Mistress of Whispers

What does your cave look like?

According to my scroll, I am the proud owner/caretaker of over 500 dragons. I presume then, that I am also the proud owner of a small country. Because the pygmies might not take up a lot of space, but the rest of them surely do ohmy.gif. And not just any country, but one that features jungles, volcanoes and access to the ocean. Quite possibly, it's the island from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World.

So in your mind's eye, where do you keep your dragons? What does your 'cave' look like?

I don't have a ton of dragons yet, but I imagine my cave as... a cave, leading underground, in a clearing in the woods. (Past the woods are the coastline and foothills of mountains, and stuff.) Inside the cave, it opens into a large cavern with tall ceilings, lit by fires. The cavern has rows of smaller caves in the sides, like rooms for dragons to sleep in. The open area in the middle is like the hang-out, with a firepit and boulders and stuff.

I essentially have three clans, my main clan(Australis) is practically a nation, taking up a ton of land(close to the size of Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas put together), they also live in harmony with the humans who also live there, often trading goods or services with them. They do have a main "cave" where the eggs and hatchlings are kept until they are ready to find their own home. It is more of a crafted labyrinth designed to defend them should something ever try to harm them. Other than those that live in that cave to protect and take care of the hatchlings and eggs, no one lives in that cave. Individual dragons may have their own smaller caves scattered throughout the territory, with occasional caves where several make their home. And some choose not to live in a cave at all.

My secondary clan(Borealis) lives in the far north, and are nomadic and tend to be hostile, both to humans and dragons not of their own clan. As such, they never truly have a cave of their own, though they do often stop and take shelter in caves.

The third clan(Undarum) comprises oceanic type dragons, they do have an underwater cavern that has a large air pocket where they keep their own eggs and hatchlings. They rarely have any dealings with humans, good or bad.

Note: In my mind I am not a true human, more of a spirit or ascendant.

Edited by Nectaris

I always thought of mine as a large cave hand dug on the side of a large hill. The hill is near a large forest with a small mountain range. From the entrance of the cave you can see a huge ocean with a small coastline, with it slightly curving into a small area of flatland.

My cave starts off as a huge chamber with nooks and smaller caverns for dragons (2 dragons per cavern typically.) Added to this is a pool of water that is connected to a spring fed lake elsewhere in the mountain range, a tunnel leading down to a cave connected to the sea and caverns for the sea dragons and their mates, a long winding tunnel to the base of the mountain for one family of dragons, and a nook for myself as the wizard who keeps the dragons.

There are also several caves for food storage as with having a lot of dragons that becomes important. Huge Torches light the place, with lanturns in my dwelling which also conceals a kitchen, bedroom, librabary and astronomy nook.

I have 2,329 so to me my Cave is more like a large spacious valley about the size of a the grand canyon laugh.gif

I imagine my cave starting out as a cave. There's this massive antechamber with dozens of tunnels branching out, one for each different species of dragon. Each tunnel has a lit symbol over it - the same color and design as seen on that species' egg. Across from the entrance is the tunnel to the Nursery with a symbol over it that depicts a clutch of eggs. All sorts of magical wards surround the tunnel, and two Guardian dragons stand protectively in front of it at all times.

Down each of the branching tunnels is a magical portal that transports dragons to a place ideal to their species. The portal works both ways, so the dragons can return to the cave to mingle with other species.

Well since I have about 1500 dragons... I've always imaged my 'cave' as actually a large area the size of a US state X'D with a central forest, and a clearing where the human (me) lives, like the 'captial' of my cave. Then around it are different areas where the different types of dragons live - lakes for the water types, higher hills for the alpine types, etc. The highest ranking dragons live in the forest clearing, the ones that have the closest relationship with the human clan leader. (They're the ones at the top of my scroll - and my NDs live there too since it's safest and they're fragile x3) The warriors of the clan protect the forest clearing, and the dragons will gather there in times of trouble. The young are also taken care of in the clearing, in a special nursery area the 'mother' dragons have set up. x3

Edited by Kaini

Well, the knowledge about my cave started out as a small comfortable cave, with several entrances to a desert, jungle, forest, and what seemed like a small coast. I've heard reports of a Volcano nearby and mountains, which was a good thing cause several of my dragons might feel more at home there.

Some of my older dragons have started exploring in small groups, after all someone needs to look after the young ones, and they've reported they've found not only entrances to the above mentioned places, but whole valleys, large coastal areas, seas, lakes, large rainforests and lots more. I've got a feeling they haven't even begun to see the even larger parts of their world because they tell me they can fly as far as their energy takes them and still they haven't found the end of the world.

Several of my dragons are really keen on exploring, so I'm sure I'll hear more and more about their world as they continue. Luckily for me, they also bring back food and other things for me to research, so I get to know more about their world too. I'm not really the traveling kind of person in this strange world. At least not for now. For now I'm happy taking care of the eggs and hatchlings I find myself and the ones my dragons breed.

