Arctic

[OOC Thread] The World of Ash

Quick informative post on the Blood Pack, since it's "common knowledge" that people would know, and I've been neglecting to talk about them much. They're not really an enigma;

There's no strong documentation of the origins or background of the Blood Pack. It's known that they resulted from the collapse of some older group once Yellowstone blew, and it's known that they're pretty well organized for being armed with the equivalent of scrap. They don't go out and slaughter villages, but they are strongly interested in capturing and holding scavenging territory - their interest in San Francisco is high for this reason, but due to rumors of a bloody excursion in around twenty to thirty years ago, they haven't yet tried to go in again.

They control almost the entirety of Oakland and often go out to collect "rent" from scavenger societies in the area. They'll occasionally find raider tribes and assimilate them in to their ranks. They don't have a major presence in San Mateo, but they do have snipers along the coastline to watch for would-be raiders looking to get to Treasure Island. The only ways there are by boat or by bridge from Oakland.

The current leader, an older aged hispanic man named Rojcha Coirales, assumed power sometime before the turn of the century (that is, before 2300). They have a rather large city set up on Treasure Island, from which the bridge leading to San Francisco has been blown apart and collapsed. It's said that happened in the mid 2200s, but nobody is sure, as that was a turbulent time for the group.

Generally, they're malevolent in nature, but rarely will they line people up and shoot them for no reason. Their punishments are harsh. Loss of hands for stealing, tongue for lying, genitals for rape, feet for fleeing, etc.

By the way, if anyone has any questions you're free to PM me.

Edited by Arctic

Sounds good, Arctic.

I'm going to have to push back my post a few days perhaps. I've got finals coming up in the middle of May and a 4-5 page essay to work on that's due on the 2nd. Sorry for the delay. I'll try and get something typed up ASAP.

Ay, so many women now haha Poor Jovah x3

I think, to be fair, I will make another character, a male to even out the numbers a bit better. If you don't mind, that is, Arctic?

Yeah, Jovah is a bit disillusioned.

Not at all a problem, go right ahead.

Okay, I've already got him mostly written out. Just need to think of a past for him >_< Hitting writer's block though and I don't know where to begin.

Something he would say: "Begin with the beginning. :3"

Ay, so many women now haha Poor Jovah x3

I think, to be fair, I will make another character, a male to even out the numbers a bit better. If you don't mind, that is, Arctic?

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we should give the RP a sub-title: The World of Ash - Jovah and his merry band of women laugh.gif.

I'm glad you're making another male, Narvix. That'll shift is from 3:1 to 3:2 which is almost even.

Updated the lore a little bit~. It can be found in the, well, Lore section in the IC thread. I added an entirely new section - feel free to come up with some legends to add! They could be oriented around San Francisco, or they could be a more widely believed legend.

Updated the lore a little bit~.  It can be found in the, well, Lore section in the IC thread.  I added an entirely new section - feel free to come up with some legends to add!  They could be oriented around San Francisco, or they could be a more widely believed legend.

I had this in my last IC post:

"In most places Alice had visited, red hair was viewed with superstition and either regarded as good of bad luck; she wondered idly if the same was true in this region."

That was inspired by the fact that red hair would be extremely rare by now (since it's not a dominant hair color) and was surrounded by superstition in ancient times. I.e. the Malleus Maleficarum lists red-haired people as witches, vampires or werewolves; in ancient Egypt red-haired men were offered as human sacrifices at the grave of Osiris, either because their red hair represented the wealth of corn or because it represented Osiris' rival Typhon; Judas Iscariot and Mary Magdalene are often portrayed as red-haired; in some societies it was believed that touching red hair would bring luck, etc.

It's not mean to have any in-game repercussions (unless Limitless wants Red to encounter someone acting on that superstition); it's just one of those things that goes around like 'don't walk under ladders'.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

True enough. I added a small section to detail genetic abnormality, and another (under lore) detailing mutation.

This seems like a very interesting RP. I'm writing up one character already, but I'm curious; are RPers open to being Blood Pack or raiders? (Since there currently aren't any in the IC thread, so I was wondering.)

