Arctic

[OOC Thread] The World of Ash

Gotcha. Are the yellow lines ooc roads (2013) or ic roads? Same question for the yellow dots leading from upper Pacifica to The Wall.

Our ic route is this:

”We're heading north through the forests until we pass Pacifica. Going to move through Sweeney Ridge and head in to the San Bruno suburb from there. Bypass San Mateo completely and we'll avoid any packies trying to keep scavs from Belmont and Redwood from moving north.”

Obviously I see Pacifica, but not Sweeney Ridge or San Bruno. Would I be correct in thinking that we'll move mostly parallel to the Western coastline?

(Sorry for all the questions. I'm horrible with maps ooc, so I need a little guidance figuring out what route our characters are taking).

Yellow lines are mostly IC roads, though some have been removed or changed or destroyed. There was a lot of urban development, and this is a modern map adapted to suit our needs. The yellow dots are sections of freeway heading north - nothing special. Anyway, point being that I'll add and remove roads as it becomes necessary to do so. I'm also not going to specify exactly what route they're taking, just the general area they're in. That way it leaves some room for creativity.

Sweeney Ridge and San Bruno are smaller suburbs - Sweeney Ridge is in the urban area north of Pacifica, while San Bruno is just south of South San Francisco, just next to the wall. You're more than welcome to look at Google Maps if you need help with points of interest - I only included major areas on this map. By the way, taking suggestions for settlement ideas, placement, points of interest, etc.

We will be moving parallel to the western coast, albeit more inland than not.

Alright, thanks. I didn't see the map link. I recall seeing a map of San Fran that'd been given but there weren't any modifications to it at the time, I think.

About the fog, I figured that'd be the case when I read about it in your post Arctic. Also, I think fog absorbs a small fraction of sound, right? But not enough to really be noticeable? At any rate, I won't have Levi notice the group until they're practically beneath him. Gorf may notice them a bit sooner.

Fog does indeed absorb sound, but it would be somewhat negligible. Right now, the whipping winds would be the main thing keeping people from hearing much.

Levi most likely wouldn't notice the group by sight (I'm assuming he went down the slope somewhat), but he might hear them as they pass by.

Gorf might hear them sooner.

Edited by Arctic

Yellow lines are mostly IC roads, though some have been removed or changed or destroyed. There was a lot of urban development, and this is a modern map adapted to suit our needs. The yellow dots are sections of freeway heading north - nothing special. Anyway, point being that I'll add and remove roads as it becomes necessary to do so. I'm also not going to specify exactly what route they're taking, just the general area they're in. That way it leaves some room for creativity.

Thanks for clearing that up! And don't worry, I won't be tracking our IC progress with a map and ruler xd.png. I just wanted a general indication so I'd know which way Alice is headed (since she can read maps).

Whoops - had a slip up. Sweeney Ridge is actually a landform, a mountain to the northeast of Pacifica.

Edit: Map update. Finished putting in all the settlements in the area (for now). Keep in mind that the shaded areas (blue or red) indicates area of influence rather than size of the town. If you're in that area, you're pretty much under the protection/conviction of the people who live there. Click here.

Edited by Arctic

@ Arctic, Thanks for the updated map!

@ Quick note to all: Several characters are interpreting Alice's reply as a challenge to Jovah and just in case that's the ooc opinion too, I wanted to clear that up. It would probably indeed sound like a challenge to the other PCs, but that is not how she means it. To her, she is simply stating a fact like "rain is wet" or "things fall down and not up"; she could pretend otherwise, but that would not be true and (in this particular situation) she values being honest over saying the 'right' thing.

Having said that, I can definitely see how it would come across like a challenge so there is not reason to change the way the PCs react. I just wanted to put above out there in case it's interpreted as a challenge ooc too smile.gif.

Whew. Sorry I didn't get a reply in tonight - I picked up Metro: Last Light and I've been playing it. Aside from being able to serve as some pretty good inspiration for some aspects of the RP, it's a fine game in and of itself.

I'll try to get a reply in as early as possible tomorrow so everyone has the opportunity/option to do the same.

Also, yeah, I figured that she was just stating an "I'm independent" thing. Jovah didn't take it as a challenge, but think about it. In a group, there should be a definite leader if the people don't know each other very well. Jovah sort of self-nominated himself since he was going to the city anyway and he's got a team comprised of a Bard, a woman who insists they've been in the city (which is difficult to achieve and basically unheard of) and a newcomer with experience who hasn't been in the area much. He didn't take it as a challenge, but he figured he'd nip whatever problems might arise from it in the bud and basically just say, "Well, you can listen to me or you can go on your own." Of course, less insulting and more casually.