Perhaps I'll go do some exploring myself in the future. If I do, I'll let you know what I find smile.gif

My cave is in fact, a cave, in the foothills of the mountains. It opens into a large meadow with a lake where the water hatchlings grow up, and is flanked by forest. There's a rocky overlook high above the entrance where dragons (and I), most notably this dreary Pink can survey the area, or just sit.

You'd find this Guardian diligently guarding the entrance or maybe sparring with the warrior-types on a lazy day, this Nocturne, and this Stone near the entrance. When it's nice, a lot of the dragons would be dozing or playing in the sun.

The cave itself is rather large as well, with a main "hall" if you will, where most of the dragons spend their time. It's not too large, though, as very few of my dragons actually live in the cave. Most, according to descriptions I've written, are ones met on travels and recorded, but never "mine" and some leave after reaching adulthood. There's a small pool of fresh water in the center of the main cave as well.

Several tunnels branch off the main cave, many unexplored. One leads to a small library taken care of by this Black Marrow and this Paper and a second, an alcove really, is where this Vampire is chained. One is collapsed, and a few are smaller dens such as the nursery and the healer's den. The hatchlings often lead expeditions to the shorter tunnels when the adults aren't looking.

I haven't actually thought of where I would live... Guess I should get on that.

Edited by HawktalonOfRiverClan

I see my Cave set in the side of a mountain that opens up to a large valley with a massive waterfall that feeds into a series of lakes for my water dragons. As some of the younger ones don't like to share. There's plenty of trees for the shyer dragons and a meadow for play or sleep. With the mountains surrounding the cave, they have a great range for flight, though the stone dragons like to rearrange the area. They say that there's an inactive volcano nearby but the Magmas' say there's nothing to fear.

The cave itself is large with several different antechambers for sleeping, though some of the more antisocial ones have been digging their own cave rooms, much to the despair of the rest of the Clan. But they're certainly not going to stop them as it has created a type of play place for the Hatchlings to train. There is also a large cave space dug into the top of the cave where all the eggs and hatchlings stay with the Matriarch and Patriarch of the Clan.

With the exception of a small few, they tend to spend most of the time outside the cave and only use it for sleeping.

My cave is like the Tardis; bigger on the inside.

I imagine the interior to look something like a really nice dwarven city, with passages that lead down towards underground rivers, and chambers full of enchanted sunlight or with holes in the roof, where magical plants grow in veritable forests.

My cave is actually a huge compound where champion dragons are bred and raised. It's all located on an island, with a separate cave for each individual dragon, designed specifically to their breed needs. Each dragon also has a small staff of caretakers, responsible for its health, cleaning, nutrition, etc., all of whom are housed within the mountain range that forms all of the caves and thus the island itself.

I plan on actually drawing this sometime, I think a map of my compound would look SUPER cool ^ ^

I imagine it being something akin to a Gold Dragon dwelling from Dungeons and Dragons.

"let my imagination run wild?" you got it!

What does my cave look like... Maybe less than a cave... and more of a new 'world'

(This story does not necessarily follow the story line of dragon cave, sorry)

Walking through the city you see many dragons and their owners. Interested to see some dragon collections some people have you continue throw the city. You wander to the part of town where people gather to show of collections. Many have gathered here and as you push through the crowd you notice someone suiting up a large male Black Marrow Dragon to fly. As he messes around with some bags on the ground you walk up and ask to see his cave. He turns around and stands up, you notice he’s rather tall and lean.

“Of course, but it’s not really a cave anymore you got to fly to get there… It’s much to far to walk,” he answers. You call your dragon over to you. “The name’s Zanderwolf, but most refer to me as Zander or ZW.” he replies. You introduce yourself, and you both shake hand and then take off.

You’re flying through a rather rocky area and off in the distance you see a large dome. You come up to the dome that’s made of a clear glass-like substance. The dome is extremely large are you are so distracted by it you almost didn’t see Zander take his dragon down. You quickly follow and land next to him.

“Well here it is! It’s a little empty at the moment, but it’s large enough to comfortably hold thousands of dragons.” Zander says. He shows you to the entrance and see a slip of paper nailed to the door that reads:

“217 Residents”

He unlocks the door and opens it for you to enter. As you look around you’re astonished at what lies within. Within the dome are different terrains for the different dragons he owns.

“Wow, did you breed all these?” you ask.

“No, a couple, but I found most of them. I’m not a big breeder unless it’s a rare, for my own collection, or to trade. Some of these dragons will never be bred because they’re inbred. I give them a home, since most people don’t like them…” he answers. “Feel free to explore!” He brings in his Marrow and releases it. You watch it fly off and decide to see what dragons you can find in here.

Still new at writing stories, but I hope you enjoy it.

