PhantomoftheWolves

How Do You Keep Track of Your Dragons?

I have my scroll sorted by breed. Keeps tracks of genders, hatchlings and all that by itself.

two ways.

i custom sort my dragons on my scroll. i sort by personal appeal and how valuable they are in trades.

then i have 2 google doc spread sheets i use.

1 is my trade doc, that has all of my Holiday, Tinsels and Metals on it

info included

- set mate

- type of lineage

- linked to lineage

- IOU list last date bred and the result if they produced an egg

- name and gen

- and for tinsels, the originating Tinsel

i keep another doc that has a page for everything else on it

- 1 page per lineage project

- scroll completion goals (how many of which dragon i still need)

- mates i'm building for dragons.

i also keep track of IOUs, gifts and trades int he notes section of my profile here on DC

Funny, i just spent a while updating my spreadsheet and putting it on Google Drive and this topic creeps up ohmy.gif In the past i haven't been good at updating it so i'm hoping this will help, but i like to have separate tabs for different gens so i can spot potential mates better, and also to keep better track of my first lineage which i'm working on right now. But i do also try to group stuff on my scroll, its just not that easy to do in a way that pleases my organised brain happy.gif

I do a few things to keep track of my dragons.

I have them custom sorted by breed, where the most recent release is at the top and my oldest breeds are lower down. At the top of my scroll are the unpaired dragons who are waiting for mates, along with frozen hatchlings not yet sorted by breed.

I keep track of my holiday dragons by using a docs spreadsheet so I know if the dragons has a mate or not, if it is described, or even what gen/lineage it has.

Some of my more important dragons are just always on my brain, so I keep track of them by memory. (*cough* Ferrod Arutu *cough*)

My brain ... which is why I often make mistakes and misbreeds tongue.gif

This laugh.gif

I don't make too many mistakes, but when I do, I absolutely love it. wink.gif

I pair different dragons at random times, so I can't even put them relatively close together because I would be reorganizing my scroll too often.

/Just finished organizing my scroll for a lineage I'm going to continue working on. It took about 3 hours and more. I hope to not do this again any time soon...

I keep track in a few, minor ways, but not much.

I have a word doc that I meant to use for breeding, but I ended up only using it to keep track of names I plan to use.

I have few enough dragons that I can remember most of them, though.

And I use the rainbow sort thing, so I can generally guess where they are if I can't remember a specific name...

I've only made a mistake with one pair (...that I know of. rolleyes.gif ) but it's a very pretty mistake. tongue.gif

Edited by ardeo

I guess I don't X'D I'll just try to remember who to breed who with.

I forget a lot, though xd.png

I keep notes of breeding projects and who needs to breed with who to create a xth gen partner for so-and-so, etc. But nothing that organized really. tongue.gif

I keep all my growing eggs/hatchies at the top of my scroll (above the Leetle tree) and recently I've started leaving adults there who need to be bred for projects and whatnot. They get sorted once they've bred or I've sorted a partner for them. I've found it pretty helpful if a bit cluttered looking at times.

Hmm, my scroll is a mix of rainbow sorted with personal sort xd.png So it's kind of a mess, at least the last part, I only know every dragon on my scroll up to the metallics.

I keep the breeds I have on a spreadsheet. I also keep track of CBs and lineages (currently updating it) and will keep track of experiments some time next month. Breeding pairs are next to each other in my lists, but the most important ones I memorized (they also appear at the top of the breeding list).

I use a spreadsheet. One tab for each "family" (1 pair plus 2 frozen hatchies of each dragon type), one tab for miscellaneous lineages, one tab for gifted dragons and several tabs for lineage projects. The dragon names are part of the listings, too.

And, of course, one tab summing up the total numbers. smile.gif

This helps me to check the breeding status and what is still missing on my scroll.

I keep my dragons organized on my scroll by color and breed. Lineages are planned and kept track of in a Word chart, and since I have super specific scroll goals, the amounts of every dragon I need, as well as names to use and move, and times to breed, are all kept in my notepad here on the forum.

One of These Days I will use a google doc spreadsheet. If only to list my more interesting better pairs to make gift requesting easier.

I sort my dragons manually. They are 96% Even Gens, some CBs, a few spirals, stairsteps, a few other special patterned lineages, and thats it. I sort things by Gen, basically. Which means if I'm going to mate it with something, its going to be mated to something with the same even gen. So even (haha) if I mess up a mating or get an offspring I don't like as much, its still easy to gift. Once I pair off my dragons I put them towards the top of my scroll, again sorted by gen. I'd like to do a lineage project one day, but it gives me such a headache, I think it will be a long time, thus needing a real spreadsheet is going to be a long time.