Jovah didn't take it as a challenge, but think about it.  In a group, there should be a definite leader if the people don't know each other very well.

Oh no argument from me there, but Alice basically has 'does not play well with others' as a weakness and it wouldn't be much of a, well, weakness if I toss it out when it gets irrational or inconvenient wink.gif.

And since I've started RPing Alice, I'm getting an odd sort of honesty-vibe from her. I think it has to do with the fact that she's so unaccustomed to speech; words are very 'real' to her. Of course she knows that many people lie, but I don't think she tells many lies of her own, especially not if a conversation is in 'good faith' like the one the PCs are in now. She also doesn't differentiate between the intent to lie and lying. So if i.e. Jovah turns out to be a maniac who comes up with "undress and dance in the snow to distract the Blood Pack while I run off with the satellite", then you and I (and every other sane person) would think it's natural that she doesn't take that order. After all, she could hardly foresee that he would turn out to be a nut job, she didn't intend to lie and, to an extend, it's his own fault for making outrageous demands. But to Alice, it would still be breaking her word and therefore, making her a liar in hindsight, which she doesn't want.

So yeah; takes words seriously, thinks that a broken promise is a broken promise regardless of circumstance and intent, and does not play well with others. That should be an interesting mix unsure.giflaugh.gif.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

I'm going to wait until Saturday before making a post. Wish to let MW and Limit have a chance to post before I have Jasmine respond.

I'm going to wait until Saturday before making a post. Wish to let MW and Limit have a chance to post before I have Jasmine respond.

I was waiting with my post to give you and Limitless a chance to post laugh.gif. I'll go make mine momentarily then happy.gif.

Aye; addressing Jasmine directly. I was expecting the first response to be from her.

Feeling better now, so I'll go add in more environmental detail for Mistress and Lim to play around with if they like.

Sorry guys, the past week has been awful for me, I'll reply as soon as possible. MW and Narvix, go ahead and go first.

And yes, please, I'd love some more environmental stuff to play around with, thanks.

Quick note since I don't know how close the group is to Levi: When Alice is on watch / scouting / otherwise scanning the area, she does include vertical views (aka she looks up). Given where she comes from, she's very aware that many threats lurk at a height. That is not to say that she would see Levi, given the snow and that the tree itself would provide some cover, but merely that she does look up as a natural instinct.

And sorry about the short post: I sometimes (often sad.gif) have very little internet time and then it's either post only a little or not post at all, and I wanted to keep the pace moving.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Short posts are fine. Like I said, if you reach the point where you're forcing yourself to put in filler text, then it's time to stop and post what you've got. This isn't a "three paragraphs minimum" RP. This is a "post enough" RP.

Not sure where Levi is. It's sort of ambiguous. I guess he might've heard the group pass, not seen them, and might climb down and follow them out of curiosity.

Sorry guys, finals at school. I'm working on my post now. Thanks for your patience!

Also, please don't call me Limit. Lim works just fine. Thanks.

Flipped a coin for Alice's headaches: heads, so nothing happened.

(I want to record when I flip a coin, so you can alert me if I go too long without or if I forget.)

Whew! Sorry, been busy with graduation. Limitless is away on vacation right now, so I'm just passing that along. Don't know when she'll be able to reply. I'll get mine in as soon as things calm down.

Just a heads up: I have an impromptu beach-vacation coming up this Tuesday to Thursday and I will not have internet during that time. I can still surf on my mobile phone, so I can try to post from there, but if I do it will be rather short (clumsy navigation and whatnot).

Anyone planning to post soon? I'm really hoping the RP is still active, as the setting is phenomenal.

Yup, yup, yup.

Limitless is back from vacation and active again. I've no intention to stop roleplaying. Sorry for not checking in more, but things should be back on track soon.

Edited by Arctic

Sorry, guys, been really out of it mentally for a while. Post is short, I'm pretty sure it was actually Arctic's turn. Meh.

...Yup. Apparently, it was my turn to post.

I'm an idiot sometimes. So sorry. Will reply as soon as I can.

Quick update; if Mistress doesn't turn up by August 1st, I'll make a post.