TheGrox

ANSWERED:Raffle Rethink?

Should we increase the number of raffle Prizes given out?  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Quote mostly unrelated, but...

TJ's resume stated that there were 40,000 active users on DC. That's probably a better number than trying to estimate off of the number of Christmas dragons dropped over the course of the Christmas release. smile.gif

It needs to be based on the number of entries, though - if only half of those play....

It needs to be based on the number of entries, though - if only half of those play....

I agree, of course. I'm just arguing that 100,000 active users, while a round number, is probably not the most effective baseline for discussion.

Quote mostly unrelated, but...

TJ's resume stated that there were 40,000 active users on DC.  That's probably a better number than trying to estimate off of the number of Christmas dragons dropped over the course of the Christmas release.  smile.gif

I agree, of course.  I'm just arguing that 100,000 active users, while a round number, is probably not the most effective baseline for discussion.

How old is the resume? Even if somewhat current, it probably only takes into account the average number of active users on a yearly basis. To me it makes more sense to base the numbers for the purpose of the discussion on the Christmas dragon estimates because that gives us a better look at the numbers of people who are "active players" for just the Christmas holiday. There are quite a few people who do not have the luxury of playing year-round.. they mostly come around as necessary to log in to keep their dragons names from disappearing and/or just to grab their limited edition holiday dragons. They can often disappear for weeks or months at a time before coming back to breed stuff and what not.. so they might not really be considered year-round active, but are holiday active.

How old is the resume? Even if somewhat current, it probably only takes into account the average number of active users on a yearly basis. To me it makes more sense to base the numbers for the purpose of the discussion on the Christmas dragon estimates because that gives us a better look at the numbers of people who are "active players" for just the Christmas holiday. There are quite a few people who do not have the luxury of playing year-round.. they mostly come around as necessary to log in to keep their dragons names from disappearing and/or just to grab their limited edition holiday dragons. They can often disappear for weeks or months at a time before coming back to breed stuff and what not.. so they might not really be considered year-round active, but are holiday active.

The latest date on it was August 2012, so presumably pretty accurate.

I don't find the Christmas dragon estimates all that reliable, because after the first day the biomes were absolutely clogged with Christmas dragons -- they weren't running out anymore.

If it were based off entries and not people, one could "technically" earn more than one prize. Base the percent off the number of those who played in the raffle. Going off the total tickets would skewer the results, IMO.

I THINK TJ will have thought of that - however it is based, you have to draw from the entries, so I imagine he has done whatever he wants to prevent that - or not.

Quick question: When do you think the winners will be announced?

Only TJ knows that tongue.gif. I guess it shouldn't be too long now, but we have no way of knowing exactly.

Quick question: When do you think the winners will be announced?

When TJ sees fit, seeing that he never mentioned a date.

Last year, he made plans to announce winners on New Year's Day, and did so. On the 16th, he announced new winners because some of the first few didn't answer/claim their prize.

Two years ago, TJ made plans to announce the winners on the 20th of January, and did so.

Life isn't fair. Sad truth of life. Raffles are based on chance. This isn't like the Christmas Tree decorations which were then judged. This is a fair chance for everyone to win something, regardless of their actions afterwards.

If they leave, if they never breed it, it is their choice. Might I add, that an active player choosing not to breed, and a newbie just leaving after it grew up are essentially the same thing. You'll never get an offspring either way.

I left for a few months, but the beauty of this game is that you can come back. You don't know the circumstances of the prize winner's circumstances. They could be in a hospital, they could have passed on, they might have lost their job, lost their internet, but how dare they disappear? Give me a break. It's frankly insulting that if I won and then mysteriously disappeared would make people think that I shouldn't have a prize because they somehow "know" my real life situation, when the truth is, they have no idea what goes on in my real life.

I think some need to be more open-minded about the real lives of others before they judge why they have "left" dragon cave. You don't know what they could be going through, and there isn't always a "choice" to leave this game. It's unacceptable and very rude to think that you know what someone you don't even know has chosen (or not chosen) to do. Goodness.

Heaven forbid I win anything, because at this point, seeing some of the things said here, I would likely not breed it at all. I certainly wouldn't be giving out offspring to people who felt they deserved a prize dragon (and remember they are PIXELS) over everyone else without knowing the circumstances of those who are no longer with DC.

I think that the chance of one person being drawn more than once is fairly slim. Yes, it could happen, but I don't think your solution is the only possible way to prevent it. How about if once a person has won a prize, all further entries by that person are invalidated. Still gives everyone a chance of winning one prize based on the number of entries they had, which I think is all most of us reasonably want, but keeps anyone from winning more than one.

I think that TJ skips over a number/person if said number/person is drawn more than once. That is, they can only get one prize that year and one prize only, even if they've been drawn twice. I could be wrong on this, but it seems that this concern came up last year as well.

Heaven forbid I win anything, because at this point, seeing some of the things said here, I would likely not breed it at all. I certainly wouldn't be giving out offspring to people who felt they deserved a prize dragon (and remember they are PIXELS) over everyone else without knowing the circumstances of those who are no longer with DC.