I have three Google spreadsheets. One for lineages, one for all of my dragons, and one for dragons I still need.

On my scroll itself, I have all of my personal lineaged dragons together. Once they breed the egg I need, I sort them together with whatever breed they are, and just keep the egg/hatchie with the lineage group. That way, I can keep track of who I've bred and got an egg from, and who still needs to bred. Once all of the dragons in a lineage have been bred, and the lineage is finished, they all go to live with their respective breeds.

I have several ways of keeping track.

First, my scroll is sorted with Alternate Custom Sort, so I can keep dragons by breed and lineage. I keep same-breed mates next to each other, generally sorting by generation.

To keep track of my projects, I have a lair at Lairs & Layers of Dragons, a Dragon Cave fansite. If you want to see how those are organized, you can click the 'Projects' link in my signature. smile.gif It's a really easy way to keep track of what lineages I'm trying to create and where I am in the process. That's also whereI track my IOUs, my wishlist, and other lineage records, like my Tinsels and my Tinselkin, my approved descriptions, and other random tidbits I just can't keep in my brain.

Finally, I have an Open Office spreadsheet where I track my Seawyrm Pygmy lineage, which is my most complex PB lineage and is difficult to keep track of just on the scroll. While I track the numbers in my lair, I can manage names, mates, and children more easily in the spreadsheet format.

I don't. The majority of my dragons are unnamed (sad.gif), unbred, and CB, so there's not much to keep up on. Legacy custom sort keeps them listed out fine, and if I feel like breeding the dragons pretty much have set mates anyway.

(maybe if I ever get interested in lineages...)

I use an Excel spreadsheet, with multiple 'pages'.

- first one has all my adult dragons, sorted by breed, along with eggs laid/eggs survived per female.

- second page is my breeding tracker, where I mark successes, refuses, etc.

- 3rd, BSA tracker, especially for my pinks (they are the only BSA dragon I use regularly).

- Next is my list of frozen hatchlings, sorted by breed like the adults, with a short list on the bottom of ones I don't have yet.

- last pages are for tracking breeding project progress.

I don't

they are sorted by breed with slight modification for order

the ones I breed have their mates first in the breeding list

so know who to breed with

other than using the forum thread for keeping track of my scroll goal

(wishlist thread) I don't keep track of them, they big and can take care of themselves laugh.gif

Breeding projects in notepad, photoshop (for pictures where I try to figure out how I should breed them and such) and word...

As for everything else... My brain...

But I sould probably get something else to keep track on which dragons I've given a description and which ones I've yet to write one for.

As for how they're sorted on my scroll... Currently they're sorted by date, so my oldest dragon, Sheo, is on top. It's temporarly though, I tried to plan my next "move" for one of my lineage projects, so I needed to be able to look at them more closely from the oldest dragon to the youngest.

It was all carefully notated on paper until I got up to about 200 dragons, then real life intervened, and I didn't have the time to make notes. When I reached 400, I had time but decided I didn't want to wade through the whole scroll. Now, just shy of 2000 dragons, it all depends solely on my brain! blink.gif

I do check carefully to make sure I have unrelated dragons when breeding, using the AoND checker if I'm breeding 5+ even gens, and love the feature where the compatible dragons come to the top of the breeding list.

I also use the alternate custom sort, loosely color coordinated, with a section near the top for the limited Holidays, and a section near the end for my Selkins (Tinselkins.)

Usually my brain, plus the alternate custom sort - I sort my dragons by color. I only use a spreadsheet for big projects.

Same here! xd.png I also put my Holiday (Vdays and Christmas) and nonbreedables at the very beginning.

And my daydream horde is at the very end.

Currently, my own head.

However, I've been meaning for a while now to make a spreadsheet with all my adults just to keep track of things like generation, lineage and such.

Also for my scroll goals I use the wishlist thread. (though I really need to update that one too)

I resorted to a surname to distinguish my cbs from the others because those are the ones I'm going to be breeding the most... With shimmers I am going to park those at the top of my scroll, and then I'm going to find surnames for second gens, even gens, etc. :3 Right now I mostly have to click on everything to figure out what they are. >.>;

I use my magic powers.

Seriously.

Otherwise I move the ones I need up to the top of my scroll. That's about the extent of my organization skill.

Edited by Pink

Powerpoint Presentations for breeding projects; I find them extremely useful for building family trees complete with lineage links and sprites. Other than that, I keep a list of my Discworld dragons, inbreds, PB, 2nd gens and Tinselkins in my notebook on this forum wink.gif