My 'cave' is not exactly a cave, but a collection of different dragon clans and herds scattered all over the world. Most live on a large island located in the middle of a lake, some are located near or in the ocean, another bunch live in the jungle, a small handful live in a mountain or desert region, two dwell in a human village, and the rest are either vagabonds or lone dragons.

The entrance to my cave has two pillars on the sides and a wrought iron fence along the edges. Two large gates with a sign reading:

Moonwatcher1's dragons

Danger! only to be

handled by owner.

As you walk into the cave, stalls are built into the walls and pools in a few for each of my water dragons. Shelves are filled with the potions Magic Dweller makes with scrolls for practicing magic writing and potion making. The grand record scroll is in a case in the middle where all my dragons are drawn and written about. All the eggs are kept in a small stall area where they are incubated by Soft Papyrus. All dragons are allowed outside to hunt and play with the hatchlings.

hm, in my minds eye i dont have a cave, but a large library filled with floor to ceiling shelves.

each shelf is dedicated to a certain breed, where a tiny shoebox houses an individual dragon. the shoeboxes act as "Pokeballs". when i open the box (breed them) the Dragon is always there, but each box connects to a world not unlike Narnia for the Dragons to roam free.

the dragons only seem tiny to me inside my imagination, no more larger than your average action figure; but in the world they live in, they are their correct size. if i were to venture there, most would tower above me smile.gif

My cave, is cold, darkness light by little crystal lights, walking in, you can fill the chills, then scatter in the darken carvens, vampire dragon roam freely about, here they are the guardians. Only farther in,will you see a paradise where other dragon live.

Think pet shop of horrors type biggrin.gif Look far, but really big.

My cave isn't really a cave at all.

I picture it as a large island shaped roughly like a diamond, with all the biomes scattered all over along with sparse human cities. There is a capitol, where a king reigns over his kingdom, as well as several other human cities scattered throughout the center of the island. There are a few in the mountains, but these places are typically isolated.

There is coast on all sides of course, with a vast desert stretching across the southern part of the island. Almost no humans live here, but there is a great variety of dragons that love this climate who come here to live. The center of the island is mostly forest and flat open plains, with swamps scattered all over the place. The largest forest has a clearing in its center, and this is where I live and raise hatchlings and eggs. It's a humble cabin, but it's always full of dragon babies. If course, the parents stick around to help rear their young, them the family sometimes separates and everyone goes their separate ways.

The mountains run at a 45 degree angle to the coast on the northern end of the island, making them cold and snowy. The volcanic region is on the other side, a mirror image of the mountains except that the volcanic region is dark and scab-like, with igneous rock and veins of lava and super-heated rocks making it inhospitable for humans. The dragons love it, of course, though sometimes they get the oddest ideas... The volcanic region is riddles with caves and hot springs, and the inactive volcanoes are still warm enough to provide heat for some of the more elderly dragons.

I allow my dragons to go free to explore the land, but they are not technically "wild" as they always come back after a time, some more often than others. But they all come back, and always have interesting stories to tell...

I always imagined my 'cave' as a small nation, of sorts. Containing a ecosystem that can support all the different breeds. At its heart, a large castle.

The persona, the person that 'steals' the eggs is some sort of magical person with a huge fortune and a very long life. Bored, she took up dragon rearing. Frozen hatchings live with 'her' in her castle, and adult dragons are free to laze there, or roam freely.

She travels to collect new eggs, or to visit dragons that she raised.

I don't see my scroll as a cave, but I picture a landscape that looks a bit like this:

Imagine you're standing on a hill from where you can see very far. Behind you, some huge mountains rise up where the alpine dragons live. To the left the land gently slopes down to the shore of a bay that opens to the sea; it's to the west of you so you'll see the sun sink into the ocean if you're there at sunset.

To the right there is a forest with ponds and lakes for the Water Walkers, but careful, not all plants are really plants, some are actually Vine Dragons!

If you went into the forest and kept going for a long time (without being eaten by a dragon), the vegetation would gradually change into that of a jungle.

You can't see it from where you're standing, but you know that beyond the mountains there is a vast desert, and beyond that a row of very active volcanoes.

My dragons are scattered all over this land according to their species, and if I want to add to their number I travel to those places described on the main page and steal some eggs...

It's some kind of weird space-time plane in another dimension or something (although it outwardly resembles a cave besides the portal placed conspicuously in place of an entrance (which things going on outside the "cave" facade can be heard through quite clearly.)) Do not question the authority of Return Up To The Asdlsnfgf.

Vampires aren't allowed in. Not even mine (they have to sit outside the portal to the plane by themselves.) :I

Edited by Pika_Oi

I imagine that my cave is actually like a town, except I'm the only population. I live with my dragons and they help me do my chores in an everyday life in the Dragon Cave era. The dragons live in some sort of valley as if it is a dragon paradise. Some of them even wear clothing blink.gif .

There also seems to be a cave that leads to abandoned eggs and caveborn eggs.