Arctic

[OOC Thread] The World of Ash

For the record, we don't have to take turns. I'd ask, though, that you don't make more than 2-3 posts before waiting for someone else to reply. This allows for small conversations without people leaving others behind. If nothing's going on, and you're just rapid-fire posting for the purpose of conversation, that's fine. Not everybody replies in eloquent paragraphs in a post-apocalyptic world, and there's no good way to roleplay conversation without either doing "bullet posts" or using some outside messenger and integrating the entire conversation as one.

I'll probably be making a post this afternoon in a bit once I'm home. Don't really know since I can't quite figure out much of what to write on except maybe some character thoughts or such.

EDIT: Ended up posting only for Levi. Figured I could spare a post or two focusing on him alone as Jasmine's got a handful ahead of him.

Edited by Narvix

Hey Narvix, just a note - Red misheard when Laviendor introduced himself, that's why I've been writing his name as simply Lavendar. If/when she calls him by that name and he corrects her, then I'll type him by his actual name. Just so you know.

Made a reply. Things should start getting pretty diverse in here.

I'm assuming that most of you might know this, but just in case: when Alice is 'clearing' a location, that refers to checking a room to see if it's safe/empty vs unsafe/occupied, the way police and military do (though Alice is obviously self-taught).

Woo, Levi's gonna join in the clearing task x3 I'll get my post made sometime tomorrow or Thursday. I've got no work for the next two days nor any plans. I'll be a bump on the log mostly unless I'm able to get myself out of the house to visit my significant other.

EDIT: I've noticed that there's another character bio on the accepted list that was added back in May. Is Insidious going to have his character meet our group in the Visitor Center?

Edited by Narvix

Hey, there. Just dropping a quick update. I've been on a job hunt recently so I haven't had much time to reply, and Limitless has been dealing with some college stuff. I'll get a reply in soon.

Narvix - I had something planned for the interior, but it wasn't too important, so what you wrote is fine. The only changes I'd make would pertain to what was actually inside the lobby. There'd probably be a bunch of old display cases long since smashed and emptied, and some faded, peeling trail maps. Graffiti on the walls, both painted and carved in to the wood, and overturned chairs and tables that had been pushed to one corner to make room for the last people who stayed there.

Insidious seems to have dropped out. Can't get in contact with her.

Edited by Arctic

Okay, I can make an edit (small one) to comment that Levi had righted one of the tables and chairs. I could also have Jasmine take note of the broken cases while Levi takes special note of the aged maps. Of course, you said it wasn't too important so I guess making the latter edits wouldn't matter. I'll still fix having Levi right a chair or two and a table.

Insidious seems to have dropped out. Can't get in contact with her.

That's a pity. I was very intrigued by Jeremy's bulging, rattling rucksack.

Good luck on the job search, Arctic!

I have a few questions regarding the building before I can make an ic post.

1. Does the stairwell door swing open into the room the characters are in, or into the stairwell?

2. Does the upper floor still have a stairwell plus door, or are those gone too?

Thanks!

Thanks!

1.) It opens inwardly from the stairwell (as in, behind the front desk, not into the stairwell itself), which is a simple compact up on the left, down on the right design, like that which might be found in an apartment building.

2.) The upper floor no longer exists; were you to try to ascend the stairs, you'd find plywood covering up the top to keep the wind out. Movable, of course, but once that plywood is gone, there'd be nothing above - no door, no walls, nothing. Just a ragged floor.

Edited by Arctic

I wouldn't worry too much. I'd like to get the roleplay more active. Reply at your leisure, but the sooner, the better. Heh.

I'll wait a few more days before posting to see if Mistress does first.

I've been meaning to post, but haven't found the time. I'll try again today smile.gif.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Arctic, I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding your last post or if you misunderstood mine, but Alice is only removing the stairwell-side half of the handle. She's not removing any of the bolts or screws, so the lock-and-tumble mechanism should remain intact. The handle merely pushes on the mechanism (so one can open the door), but it does not hold it up, so even if she removed both sides of the handle, that shouldn't reflect on the inside mechanism. Unless American lock-and-tumbles are different than European (Dutch) ones, which is entirely possible, but in that case I'd like to modify my post since Alice would be familiar with that system (and base her actions accordingly) and not the European version.

Keep in mind that it's a two hundred year old door. Admittedly, I'm only familiar with the inner workings of doors to a layman's extent, but in my mind, the handle was holding the tumbler mechanism in place, and parts of it had long since been shaken loose. It isn't so much that the entire thing fell out, it's more that it (previously held in place by the handle) got dislodged and a few screws (that had already been loosened over the years) slid out. It's repairable. Just something that shows how decrepit everything is.

