragons by color. I only use a spreadsheet for big projects.

This is really helpful. Would anyone else mind sharing their actual spreadsheets? When I (mistakenly) made a duplicate of this topic, I was really looking for specific examples, rather than, "I make a spreadsheet." I'm still trying to figure out the best way to organize mine.

I'm considering doing spreadsheets by lineage; all my CBs in one, all my 2nd gens in another, etc. But then do I separate by stairstep, spiral, and checker/EG? Or maybe I'd do CBs, 2nd Gens, and then pages for spiral, etc, with the generation listed. They'd have to be listed in scroll order in each list, of course. So many options. (I want tags so much.)

I don't keep track of them at all, but maybe I should. I recently forgot that I have a CB Black and a few Vines.

My memory's awful xd.png I only have about 215 dragons, and I can't even remember the rares I have.

Edit: Whoa, it's 259 dragons. Time flies.

Edited by greatguy

This is really helpful. Would anyone else mind sharing their actual spreadsheets? When I (mistakenly) made a duplicate of this topic, I was really looking for specific examples, rather than, "I make a spreadsheet." I'm still trying to figure out the best way to organize mine.

I'm considering doing spreadsheets by lineage; all my CBs in one, all my 2nd gens in another, etc. But then do I separate by stairstep, spiral, and checker/EG? Or maybe I'd do CBs, 2nd Gens, and then pages for spiral, etc, with the generation listed. They'd have to be listed in scroll order in each list, of course. So many options. (I want tags so much.)

I keep one master spreadsheet with lists of my dragons color-coded by Gen#, in columns for male and female. I'm in the process of making another spreadsheet that will have detailed information on lineages... that will be organized by EG Gen#, and then non-EGs.

I don't really know if that explanation helps (I'm really bad at explanations), but when I get back to my laptop I can show you mine.

I keep one master spreadsheet with lists of my dragons color-coded by Gen#, in columns for male and female. I'm in the process of making another spreadsheet that will have detailed information on lineages... that will be organized by EG Gen#, and then non-EGs.

I don't really know if that explanation helps (I'm really bad at explanations), but when I get back to my laptop I can show you mine.

It helps a bit. With stuff like spreadsheets I find I learn better visually, so if you can share the spreadsheet when you get a chance, I'd really appreciate it! smile.gif

I don't have any special way of keeping track of my dragons. tongue.gif I have an order to them on my scroll. Sorted by breed and then within breed, by gender and generation. But that's about it. I use different endings to their names so I know at a glance what gen they are, but beyond that, I kind of just remember them by name. If it's something rare that I breed often, then I'll remember its lineage by its name. smile.gif

There are 2 Spreadsheets in my siggy, one for tinsels and shimmers and one for what my metals can breed. This is my dragon spreadsheet. It has all but tinsels and shimmers. Sorted by breed (tabs on the bottom) and then by gender and lineage. I did it that way because it is easy to find the dragons I need and since I have so many dragons having it all on one tab lags it xd.png

I've recently started trying to do lineages, now that I have most of the dragon species I want. But I have so many dragons that it's hard to remember who's related to who and who's caveborn or not.

I just annoyed myself by finding out that a seasonal lineage I was making was inbred without my noticing. So, how do you keep your lineages from getting mixed up?

I use a naming pattern see which generation a dragon is from.

e.g.

Ki'ana Sina 0-F01

Ki'ana - prefix for all my dragons

Sina - name for all my two-headed dragons

0 - caveborn

F - female

01 - consecutive number

Ki'ana Salmu 2-F03

Ki'ana - prefix for all my dragons

Salmu- name for all my black dragons

2 - 2nd bred generation

F - female

03 - consecutive number

for lineages I draw charts like this:

user posted image

Since 2009, I have been working on a 12th even gen PB pink project entirely on my scroll and I use an excel template to keep track of all of 4096 them!

Like Lelyn, I have different surnames for different generations and mated pairs have start with the same letter so I know their position in the lineage and their generation at a glance.

A small portion of my lineage at the moment:

user posted image

I made a smaller version of my excel sheet available - download the excel template here! smile.gif

Edited by PonyTales

Google spreadsheets with links to the dragons is what I do. For projects I make a spreadsheet much like Lelyn's. I also have a spreadsheet that lists what generation, what gender, what lineage pattern, if they have a specific mate, and so forth.

I guess I can only get away with this because my scroll is still relatively small, but I just organize my dragons a certain way, according to a special "hierarchy". Each lineage is designated its own surname (or Clan, as I like to call it.) The CBs are put up on top, second gens after CBs, followed by third, then fourth, etc.

I suppose when my scroll gets larger I can start using frozen hatchlings. Maybe I could even make a Clan just for placeholders to make it feel more natural.

Like Lady Fiona, I use Google spreadsheets and have printed out (on actual paper) the chart for a 7gen even line, just to keep my SoulPeace doggerel straight and who breeds with whom.

I use naming schemes for my caveborns. Then I tend to name the offspring after their parents so I can tell that they're lineaged. I try my best not to keep my own dragons' offspring if I can avoid it. I still try and check lineages before I breed as well though.

I just have a file on my computer with all my dragons listed in the order they appear on my scroll by name, gender, species, basic lineage shape (even-gen, stair, etc.) and generation. That, combined with double-checking lineages before breeding a pair the first time, has been working nicely.

I never trust my notes anyway, and double-check each time when I'm breeding if the intended mates are actually the correct ones biggrin.gif

Since we got a rename feature I make excessive use of it for breeding purposes. For example if I plan out a lineage from the CB gen, I mark all participating dragons with an "x" at the end that I remove once I have an offspring of the dragons, so I know each breeding cycle which dragons I still need offspring of and whose offspring I already have on my scroll, so I easily avoid breeding (half-) siblings within a lineage.

Yep, I'm a huge fan of Google spreadsheets too. Here's the one for my current personal project.

There are so many functions that I love about it. I can put in the links of each dragon as it's bred, so I know how to influence it and then how to name it once it hatches. Also the links let me quickly pull up a pair to be bred. If a pair refuses, I put a red border on it so I know to rebreed one of the mates. If they don't produce, I put 'em in purple to remind me to use Fertility on one of 'em.

It's a good system. The only time it's even a little bit tedious is when I breed a new 2nd Gen, 'cause I need to input the parents as well as the offspring.

Edited by Stromboli

I do have some spreadsheets that I use to keep track of lineages and CBs, but it's gotten to the point where I'm tired of using them and am missing quite a few recent dragons. I'm entertaining the idea of programming a GUI to store information about all my dragons in a much more manageable format... I'd still have to manually add info for new ones, but it'd be a lot easier to search for specific dragons and I could also have it automatically keep track of my scroll statistics based on what I enter. I just need to find time for coding.

(This is rather like the How Do You Keep Track of Your Dragons thread, btw.)

Edited by Dimar

I sort by breed, and I name everything. I don't have a particular naming scheme, mostly I just use my head. I do spend too much time looking for a precise mate sometimes, but for lineages, I have a Google doc I where I keep track of things. I should probably move to a spreadsheet soon...

When I first started playing on 09 there weren't many dragons, so I kept up on paper. Each dragon had a page, with all sorts of info on it, then there were breeding pages, until I ran out of notebook space.

Now I have a spreadsheet, which has tons of pages with loads of information on my dragons.