You're allowed to be a Blood Pack member or raider. If you're Blood Pack, I'll tell you about their laws, customs and territory. Antagonist characters are not disallowed, nor frown upon, but keep in mind that it's unlikely you'll take on a lasting role as an enemy to the main group in the RP. I'd be willing to make another character for you to RP with. Also, RP with the main group might be difficult - you'd be separated, after all, unless you chose to join them.

Let me see whatcha got and we'll talk it over.

My main wasn't actually going to be a raider or anything, don't worry. Admittedly I've got very little experience with literate RPs so I might just stalk for a while instead. ninja.gif

It's optionally literate. So far as you can type with detail, react realistically, understand what's going on and follow the rules, a short paragraph is fine for a post. Longer ones are generally preferred, but if you're on the verge of forcing yourself to put in filler text, stop yourself because you don't have to.

Addendum; edited main thread's lore section yet again. Divided 'locations' in to 'cities' and 'settlements'. Currently, Winterbury is the only settlement that isn't in Blood Pack territory.

Edited by Arctic

Question: Would there be shrubs still within woods/forests? Or would they have been wiped out?

There would be, certainly. Some of them are useful in some capacity - herbs and whatnot.

In areas more affected by fallout, nine out of ten trees would be dead and shrubs would be few and far between. But as far as vegetation goes, the hills around San Francisco are quite lush.

Additionally, I've made a map - just keep in mind that this is a modern map adapted for 100 years of development. Assume that some cities have grown together. Mostly, the urban areas grew upwards rather than outwards.

https://i.imgur.com/yRl0zAe.jpg

Edited by Arctic

I used bronze for Alice's speech now, but I'm wondering if it's not too pale to easily pick out? Did you guys and gals spot it, or shall I pick a darker tone?

How far away is the forest from Winterbury? I'm paranoid that I might have put Levi there a bit fast but, then I'm reasoning with myself that he did leave before the others.

Additionally, I've made a map - just keep in mind that this is a modern map adapted for 100 years of development. Assume that some cities have grown together. Mostly, the urban areas grew upwards rather than outwards.

https://i.imgur.com/yRl0zAe.jpg

Red is Blood Pack territory?

@Narvix - the hill that Winterbury is situated on is devoid of trees. The pines start growing about maybe a hundred meters away downhill on all sides. The embankment on the other side of the road at the bottom of the hill has trees on it, but it's pretty steep and has deep snow. Him being there is fine, just keep in mind that in the tree, he has zero visibility. It's very foggy.

@Mistress - it is indeed. Blood pack are present elsewhere, but that's the land they claim to be under their laws and customs. You could find Pack scavengers in San Mateo, for instance, and those guys would likely be much more hostile than Pack members in their own territory.

Edited by Arctic

@Narvix - the hill that Winterbury is situated on is devoid of trees.  The pines start growing about maybe a hundred meters away downhill on all sides.  The embankment on the other side of the road at the bottom of the hill has trees on it, but it's pretty steep and has deep snow.  Him being there is fine, just keep in mind that in the tree, he has zero visibility.  It's very foggy.

@Mistress - it is indeed.  Blood pack are present elsewhere, but that's the land they claim to be under their laws and customs.  You could find Pack scavengers in San Mateo, for instance, and those guys would likely be much more hostile than Pack members in their own territory.

Gotcha. Are the yellow lines ooc roads (2013) or ic roads? Same question for the yellow dots leading from upper Pacifica to The Wall.

Our ic route is this:

”We're heading north through the forests until we pass Pacifica. Going to move through Sweeney Ridge and head in to the San Bruno suburb from there. Bypass San Mateo completely and we'll avoid any packies trying to keep scavs from Belmont and Redwood from moving north.”

Obviously I see Pacifica, but not Sweeney Ridge or San Bruno. Would I be correct in thinking that we'll move mostly parallel to the Western coastline?

(Sorry for all the questions. I'm horrible with maps ooc, so I need a little guidance figuring out what route our characters are taking).

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Alright, thanks. I didn't see the map link. I recall seeing a map of San Fran that'd been given but there weren't any modifications to it at the time, I think.

About the fog, I figured that'd be the case when I read about it in your post Arctic. Also, I think fog absorbs a small fraction of sound, right? But not enough to really be noticeable? At any rate, I won't have Levi notice the group until they're practically beneath him. Gorf may notice them a bit sooner.