It should be mentioned that I imagine the handle to be something very much like this (click). Fairly common in non-residential buildings. Something grounded in place, where you'd need a screwdriver to pull it off, but given the years and the wear and tear on the door, it could be pulled off with a small bit of force without making too much noise.

If I'm completely wrong here, feel free to say as much. Admittedly, a door is one thing I've never taken apart and examined. I've simply watched others do it.

Edited by Arctic

I grew up in an old house with precisely those handles and they fell off all the time. The rest of the mechanism never fell out with it. As a matter of fact, depending on which side of the door you stood and which part of the handle you were holding, it was a very effective way of locking yourself inside the room (unplanned, accidentally and against your will laugh.gif).

The lock is held in place with screws and such, but the only thing holding the handle in place is (effectively) the other half of the handle. The handle consists of two parts - you stick the larger part through the hole in the door (allowing it to interact with the tumble and open it) and then place the other half over the first. Then you use a pin or small screw to hold the two together and you're good to go. What Alice did was remove that pin, but that does not interfere with with the lock-and-tumble.

Of course, my experiences do not account for 200 years of rust wink.gif. Either way, the reason I'm bringing it up is because Alice's intention was to do what I did to myself so often - 'lock' the door from the stairwell side by removing the handle (which is solved as soon as you find something else to connect to the tumbler; very doable but takes a few minutes) and she now seems to have accomplished the exact opposite of that (namely to remove the lock entirely so anyone can put a finger in the handle-hole and pull the door open).

Huh. Interesting. I was under the impression that the handles themselves couldn't be removed from the grounding plate without the grounding plate being removed first. Either that, or they were a part of it (which would make sense if the plate wasn't as large as shown in the picture I linked).

My intention wasn't that the bolt itself was unusable without that half of the handle, it was that things were already so shaken up in there that removing the handle removed some needed support to the tumbler mechanism, causing it to shift out of place and fall inwards somewhat. If it was pushed back in to place, grounded and connected to the remaining handle, the door would work as per expected, without the other handle.

I've interacted with quite a few of these sorts America, and the handles don't exactly fall off. I don't know anything about a pin, only screws (click here). You can pull on them all day, and it seems as if the only way to get to them is to unscrew the handle from the door itself. But where a couple hundred years of wear and tear can loosen up the inside mechanism, it would also be able to loosen up the handle as well.

Believe it or not, I like getting caught up on minor details like this. Always makes me learn something new in some capacity.

I'll edit my post if you like.

Edited by Arctic

I've interacted with quite a few of these sorts America, and the handles don't exactly fall off. I don't know anything about a pin, only screws (click here). You can pull on them all day, and it seems as if the only way to get to them is to unscrew the handle from the door itself.

Googles... this is what I mean. The left/far part is the long part of the handle and that piece in the middle is attached to that. The right/near part is slid over that at the very end and that little hole is where the pin/screw goes in to keep them together.

In old handles, the natural wear can loosen the pin (or screw) from the hole. Then any shock (such as the door closing too harshly) causes the pin/screw to fall out and since you're pulling on the handle (you were closing the door at the time) it comes apart at that same time. The solution is to replace the pin/screw with a slightly larger one, thus making it fit again, but depending on the size those can be hard to find and/or not fit correctly either. It happened to me dozens of times laugh.gif.

There's no need to change your post, I'll just have Alice fix it smile.gif. Though obviously the ic mechanism is different than the ooc mechanisms I know, so the details of how she fixes it might be a little blurry (she can see the lock ic and work with it, but I'm having problems picturing it ooc).

Ahh. Yeah, this door handle is a lot more complex than that. Much more like the one I linked in above (in the changing-a-door-handle tutorial thing). Keep in mind that even before the bombs hit, this was a good century in the future. Older handles like that would have been phased out in all but the oldest houses, and they're currently in a commercial visitor's center. You'd likely need screws to (safely) remove the handle, but since it's been a few hundred years, the screws would just pull out of the wood if you applied sufficient force.

Keep in mind that the outside handle (the one not in the stairwell) would have a turn-key lock on it, but the inner one would always be able to be pushed. The outside handle would likely be the "main" one, so to speak - if you removed that one, then the other handle would come off anyway. But removing the stairwell one wouldn't cause the lobby one to fall. So what she's doing is certainly possible.

Interesting how different parts of the world have such differing rudimentary things (not just how they're designed, but what's still in use/what isn't).

You don't have to describe her fixing the lock in detail. It would just involve shifting the mechanism back in to place, connecting it to the other handle and fitting in the bolt right.

Whew. That was fun. I'm going to go to bed now. Heh. Sorry for the confusion. Expect to see quite a few technological locks in the future. Touch-pads (no longer functioning) and keycards. Futuristic San Francisco, after all.

Edited by Arctic