It's funny you said that. If I won, I have a list from this thread of people who I would gift an egg to, and another list of people I would not gift to. (I would still trade with those not on the good list though.)

I would ask everyone that I gifted a 2nd gen to gift a third gen to somebody that they thought deserved it.

I got all excited yesterday, as I got an email from Dragon cave, but it was just to let me know that somebody messaged me. Talk about a letdown.

It's funny you said that. If I won, I have a list from this thread of people who I would gift an egg to, and another list of people I would not gift to. (I would still trade with those not on the good list though.)

I would ask everyone that I gifted a 2nd gen to gift a third gen to somebody that they thought deserved it.

I got all excited yesterday, as I got an email from Dragon cave, but it was just to let me know that somebody messaged me. Talk about a letdown.

That's definitely not a bad idea, kind of a "naughty and nice" list. I would probably cave in and breed at some point, but I think it would be rare. Maybe once every few months, and only then to people I felt deserved it.

Overall, the idea of this "raffle rethink" I don't agree with. As others have said previously, it doesn't fix anything, doesn't make anything more fair. It's fine as is. I think better ideas are left for any prizes that come from things that are judged, such as Christmas Tree Decorating. But given the cries made over the "unfairness of it all" I don't think another event like that will happen for awhile.

But this is how it is. Not everyone will like something or agree with it, and that's fine. I became a little offended personally over some of the things being said. What I choose to do with my dragons is ultimately up to me. If I decide to take a couple months away from the game, I shouldn't lose a chance to win a prize, and especially so if my leaving DC is not my choice.

I had two emails from DC tonight and was excited because I thought one MUST be from TJ. LOL It would be nice to win but if I don't I'll still be happy for the ones who do win. smile.gif

Firstly, I don't think we should get confused here, some of us are talking about percentages of entries winning, whilst others are talking about percentages of people who enter winning. I just wanted to make that distinction clear. =)

Yep, there's a reason I favor PEOPLE who enter, not TOTAL ENTRIES myself.

I myself am defining, for raffle purposes, "active user" as "user who earns at least one raffle ticket". Any users who are active on-site but do not earn entries are ignored--you shouldn't count people who aren't eligible to win due to lack of entry in the total number of possible winners, after all.

That only works if that is very clearly stated before the raffle ever starts that your extra entries are subject to being thrown out if you are drawn as a winner.  If the rules of the raffle don't say  that it's limited to 1 prize per winner (regardless of number of total entries per person),  then it would be flat out wrong to try and change the rules mid-game after the raffle has started and punish someone for having had the good luck to get 2 or more of their entries drawn as a winner and then denying them their legitimately won prizes. 

If a person goes out and plays bingo.. they can play one card or they can play multiple cards per round. If they are someone who plays multiple cards they have the potential to win more than once during any single round of play.  So let's say during a round of play, one person happens to get lucky and call 2 bingo's and another person calls one bingo.  The money pot for that round of play is split 3 ways - not 2.  There were 3 winning cards even though there are only 2 persons winning.

Same goes for money lotteries.  Big prize of $40 million turns out to have had 5 winning tickets sold. If one person happened to own 2 of those winning tickets then they are entitled to get 2 of the 5 shares of the winnings. The pot is not divided equally between 4 persons.

I actually just kinda assumed that the extra entries would be thrown out--I never figured I'd actually be allowed to win more than one.

I just sorta assumed that the extra entries just meant I had a greater chance to have my name drawn, and the rest would be deleted/ignored if it happened to be drawn again.

Guess that's just me. xd.png

That's definitely not a bad idea, kind of a "naughty and nice" list.

I've had one of those for a little while now--though only for one of my dragons. I do, though, have an "extra naughty" list for people I refuse to gift to or trade with, and a few slots on that are permanent...

Well, in a traditional raffle, there's nothing stopping a participant from winning multiple times if they have multiple tickets.

Personally, I'd prefer that didn't happen in the DC raffle, but you could argue that's reasonable. (Generally, the chances are very low that it'd happen.)

...Now I'm scared I'm on someone's naughty list.

Topic Reminder:

~Please stay on topic, questions belong in the help section. Take off topic chat to pm.~

After reading/handing out warns this topic appears to no longer be a suggestion/request topic. It has turned in to a off topic /chat. As such it is closed.

Sock just wanted to add that she is in the process done editing out the more extreme posts (re: not every single post that deserved it) that should have been warned for but won't due to how long ago the posts were made.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

In case _Z_'s updated post does not provide enough closure for you, let me add this:

Any raffle that DC has for future events will not be biased. All users will have the same opportunity, the same theoretical maximum number of entries, no matter how long they've been on the site (or any other factor).

That does not, however, preclude the option of simply not having a raffle. If you feel that you have an idea for an alternate (hopefully better) way of distributing prizes than randomly drawing names, please suggest it so that the community can provide input on it.